VCOM - class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have Sprint and it worked fine but recently thinking of switching to Verizon...Does anyone at VCOM have Verizon and had any problems there?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost everyone that I know here has Verizon. I switched when I came down and have had no problems. They seem to be the best in terms of area covered around VA, WV, and NC for our purposes.

Hello all, I have been searching health insurance plans and can't quite narrow it down. I was wondering which insurance plans are most of you all using. Athem Blue Cross Blue Shield has been completely ruled out since I am not a Virgina resident. I am considering SOMA but I do not like the fact that you have to pay up front for doctors visits and then be reimbursed. Any ideas or suggestions. :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to mention that Verizon has a great landline plan. For those who may not know, they offer a local and unlimited free long distance plan for only $49 per month. That includes having the phone in your home and all the local and long distance you want.

Where I live now the fees and taxes bring the monthly charge to $63.80, but that is a far cry from what I used to pay in long distance charges. My old bill used to run $160 per month because all our family is out of state. It is a great plan for roomates, because you don't have to worry about big phone bills and having to split up the calls. :)

I also have another question: Who are the major providers of cable, cable internet, and phone? Are the packages decent in terms of quality of service and speed?

Here is who the sellers of the house we are buying uses. I don't know if the students are using the same company.

Cable TV and Internet:
Adelphia Communications (Cable and PowerLink)
1401 South Main Street
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 552-3341
http://www.adelphia.com
http://www.adelphiapowelink.com

Telephone:
Verizon
P.O. Box 17577
Baltimore, MD 21297-0513
(540) 954-6222
http://www.verizon.com

Thanks...I keep seeing Adelphia in the apartment brochures, so I guess they are the main provider...As for Verizon, I'm thinking of switching my cell from sprint...most of my friends and family have Verizon too so...well see...

Can't wait to see everyone!

I do know that Verizon works in pockets of valleys and hills where other companies don't work. I have been happy with Verizon. I have lost very, very few calls since I signed up with them 2 years ago. They are really helpful on the phone if you ever need to call them.

I am really sad that they don't have the internet service in B-burg yet. Or at least they don't have it where I bought my house. Their service is only $29 bucks. Oh well at least I don't have to have Comcast down there. I have them now for internet and I hate them, plus they are tooo expensive. :thumbdown:

Amy,

did you turn off your karma because you're afraid I'd knock you down again? :D

DireWolf said:
Amy,

did you turn off your karma because you're afraid I'd knock you down again? :D

Yes, I just couldn't take the pressure.......................... :scared: :D ;)

Actually I caved in to the pressure and had to turn it back on. Too many people ask me to. I just hate the whole karma craze, but I am back on due to popular demand.

DireWolf...you wouldn't do that would you? :)

Amy...I saw it earlier and was going to ask you in my last post but I thought I'd leave it alone...Glad to see your karma back up... :)

box29 said:
DireWolf...you wouldn't do that would you? :)

Despite our past disagreements, Amy B and I are now dating. (just don't tell MrAmy B) :D

OMG! LOL :laugh: ....so I guess they were lovers' tiffs....ssshhhhh :laugh: (J/K)

Members don't see this ad :)
DireWolf said:
Despite our past disagreements, Amy B and I are now dating. (just don't tell MrAmy B) :D
417.gif
302.gif
malelovies.gif

Hey all,

Congratulations to you all on being excepted to VCOM and good luck. We are looking forward to having another class out here. If you all have any questions, ask. I know moving out here and setting up was a pain. Also, how many of ya'll will be attending accepted students day?

I do intend to attend accepted students day. But, can anyone from 2007 share with me their experience living in Windsor Hills? :thumbup: :thumbdown: just wanna know what you think as far as the commute and whether the professional student section is conductive to studying?

Hello, I am currently living in Windsor Hills. I will be moving out but have really liked living there. it takes 15 from my door to my seat in class and it is 2 min from downtown. I really like the location b/c it is very close to pandapas pond (mtn. biking, trail running, etc). I only had to call the maintenance once and those guys are really nice. very pet friendly and in my building there are no undergrads. They have several buildings that are for grad students and that's what i would recommend. the apt complex is not very big so there are no speed bumps and thousands of students living there (like fox ridge). let me know if you have any questions and have fun before school starts

I hadn't checked the VCOM site in awhile and was pleasently surprised to see an undate. You can now look at photos and bios of the staff and profs. It is interesting to see where they all went to school and what their research interests are. Anyway, here's the link. Hope everyone is proceeding smoothly with their moving plans. Take care.

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/directory.html

class 2008,
I will be one of the student ambassadors working the new students day in a couple of weeks. Look for me and feel free to ask any questions you like.

Thanks Sam.

Got my award letter today. Hopefully I can follow directions for all these things we have to do. Have fun applying for all this money we are going to owe :eek:

Take care all :cool:

Hey Forum,

On a lighter note (away from academics)...

I was elated to hear more good things over the last few days about VCOM. I didn't realize that not only do the students get into the football games, but many of them make it a point to go. Also, I think it is awesome that there is a gym in Corporate Research Park that is a little more than a stone's throw from VCOM's door. Finally, what do you all think about the approval of the new 4th floor? Do you think they will give us a hand in designing it?

See you all in August!!!

J

Wow, thought us current students had a pulse on the goings on of the school. DIdn't know about this new 4th floor? Can you tell us everything u know so I can start the viscious rumor here!

Yeah, apparently the official announcement hasn't been made yet. I heard word that the idea of a full student lounge (couches, tv's, etc) has been tossed around, but not a whole lot has been decided for sure.

J

Well, I know there are plans for requesting adding student space for organizations in the new third floor build-out. 'Cause we don't currently have any dedicated space in the current build-out for student organizations... but with the new build-outs that'll change! :love:

I've also heard rumors (with a capital "R") in April of plans for renovating the basement and converting that into a student lounge but it'd be even better if a fourth floor is being added :) There's nothing like the view from the top, eh? The anatomy lab, currently on the top floor, is very nice with lots of windows--so different from most anatomy labs at other colleges in some many ways, e.g. space, lighting, ventilation.

Can't wait to see all the new people! It's exciting to see so many people so interested in getting involved with student government and SOMA. Already, some of the tickets have some outstanding candidates! Go VCOM 2008!! :thumbup:

hokieDO,
As we both know someone caught a glimpse of some working plans and it'll take at least a year to materalize. However the idea of a TV, couch, and pool table will surely pick up student morale on those long days in the anatomy lab. Lucky 2nd and 3rd year classes.

HokieDO said:
Well, I know there are plans for requesting adding student space for organizations in the new third floor build-out. 'Cause we don't currently have any dedicated space in the current build-out for student organizations... but with the new build-outs that'll change! :love:

I've also heard rumors (with a capital "R") in April of plans for renovating the basement and converting that into a student lounge but it'd be even better if a fourth floor is being added :) There's nothing like the view from the top, eh? The anatomy lab, currently on the top floor, is very nice with lots of windows--so different from most anatomy labs at other colleges in some many ways, e.g. space, lighting, ventilation.

Can't wait to see all the new people! It's exciting to see so many people so interested in getting involved with student government and SOMA. Already, some of the tickets have some outstanding candidates! Go VCOM 2008!! :thumbup:

Yeeeah, I got my award letter today. :D :D But then after reading through the paperwork I was like :eek: Gosh, this is some serious debt...Will I ever own a home :rolleyes:

Took only 7 minutes on the phone with the lender to put myself into major debt. Boy they do make it easy. :)

So who are you all going to use and who did you all from class2007 use - Northstar or access group?

I used Northstar for my financial aid. They seemed to have the best rates, etc.

Also, those of you that still have to get your lab work done for the medical may want to shop around. My insurance wouldn't cover it, and I had quotes ranging from $389 to $127!!

Jay

I used northstar as well, currently they offer a little better intrest rates.

For all going to accepted students day this weekend, where is everyone staying. I will be at the amerisuites.

I went with North Star too...but my decision was a little random...I just felt more drawn to them.....I figured both companies had to be good because VCOM recommended them. :idea:

I will be at Comfort Inn or something like that. It was only about 2 stoplights from the school. I don't plan to spend much time in the room so no biggy? Also, I tend to procrastinate....so the hotel is in a good location in case I overdo it. :oops: :p

Hi all,

I enjoyed meeting a lot of you yesterday. Everyone I met seemed really nice. Sorry to have missed meeting some of you, though, we didn't stay too long afterwards because my son was anxious to celebrate his birthdday so we rushed back up to Northern VA.

From talking with our classmates, I think we are going to have a great class.

And thanks to the class of 2007 who gave up their Saturday to be there, especially considering the exam stress they have been dealing with.

Wow, it seems like after accepted students day no one posts anymore. I was glad to see so many of my classmates although we did not get to interact much I look forward to MS-I

Actually, we did. I was the person 2 bodies to your left during the financial aid workshop. You were talking about your house, hubby, and children and I said, "Are you Amy B?" I was wearing the black dress with the red flowers.

I was just curious as to why VCOM has the $25K minimum Life Insurance policy requirement?

I think it is because if something happens to you, your private loans still have to be re-paid. Life insurance is to keep this financial burden from falling on those in charge of your estate. The minimum of 25,000 is calculated by the minimum amount a student is projected to take out in private loans. I think this number is somewhere around 7,000. That multiplied by the 4 years you will be in med school is 28,000 and then of course the interest that accrues...That knocks a chunk out of what is left to pay. :idea:

Just my 2 cents

drbrowneyes said:
I think it is because if something happens to you, your private loans still have to be re-paid. Life insurance is to keep this financial burden from falling on those in charge of your estate. The minimum of 25,000 is calculated by the minimum amount a student is projected to take out in private loans. I think this number is somewhere around 7,000. That multiplied by the 4 years you will be in med school is 21,000 and then of course the interest that accrues...puts it right around 25,000. :idea:

Just my 2 cents

Perfect answer, You get an A for paying attention during the 90 minute financial aid session :thumbup:
604.gif
604.gif
:laugh:

THANX AMY!! :D Yeah that session was pretty long :rolleyes: I zoned in and out a couple of times.

90 minutes! Wow! I was unable to attend, was there anything covered that wasn't covered in any of the paperwork they sent?

Looking forward to meeting you all. The weeks are flying by! Soon we'll be students again! Bring on the Ramon noodles and Mac & Cheese!

Jay

They talked about consoldating your undergrad loans, how to handle your loans and the amounts you are going to be borrowing, how to budget to make sure you can continue to buy ramon noodles :laugh: , and a bunch of other money related stuff, such as interest rates and repayments and after school plans, etc. It was the rep from Northstar. Which was nice because I used their company for my loans.

We then turned in paperwork if we had it

We also talked about courses the first year, etc.....

Thanks, see you all soon!

In hopes of reviving our dying thread, I have a question. My HBV shots and titer will not be complete by the time school starts. I submitted the papers and they were sent back, so I do I just hold onto them until I have completed every portion of the form? :rolleyes: Will that affect my enrollment or student loans? Just thought I ask my fellow classmates before bugging the office. :oops:

Speaking about last year's class, this did not affect enrollment or loans but that was last year :cool: I would suggest getting everything you can in order before classes :scared: but if you can get your series complete before the clinical experiences start you'll PROBABLY be okay. :thumbup:

They were VERY flexible last year. In fact, Dr. Willcox arranged for special pricing for the titers and all...worth checking into AFTER you get your stuff in the best shape you can ... Good luck and welcome aboard again! :D