VCOM - class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm the first here. Here's to all who are going to be my classmates. I'm looking forward to attending VCOM next year. Hope the class of 2007 will help us out when we need it :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Woo-hoo! VCOM is awesome. The facilities are great and, more importantly, the faculty and the administration is awesome...but you already know this :clap:

There's not a lot of free time and there are some bumps in the road but everyday is better than the last.

And if your class is anything like our class, you are gonna make a lot of new friends and meet some pretty interesting folks ;-)

Can't wait to have you all on board :)

your pals -- VCOM2007

Congrats Amy.

Again, by the way, how did you find out: email, phone or letter? I know someone who is eagerly awaiting to hear from them (post interview).

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Demosthenes_7
Congrats Amy.

Again, by the way, how did you find out: email, phone or letter? I know someone who is eagerly awaiting to hear from them (post interview).

I was wondering if the person you know got any great news this week.

I found out early over the phone (10/10) but got my "official"letter in the mail on Monday, which happened to be my wedding anniversary.:D All the letters were mailed out on October 17.

So Has anyone from SDN gotten their acceptance yet from VCOM and will be joining me next fall in the class of 2008?

I was wondering if the person you know got any great news this week.
I found out early over the phone (10/10) but got my "official"letter in the mail on Monday, which happened to be my wedding anniversary. All the letters were mailed out on October 17.

My friend receive a favorable sounding in email from Megan Settle Price a week ago (partially b/c you had aleady heard, an inquiry was made). The official letter though was not received until Monday.

My friend is excited about the prospects of attending VCOM but is concerned about it being a new school. Of course the 1st year students are working hard to iron out the kinks. (Interesting thread may develop on the 1st yr VCOM, good/bad). Blacksburg area and VT are nice, however w/ another 150 in that new bldg it may get cramped.

Why did you forego the WVSOM interview? And will you attend VCOM no matter what happens w/ CCOM or any other school?

Yes, in fact we are already job searching and house hunting in Blacksburg. It is going to be rough though, trying to find a high paying job for my husband. He is an upper level executive and there are many high paying jobs like he is used in that area.

So, we are pushing forward hoping and praying he can find a job, but if he can't, well... I 'm not sure where that will leave me. I cancelled WVSOM because it is in a way smaller area than Blacksburg.

Tell your friend to PM me some time. I feel lonely in my posts about VCOM since it seems no one else on SDN has been accepted there yet.

AMY,

Welcome to VCOM. Your going to love it!! We are working out the kinks. The administration is very attentive to the students which helps.

Good luck to you with adjusting over the next several months and enjoy your free time.

I would talk longer but finals for the block await!

again, congrats :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bumping up to see if anyone has joined me in the class of 2008?

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to joining you all next year!!

I hope all you class of 2007 have survived the first block. Was it as bad as the staff has said it will be?

What is the curriculum like at VCOM?

I know it's systems-based but what have you covered in Block I?

What will you cover in Block II?

Have you studied any systems so far? What does it mean the curriculum is systems-based?

Congrats on surviving Block I and keep it up!

JolliBee,

• <b><u>The classes for Block 1 were:</u></b>
  • Epidemiology & Public Health
  • Immunology
  • Priniciples of Primary Care (Ethics & OMT)
  • Microbiology (Virology, Bacteriology & Parasitology)
  • Genetics (Genetics, Embryology)
  • Biochemistry

• <b><u>The classes for Block 2 will be:</u></b>
  • Clinical Case Correlation
  • Anatomy
  • Priniciples of Primary Care (Ethics & OMT)
  • Physiology

I'm only speaking after having one block under my belt :rolleyes: ...but systems based (<i>disclaimer</i>: to me) means that we study "systems" versus "regions". There is to be a high correlation in what is taught in all the classes at a particular time. For instance, last block we were covering globulins in biochemistry, IG-factors in immunology and host response mechansims to infections in microbiology.:cool:

I think this helps reinforce the material :D

My wife got my letter in yesterday's mail and I was accepted for 2004! Unfortunately I was in SC and my wife was in OH. Had to save the hugging for the airport!

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Jay

I reckon I will see everyone next year also. Great feeling to finally get an acceptance after the waiting. Good luck to everyone waiting and already there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats medicRN669!! Looking forward to meeting you and AmyB. Jay

Hi all,

I too have been accepted and I'm thrilled about it. I?m looking forward to August to start what seemed like the impossible dream!

My acceptance letter talked about the student handbook that can be found on the web site. Anyone find that yet? If so, can you give a pointer.

Thanks,

Congrats. Glad to have you as a classmate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are updating their web site, so maybe that part is still under developmement.

You can try this link. I'm not sure if they are the most up to date, but I stumbled upon it on the website. I spoke with Kathy Thorsten in the Registrar's office and she said we should be receiving a packet sometime in December with further information.

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/pdfs/

Hi Amy B and all other VCOM 2008 classmates! I have been wanting to join your thread, but decided to wait until it was official. IT'S OFFICIAL!!!:clap:

I am so excited about Blacksburg and not even the slightest bit worried about the newness of the school. In fact, it attracted me to the school in the beginning. I am positive that our education will be top notch.

My husband is a sushi chef, and will be looking for employment in Blacksburg (actually there are no sushi bars, so maybe he'll just have to open one:) ). Any takers??

Ok, I'm sure we'll all be in touch. Aloha.

Congrats on the acceptance, and I will eat at his sushi bar:)

Originally posted by wholehealth
Hi Amy B and all other VCOM 2008 classmates! I have been wanting to join your thread, but decided to wait until it was official. IT'S OFFICIAL!!!:clap:

I am so excited about Blacksburg and not even the slightest bit worried about the newness of the school. In fact, it attracted me to the school in the beginning. I am positive that our education will be top notch.

My husband is a sushi chef, and will be looking for employment in Blacksburg (actually there are no sushi bars, so maybe he'll just have to open one:) ). Any takers??

Ok, I'm sure we'll all be in touch. Aloha.

Welcome:clap: :clap: and congrats on your acceptance. It feels great to see our thread growing with new classmates.

Good luck on the job search. We are going through that now and it stinks. I am so hoping the new year brings us good news and we can move to Blacksbur really soon.

Happy Holiday's, classmates
Amy B.

I HAVE JUST BEEN ACCEPTED TO VCOM!!!!! I AM VERY EXCITED... ALTHOUGH I AM STILL WAITING FOR OTHER SCHOOLS... I AM VERY CERTAIN THAT I WILL ATTEND VCOM IN 2004.... I AM SURE IT WILL BE A GREAT EXPERIENCE... I HAVE A FRIEND THERE WHO IS IN HER FIRST YEAR AND SHE LOVES IT.. I LOOK FORWARD TO TALKING AND MEETING ALL OF YOU GUYS...

OAM
VCOM CLASS OF 2008

Congrats juquila and happy holidays to you, and everyone else.

Hello everyone. I was recently acceoted to vcom :clap: but I would like to get to know some of my fellow students before hand. I live in northern VA if anyone lives around here and will be going to VCOM in the fall please get in touch.
Later,
jamaal

Originally posted by jamaals
Hello everyone. I was recently acceoted to vcom :clap: but I would like to get to know some of my fellow students before hand. I live in northern VA if anyone lives around here and will be going to VCOM in the fall please get in touch.
Later,
jamaal

Hi and welcom to our official SDN VCOM thread. Congrats on your acceptance.:clap:

I live in Northern VA, but hope to be leaving very, very soon. The traffic here is awful:mad: :mad:

I'm sooo happy because I too got into EVCOM!!!! Yeah!!! Any tips on moving from the West Coast to the East Coast?

That's great. Welcome to our class. :clap: :clap: Are you sure you are going to attend, or do you still have other options?

It is cheaper living in Blacksburg than what you are probably used to on the West coast. Where will you be moving from?
:clap: :clap:

I live in California and am more than likely going to accept VCOM's offer. As a matter of fact, my husband has started hunting for employment in the Blacksburg area. The school, it's faculty and staff are awesome and Blacksburg seems like a nice place to raise kids. Plus, there's NO TRAFFIC...YEAH!!! I have another interview scheduled for next Wednesday with another osteopathic school. Since its already scheduled I'll attend, but am debating whether I will consider additional interviews in light of how I feel about VCOM. Have you interviewed elsewhere?

Someone in another thread had said that Penske had cheap truck rental rates. Maybe your significant other will find a job in VA that will pay for the move?

Best wishes on your decision!

Jay

Hello everyone! Just ringing in to say hi to VCOM 2008! Finishing up finals here in the midwest and can't wait to meet you all and start school again!:clap:

:) Well, as you know VCOM gives you a call and then the letter arrives in the mail. Well, I received my call on Friday and my letter today!!!!! it is official..official I am going to VCOM. I am sending in my deposit no later than ....uh....TOMORROW!!!:laugh: I just can't wait to be there. :hardy: :D :hardy: :D :clap: Well, I look forward to long study hours with you all. Hey, I called today and knollwood is out of 1 BR but they have 2 BR available for those who are looking for a roomate. I think I may end up in Christiansburg. I don't think that will be too bad though. I do want to live in Blacksburg, butI am curious about game day traffic at V-Tech though. I don't want to have to sit in traffic for hours trying to get to Christiansburg to do my saturday shopping :( Any remarks?

Amy: I want to attend the accepted students day and also check out apts. I'll find out more soon when they email me. In addition to my deposit, I had my transcripts sent out.

Wholehealth: Any news on the sushi restaurant? I LOVE sushi and hope your husband opens up a place. I would definitely be there once a week at least! My favorites are Saba, Unagi, Anago, smoked salmon, spicy tuna, soft shelled crab, salmon skin maki, etc...I could go on and on!

:laugh:

Any other VCOM Class of 2008? Where are you all?:D

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say hi and can't wait to meet you all next year.

Jamaals- are you near either D.C. or Richmond?

Good luck everyone with moving and finding jobs, housing, etc. See you in May!!!!
Tori

Congrats to all on your acceptance to VCOM!!

I am very excited to meet everybody, perhaps on Accepted Students Day. It's kind of a long trek from Wisconsin although I'm so excited to be a part of The Class of 2008 I may just have to come anyway. I just found out about SDN a few weeks ago, and I wish I had found out about it earlier. I got my letter at the begining of November (no phone call as VCOM was on break) and instantly cancelled all other interviews and withdrew applications from other schools.

Soon after I found a place to live. I did it all over the phone and by fax. I had my girlfriend, whose in the Class of 2007, check out apartments at Cedarfield for me. I have a 2BR apartment that runs $650/month. I know several students from the Class of 2007 that live there and like it. Mostly graduate students with a few undergrads, but overall a quiet area to live. If I am not mistaken, there are still several apartments like mine available. The lease starts in August and the complex is only 3-5 minutes from school.

Just a side note, for those students who are looking for insurance. Check to see if you may be eligible to be covered on your parents insurance plan if you are still considered a dependant. If you are then you won't have to pay nearly $1000 for your own plan. Just a bit of advice to save some loan money.

Also, if any one knows anything about VT Football tickets/season tickets, please let me know. Sorry, I'm usually not this long winded. Take care all and we'll talk soon!

Matty

Hello again

My sister is going to be moving along with me and is looking for a job. If anyone has any advice about good places to look it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Matty

Wow that's great for you to have a girlfriend and a family member in the same city. It does help to have contacts when you are moving as far as you are.

So what does your sister do? What type of job would she be looking for?

Glad you were able to secure housing. I know that has been a big issue for a number of our classmates. Didn't even see it yet? You are a trusting guy.:cool: So your girlfriend goes to VCOM, I am glad you were able to get in as well.

Again, welcome to our class and welcome to SDN. Sorry you didn't find it sooner. It is a great place with a great bunch of people.

Amy B

Amy,

Yes it will be very nice to have a support network in place when I get there, and I know it will only get larger as I get to know more VCOM students.

My sister is a librarian right now, she has some college experience but has not finished with a degree. She is really open to anything. I think we are both going to come down in May to look for jobs. I was just wondering if there are any job flyers floating around with a local newspaper or something.

Have you moved to Blacksburg yet? I won't be coming for good until Aug 13ish. That's when my lease begins. I am very excited to get there ASAP. I've been off of school for a year now and I have the itch to get back into the swing of things. Thanks for the follow up. Talk soon.]

Matty

Congrats to all on your acceptance to VCOM!!

I am very excited to meet everybody, perhaps on Accepted Students Day. It's kind of a long trek from Wisconsin although I'm so excited to be a part of The Class of 2008 I may just have to come anyway. I just found out about SDN a few weeks ago, and I wish I had found out about it earlier. I got my letter at the begining of November (no phone call as VCOM was on break) and instantly cancelled all other interviews and withdrew applications from other schools.

Soon after I found a place to live. I did it all over the phone and by fax. I had my girlfriend, whose in the Class of 2007, check out apartments at Cedarfield for me. I have a 2BR apartment that runs $650/month. I know several students from the Class of 2007 that live there and like it. Mostly graduate students with a few undergrads, but overall a quiet area to live. If I am not mistaken, there are still several apartments like mine available. The lease starts in August and the complex is only 3-5 minutes from school.

Just a side note, for those students who are looking for insurance. Check to see if you may be eligible to be covered on your parents insurance plan if you are still considered a dependant. If you are then you won't have to pay nearly $1000 for your own plan. Just a bit of advice to save some loan money.

Also, if any one knows anything about VT Football tickets/season tickets, please let me know. Sorry, I'm usually not this long winded. Take care all and we'll talk soon!

Matty

Hello all VCOM!

I forgot to ask when I was there about board prep courses. Is VCOM going to offer any or get a group discount for students wanting to take a prep course? Maybe I should email Megan Price or a current student. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this...

Oh, I forgot...how do you get a little picture under your name? I can't seem to find anything about that...I want one too...do you have to be a super member? :laugh:

UPDATE: 04/11/04 - After looking through all the things on the CP, I finally found out how to do it. :D

Question:

I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 last year...it's a little heavy and thick...but it is really supped up...except for the hard drive which is 30GB. I just recieved the email from Megan Price and went to the Dell page for VCOM. Do you think it is worth it to buy another notebook-one that is thinner and lighter, or should I just stick with what I have?

What are the rest of you doing?

hey all-

I was accepted to VCOM in 12/03, but i have just gotten around to this site. I am excited but nervous. I am coming from Atlanta, GA with no family, friends, or pets in tow. I am a little nervous about financial aide as my credit is less than perfect . :wow: Hope to see y'all at the student's day in May.

robert

It's so good to see so many VCOMers on here. I hope to meet you all in May has everyone found health and life insurance at a good price?? If so please pass it on to me.
Bye,
Jamaal
P.S.
Tori I am in the DC area.

As far as the football tix go I know that right now season tix for students are going on sale. If you do not get a season pass then you can wait until fall and get your free student ticket then. For the really big games tix are distributed via lottery. for Matty's sis, VT is a huge school with several dif. libraries and she should not have a trouble landing a job. one classmate's husband works for the VT lib. as well. For the computer, your dell should be just fine. i bought a cheap compaq and it has served me very well (I don't know how to use it other then for school stuff, so I really don't need anything fancier), but if you are into technology then it is up to you. good luck to all of you and see you in august

I have my life insurance through American Chemical Society. You have to be a member, but I still found it to be cheaper than several other options. You'll need someone to sponsor you for membership I believe. I'd be willing to do that, if you find ACS is the way to go for your life insurance.

http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/insurance.html?DOC=insurance\index.html

Health insurance is offered by SOMA for DO students, you can check here and see if the plans are going to work for you:

http://www.somainsurance.com

I believe as VCOM students, we're going to be members of SOMA. You may need to check on this one though.

Take Care!

Jay

for life insurance i got a local insurance agency and they are relatively inexpensive. but it depends on age, health and ... i got my health thru SOMA insurance for osteopathic medical students and it is affordable compared to private agencies but it is pretty basic. adios

Box 29,

You might be able to sell your laptop on eBay or to a friend or family member? I got a D600, and it is light, fast, and the wireless works well with the built in antennas. I wanted something light, since we're going to have to carry it every day! I think VCOM also wanted 40GB or above on the HD.

I actually got the D600 quite a bit cheaper by watching Dell for specials. I was able to buy it through the small business division, since I'm using it for work as well right now. Maybe you have friend/family that would qualify for the small business deals. Just check the Dell website under small business and see what is best for you.

Take Care,

Jay

VCOM2007- what life insurance agency are you using?

Also, can anyone recommend a renters insurance agency?

I'm going to be living at Cedarfield too with someone who I haven't met from the list Megan sent out. I'm a little nervous about that but since I don't know how much financial aid I will be receiving I thought it might be safer that way for now.

Jamaal - I'll be in Baltimore for most of May - July so that's really close to D.C.

One more thing, is anyone living in Knollwood or one of the associated apartments using the NTC (I think that's the company) package for internet/phone/cable? Knollwood gave me the form for it but when my future roommate called the company they didn't mention it. It sounds like a great deal if it is offered.

Tori