Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree; it looks like a packed, but fun weekend!

And as a Vandy undergrad, I was especially amused by Dr. Sagen's hope that I've "already made flight reservations."

Members don't see this ad.

I was quite excited to get the agenda!! But, I hope I don't fall out by the end of it, it looks like a LOT of stuff.. but the more the better!!

Since there are no late late evening activities, how about we all head out for a night on the town saturday to explore Nashville....? :hardy: ..lol, just kiddinggg (or not)

Does anyone know if the attire for friday evening is maybe casual??? It seems like it would be because it is in a stadium according to the agenda.. what do yall think?

hmmm

I was kind of hoping there would be a portion where we are taken on a tour of like apts/condos in nashville as living options, but i guess u cant ask for too much :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree; it looks like a packed, but fun weekend!

And as a Vandy undergrad, I was especially amused by Dr. Sagen's hope that I've "already made flight reservations."

hahaha same here.

I was quite excited to get the agenda!! But, I hope I don't fall out by the end of it, it looks like a LOT of stuff.. but the more the better!!

Since there are no late late evening activities, how about we all head out for a night on the town saturday to explore Nashville....? :hardy: ..lol, just kiddinggg (or not)

Does anyone know if the attire for friday evening is maybe casual??? It seems like it would be because it is in a stadium according to the agenda.. what do yall think?

hmmm
I say we hit up Flying Saucer, but that's just me. :D

Umm I will DEFINITELTY be out at night...I can show y'all around Nashville! Flying Saucer works, Demonbreun is fun too, or the Stage is always an experience for people from out of town...

I would probably wear like business casual on Friday night...I dunno though. Get excited!

hmmm

I got it too...looks like it'll be packed with fun activities! The only thing I was sad about was that they only budgeted around 50 min for the curriculum discussion. I had hoped they'd allow more time :(.

For those who are in the Vandy area and are interested in getting a sneak peak of the new curriculum: the administration has placed posters detailing the new first-year curriculum in the North lobby of Light Hall. It's an hour-by-hour, day-by-day schedule, so it might be worth a few minutes of your time to stop by and take a look.

Any idea when we should be receiving financial aid information?

Umm I will DEFINITELTY be out at night...I can show y'all around Nashville! Flying Saucer works, Demonbreun is fun too, or the Stage is always an experience for people from out of town...

I would probably wear like business casual on Friday night...I dunno though. Get excited!

Haha, man it's nice to see the potential Vandy students are into having a good time. Haha. SuziQ, Im going to take you up on that offer. As a matter of fact, I'll announce at the end of the evening that I am looking for SuziQ from SDN..HAHA, just jokinggg.

Zekelion, regarding that new curriculum, well would anyone who is in the area mind taking a glimpse of it and coming back here to let us know a brief idea of what class times are and what the new curriculum involved. I could wait til second look, but im VERYYY curious and anxious about it :D
Im SO excited about 2nd look!!!

So right about now, im 89.9% sure Im going to Vandy. Im prettyyy sure.

Peace! and GSE (Get so excited)
:cool:

For those who are in the Vandy area and are interested in getting a sneak peak of the new curriculum: the administration has placed posters detailing the new first-year curriculum in the North lobby of Light Hall. It's an hour-by-hour, day-by-day schedule, so it might be worth a few minutes of your time to stop by and take a look.

Echoing what CheerBear said, could someone PLEASE report back on here (**cough cough Dr. Durden/SuziQ cough cough**) what the posters say? :) I'm curious as well.

Hey guys, I'm down for some evening exploration as well.

It looks like we have "down time" on Saturday afternoon, so maybe we can turn that into a housing crawl somehow (right after the "housing panel"). Perhaps we can hijack the campus tour?

I'm so excited to meet everyone!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I have two huge papers due the Friday I fly out for Second Look, I would DEFINITELY be up for exploring some Nashville night life to celeb- uh, educate myself about the area.

I'm definitely excited for second look and seeing all this student entertainment. Vandy kids seem really creative so I bet it'll be good.

See you all soon!

okay guys, so i just did something that looked really sketchy... i'm hoping no one saw me... but, the point is, i went to see the new curriculum posters. there were about 5-6 posters with the details of every week of the first year. so... here it comes... i take out my camera and take pics of the first 24 weeks :smuggrin: :laugh: don't make fun of me too much :p

anyway, if you want the pics, PM me your email address and i will send them out late tonight when i get home.

okay guys, so i just did something that looked really sketchy... i'm hoping no one saw me... but, the point is, i went to see the new curriculum posters. there were about 5-6 posters with the details of every week of the first year. so... here it comes... i take out my camera and take pics of the first 24 weeks :smuggrin: :laugh: don't make fun of me too much :p

anyway, if you want the pics, PM me your email address and i will send them out late tonight when i get home.

You are MY HERO.

I don't even know what to say. You are FREAKING AWESOME. Im getting mental images now and i cant help but laugh to myself..hehe. Thanks so much for your willingness to look sketchy to help out ur fellow potential future classmates. Im speechless. If this is the awesomeness that is potential Vandy students, then thats just pretty darn AWESOME. Thanks again! PM on the way! :D

I don't even know what to say. You are FREAKING AWESOME. Im getting mental images now and i cant help but laugh to myself..hehe. Thanks so much for your willingness to look sketchy to help out ur fellow potential future classmates. Im speechless. If this is the awesomeness that is potential Vandy students, then thats just pretty darn AWESOME. Thanks again! PM on the way! :D

Seriously. A-W-E-S-O-M-E-!

Great job on reconaissance, farikanok! I can't make fun of you; I would have done the same thing.

:laugh: HAHAHAHA... that's the most hilarious/awesome thing I've seen all day. Nice work! :thumbup:

Hahah yay!! So exciting...I'm glad there are going to be other Vandy med students who like to have fun too...I was worried. I am 100% sure I'll be at VUSM in the fall.
Seriously, find me at second look, I'm definitely going to go out...should be fun!!!

Haha, man it's nice to see the potential Vandy students are into having a good time. Haha. SuziQ, Im going to take you up on that offer. As a matter of fact, I'll announce at the end of the evening that I am looking for SuziQ from SDN..HAHA, just jokinggg.

Zekelion, regarding that new curriculum, well would anyone who is in the area mind taking a glimpse of it and coming back here to let us know a brief idea of what class times are and what the new curriculum involved. I could wait til second look, but im VERYYY curious and anxious about it :D
Im SO excited about 2nd look!!!

So right about now, im 89.9% sure Im going to Vandy. Im prettyyy sure.

Peace! and GSE (Get so excited)
:cool:

Oooh sorry I didn't think of that..I was gonna go take the signs, hahaha, just kidding. I need to go over there and look at them...excited!!!!

okay, so i just sent out the emails (10 of them :eek:) i'm sure there was an easier way to send them out, but...

let me know if you can't open any of the files. hope you like the pix :D

okay, so i just sent out the emails (10 of them :eek:) i'm sure there was an easier way to send them out, but...

let me know if you can't open any of the files. hope you like the pix :D

Thanks so much for the emails!! I looked at the curriculum and I don't quite understand it yet hehe. It looks very jumbled, but that may be a good thing since a "boring routine" won't start to develop. I can see they have been trying to integrate subjects together and I hope it works out. The hours in the schedule don't seem TOO bad either, although it probably doesn't include elective time. Definitely also seems that small group is more emphasized until anatomy, when lab takes over everything. I hope some of the clinical stuff is in the hospitals and clinics and not in a lecture room. The exams every 2 weeks kind of stinks too (reminds me of the Duke curriculum), but that's OK I guess.

I went over to the med school today and was going to write down the schedule so I could type it out and put it online for y'all..unfortunately, to my surprise, it's like an entire room!! It literally details every single day of our first year (fall and spring) hour by hour.. It really looks great though!! A couple of days a week we're only in class from 8-12. It looks really interesting too..much more integrated and much more patient- based. Anatomy doesn't start until later in the semester, so that should make it easier to adjust. Plus, like said above, the first two weeks are like intro to doctor stuff, not science classes. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it and I'll try to answer!

PS-
Go join the facebook group "Vanderbilt University School of Medicine c/o 2011"- even if you're not sure you're coming to Vandy..you can leave it later if you decide on somewhere else. That way it'll be easier to recognize faces at Second Look! There are already 17 people in the group, yay!

Wow, I'm a lot more excited now after looking at the curriculum stuff. I think it's just all starting to seem real. I'm especially excited about the free afternoons, less so about the 8am class (not that I expected anything different)

I can't wait to start!

Wow, I'm a lot more excited now after looking at the curriculum stuff. I think it's just all starting to seem real. I'm especially excited about the free afternoons, less so about the 8am class (not that I expected anything different)

I can't wait to start!

I felt the same way after looking at it. Like before med school was always this part of my life that was to occur in the future. Now, the future is like in a few months. Im excited but actually quite terrified... but i suppose that's a natural feeling. :luck:

Second page? For shame! I'm curious what the first two weeks are going to be like. Party it up before the hurt starts? ;)

So, did everyone receive their health questionnaire and immunization records request today? They included a self-addressed, stamped envelope to return it. Nice touch. Definitely not too common.

I didn't receive anything =(. My mail goes to my parent's house in CA though so that may be why.

Wit is being shown in the first two weeks. If anyone has seen it, you'll know it's so sad :(. Showing the movie definitely is a good way to start a future physician's schooling though...which means this rocks. Actually, the entire schedule seems to rock.

Hey Bretticus, have you decided to go to Vandy or are you still choosing between Emory & Vandy?? Come to Vandy! We need more engineers in the class so we can dominate it!!! Haha

So, did everyone receive their health questionnaire and immunization records request today? They included a self-addressed, stamped envelope to return it. Nice touch. Definitely not too common.

i didnt get anything yesterday? maybe ill get something today.

Second page? For shame! I'm curious what the first two weeks are going to be like. Party it up before the hurt starts? ;)

Haha, good suggestion :thumbup:
I couldn't agree more. I think we should all also have celebrations after each test, but that's just me... just to keep us sane :)

On another note, does anyone know if at second look, they'll show us like apparel stores or anything, id really like some vandy med gear.... or, im sure those of you who currently attend vandy could show those of us interested??...

Passing the time in lab...What part of the country are you guys from and/or what schools do you guys go to???

Hm...guess I should answer my own question :):

Northern suburb of Los Angeles
Duke

Passing the time at work....

I'm from Florida (big surprise) and I go to Tulane.

I'm from New Orleans
I currently attend LSU (Louisiana State University)

:)

Oooh, cool coincidence.

We should make sure we meet over second look!

That is cool! Yay New Orleans.. haha. So are you definitely going to Vandy or still deciding?

That is cool! Yay New Orleans.. haha. So are you definitely going to Vandy or still deciding?

It's about 85%. I'm sitting on a couple of waitlists but I'm planning on Vandy for now!

Northridge perhaps? Not that there's just a few suburbs of LA, but I have a friend from there. And another from Hancock Park (but that's the real LA).

Close to Northridge, but a little more north. Are you from LA or Cali??

I didn't receive anything =(. My mail goes to my parent's house in CA though so that may be why.

Wit is being shown in the first two weeks. If anyone has seen it, you'll know it's so sad :(. Showing the movie definitely is a good way to start a future physician's schooling though...which means this rocks. Actually, the entire schedule seems to rock.

Hey Bretticus, have you decided to go to Vandy or are you still choosing between Emory & Vandy?? Come to Vandy! We need more engineers in the class so we can dominate it!!! Haha
Haha, I'm still choosing. Vandy is looking pretty good though, because it has a cheaper sticker price, and I won't need a new car. Unless Emory gives me some nice finaid, I don't expect to be going there. So I'd say 85% Vandy right now. I'm actually looking at condos today in Nashville, so that's where I'm expecting to be.

I'm from middle Tennessee, graduated from Vandy ugrad last May.

I will DEFINITELY need to party after exams...so count me in for that!

I'm from Kentucky and I'm a Vandy undergrad.

No no. I just have several friends from LA and the LA suburbs.

I think San Diego is where it's at anyway. ;)

Yeah, San Diego rocks...my family always goes there over Christmas break to watch the New Years Eve fireworks along the beach. Hm, come to think of it, we always go there (La Jolla mostly) in the summer to hang around the cliffs and beaches too. Too bad I accidentally submitted UCSD's secondary late :(.

My definition of partying after exams is sleeping, so I probably won't be joining the off-campus festivities =). But anyone is welcome to my apartment to play some Wii games once I wake up!

Haha, I'm still choosing. Vandy is looking pretty good though, because it has a cheaper sticker price, and I won't need a new car.

You don't need a car in Nashville? I was going to bring my car but if we don't need one, then there's no point in keeping it. I thought Nashville's public transportation system is supposed to be bad...

I would say it is a good idea to have a car in Nashville..you can probably get around campus without one but what about running errands, etc? There isn't a good grocery store within walking distance of campus. The public transportation system consists of just buses, and I have never ridden them in the 4 years I've lived here...too much of a hassle. I have had a car since freshman year and it's been really helpful to me.

Yeah, San Diego rocks...my family always goes there over Christmas break to watch the New Years Eve fireworks along the beach. Hm, come to think of it, we always go there (La Jolla mostly) in the summer to hang around the cliffs and beaches too. Too bad I accidentally submitted UCSD's secondary late :(.

My definition of partying after exams is sleeping, so I probably won't be joining the off-campus festivities =). But anyone is welcome to my apartment to play some Wii games once I wake up!

You don't need a car in Nashville? I was going to bring my car but if we don't need one, then there's no point in keeping it. I thought Nashville's public transportation system is supposed to be bad...
Oh, you definitely need a car. I have a car, it's just not something I'd want to chance driving around Atlanta, especially since it's four hours away from home. Nashville, however, is much less of a big deal. I know the area well, and I'm reasonably sure that my junker will be ok. And if it's not, I know I have family to rely on only an hour away.

I suppose I'll get a new car eventually anyway, but there's still a difference. I want to drive this thing until it dies if it's at all possible. Now, if Emory gave me enough to cover what it might cost, then I'd have to think hard about it.

Anyone else stuck in on a Saturday night with tons of papers and homework?

Bleh.

Guess I better get used to it...

Hello everyone

Guess what this week is?? :)
Well on another note, Im going to try and find a place to live for the school year during second look... some way some how. I ended my denial that I was still actually considering Duke...im leaning way more towards Vandy at this point.
So, I figure its good to do it now especially cus Nashville has so many professional schools, etc so i bet the housing market is stiff.. correct me if im wrong....

On that note, would someone PLEASE mind listing or PM'ing me with a list of places they would recommend that are CLOSE to vandy (walking or biking distance) and that are safe to live and quiet. Are there any new complexes that have gone up in nashville close to vandy?? On an earlier note in this thread, someone mentioned Hillsboro Village, but didn't mention specific places.
I really like condos or really anywhere spacious.. It would be greatly appreciated, because right now im pretty much lost in that arena and getting kind of stressed about it.....
If I have to hail a cab to look at the places, then thats what ill do... haha :oops: