Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oops...double post.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone

Guess what this week is?? :)
Well on another note, Im going to try and find a place to live for the school year during second look... some way some how. I ended my denial that I was still actually considering Duke...im leaning way more towards Vandy at this point.
So, I figure its good to do it now especially cus Nashville has so many professional schools, etc so i bet the housing market is stiff.. correct me if im wrong....

On that note, would someone PLEASE mind listing or PM'ing me with a list of places they would recommend that are CLOSE to vandy (walking or biking distance) and that are safe to live and quiet. Are there any new complexes that have gone up in nashville close to vandy?? On an earlier note in this thread, someone mentioned Hillsboro Village, but didn't mention specific places.
I really like condos or really anywhere spacious.. It would be greatly appreciated, because right now im pretty much lost in that arena and getting kind of stressed about it.....
If I have to hail a cab to look at the places, then thats what ill do... haha :oops:

Hey! I'd like to come along too! I need to find an apartment as well, and I'm fairly certain I'm not going to consider Pitt anymore (my other top choice), so I also need to get an apartment in Nashville. Coming from Durham, I have no idea how to maneuver Nashville either =(.

Man, I should really book my flight to Second Look. I'm such a procrastinator :thumbdown: .

P.S. Since they pay for transportation, I decided to rent a car in Nashville to make life slightly easier (only like $40 for 2 days anyway without the under 25 charge...Grey Line itself is like $18 and you can't do anything). We could possibly search for some apartment complexes that way.

If I understand correctly, I believe they pay for transportation in that they have already arranged it with the bus service. I don't think we submit receipts for that. Regardless, even if you have to pay, it's not too bad when you consider how much the whole weekend is costing.

Oh really...well I guess that's OK considering it'll probably save me a trip during the summer to check out apartments.

If anyone has free time (which is probably doubtful at this time of year), you should read Crichton's Next--I just finished reading it for class. It's really good and pretty relevant to the future of medicine and gene therapy. Of course, Duke Univ. saving the day may have helped in my final analysis of how good the book is =).

Members don't see this ad :)
so dress for the 2nd look in a couple days is:
Dress for the weekend is business casual (no jeans or tennis shoes). You may be in the hospital on Saturday so please dress in professional attire.

so a polo or botton down w/khakis is great for Friday. But what about Saturday? Should I assume professional attire means a suit or just a shirt and tie?

p.s. the weather on Friday and Saturday in Nashville looks perfect! :hardy:

so a polo or botton down w/khakis is great for Friday. But what about Saturday? Should I assume professional attire means a suit or just a shirt and tie?

I'm really not sure, but I think for Saturday they want shirt and tie?? I'm assuming this because doctors usually don't wear suits to work...just shirt and tie, but who knows what they want out of us. Whenever I go to Duke Hospital, it seems students also wear shirt and tie, so that SHOULD be what they mean. But again, who knows??

hey guys...i just now found this thread which i guess means im pretty stupid...im 98% sure im coming to vandy this fall so im definately excited about this weekend...i see alot of you are planning on lookin for a place to live this weekend, im in the same boat..any ideas as to how you are gonna fit it in? i had no idea they had 2 pages of stuff that would be going on for us....oh, i guess i should tell you a bit about myself...im from sarasota, fl and i go to emory university

Hey! I'd like to come along too! I need to find an apartment as well, and I'm fairly certain I'm not going to consider Pitt anymore (my other top choice), so I also need to get an apartment in Nashville. Coming from Durham, I have no idea how to maneuver Nashville either =(.

Man, I should really book my flight to Second Look. I'm such a procrastinator :thumbdown: .

P.S. Since they pay for transportation, I decided to rent a car in Nashville to make life slightly easier (only like $40 for 2 days anyway without the under 25 charge...Grey Line itself is like $18 and you can't do anything). We could possibly search for some apartment complexes that way.

That was smart, I dont know why I didn't think to rent a car. Hopefully, we have time to check out the apartment scene, because being from New Orleans, a random 8 hour voyage is not as feasible.. it's more economical to pay for a rental and get it all done while in nashville! If we do end up going apartment hunting, I can definitely pay my share of the rental.

Welcome to the thread polodog! Hey, atleast you found the thread, better late than never right? :D

Professional attire == business casual. Collared shirt, tie if you want but not necessary. I got this directly from Pat Sagen.

Professional attire == business casual. Collared shirt, tie if you want but not necessary. I got this directly from Pat Sagen.

durr, then why did they seem to make a distinction on that email?

I dunno. I figured they meant suit as well, but I was told differently.

Easy solution: bring both sets of clothes and ask on Friday. Suits don't take much more packing and space.

Easy solution: bring both sets of clothes and ask on Friday. Suits don't take much more packing and space.

good thing I'm driving to Nashville...I could just throw my entire wardrobe in my car.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I may have to decline my room for Second Look so I can get some work done at night on my thesis =( (I won't be able to work with a roommate). This sucks. Hopefully we'll all be able to hang out during the day :).

Yea I'm not staying in the hotel because I have a puppy who I can't leave alone all weekend! Oh well

Yea I'm not staying in the hotel because I have a puppy who I can't leave alone all weekend! Oh well

Really? I have a cat and I'm leaving him alone for the weekend. Heck, I left him alone during spring break and he was fine too. But I guess cats are a lot more independent than dogs. I guess I'll just stay at the Holiday Inn that I stayed at during the interview...it was alright.

Yeah, the litter box surely was =). But luckily, I had two and they were big (which made the smell worse probably haha).

Is anyone going to Nashville early on Friday and wants to hang out near or on campus before the real activities start???

Yea..they emailed some of us and asked if we wanted to stay there anyway...haha I was like, thanks but no. Yea my dog can stay alone for a really long time during the day but I would feel bad leaving her overnight.

I'll be around on Friday (of course) if anyone wants to hang out!

I should get to Vanderbilt by 1:30 tomorrow if anyone wants to have lunch or anything. If you're interested, just PM me and I'll give you my cell #. I talked to JoVan today and she told me I could just borrow a Vandy ID from another Dukie or something (she'd find them for me) and work on my thesis at the library if I need to, since she doesn't want me to spend extra money on a hotel. She's nice =). So I may still be at the Marriott.

I'm coming after work, probably around 4:15. See you guys there!

I'm getting pretty excited about meeting all of you tomorrow at second look! I'm leaving Memphis around 11-noon so I should be there a little early. PM me if you want to hang out (hopefully I'll get to check sdn before I leave so we can exchange contact info.)...I'm driving in so looking at apartments during the free time we have should be easy.

Just got back home after an AMAZING Second Look. I enjoyed meeting most of you and going through the torture of an exhausting Saturday together hehe. Second Look definitely made me feel a lot better about the new curriculum and Vanderbilt in general (to the point that I don't want to go to my Revisit Weekend next weekend). I'm kind of mad I didn't get the Medical Intensive Care program and had to settle for neonatal but that's ok--the people were cool. And the food was AMAZING at the Frist. Yum. And YAY for so many CA people coming next year!! So, what did you guys think?

Second visit was definitely amazing. I swear, I didn't meet one person that I thought I couldn't be friends with. Unfortunately, I don't think I have any clue whether I met any of you guys except for SuziQ ;)

The Frist was great and, as a Vandy alum, I can tell you that it's pretty standard fare for these kind of things. Case in point, I've had that dessert a few times. It is so good, I can't even describe how much I love it.

All of the current med students seemed fantastic as well. A couple of guys were heavily recruiting at Buffalo Billiards and bought a couple other guys and me drinks. I'm not really sure how I missed The Stage while in undergrad, but that place is the ****. The band was pretty good and played great songs -- hell I even enjoyed the country ones :D

My only gripe is the Marriott. They charged me $16+ per day for parking. What a ripoff! I wonder if Vandy would reimburse me...?

Hope all of you guys had a great time as well!

All of the current med students seemed fantastic as well. A couple of guys were heavily recruiting at Buffalo Billiards and bought a couple other guys and me drinks. I'm not really sure how I missed The Stage while in undergrad, but that place is the ****. The band was pretty good and played great songs -- hell I even enjoyed the country ones :D

My only gripe is the Marriott. They charged me $16+ per day for parking. What a ripoff! I wonder if Vandy would reimburse me...?

did I meet you??? I can't remember!

I didn't pay for parking at the marriott but I let Dr. Sagen know that I needed parking way in advance. I bet theyll cover it (they even covered my gas for the drive from Memphis!)

definitely a fun weekend, ain't nothing like the stage (although I love the saucer, sam's was also fun too!)

i dont know if i met any of you guys...

but sheez, second look was fantastic. im leaning back towards going to vandy bc of the people. i can see myself being happy in nashville for the next 4 years with this sort of community.

i dont know if i met any of you guys...

but sheez, second look was fantastic. im leaning back towards going to vandy bc of the people. i can see myself being happy in nashville for the next 4 years with this sort of community.

You definitely met me. Haha. Guess I forgot to tell you I was an SDN'er. And I agree, the people were soooooo great! Man, what an awesome community to be around and a part of.

Yeah, I rented a car for my first day there and then the Marriott started charging me $16 a day so I returned it a day early! I didn't even know how to maneuver around Nashville roads to need it.

My impression from second-look was that many people are set on Vandy / leaning towards Vandy from their array of choices. Makes it seem like Vandy may have over-accepted this year...

My impression from second-look was that many people are set on Vandy / leaning towards Vandy from their array of choices. Makes it seem like Vandy may have over-accepted this year...

My roommate actually got the same feeling (that a lot of people are choosing vandy), so he asked a Dean what will happen if too many people commit and he said they would put volunteers in a lab next year and pay them a stipend plus all of first year of med school when they start 2008-2009.

Well, that seems like a pretty good deal, but I did my part and withdrew (after WashU revisit). It sounds like you guys had an amazing time; I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you!

Good luck next year!

that's interesting. i was told (by JoVan) that fewer people showed up this year for second-look... i think around 140 compared to about 170 in previous years. this could simply be because of the other competing second looks during this time. in previous years, second look was around mid-march.

hey guys, i just went to pick up my fin aid package from the office. i'm assuming they're mailing everyone's today. and from the looks of it, i think i'll be withdrawing before the end of april or as soon as i hear from my other schools.

hey guys, i just went to pick up my fin aid package from the office. i'm assuming they're mailing everyone's today. and from the looks of it, i think i'll be withdrawing before the end of april or as soon as i hear from my other schools.

Not good??

...imagine the number of full-tuition scholarships they could give out if they didn't do a second look each year...

Really? How many multiples of about $140k do you think second look cost?

Haha, less than or equal to one!! The hotel cost each person $60 a night since they accidentally gave me a receipt.

yea I had soooo much fun at second look! Saturday night at the stage was amazing...i can't wait for august now. It was great to get to meet lots of people, I love everyone in our class! We are going to have a great four years.
Oooh I'm nervous about financial aid...I hope it gets here soon!

yea I had soooo much fun at second look! Saturday night at the stage was amazing...i can't wait for august now. It was great to get to meet lots of people, I love everyone in our class! We are going to have a great four years.
Oooh I'm nervous about financial aid...I hope it gets here soon!

Hopefully Dean Rogers (sp?) quelled your fear about lack of sleep :).

Not good??

it's not *too* bad i guess. so total estimated cost for M1 is 56,090. i was expecting some institutional loans, but didn't get any. the bulk of my loans would be unsubsidized stafford. i'm just waiting to compare to my other schools...

it's not *too* bad i guess. so total estimated cost for M1 is 56,090. i was expecting some institutional loans, but didn't get any. the bulk of my loans would be unsubsidized stafford. i'm just waiting to compare to my other schools...

Is it ALL loans? Vandy did not give any institutional grants???? Isn't there base like 23k?

I don't think unsubsidized stafford is the school's fault because it is based on federal requirements, although I'm not sure how prevalent institutional loans are in general. I'd want grants :).

Is it ALL loans? Vandy did not give any institutional grants???? Isn't there base like 23k?

I don't think unsubsidized stafford is the school's fault because it is based on federal requirements, although I'm not sure how prevalent institutional loans are in general. I'd want grants :).

yah yah, i got some need-based grants. copying from my letter now, here's the break down:
~10k need-based grant
~46k loans (32k unsubsidized [6.8%], 5.5k GradPLUS [8.5%], 8.5 fed sub [6.8%])

so i'd be in for about 190k after 4 years assuming 56k/yr (which is not really the case). this is plus my ~20k of undergrad loans :D but, this is kind of misleading... they included a 10-yr "repayment" plan for me as well that includes both my undergrad loans and the newly estimated loans for year 1:
after 10 yrs (i.e. 2011-2021), i will have to pay back, including interest, 102K :eek: ... this is just for 1 yr of med school and my undergrad loans. total amount borrowed would be around 62k, while interest would be ~40k. okay, i don't feel like doing more math now :sleep:

here are the estimated costs for 2007/08:
M1 56090
M2 55670
M3 60770
M4 56670

so are the GradPLUS loans subsidized or not?

Hey all
I'm currently shopping for laptops for next year, and wonder if any of you knew if Vandy had any requirements/suggestions for computers. This is probably more towards the current students, but maybe one of y'all have had the same question.

Bah, financial aid was definitely not kind to me... :(

Bah, financial aid was definitely not kind to me... :(

Kind of scary, although I thought Farikanok's package wasn't THAT bad considering they also expect family to contribute even if that may not be the case (and I guess I'm comparing the package to Duke's terrible financial aid for undergrad since I have yet to receive any financial aid for med school). My parents JUST filed the FAFSA so I won't find out for a while...pretty bad since I need to decide which school to go to before May 15!!! Whose package was better? Emory's or Vanderbilt's?

i guess i was comparing to vandy's undergrad fin aid package, they're VERY generous. i.e. i had need-based vandy grants covering 3/4 of total cost of undergrad each year. total cost now is ~45k for undergrad.

Kind of scary, although I thought Farikanok's package wasn't THAT bad considering they also expect family to contribute even if that may not be the case (and I guess I'm comparing the package to Duke's terrible financial aid for undergrad since I have yet to receive any financial aid for med school). My parents JUST filed the FAFSA so I won't find out for a while...pretty bad since I need to decide which school to go to before May 15!!! Whose package was better? Emory's or Vanderbilt's?

so your parents fill out the FAFSA for you? or did they just file their taxes?

Just how bad was it?

Also, did you receive it by mail or did you pick it up in person?
Got it by mail, all loans :(

Emory's was better since they gave me a $5000 scholarship, but they also cost more, so Vandy is still slightly cheaper I think. Memphis is looking better and better...

Got it by mail, all loans :(

Emory's was better since they gave me a $5000 scholarship, but they also cost more, so Vandy is still slightly cheaper I think. Memphis is looking better and better...

yeah... so when is memphis supposed to send out their fin aid packages? i know it'll all be loans, but i just want to know finalized total costs, etc...

so your parents fill out the FAFSA for you? or did they just file their taxes?

They did both...I'm about 2500 miles away from home so I did not have the tax return to fill out the FAFSA, so they did it. Was I supposed to anyway? I usually do it during spring break when I'm back home but this year, they ran late on the tax returns.

Yeah, now I'm getting scared about finaid packages too. I might as well start preparing myself for getting no help from all my schools since they all suck with financial aid apparently :(. I heard from someone at Second Look that Vandy is the most "generous" out of my choices too. Boooo.

They did both...I'm about 2500 miles away from home so I did not have the tax return to fill out the FAFSA, so they did it. Was I supposed to anyway? I usually do it during spring break when I'm back home but this year, they ran late on the tax returns.

Yeah, now I'm getting scared about finaid packages too. I might as well start preparing myself for getting no help from all my schools since they all suck with financial aid apparently :(. I heard from someone at Second Look that Vandy is the most "generous" out of my choices too. Boooo.
I think they're only generous to some -- a girl from my class got a full ride, and I'm sure there are a bunch of others. If you look at the debt distribution, 25% graduated with no debt! A bunch of the others look like they got screwed...

I have no clue about Memphis, but they need to hurry up and get their act together. We basically have less than three weeks to decide.