VCOM - class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i am getting the life and renters from allstate insurance. i think the guy's name is ron gibbson. he's name was forwarded to me last year through school's mass email and he has been helpful and laid back. unlike most agents, i guess...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the alternative list moves at VCOM. I am on the list but I'm not giving up. I just had another DO from NIH send a LOR to them.

Jamaal and Tori- I live in Bethesda,MD so I am close to both of you.

I don't know how much the list moves. I would email Megan Price and ask her. She might be able to tell you. I do know of a number of people that didn't clear the list last year, but I don't know where on the list they were. Perhaps you could PM VCOM2007 or HokieDO and ask them if thye know since they are class of 2007 members. I hope you can clear the list!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Amy, Megan Price would be the best person to contact. Good luck and I hope you will be joining us Smile80 :)

Amy,

Have you purchased a laptop yet?

if you opt to print out all the powerpoint slides, stock up on paper and ink. a lot of people switched to taking notes on their laptops under the powerpoint slides and studying from the comp. although there are students that utilize the hardcopy and prefer it that way.

That's great! I am still debating whether or not to purchase a new laptop since I just bought my Inspiron 8200 last year and it's pretty supped up except for the hard drive (30GB). It was a hefty purchase at the time and just as you know, the next month, the came up with better models and stuff. My notebook is about 7 lbs, and when you add books in the backpack, and several weeks of carrying that stuff, equals major back pains.

If I do plan on buying a new notebook, I think I would get the Inspiron 600m...it's about a pound more than the Latitude D400 which I think was the light version of what they recommended. I want to use it for music also and some gaming too...Jeez! I just can't make up my mind, especially considering my finances at this point.

Oh, do you or anyone recommend taking a typing class - I have never taken one but I do type with more than 2 fingers... :laugh: I think I use 6-8 of my fingers and I need to look at the keyboard! I was just wondering since VCOM2007 said that some students take notes in the powerpoint itself.

I have a question....Can I become a VA resident when I move to Blacksburg? I have always heard you can't become a resident if you're a full-time student but I don't know if that applies to med school especially since there is no resident discount in tuition at VCOM. I'm currently a Maryland resident but I'm not planning on living there after med school and I know I'll be in Virginia for at least 4 years. My current problem is this.....I'm thinking about buying a new car. Can I get one in Virginia with Virginia tags? Or do I have to get one with MD tags because I have a MD license? Can I use my apartment address as my permanent address when I move in? What is everyone else doing?

Good luck Smile80!!

Hi All!!
I too will be attending VCOM this fall! I am looking forward to meeting you all... I am from New Jersey coming down to VA!

The 8300 Inspiron will be fine. For anyone purchasing a computer, I would highly recommend the fastest, most reliable computer I could find--wide screen is a plus! Your life will be your computer! Some folks still print but the majority have gone electronic. If you print all of your work you will fill up a large binder EVERY week! Some lectures have over 100 slides with about 6 lectures a day = lots of paper!

Having your computer in class is actually helpful for staying tuned in to the lecturer. You see what they have on the large screen at your desk and can enlarge text and diagrams that are too small to see details.

Oh yeah, welcome all to VCOM. You're gonna LOVE Blacksburg. (Personally, I would highly recommend Christiansburg. More housing for your $$.)

Nah, don't panic about the 100-slide lectures--they are a piece of cake--they give you every detail that you need to know. The 6-slide lectures are the ones to panic about!

So does anyone recommend taking a typing class over the summer...I don't type really fast and I have to look at the keyboard. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does VCOM allow its students to participate in other programs their 3rd and 4th years outside of VA? Or is it mandatory that all electives be done in VA?
I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some input on this. Thanks.

OAM

In addition to my above posts, I have noticed that some people have very neat recording devices that are installed on their laptops. This allows them to record the lecture in mp3 format and then they can listen to or type it up later. I think there is someone who uses a voice recognition program to type up the notes. Anything goes...

Amy,

Yes, my Inspiron 8200 is up for wireless although I have a wirless card for it. It works fine...so I guess there would be no reason for me to buy a new notebook other than for the pure pleasure of shopping - especially for electronic gadgets! That is one of my weaknesses - SHOPPING - for electronics, home furnishings, shoes, and clothes! :laugh:

I have to say though, my computer does not voice record I think. I know the Sony Vaio - the little light one does and has a mini low resolution camera attached to it. Hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

PS...I am now accepting karma points too! :laugh:

Hi All,

I was wondering where everyone's staying during accepted student day. I think we are going to stay at Amerisuites again. The pullout couch is great when you have a family, plus my kids want to swim in the indoor pool.

Does time seem slow for anyone right now?

yes Amy, time does seem very slow. I wish august would hurry up and get here.

Yes, time is moving slowly along...

Question...I'm going to email the registrar with this but I thought I'd ask you all what you think.

I am finishing up my 2nd year in professional school which ends on April 23rd. Third year starts April 26th, in which I am not enrolling. My question is: I have an Intro to Clinical Medicine course that continues through the first semester of 3rd year where we will also get a grade (P/F). There will be a practical coming up on April 29th and 30th for this class listed in my transcript. But as you know, this will be occurring in the third year and I have not registered, nor paid any tuition. I talked to the registrar at my school and she said I might have to withdraw from the class. I think I should talk to the course director. Do you think this would have any negative bearing on me in the future? I am so happy to be coming near the end of this chapter of my life and ready to start a new one but this is eating away at me.

Oh, thanks Amy...and some back to you too! :)

I wouldn't think you would have any problems with withdrawing from that class. Did VCOM say you didn't have to finish the professional school program before matriculating into VCOM? If they said you don't have to finish, then they would understand you having to withdraw from a class that is a continuing course. You could email Megan just to make sure, but they shouldn't mind about a W. I had a whole semester of W's when I withdrew form my Master's program to move and VCOM never said a thing.

I agree with Amy; I had a whole semester of W's too and VCOM only made a slight reference to it during my interview. It was more like in interjection, "Oh that is why you....." But definitely ask the registrar.

Thanks for the advice. I will email the registrar and Megan Price. I think the only pre-reqs are the undergrad degree and science courses. From my understanding, any professional coursework is not really in the picture.

So should I take a typing class? :confused:

Hi all,
I just bought a townhouse at Ramble Ridge (right across the street from the osteo building) last week, and being that it is three stories with five bedrooms and four baths, I am looking for a couple of good roommates. I am open to a couple or two medical students. The place is large, with private baths, brand new carpet and paint, a middle floor for living/eating/deck, and a washer/dryer. The kitchen has every appliance you could ever need. If you are interested, send me a pm and I'll give you some more info. This is a seriously nice townhome. I'll be at the new student day with a key if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some input on their experience with AllState and their life insurance policies. Does anyone strongly recommend them or not?

Thank you Amy for the info. I have applied and have been accepted for this coming August. Now I am a little worried about meeting the deadlines. Would you recommend any other companies for the life insurance?

Well, first things first, let us all welcome you to our class
604.gif
604.gif

I am glad you have chosen VCOM. Our class already seems like it is full of a great bunch of people.

As to insurance- did you get the email that had the companies listed in it that you could use? I assume that is where you got the allstate name. I would say that any of those 3 companies listed are going to be just fine. Allstate is a great company. Maybe they would give you a discount if you get life and auto. My allstate agent is so cool and has always been very helpful to me, and I can only assume the company VCOM listed will be helpful as well.

Will you be attending accepted student's day?

Again, welcome to our class
fam21.gif

Thank you Amy B for the welcome. I am really excited about attending VCOM. God willing, I will attend on May 22nd. I have one last question for now. :) I have not started the Hepatitis B booster shot. The only time my doctor's office could squeeze me in is at the end of May. Do you think this will be a problem?

Wholehealth,
Congrats on the new home! :clap:

Well, I called Megan Price the other day and asked her if withdrawing from Intro to clinical med would pose any problems and she said absolutely not...<BIG SIGH of relief>

I am going to accepted students day and I think I'm going to stay at the Comfort Inn again.

Hey Amy,

That's a great video...brings back memories of all the hours I spent in Gross lab last year! When I view the video on quicktime, it's really pixelish and I see a trail everytime the guy moves his hand... maybe its the buffering or something...

Loyola University - Stritch School of Medicine has a good gross site as well although I don't think they have the video...

All the videos work great on my computer, but I have a cable modem and a fast computer.

I think the eye is going to freak me out. Did you have to dissect the eye when you had anatomy?

UUMMMM...I don't remember...I'd have to look at my notes & syllabus. I know...you're probably thinking "how could you forget if you dissected the eye?" I did miss a couple of labs, but then again, I don't remeber having any eye identifiers on the practicals...

I remember all the other stuff but that...so, I don't think we did it...just studied it in lecture...we did saw the head into 4 quadrants though. I hate the smell when we saw bones and stuff...YUK...but everything else was cool...except "Gert's," our cadaver, oropharyngeal area smelled gross too. If I remeber correctly, her papers said she was 83 y/o and died of cardiomyopathy. She also had paper thin muscles on her back so we had to be extra delicate...I felt sorry for the people who had overweight cadavers because of all the juicy fat which took a long time to clear away...

During gross, I didn't eat roast beef for a while either, but loved tapioca pudding which reminded me of the fat globules... :laugh:

Gross, I know.

You don't need a typing class, just bring good pens. Oh and find someone who is good at OMT to keep your hand functioning well.
Seriously there are a lot of folks who are not super savvy with computers or typing, you'll be fine.

My advice would be to go to a local health department and just get the shot. I work in a health department now, and usually the shots are cheaper and you can get in a lot quicker than your PCP.

Here is a link to the CDC website that details adult vaccinations and time frames.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5140a5.htm

Hey thanks for that link. I was going to look for that today. Glad you had it
050.gif

Box29. The tapioca pudding comment was toooo funny.
077.gif
077.gif

I also have wondered what I won't be able to eat whil taking lab. Oh well, I need to lose a whole bunch of weight so maybe I will get luckly and not want to eat anything
1055.gif
596.gif

It's been pretty quiet around here, so I'm going to ask a question.

I know some of you have purchased a home already, but for those of you who are renting, have you found and secured housing already?

Have you completed all the paperwork to be sent in too?

I have rented a spot at Knowllwood across the street. As far as the paperwork, I think ive gotten most of it sent in, just have to get a titer for the MMR but that shouldnt take to long.

That's great! Knollwood is very convenient and must be a popular pick for students...I called to see if any one bedrooms were open and I was told that all were leased out until August 2005.

From where are all of you moving? I guess I'll be the one to start. Just cut and paste...PS, I know people listed it in the attending thread but I thought it would be nice to see it here instead of going all the way there. :)

box29 - Chicago, IL (still have to find housing in Blacksburg though)

Great idea, but can we add when we expect to arrive in B-burg to your list?

box29 - Chicago, IL (still have to find housing in Blacksburg though)

Amy B - From Northern Va (moved here last year from Richmond, VA), will move officially on June 9th, but close on our house May 27th.

That sounds great!

box29 - Chicago, IL (still have to find housing in Blacksburg though), probably beginning of August

Amy B - From Northern Va (moved here last year from Richmond, VA), will move officially on June 9th, but close on our house May 27th.

Hello, everyone. I can't believe that I was accepted to my #1 pick. VCOM rocks!!! I am so excited (can you tell?). :cool: So, I see that everyone has been active with this forum. Recently, I have been in communication with some current VCOM students and lower level staff. I will be sure to share all of the information passed my way.

See you all soon.

-Justin

WOOO HOOOO! Congrats! :clap:

I can't wait to meet everyone! Are you going to accepted students day?

VCOMHereICome said:
Hello, everyone. I can't believe that I was accepted to my #1 pick. VCOM rocks!!! I am so excited (can you tell?). :cool: So, I see that everyone has been active with this forum. Recently, I have been in communication with some current VCOM students and lower level staff. I will be sure to share all of the information passed my way.

See you all soon.

-Justin

Welcome to our class
1055.gif

Has anyone received any financial aid award letters yet?

I haven't heard yet. Let us know as soon as you get something and vice versa!

box29 - Chicago, IL (still have to find housing in Blacksburg though), probably beginning of August

medicRN669- Louisville, MS, will move the 1st of aug(9th more like it)

box29 when i had called they just had a 2 bedroom open up that would be avail on Aug 9th. I just happened to luck up on the day that i called.