Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my titers after calling Student Health about the cost. The woman there was very rude IMO, and she told me that I would have to pay. I went ahead and got my blood drawn (results back in 3 days). I was then filling out the MAG/MOO stuff and noticed that it said they would be covered by the student health fee. WTF? My IM doc said it would probably be on the order of a couple hundred bucks! I turned it in to insurance anyway, but I highly doubt they'll pick up the tab. Very irritated :mad:

Wow!! Does that mean I should wait until orientation???

Members don't see this ad.

I got my titers after calling Student Health about the cost. The woman there was very rude IMO, and she told me that I would have to pay. I went ahead and got my blood drawn (results back in 3 days). I was then filling out the MAG/MOO stuff and noticed that it said they would be covered by the student health fee. WTF? My IM doc said it would probably be on the order of a couple hundred bucks! I turned it in to insurance anyway, but I highly doubt they'll pick up the tab. Very irritated :mad:

poor communication on the Student Health front...

As a former Vandy student, I'll just let you know ahead of time that student health sucks. I've heard some very odd stories about wrong diagnoses, and apparently, if you're a girl, you will be pregnancy tested no matter what.

Members don't see this ad :)
poor communication on the Student Health front...

Hm...wasn't your post longer before or maybe I'm going crazy hehe. I think I might wait until orientation then for titers, but who knows. That sucks that student health sucks...Duke's was alright, though I think all student health centers have some degree of suckiness. I know my friend at Yale was misdiagnosed plenty of times and doctors were rude.

As a former Vandy student, I'll just let you know ahead of time that student health sucks. I've heard some very odd stories about wrong diagnoses, and apparently, if you're a girl, you will be pregnancy tested no matter what.

yeah, that's because they want to make sure that any meds/etc. they give you won't be interferring w/potential pregnancies.

Hey guys, I tried activating my VUNet ID again today, and it worked! I can access all of the services like People Finder, AAI, and email. I also tested out email by sending myself a message and received it. I had no other mail though. For some reason the VUMC Outlook email isn't working, just regular campus webmail. I was under the impression that we used the medical center mail, but maybe not? Anyway, try it out!

http://its.vanderbilt.edu/support/start.php

Just click "Authorize your VUNet ID". Webmail is on the main Vandy page.

:D

No outlook email?!?!?! All webmail links on the admissions website lead to that page though!! Fish sticks!

No outlook email?!?!?! All webmail links on the admissions website lead to that page though!! Fish sticks!
It may not have been enabled yet or something.

It may not have been enabled yet or something.

Yeah I hope so because in the Paddle the webpage they direct you to is the outlook email page. I think it's the same website as in the booklet they sent us when we were accepted.

EDIT: It seems that everything that is associated with VMS or VUMC is still not working, as I cannot log into the VMS student portal either. I'm sure everything will be up before school starts like the admissions office people told me (we will get access during orientation).

Hey guys, I tried activating my VUNet ID again today, and it worked! I can access all of the services like People Finder, AAI, and email. I also tested out email by sending myself a message and received it. I had no other mail though. For some reason the VUMC Outlook email isn't working, just regular campus webmail. I was under the impression that we used the medical center mail, but maybe not? Anyway, try it out!

http://its.vanderbilt.edu/support/start.php

Just click "Authorize your VUNet ID". Webmail is on the main Vandy page.

:D

Thanks for checking this for us! I am so glad I can access some stuff now!

I move to Nashville in 17 days...

I have to buy a bed...any suggestions for reasonably priced, yet comfortable beds (I'm going to buy one in Nashville when I move there)? I'm not too particular as long as its a place to sleep...

I move to Nashville in 17 days...

I have to buy a bed...any suggestions for reasonably priced, yet comfortable beds (I'm going to buy one in Nashville when I move there)? I'm not too particular as long as its a place to sleep...

Was wondering the same thing. I was looking online and beds are expensive! :( There's an outlet furniture mart in Hickory, NC that sells cheap furniture. I visited on my way from Durham to Nashville and the stuff is pretty good quality and cheaper than retail (big-name brands are there since they build a lot of their furniture in that area). Only problem is it's ~400 miles from Vandy. How about places to find cheap washers and dryers??

I'm supposed to move in on the 25th but I may push it to the 27th for my trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about places to find cheap washers and dryers??

another great question...my apt has hookups but doesn't come with the W/D. a place to get a used W/D set would be amazing!

Hey guys, there is a Sears outlet on Thompson Lane. They have washers and dryers there, and they're pretty good price wise. You could also look on craigslist or possibly facebook marketplace. Just be sure you know what kind of dryer connection you need -- gas or electric. You may also have to change out the 220v plug if your apartment's socket doesn't match.

As far as mattresses go, they also have those at the Sears, but not that great of a selection IMO. I got mine at Macy's for about $750 -- a little pricey, but I'm going to be spending (hopefully) a good amount of time on it. You can look at some mattress warehouses around Nashville (yellow pages?), or there are some other furniture outlets that will have them. Nashville Furniture Outlet, also on Thompson, had some, though I didn't get a great look at the selection.

By the way, I was able to login to the VMS portal today. Not too much there, but it did ask me to confirm some of my info when I did. I just left it for the time being.

Hey guys, there is a Sears outlet on Thompson Lane. They have washers and dryers there, and they're pretty good price wise. You could also look on craigslist or possibly facebook marketplace. Just be sure you know what kind of dryer connection you need -- gas or electric. You may also have to change out the 220v plug if your apartment's socket doesn't match.

As far as mattresses go, they also have those at the Sears, but not that great of a selection IMO. I got mine at Macy's for about $750 -- a little pricey, but I'm going to be spending (hopefully) a good amount of time on it. You can look at some mattress warehouses around Nashville (yellow pages?), or there are some other furniture outlets that will have them. Nashville Furniture Outlet, also on Thompson, had some, though I didn't get a great look at the selection.

By the way, I was able to login to the VMS portal today. Not too much there, but it did ask me to confirm some of my info when I did. I just left it for the time being.

Thanks for the info! Was the bed a queen, full, etc.? Just wondering what to expect in Nashville if I want a full-sized bed. Problem with Craigslist is that I don't have a truck so transporting the appliances will be a problem, especially in my Corolla :laugh:.

Hm, my VMS portal still doesn't work. I hope they didn't forget about me :confused:.

Thanks for the info! Was the bed a queen, full, etc.? Just wondering what to expect in Nashville if I want a full-sized bed. Problem with Craigslist is that I don't have a truck so transporting the appliances will be a problem, especially in my Corolla :laugh:.

Hm, my VMS portal still doesn't work. I hope they didn't forget about me :confused:.
Queen. It's a fairly nice pillowtop though; a regular mattress could be considerably less. As far as transportation goes, you could ask if the seller could do it. Many people around here have light to heavy trucks.

Queen. It's a fairly nice pillowtop though; a regular mattress could be considerably less. As far as transportation goes, you could ask if the seller could do it. Many people around here have light to heavy trucks.

$750 is actually a really good price for a pillowtop Queen bed. Maybe I'll look into Macy's.

$750 is actually a really good price for a pillowtop Queen bed. Maybe I'll look into Macy's.
Well, it was on the low side of the prices there, and I also did the 15% off deal with a new Macy's account. The actual retail price was $799 I believe (plus 9.25% sales tax). If you don't have a Macy's account, you could do the same thing though. Bed frame wasn't included either, but I picked a cheap one up at Haverty's for $40.

Man, I went to get my titers today and they wanted to charge like $200-300 for the three!! Too much money, so I'm going to do them during orientation. Hopefully they'll be free there.

Haha, I got the typical response by the doctor when I told them they were for medical school: "Get out while you can!!" Fun stuff.

Hi Guys,

Congrats on coming to Vandy! I'm a second year here, so I can help out if you have questions.

Also, don't stress about meeting your classmates, making friends or class. You'll be fine- and get ready to enjoy the first part of the year, it's a lot of fun.

R_C_

To anyone from Nashville/goes to Vandy:

What are the best Chinese and Mexican restaurants near campus?

It's a bit Americanized, but I love P.F. Changs. It's right down West End. Other than that, I've found most of the takeout places to be pretty similar -- there are several around campus. For Mexican, you've got Las Palmas (real Mexican) just off West End, Fiesta Azteca on Ellington, and La Paz (more American) in Green Hills. I'm not sure if SATCO counts as Mexican, as I've never been there, but it's on 21st. Qdoba is TexMex, and it's on the corner of 21st Ave. S and West End. Those are all I can think of at the moment, but you can get on citysearch and find anything in the area.

Oh come on now....Las Palmas is pretty Americanized as far as mexican goes...for the real deal I'd try El Palenque by Green Hills Mall or La Hacienda Taqueria off Nolensville Road! Great places with great prices. If you're up for trendy mexican food, hit up Rose Pepper Cantina in East Nashville

Really? I guess it just seemed a far cry from something like La Paz e.g., actual Mexican(-American) servers. Anyway, yeah Nolensville Rd should have plenty of Mexican restaurants... They might as well call it Little Mexico City.

Baja Burrito mmmmmmmmmmmm...verrrry good but kind of far. I had it when I was moving some stuff to Nashville. Got good reviews!

Gordon Gee is now gone....

good or bad or no impact for us?

Gordon Gee is now gone....

good or bad or no impact for us?

Oh wow...why is he leaving?! He seemed so happy during Second Look. I'm not familiar with his dealings at Vanderbilt so I don't know if it's a good or bad thing. When the Duke prez left, she gave the Board a whole year to find a new president. He's leaving in less than a month so I wonder if they'll be too rushed to find a really good person.

Oh wow...why is he leaving?! He seemed so happy during Second Look. I'm not familiar with his dealings at Vanderbilt so I don't know if it's a good or bad thing. When the Duke prez left, she gave the Board a whole year to find a new president. He's leaving in less than a month so I wonder if they'll be too rushed to find a really good person.

he's going back to Ohio State (and to think he was raving about how Vandy was the perfect size and environment for higher learning)

he's going back to Ohio State (and to think he was raving about how Vandy was the perfect size and environment for higher learning)

No kidding. I'm sure it was motivated by money since unfortunately, that's what the world runs on.

This kinda depends on your Chinese/Mexican food background (which mostly depends on where you're coming from in the US/world). I wouldn't recommend any non-chain places close to campus; in Nashville often beans, cheese, tortillas and ground beef in various configurations passes for "Mexican." That's what you'll find at places like Las Palmas and La Hacienda.

Places like PFChang's, Baja Fresh and Qdoba are good at what they do. If you're looking for something safe and fast, they fit the bill. Also, there's a (I think local) small chain called Calypso Cafe that has pretty healthy, really good Caribbean-inspired food on the cheap. Lots of folks in the second year class are big fans of that one, especially the ones from Nashville originally.

No kidding. I'm sure it was motivated by money since unfortunately, that's what the world runs on.

I think he might be taking a pay cut (1.2 mil down to 775k)...

I read that he said that he didn't feel right working for a private school, when 80% of Americans goto public universities. Seems altruistic enough, but rather hypocritical in light of the way he talked to us about how Vanderbilt was the perfect university (unless he wants to make OSU like Vandy...good luck:rolleyes:)

Did you get your college assignment? I'm in Baston College...don't really know what it means, but I'm excited!!!

Did you get your college assignment? I'm in Baston College...don't really know what it means, but I'm excited!!!
Not really sure what that is? I haven't received anything (1 hr away).

College? Huuuuuh?????? I bet it's when they split the class up into groups with their own personal advisors or something. And during anatomy and small groups, each partner in the group is from a different college to facilitate communication with the whole class. At least that's how it worked at UCI and Harvard to name a few that I remember now.

EDIT: Just checked the year's schedule and the colleges are indeed advisory colleges. You meet up occasionally.

Anyone receive college assignments today? I'm still waiting for my mail, but was curious how many advisory groups they have. That would be funny if the SDN crowd was all put into the same one.

Got my letter today. I'm in Batson College too! I like the School of Medicine window sticky thing they give us for our cars!

Yay! So exciting!
I think there are four of them...

Nothing yet :( but i'll be checking my mail today...

Nothing yet :( but i'll be checking my mail today...

Seems like they're sent out according to your college. Mine was postmarked July 11 and it reached CA yesterday, so I'm pretty sure Batson was the first batch. You'll probably be in another college. Shucks...I wanted everyone on SDN to be in the same college :(. Hehe.

I'm also in Batson. My letter didn't come till yesterday (the 17th)

Finally got my college assignment today (dated 7/12 -- wtf, USPS?). I'm in Chapman College, and my letter says we're the best, so there ;)

Finally got my college assignment today (dated 7/12 -- wtf, USPS?). I'm in Chapman College, and my letter says we're the best, so there ;)

HAH! We'll just see about that! I hope they do inter-college challenges so we can show everyone else that we are, actually, the best! (Disclaimer: I suck at life though so anything related to sports challenges I will probably bring the downfall of our team hehe.)

HAH! We'll just see about that! I hope they do inter-college challenges so we can show everyone else that we are, actually, the best! (Disclaimer: I suck at life though so anything related to sports challenges I will probably bring the downfall of our team hehe.)

You and me both. Maybe we should go out of our way NOT to challenge anyone to anything that requires the use of some sort of physical prowess. How about an old-fashioned staring contest?

You and me both. Maybe we should go out of our way NOT to challenge anyone to anything that requires the use of some sort of physical prowess. How about an old-fashioned staring contest?

Hehe...I'd probably lose in that too. I tend to laugh after a few seconds. Maybe we shouldn't tell them our weaknesses. Whoops.

Hehe...I'd probably lose in that too. I tend to laugh after a few seconds. Maybe we shouldn't tell them our weaknesses. Whoops.
<Darth> I have you now! </Darth>

:laugh:

Incidentally, I just signed my master promissory note...

I'm in Chapman too! We're the (self-proclaimed) best! :p:hardy:

So... anybody waiting in line for Harry Potter tonight?