UTHSCSA (San Antonio) vs. PLFSOM (El Paso)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school?

• UTHSCSA (San Antonio)

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • PLFOM (El Paso)

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

redstapler22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be posting another one of these but I would appreciate any advice people have to share. I’ve been accepted to PLFSOM (El Paso) and UTHSCSA (San Antonio) and I’m having a tough time deciding between the two.

UTHSCSA

Pros:

-San Antonio is a larger city with more things going on. Also more centrally located

- Strong research opportunities

-Near hometown (Austin area), so closer to family and friends

-More non-traditional students (like myself)

-Wider diversity in terms of education background

-More established

Cons:

- Larger class, chance to get lost in the crowd

-Older facilities

El Paso

Pros:
-More things to do outdoors

-Innovative curriculum, professors truly devoted to students’ success. Pass/fail

-Newer facilities

-Smaller class size

Cons:

-El Paso is isolated from other major TX cities

-Less things to do in the city

-Not as well established

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't interview at UTHSCSA but I can point out a few more great things about PLFSOM:
  • Their average Step 1 scores are outstanding (mid 230s is what I heard), probably due to their excellent preclinical curriculum.
  • You would be assisted in learning/improving your medical Spanish. Sure you *can* do that at many schools, but with all of the other time pressures it might help to have dedicated time to learn/improve these skills, and they will be useful in almost any part of the US afterwards.
  • The number of researchers at PLFSOM may be a little more limited than in other places, but the ones I spoke to were very approachable and eager to get students involved in their projects. Combine that with the school's expectation that you will complete a project and you should have zero difficulty in getting some interesting research done before residency application time.
  • Low cost of living, even for Texas standards.

Sorry to be posting another one of these but I would appreciate any advice people have to share. I’ve been accepted to PLFSOM (El Paso) and UTHSCSA (San Antonio) and I’m having a tough time deciding between the two.

UTHSCSA

Cons:

- Larger class, chance to get lost in the crowd

-Older facilities

Don't know much about El Paso, but I'll address these. The class is large, but there is plenty of opportunity for one-on-one with faculty if you think you need it.

The hospital is not even 2 years old, the VA and the old hospital still are in use but the new hospital is where the vast majority of your rotations will be held. Also they just finished building a brand new building for the school. It houses a cafe/restaurant, bookstore, classrooms, PBL rooms, study rooms, computers etc. (see the website: here) The website I just linked is out of date; everything is built now and it will be used for the incoming class.

Make your choice as you see fit with what's best for you! I just wanted to update you on those two points. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both and had to decide between the two. It would help to know what you want to do as a physician though.

El Paso (Great Rural/Primary care setting)
-Great experience dealing with rare diseases and primary care without having to dedicate your career(residency selection) to it.
-Spanish experience
-Great facilities and students seemed happy
-The best, by far the best, explanation on how they would systematically teach the curriculum and start you as a student on the way of being a competent physician.
-Might not have the opportunity to do clerkships in sub-specialties if only a couple exist in the city.

San Antonio (Great urban/specialty opportunities)
-Huge hospital associated with VA, BAMC, General etc great exposure to whatever interests you.
-Large class but it matches with the schools setting. Still plenty of opportunities to do research there or at BAMC. (The largest hospital and research institute in DoD)
-Pretty similar curriculum to PLSOM but they didn't explain it nearly as well. I did recognize similar parts though.

Bottom line up front: I think either one would be a great school to attend. I eventually selected UTHSCSA as my #1 rank out of all the Texas schools, but it was due more to its proximity to BAMC than anything else.

Best of luck deciding!

UTHSCSA had a poor match rate this year, according to some people on the school-specific thread.

Thanks for the advice/clarifications everyone! Appreciate the help. I have a lot to think about.

Hi everyone,

What do people think about pass/fail at El Paso vs. letter grades at San Antonio?