Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so i went to my "exist counseling" session for undergrad loans a couple of weeks ago... i was told that you can only defer loans (don't know the exact technical term - maybe "economic hardship") about three years after you get out of school. i.e. after med school. so basically your loans will start incurring interest once you get out of med school, but you can delay paying them back another 3 yrs.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure that interest doesn't accrue on the unsubsidized Staffords during deferment? I think that just means that you don't have to pay them back during that time. I believe interest still accrues. I know it does on the GradPLUS loans.

Oh really? Hmmm...during my Duke interview, she told us the fed govt pays the interest while you're in residency. I could be wrong...time to check over my Duke fin aid notes!

I checked: you're right...interest accrues but you don't have to pay it just yet. OOOO...Duke interview paper is nice and shiny hehe. Sorry for the confusion :(. Med school information overload.

Here's a website that has some of the details:

http://www.slcsloanhelp.com/forbearance%20- mandatory.htm

No problem :hungover: .

So, I'm faily certain I'm attending Vandy now...finalizing withdrawals now. What exactly do we need to do to reserve a spot before May 15?? Does the acceptance letter have to be postmarked by May 15 or does it have to be in the office by May 15? Do we have to pay any money?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you actually have to do anything before May 15 except NOT withdraw your acceptance. :) Your spot is already reserved. There's no deposit required.

Woot! Having to pay no money rocks!

Don't worry, you'll have to pony up soon enough :(

Thanks for shattering that moment of carefree bliss ;) .

I emailed Pat Sagen about where to email our final transcripts (and what to do if we took a summer course at another college as well):

Please send your final transcript with degree posted to Medical
School Admissions Office, 215 Light Hall, Vanderbilt University School
of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232-0685. Send the transcript from the
institution from which you graduated and the transcript from any other
college you took courses.

I emailed Pat Sagen about where to email our final transcripts (and what to do if we took a summer course at another college as well):

What if I took college courses in high school?? I included those grades on AMCAS but I'm not sure if they'll really care about them for this purpose.

What if I took college courses in high school?? I included those grades on AMCAS but I'm not sure if they'll really care about them for this purpose.

by my wording in my email to her....I think they're going to want all transcripts that you sent to AMCAS....

can anyone familiar with nashville give me some clue about the housing situation? is it easy to find housing?
is it too risky to arrive in nashville late July (1~2 weeks before school starts) and look for housing?
thanks

can anyone familiar with nashville give me some clue about the housing situation? is it easy to find housing?
is it too risky to arrive in nashville late July (1~2 weeks before school starts) and look for housing?
thanks

Arriving one to two weeks before classes begin may be slightly too late if you want to find an apartment near Vanderbilt, though I don't know much about the Nashville "market". What might help you, however, is the new requirement that Vandy undergrads live on-campus for all 4 years, so there will be probably be less "competition" than previous years. I'm going to find an apartment a little farther away from campus because paying $1000+ on something that could be around $700 five miles from campus seems like a waste of money. I don't mind driving either, but that's probably because I'm from LA originally.

And now, time to celebrate!! I've officially finished college!! :D Glad I'm getting the heck out of Durham!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. You definitely want to head out to Nashville to find housing sometime this summer.

Meeher, you're so lucky. I have a couple more days (and finals) left. :cool:

You'll be done soon enough, and then you'll start feeling sad to be leaving :(. It's been a good four years, but it's time to move on to bigger and better things. :hardy:

My biggest problem now, though, is getting rid of my nocturnal tendencies. All those projects and papers before and during finals week have made me nocturnal and now I can't sleep at night!! :( I end up watching random shows on TV and playing with my Wii...ugh, so bad! But, at least I know I won't mind it when I'll be on-call hehe.

By the way, have you decided?

And who else is excited about Pirates and Shrek this summer?? :D

thanks

I've actually decided to head over to Nashville around May 17 and find an apartment before I head back home for the summer. That way, I can store my car and other stuff (TV, computer, printer) at the apartment and not ship them all the way back to CA for a few months, allowing me to save some money. I would recommend this, since it'll make life in July/August a lot easier and stress-free.

Withdrew all of my other acceptances today, guys! I can't wait to see some of you in the fall!

Withdrew all of my other acceptances today, guys! I can't wait to see some of you in the fall!

Congrats!! I really should send those withdrawal letters in too!! Lazy me :rolleyes: .

Everyone's probably busy with finals and end of year activities, but I thought I'd add something that the registrar's office told me regarding the grading. I know a lot of schools have P/F but they secretly rank students for AOA, Dean's letter, etc, so I asked Vandy today how they do it. The registrar told me that there is no ranking throughout all four years of med school, and AOA is determined by third and fourth year grades since it's on a HP/H/P/F system. I like that a lot because it takes the "hidden" competition out. Good luck you guys with finals and stuff!!

Everyone's probably busy with finals and end of year activities, but I thought I'd add something that the registrar's office told me regarding the grading. I know a lot of schools have P/F but they secretly rank students for AOA, Dean's letter, etc, so I asked Vandy today how they do it. The registrar told me that there is no ranking throughout all four years of med school, and AOA is determined by third and fourth year grades since it's on a HP/H/P/F system. I like that a lot because it takes the "hidden" competition out. Good luck you guys with finals and stuff!!

:thumbup: thanks for getting us this info.

this makes my decision to come to Vandy even more logical

More construction news: they're renovating Langford Auditorium right next to Light Hall. It will be done in December. So much construction, but i like it :).

Graduation was yesterday, and it starts out with all undergrads and grad students together (then grad students go off to their own ceremonies). They had each school stand up, and the med students were by far the most fun...they were shooting silly string and screaming...so great!! We have that to look forward to in four more years :D

What goes on there?

Med center-wide lectures and performances. I think the Discovery Lecture Series is held there.

Suzi, our graduation is May 11-13, so I'm in the midst of all that right now :). Actually, I'm late to an event so time for me to go!!

Just sent an email to Dr. Zic and Dr. Sagen committing to Vandy and they responded. I'm officially going :)!

anybody know when we can get a Vandy email account?

I want to start using one!

anybody know when we can get a Vandy email account?

I want to start using one!

Probably once the 'waitlist shuffle' dies down a bit so they won't have to create unnecessary accounts.

Probably once the 'waitlist shuffle' dies down a bit so they won't have to create unnecessary accounts.
For undergrad, we got them in the middle of the summer, for what it's worth. They have to create your VUNet ID -- once you have one of those, you get email and access to all of the Vandy services. I think the med students have Exchange accounts, which would be nice.

For undergrad, we got them in the middle of the summer, for what it's worth. They have to create your VUNet ID -- once you have one of those, you get email and access to all of the Vandy services. I think the med students have Exchange accounts, which would be nice.

What is Microsoft Exchange anyway? :) I like how we get browser Outlook email access...that rocks. They had that at the NIH when I was there and it made life much nicer.

By the way, how is apartment searching going? I'm leaving this weekend for Nashville and it's been so hard to find apartments over the phone/Internet near Vandy that are cheap and still available. I'm hoping my trip there will help, but I get the feeling that I'm going to have to store my stuff in Nashville until apartments become available in July :(. I talked to a 3rd year student at Vandy over the phone on Monday and he told me it's much easier to live right off campus, as he lived a little farther away first year and he hated it when he had to go to anatomy lab or other committments late at night, so I think I'll just live close and bite the bullet for spending more money and getting less. The Westboro seems like a good place (and cheap!), but there are no availabilities this summer, and she doesn't know if any will become vacant after August 1 since 60-day notices come in around June 1.

By the way, how is apartment searching going? I'm leaving this weekend for Nashville and it's been so hard to find apartments over the phone/Internet near Vandy that are cheap and still available. I'm hoping my trip there will help, but I get the feeling that I'm going to have to store my stuff in Nashville until apartments become available in July :(. I talked to a 3rd year student at Vandy over the phone on Monday and he told me it's much easier to live right off campus, as he lived a little farther away first year and he hated it when he had to go to anatomy lab or other committments late at night, so I think I'll just live close and bite the bullet for spending more money and getting less. The Westboro seems like a good place (and cheap!), but there are no availabilities this summer, and she doesn't know if any will become vacant after August 1 since 60-day notices come in around June 1.

just sent you a PM...

Hey guys, I've officially decided to go to Vandy. (I made the decision a little while ago but with finals, graduation, etc. but I haven't posted until now.) It was a tough decision between Baylor and Vandy, but I knew that I would be happiest at Vandy. I'm looking forward to meeting you all this July/August. (Anyone know when orientation starts? I can't find that date anywhere.)

Posted this on the Baylor Waitlist Movement thread but here it goes again:

"Congrats!"

Orientation is from Aug. 2-3.

Thanks for the PM Quynh! I actually found an apartment about 2-3 miles away that I really like after I posted the original post. It costs a little more than I want and it's a little far but I think it'll be an ideal environment for me (To save myself from the stress involved with moving, I want to be in the same apt for at least 2 years so I want to go someplace I'll be happy). I'm going to go see it once I go to Nashville this weekend to confirm my decision.

Posted this on the Baylor Waitlist Movement thread but here it goes again:

"Congrats!"

Orientation is from Aug. 2-3.

Thanks for the PM Quynh! I actually found an apartment about 2-3 miles away that I really like after I posted the original post. It costs a little more than I want and it's a little far but I think it'll be an ideal environment for me (To save myself from the stress involved with moving, I want to be in the same apt for at least 2 years so I want to go someplace I'll be happy). I'm going to go see it once I go to Nashville this weekend to confirm my decision.

Hey Meeher
Just curious -- what's the name of the complex ur looking at?
I have been looking for weeks and still on the fence about whether I want to be close or far away and where i want to live.. ahhhhh

I've been weighing the pros and cons of this, too, and I think I'm going to live farther out. I'm buying a place, and you can get something MUCH nicer and bigger if you're willing to commute a little. Plus traffic isn't too bad in Nashville, and Vandy isn't too far off from the interstate so most of your commute can be on a highway which makes it not seem too bad.

Hey Milk..where are you looking to buy something? In what part of Nashville? And will you be buying a house or an apartment? My mom was actually encouraging me to buy a place too.

About living far away, you've got to think about the snow and ice during the winters...the past four years at Durham were terrible whenever it snowed because they didn't have the equipment to handle it, so it would often take people like 6 hours to get back home when it would usually take them like 20 minutes! That's what I'm most worried about.

Hey Milk..where are you looking to buy something? In what part of Nashville? And will you be buying a house or an apartment? My mom was actually encouraging me to buy a place too.

About living far away, you've got to think about the snow and ice during the winters...the past four years at Durham were terrible whenever it snowed because they didn't have the equipment to handle it, so it would often take people like 6 hours to get back home when it would usually take them like 20 minutes! That's what I'm most worried about.

It snows about once every four years in Nashville, and when it does there it is usually no more than 2 inches. If you're looking to buy a place you can find pretty affordable houses near the Belmont area. Some can be expensive, but the price range for homes in the neighborhood is huge, homes can go from $180,000 to $500,000. And Belmont is a 10 min bike ride away (mostly downhill on the way to Vandy).

For people planning to commute with cars: if you know, what is the parking situation at/near the medical center?

Thanks...

That's great! I've never lived more than 15 minute walk away from my classes, so I can't stand living too far away. For everyone else, I'll tell you kinda what I told Meeher. I found this nice apt complex near belmont U (less than a mile from Light Hall, around .7miles to where my classes are in Peabody) that was 1bd1ba (700-750sqft I think) for $475 (only pay electricity) that has 1-2 availability at the beginning of each month for this summer, and allows for a 9 or 12 mo lease so if you really are miserable, it's only 9 mos, and the rent is really great for one person...good luck to all finding apts :luck:

What is Microsoft Exchange anyway? :) I like how we get browser Outlook email access...that rocks. They had that at the NIH when I was there and it made life much nicer.
Exchange allows you to do shared email, calendaring, etc. You can also schedule meetings, vote on things through email, and you get sweet webmail (way better than the undergrad squirrelmail). Probably some other stuff too.

For people planning to commute with cars: if you know, what is the parking situation at/near the medical center?

Thanks...
25th Ave. garage, 7th floor. Approximately $10/mo. from what I've heard (also way better than undergrad).

For those of you thinking of buying a place: I did it. I recommend it. (I can give you the name of a couple really good real estate agents if you want.) But I would warn you to proceed slowly and carefully. Traffic in Nashville is actually worse than you think, especially your first two years when you are coming in right when everyone else is (8 AM classes). I am from DC where traffic is terrible and I kept on laughing when everyone warned me about traffic (I just rolled my eyes). But it turns out they are actually right - its much worse than you would expect for a city this size and definately not something I would want to deal with every day! Third year is much better traffic because you are coming in way early, though you may leave closer to rush-hour or have to wait an hour or so if you dont want to sit in it.

Buying a place that is 4-5 miles away seems like an OK commute buy may actually be 45-60 mins! I know a student who bought her first year and actually moved her second year (and had trouble selling!) because the commute was just awful and she wanted to be closer to her friends and everything. I know a couple other people that sold their house after their first years, also, because they didnt like the location. (Both had husbands who worked in other areas so it was less straight forward, one's husband switched jobs, etc., but they hated having to buy and sell and move after a year.) I'd say the same about renting, but its much easier to move if you rent than if you buy. Definately drive your commute aiming to get in at 8AM and leaving campus at 5 PM before you put in an offer. Traffic right around campus is also decently bad, like getting in and out of the parking lot, but not awful. And unless you bike or walk to school, you can't avoid it.

I waited until I was here a year before I started looking to buy. (And then it took a year for something I wanted to open up! I am really glad I waited, though!) It turns out I figured exactly which neighborhood I wanted to live in (I moved across the street!!!), but I would not have been so confident about that before I had been here at least a few months.

So basically to summarize, my advice is not to buy until you are sure you know what you want. :cool:

Just wanted to put in my two cents about housing for med school here at Vandy.... for the past three years, I have lived with two of my classmates in an apartment complex less than 1.5 miles from Vandy. The complexes around here are pretty nice, and you can find apartments for <600/month, if you are looking to rent. I definitely agree that you might want to think twice about the traffic you are willing to deal with... traffic around the Vanderbilt and downtown areas has gotten worse every year, and you will not want to be wasting precious time sitting in traffic! On the flip side, I have classmates with great houses a little further away from school (there are a lot of cool neighborhoods in Nashville), and that has worked well for them! It all depends on what you are looking for.
I hope you all enjoy your summer, and we look forward to seeing you next year! Welcome to Nashville!

Any of you guys know how bad traffic from 440 is? I'm looking at a place right past it on Hillsboro. Thanks :)

Any of you guys know how bad traffic from 440 is? I'm looking at a place right past it on Hillsboro. Thanks :)

A lot of folks live in that area (2600 Hillsboro or so). You will hit traffic, but the commute wont be too bad and you can probably find other first years to carpool with if you want. You should also be able to figure out some back-roads to get off of 21st which will help. You could also bike from there.

any thoughts on living on Acklen Park Drive (namely Park Ridge and Westmont complexes)?

its a little further than Fairfax (.6 vs. 1.1 miles) but it seems a bit better.

any thoughts on living on Acklen Park Drive (namely Park Ridge and Westmont complexes)?

its a little further than Fairfax (.6 vs. 1.1 miles) but it seems a bit better.

I dont know if anyone has linked to the Paddle yet. The housing section is great. (Actually, the whole thing is, but for figuring out where to live.....) Sometimes you have to "read between the lines" since the editors dont want to get landlords mad at Vanderbilt. (ie, "occassional plumbing problems" could mean our sink got stopped up every month and took a week to get fixed!)

I dont know anything about Park Ridge nor do I know anyone who lives there. Maybe someone else does.

I looked at the Westmont when I moved down. Based on my ten mins in the building, I would agree with the paddle: "Students reported some
maintenance and security problems...This complex received mixed reviews from previous students." The lights were all burned out in the halls (I think one worked, but it was super dark!) and there was a note on the door to someone's appt which asking the pest-control people not to spray on their table and their counters when they had left food out. I was not impressed. I also couldnt get them to call me back or answer the phone when I was trying to rent which makes me wonder how responsive they will be when you have already signed a lease! But maybe I just saw it on a bad day and\or things have improved. I dont know anyone who lives there.

That said, I think the neighborhood in general is fine. A lot of students live over there and it is cheaper than Fairfax\Acklen. It is not walking distance - as much because there arent sidewalks as anything else. The places I looked at on Long Blvd were really nice. I obviously prefer Hillsboro Village (I live on Fairfax), but I would say the students who live off of Acklen Park are happy and like the area. They aren't the ones who are looking to move halfway through the year because of traffic or sketchy neighborhoods or whatever.

so no go on walking from Acklen Park...I thought that a 1.1 mi walk would be doable??????

so no go on walking from Acklen Park...I thought that a 1.1 mi walk would be doable??????

You can walk if you want but all that people I know who live there either drive or bike. I think it might feel just a bit too far and its not a "nice" walk. (You dont walk by pretty houses or whatever and there aren't side walks from West End to your appt or house.)

Here's a map to Light Hall. You can probably find some short-cuts if you work at it.

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/66c279ebfe9f479590a6ed854010ec68

Hey guys,

Drove to Nasville yesterday to do some apartment hunting today. I can post up the info I get from the apt complexes I look at today if anyone wants it. I'm stopping at the admissions office first because apparently JoVan has this huge housing book that she says is helpful.

hi meeher,
that would be *really really helpful and i'd be very thankful too =)
i'll be making that drive in 2 weeks. any info i could get would be awesome!

I'll be in Nashville for most of the summer if anyone needs any help!

According to a third year at Vandy that I talked to yesterday at dinner, he told me avg Step 1 last year was 240 but that it was hard to quantify 100%. He also explained that Vandy usually does really well because the profs also write the real Board questions, so students come into the test seeing the same types of questions. Almost every subject's leading prof at Vandy (micro, immuno, pharm, neuro, etc.) writes Board questions that are used.

I'm still in Nashville so I'll get those apartment summaries done when I drive back :).

Hi all,

I am a current third year (almost a fourth year - yeah!!!) taking next year off. I will be renting my condo and would prefer to rent it to a medical student. (Clean, neat, vegetarians preferred, but I wont be too picky if you promise to take good care of it!) It is in Hillsboro Village on Fairfax Ave between 21st and 24th and takes me 10 mins to walk to class or the hospital (I have been known to walk it in 5-6 mins when I am running late!) and just a couple blocks from all the Hillsboro shops\restaurants\bars.

It is a furnished one-bedroom, one-bathroom (about 700 sq feet) in a quiet, small complex with a recently renovated bathroom and kitchen, gorgeous hard-wood floors, large closet, dishwasher. Laundry room in the basement. Plenty of off-street parking and a bike-rack to park your cycle. Nice neighbors including another almost 4th-year med student next door, a couple grad student, a couple residents, a couple nurses, and generally friendly folks to live around.

Available July 28th. Could most likely work out an earlier date, like July 21st if that is important to you. (Orientation is Aug 2nd and 3rd.)

PM or e-mail if interested in seeing it.