Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to Vandy last night, so I thought I'd start up a thread for potential Vandy students, to help us find out more about the school, future classmate, and the Nashville area.

I don't know if I will ultimately end up at Vanderbilt, but one thing that I definitely got from my visit was that the students were extremely happy.

On that note, I'll start the thread with a question that maybe some current students could answer: Why are Vanderbilt students so much happier than other medical students?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey QM, congrats on the acceptance (apparently we interviewed on the same day), and I gather you have some other interviews coming up as well. Best of luck.

I'm kinda in the same boat in that I loved Vandy, but I'm not 100% that I'm going to be there next fall. I'd be interested to find out exactly what makes Vandy so enjoyable from any current students. Any commentary on Nashville, the classes, etc. would be much appreciated on my end!

Cheers

hey guys, congrats to all!!! vandy is my number #1 choice, the only reason that i would not attend would be because of financing... but hopefully all will work out :)
anywho, NashVegas is a great place to live, definitely affordable compared to the northeast or the west coast. i'm an undergrad at vandy, so any questions are welcomed

best,
farikanok

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey QM, congrats on the acceptance (apparently we interviewed on the same day), and I gather you have some other interviews coming up as well. Best of luck.

I'm kinda in the same boat in that I loved Vandy, but I'm not 100% that I'm going to be there next fall. I'd be interested to find out exactly what makes Vandy so enjoyable from any current students. Any commentary on Nashville, the classes, etc. would be much appreciated on my end!

Cheers

The thing is that any school of Vandy's calibre that I'm seriously considering (e.g. Baylor, Penn, etc.) also has really happy students and provides a great academic environment. Vandy is my only acceptance, but its really early, so if I do get into one of these other schools I'm seriously considering, I'm going to have a really difficult decision to make!

I was really impressed with the school's facilities along with the students themselves (very friendly, wouldn't expect anything less in the south though). I didn't see too much of the clinical facilities (the same goes for everywhere I else I interviewed).

I am also very fortunate to have been accepted and am very excited about Vandy! Like many of you, I'm also not positive I will end up at here next year, as I still have to hear from some schools and financial aid will play a role in my decision, but I hear that Vandy hosts a great second look weekend and I already can't wait to go back for another visit!

Hey everyone,
I got in early to Vandy through a binding program, so I will definitely be going there next year! I am an undergrad at Vandy now, so let me know if you have any questions.

My first post on SDN and I get to make it on this thread. I loved it and am real excited about the prospect of going there. I hear a lot of great things about vanderbilt: esp w/ regards to student satisfaction.

anyone have anything negative to say? i don't mean it in a defamatory way.. just trying to hear opinions that may help me decide. for one, i hear the curriculum is a little traditional.. with the exception of the awesome Emphasis program, of course. what have you guys heard? or experienced?

My first post on SDN and I get to make it on this thread. I loved it and am real excited about the prospect of going there. I hear a lot of great things about vanderbilt: esp w/ regards to student satisfaction.

anyone have anything negative to say? i don't mean it in a defamatory way.. just trying to hear opinions that may help me decide. for one, i hear the curriculum is a little traditional.. with the exception of the awesome Emphasis program, of course. what have you guys heard? or experienced?

Hey all, another potential Vandy '11 here =) The traditional curriculum is undergoing a complete overhaul next year, and becoming much more integrated with possibly less class time. Check out the website for the updated version. I love everything about the school except for the fact that it's far away from home. See you all on second visit!

the long days of class are a definite negative. When I compare it to Baylor or UCLA, I could see myself happier at the other two schools due to their less time spent in class, which obviously allows for one to pursue other interests and be a person in med school. That being said, Vandy is changing their curriculum so maybe things will be different if we go there.

Thanks.. yeah you guys are right. they will have a new curriculum by the time we get there. Will probably learn more during the second visit.

so back to quantum's first question.. what is it about vandy that the students are so happy?

Students at Vandy are happy for many reasons. Nashville is a nice place to go to school, it is affordable, easy to get around, Vandy is close to good bars, great music, near downtown but in its own collegiate area. Everyone in the south is nice, so it is really pleasant to do your chores. (Plus Vandy undergrads will do your chores for free to you,they get paid by Vandy). The school is unbelievably supportive of its medical students. They make you feel wanted and nurtured. You may not think that is important, but med school is not like undergrad. You work so much harder, and at Vandy the administrators and teachers really care about you. They feed you, clothe you (OK, just scrubs and a white coat) and attend to your psychic needs.
The student body is brilliant. Most everyone was accepted to the ivys, to UCLA, to WashU etc, but turned them down to go to a school where you are nurtured, where kids are not super competitive (tho all study a lot) but where everyone helps out. It is one big family in many ways. In the first year class, the most kids from any undergrad campus was Vandy, followed by Harvard, then maybe WashU. Which is not to say that the kids from the state universities are not brilliant, they are. And all are nice. The curriculum will undergo a change next year and should cut down the number of hours in class, but if classtime is productive, it forces you to learn and not slack off, so it is OK. I turned down a bunch of schools "ranked higher" to go to Vandy and I didn't make a mistake (so Far). 'The match list is great, and you are going to a school that is supportive and that has students who are social and kind. Come back for second look weekend and you will see the difference. That is what sold me. Before all the second look programs, I thought I was going somewhere else. But when I really looked at what my life would be like, I picked Vandy.
One other difference with Vandy and most other schools. Part of the curriculum is the Emphasis Program where you pick a prof and do research in first year and the summer after, so as an official part of the program all students have research experience. At other schools (Duke being a major exception), research is not part of the curriculum and you have to search it out and it is really hard to have time if it is not part of the curriculum and the profs know that they need to bend to first and second year students' needs. One other example of how Vandy cares for its med students.
Good luck with your decisions. There is nothing like your first acceptance to take the pressure off!!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say "hello" on the potential class thread. Like most of you, I'm not sure where I'll end up but I'm excited about Vanderbilt and will hopefully see you in April.

If (when!) you decide on Vandy for med school, be sure to get on facebook and join the class of 2011 facebook group! Good luck in the rest of your interviews and in the process of deciding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say Happy Turkey Day to all my potential future classmates. Eat up!

:D

what are people hearing about the curriculum changes - are they on track to become operative next year ?

yes, they are on track to be operative next year

Has anyone been accepted lately? Waitlisted? I feel like it's about a month timeline between interviewing and hearing...

Our lack of class pride as evidenced by our lonely thread hurts my heart.

Also our lack of class members.

Where is everyone?

hopefully i'll be joining this thread in 6-8 weeks :scared: :p

yay for vandy! i love the school - though i'm still considering a couple other places. anyone have any downsides (other than $$)? i came out of the interview in love with the place and in a way, an almost too good to be true vibe. i feel like i missed something - what don't people like about vandy? why do people choose elsewhere?

I might go elsewhere (other than $$) because I'm tired of TN (lived here all my life). It might be nice to have a change of scenery. Otherwise, Vandy is very nice!

I really want to know more about the change in curriculum...any current student at Vandy who could give some info would be appreciated!

I would definitely like to know more as well. It seems pretty similar to the old curriculum. Was the old one systems-based? The new one of course is. Does anybody remember if class will still be from 8 to 5 everyday? I don't think it was said during my interview day.

I also really want to know if there will be any free time (i.e. before 5pm, like what if I need to get my car fixed or goto the dentist type time) like other schools have put into their schedules (Baylor and UCLA give their students alot of free time, often a couple afternoons a week they are done at noon!) during the preclinical years. The info on Vandy's webpage isnt extremely detailed.

the curriculum wasn't systems-based before, as far as i know. I have talked to many current med students here and they are all jealous because they think the new curriculum will be much better (and easier!) I'm definitely looking forward to it! And the Reel book was great..I just got it today!

the curriculum wasn't systems-based before, as far as i know. I have talked to many current med students here and they are all jealous because they think the new curriculum will be much better (and easier!) I'm definitely looking forward to it! And the Reel book was great..I just got it today!

what is the Reel book? and why haven't I gotten it:oops: ?

what is the Reel book? and why haven't I gotten it:oops: ?

The Reel is a spin-off of The Paddle. It has some basic info in it about Vandy, student life, curriculum, etc. Nothing you haven't seen if you've seen the online Paddle.

I got mine in the mail over the holiday, so you should probably get one soon too.

The Reel was in my Vandy mailbox when i got back to school on the 9th. although it was mailed through USPS, not our internal school mail... anywho, as someone said before, it's just general info about vandy, nashville, and the school. i don't think it replaces the Paddle, as the Paddle is for the incoming class, not everyone who is accepted.

got the Reel today...sweet!

Hello probable classmates (we should wear SDN name stickers at Second Look weekend). The curriculum is completely revamped. MUCH more like UCLA's is, without the overdose of PBL like Cornell. I'm also really excited about their new anatomy lab in a completely window-ed lab at the top of the building. I've only heard back from 4/9 interviews (all good news thus far), so I'm waiting on the rest. But of the four so far, I'm going to Vandy.

I read the entire Reel today (it's fairly light reading), and I'm very excited about the biking possibilities (my interviewer and I talked about biking for about 5 minutes of the interview, it's a good thing to have in common in Nashville, I guess). The only issue is, I'm CA (well, I'm not California, but I'm from there). And I have a crazy attachment to this coast... Is anyone else transplanting from somewhere else? Second thoughts?

OH! One last thing. I'm bringing along a wonderful boyfriend (someday soon fiance?? I'll let you know). My best friend goes to Vandy, and he says that they are great about having couples events and the such so that sig. others can feel like part of the Vandy family. Vanderbilt just is so... nice.

I read the entire Reel today (it's fairly light reading), and I'm very excited about the biking possibilities (my interviewer and I talked about biking for about 5 minutes of the interview, it's a good thing to have in common in Nashville, I guess). The only issue is, I'm CA (well, I'm not California, but I'm from there). And I have a crazy attachment to this coast... Is anyone else transplanting from somewhere else? Second thoughts?

I've lived here in TN all my life, and a part of me really wants to leave (either coast would be awesome). However, I've never lived in middle TN or Nashville so it will be a bit different should I choose to accept Vandy's offer of admission. Remember that med school is only 4 years in length and the potential residencies you could get coming out of a place like Vanderbilt will allow you to move to another part of the country after your time there. I think you'll find the South an enjoyable place to live (I'm not conservative or religious at all, and I have no problems living here), and I think most people don't require the glamour of NYC or LA that make those cities better than a place like Nashville.

bump time....it seems kinda lonely here :(

just wanted to let other accepted Vandy med students that the online financial aid form (there's an additional one to the FAFSA) is available (it wasn't a week or so ago).

How bout I buy a house and we do medical school Grey's Anatomy style? Any takers? Or... who knows. I'm having my friend taking me on a housing trip while I'm there to know the areas that are the best to live in (I'm a biker, I need to be in biking distance).

Is anyone bringing a significant other or any family members to second look? I emailed Pat and he said we could bring people (but they had to pay for themselves.

Last question - has anyone bought their ticket/made hotel reservations yet?? Or are they going to send us a packet to help us plan? And, are you guys getting there friday or thursday?

Hey y'all (yes, that is Southern speak for everyone :laugh:) and congrats on Vandy 2011! I also recently found out I got accepted for the class of 2011! I also went to Vandy for undergrad and stayed here for my year off doing research at the med center and have lots of info about Nashville (and just can't seem to get enough!). That being said, I'm originally from Maryland, and can understand a coaster's concern about being far away from the water/being in the South/not being on a coast, and it is definitely valid. When I first moved to Nashville I didn't like it, but I think that could also have been attributed it to it being my freshman year as an undergrad. Over the years I have grown to like Nashville, and would be fine staying here for 4 more years, especially since Vandy is such a great med school. If anyone has a specific question about Nashville, my transition, or anything else feel free to post it or send me a PM.

In regards to the curriculum changes, I have done some research here and have found that 1) the amount of info covered in the anatomy lab is being reduced in volumte (by about 40% from one student, he told me Vandy's anatomy lab was notorious for being the most overwhelming) 2) we would not be in class from 8-5 but probably more like 8-2 or so 3) there are elective and emphasis time blocks designated in the afternoons but they don't actually take up all that time. for example my friend has an elective on wed from 1-3pm and meets for emphasis on tues from 2-4pm that leaves him monday, thurs, and friday afternoons free. Does that make sense?

Also, I would definitely wait and see what sorts of Fin Aid you get, since Vandy is known for giving lots of scholarships to help out their students. I think I heard somewhere around 27% get academic scholarships!

No problem Dr. Watson! That is just what I heard though, so not completely set in stone. I am just happy that they are decreasing the amount of classtime. I also heard today that the schedule will be broken up into two week blocks so there won't be overlapping exams. Sounds good to me! :)

Anyone know if the new anatomy labs will be available for us (in 2007). The building they are in is still under construction and I heard from a professor that they may not be in use until 2008. Anyone heard anything? I really would prefer to not be in a windowless basement :eek:

In regards to choosing between two schools, I say you should go with your gut feeling on which one you liked better. While you can get lots of SDN advice on what one person liked or didn't like in the end you are the one who is going to that school. If you are between two places that is what second look weekends are there for! :luck: with your decision! It is tough (trust me I am also trying to decide between a few good choices)

Hey guys, here's some info from my student host on the current schedule:

M1 Fall: M,W,F 8-12; T,Th 8-4
M1 Spring: all days 8-12

M2 Fall: MWF 8-12, TTh 8-4
M2 Spring: TWF 8-12; MTh 8-4

From M2 Spring onwards, you also have Emphasis as needed.

She said she has no idea how much class time will be changed with the new curriculum, but that she knows they are cutting down on the lecture time. She didn't know if that time would be replaced by small group or not.

Still, the current schedule is totally cool with me, so if they're planning on improving it... even better. :D

Hey guys, here's some info from my student host on the current schedule:

M1 Fall: M,W,F 8-12; T,Th 8-4
M1 Spring: all days 8-12

M2 Fall: MWF 8-12, TTh 8-4
M2 Spring: TWF 8-12; MTh 8-4

From M2 Spring onwards, you also have Emphasis as needed.

She said she has no idea how much class time will be changed with the new curriculum, but that she knows they are cutting down on the lecture time. She didn't know if that time would be replaced by small group or not.

Still, the current schedule is totally cool with me, so if they're planning on improving it... even better. :D

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!! I've been wanting this schedule forever!

doesn't look as bad as some people have made it out to be. Vandy is amazing!

Also, I heard that the new anatomy lab will be up and running for us!

Sweet! Vandy just got a little more perfect. I'm starting to care less and less about all that waiting for those other schools. ;)

yea i'm all about greys anatomy style living...count me in!!

How bout I buy a house and we do medical school Grey's Anatomy style? Any takers? Or... who knows. I'm having my friend taking me on a housing trip while I'm there to know the areas that are the best to live in (I'm a biker, I need to be in biking distance).

Is anyone bringing a significant other or any family members to second look? I emailed Pat and he said we could bring people (but they had to pay for themselves.

Last question - has anyone bought their ticket/made hotel reservations yet?? Or are they going to send us a packet to help us plan? And, are you guys getting there friday or thursday?

so when is second look weekend? :D

Vandy will make your hotel arrangements - everyone stays at the same place... But I would definitely come to 2nd Look if you are on the fence - there is nothing to lose from it! (FYI, Dr. Sagen is a female...)

glad to see that this thread is finally starting to get more posts...

has anyone seen the schedule from past year's second look weekend? any current students lurking that might remember what events go on? I'm just curious about what's going to be going on!

Yeah, I'd love to know what's going on Friday night. Emory's second look is the 19th-20th, so I think I could theoretically make it if there's nothing big on Friday. I really want to go to both because they seem very similar. Anybody have any thoughts on Emory vs. Vandy? (Probably the wrong place since everybody here is partial to Vandy ;))

On the Emory vs. Vandy issue this is my opinion and I will say that I interviewed at both schools and liked Vandy more after my interview (even though I thought it would be the opposite going in to the interview season):

*Emory is graded (A/B/C/D/F) while Vandy is P/F (this is awesome and makes things less competitive and more relaxed your first two years)

*Emory has block exams so that you have all three of your exams (one for each subject) in one day wheras Vandy has them spread out so you at least have a day in between (I can't stand taking 8 hours of tests multiple times a semester. The USMLE will be enough!)

*Atlanta vs. Nashville: Atlants is a bigger city, and thus probably has a lot more things to do. However, it is much more sprawled, which I found aggravating. I'm originally from the DC/MD area, so I understand urban/suburban driving issues, but I found Atlanta to be a bit excessive.

*Grady vs. Vanderbilt Hospital. One thing that is really really impressive about Vandy's hospital system is their bioinformatics technology. You can access patient information from computer throughout the hospital network and even when you are at home. It is fabulous! (people in my lab, I work at vanderbilt medical center, often have to acccess patient files, and they can do it without having to go to that specific center. very convenient). It is also great while you are on rotations your 3rd and 4th years (what I've heard from students)

*I think the new integrated curriculum at Vandy with the intersessions will significantly improve upon the clinical training one already gets at Vanderbilt and I haven't seen any proposed currriculum changes at other schools that come close to matching what Vanderbilt will be doing for us next year.

Anything else other people can think of?

You can't really compare Vanderbilt Univ. Hospital and Grady. That's like comparing a Hilton and a Motel 6--they're in different classes. Emory has Grady--a big, public hospital where you'll get tons of experience and exposure to everything. Vandy doesn't have a public hospital besides the VA (which Emory has one too). Emory also has two nice, private hospitals that are on par with Vanderbilt's. So you can compare those. At least from my preliminary assessment, I think I would give the nod to Emory for clinical preparation. From what I know thus far, you simply can't beat the training and exposure that you get in a big public hospital. I'm sure clinicals are great at Vandy, but bear in mind that at the end of the day, you're at a private hospital and you won't have the same liberty or responsibility that you would at a public hospital.

I agree with you on all the other points. Well-put.

Could you elaborate on the clinical curriculum changes that Vandy is enacting that you haven't seen any other school come close to matching?

You're right about trying to compare Grady and Vanderbilt Hospitals (public vs. private). I do think you will get a good clinical training experience at both, but maybe more hands-on at Grady? I talked to my PI in my lab (who is an MD) about this perhaps lack of clinical exposure at Vandy and he said that while this clinical exposure during your 3rd and 4th year at a public hospital would be extremely valuable, it isn't as if you won't learn it all during your residency. You will get to see lots of patients in your lifetime, hence clinical exposure for 30+ years! Also, I still don't know how I feel about the fact that at public hospitals medical students seem to do more to/with the patients. It almost seems as if these patients at public hospitals are being somewhat exploiated since they can't afford to pay for private care (being treated by students vs. residents vs. physicians). However, that is a whole other thread, I'm sure. :oops:

In regards to the clinical curriculum there is one big difference that I've seen at Vanderbilt: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/admissions/academics.php
There is a link to the new curriculum. If you look at the 3rd and 4th years you'll notice one-week blocks between each rotation called "intersessions." From what I understand, these blocks give you a chance to learn about this specialty before being thrown into it head on. You practice basic skills you'll use in the rotation (putting in IVs, stiches, etc.) and you'll be able to review what you learned in your first two years of basic sciences. That way you can really pull together the anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and all the other subjects from two years prior, that applies to that specialty before stepping foot onto the wards. I think this is really cool, and demonstrates an integrative way of thinking about the clinical years. I went to listen to a guest speaker here at Vanderbilt who spoke about "how to change the medical school curriculum" and it was interesting to hear about some of the ideas they had about trying to make the clinical experience have more continuity to it. I think Vanderbilt is really trying to implement some of these suggestions and I'm interested to see how they work out. I haven't heard of any other schools on my interview season talk about this sort of integrative look at the clinical years, but maybe I just haven't been interviewing at the right places. Hope that helps somewhat!