2020-2021 Texas Tech, El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How late is late? The last interview invitations I have seen were in mid- December but I wouldn’t be surprised if they had some more interviews In January
I submitted my secondary at the end of October and my application was marked complete by the middle of November. I received an interview with a similar secondary timeline at another institution, so really my question is if this is something in the realm of possibility for Texas Tech, El Paso.

Members don't see this ad.

This is very much a reach, but I applied very late in the cycle and was wondering if interviews are still being extended?
I also applied late in the cycle (secondary sent in mid-October) and received an interview invitation today. The available dates were in mid- and late-January.

Reactions: 2 users
I received an interview invite (complete mid july) but will decline. Hope it goes out to one of y’all! Best of luck everyone - when I last interviewed at Foster 2 cycles ago I was really impressed by their curriculum and faculty.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied late in the cycle (secondary sent in mid-October) and received an interview invitation today. The available dates were in mid- and late-January.
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Hi! I got a last minute interview at Tech Lubbock and I'm having quite a difficult time figuring out where to rank the school in relation to here. My interests really vacillate between infectious diseases, global health, border health, rural health and family medicine. Foster looks like a unique, really cool place because of border health and being on the border. But I know that Tech Lubbock has that too. I feel that I'm much more politically aligned with El Paso, but I'm also aware that Lubbock is much better established and considered a better school. I wondered if anyone could speak a bit towards what decisions you all are making and what made you pick Foster over other schools, I would really appreciate it! Thanks for everything!

Reactions: 1 user
II just now! Complete August. LM 67/IS/URM

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! I got a last minute interview at Tech Lubbock and I'm having quite a difficult time figuring out where to rank the school in relation to here. My interests really vacillate between infectious diseases, global health, border health, rural health and family medicine. Foster looks like a unique, really cool place because of border health and being on the border. But I know that Tech Lubbock has that too. I feel that I'm much more politically aligned with El Paso, but I'm also aware that Lubbock is much better established and considered a better school. I wondered if anyone could speak a bit towards what decisions you all are making and what made you pick Foster over other schools, I would really appreciate it! Thanks for everything!

I put PLFSOM at the top because of a scholarship.

Don't regret my decision, very happy here, solid group of friends, doing fine in school. Honestly it's hard because there's only so much you can really feel with online interviews, and EP as a city definitely surprised me in a good way. For what it's worth, I'm not interested in rural medicine or border health, but I do love the patient population here.

Just take into consideration factors beyond the academics themselves (especially if you have the interests that you do). For example: Cost of attendance, cost of living, and distance from support network (this is a big one for a lot of people), as a start.

Reactions: 4 users
I put PLFSOM at the top because of a scholarship.

Don't regret my decision, very happy here, solid group of friends, doing fine in school. Honestly it's hard because there's only so much you can really feel with online interviews, and EP as a city definitely surprised me in a good way. For what it's worth, I'm not interested in rural medicine or border health, but I do love the patient population here.

Just take into consideration factors beyond the academics themselves (especially if you have the interests that you do). For example: Cost of attendance, cost of living, and distance from support network (this is a big one for a lot of people), as a start.
Thank you so much! I have some other schools ahead of Foster for the distance factor, but Lubbock is 6 hours away and El Paso is 8 so I feel that one is kind of negligible, as is cost of living with both being lower than Austin, where I used to live. It definitely is hard to know how I'd feel without seeing the schools and cities in person, but I really think El Paso fits me better.

This is a little bit random, but I'm in Weight Watchers and meetings have been virtual since the pandemic started, so we could go to any meeting. I started going to one in El Paso after my acceptance and the people in WW were even different and special as compared to the people at other meetings in terms of being really open and warm. That's kind of a small and strange sample to pull, but it left me with no doubt that there are people there I could bond with.

Thanks again for your reply!

Thank you so much! I have some other schools ahead of Foster for the distance factor, but Lubbock is 6 hours away and El Paso is 8 so I feel that one is kind of negligible, as is cost of living with both being lower than Austin, where I used to live. It definitely is hard to know how I'd feel without seeing the schools and cities in person, but I really think El Paso fits me better.

This is a little bit random, but I'm in Weight Watchers and meetings have been virtual since the pandemic started, so we could go to any meeting. I started going to one in El Paso after my acceptance and the people in WW were even different and special as compared to the people at other meetings in terms of being really open and warm. That's kind of a small and strange sample to pull, but it left me with no doubt that there are people there I could bond with.

Thanks again for your reply!
Could also consider outdoors activities. Lubbock and EP are both great, but slightly different. Not personally familiar with Lubbock, EP has a lot of hiking trails within 10 min to 4 hours, depending on where you live and what trail you're aiming to try.

Do we still submit rankings for schools and our transcripts even if we haven't gotten an II... Are my chances shot if I haven't gotten an interview invite at this point? I still don't completely understand how the application process has changed due to COVID.

Do we still submit rankings for schools and our transcripts even if we haven't gotten an II... Are my chances shot if I haven't gotten an interview invite at this point? I still don't completely understand how the application process has changed due to COVID.
The only schools you can rank are the ones you have received an II from and it will show under "pending actions" on the right-hand side of the TMDSAS app. You can also only send transcripts if you are accepted into a school (TMDSAS will send you an email after you are accepted telling you to send them in 30 days). As for receiving an interview, I would say they're wrapping up filling spots but don't count yourself out yet. I heard they interview thru early February, although Im not sure how much spots theyve filled at this point. I would assume they would be sending more invites soon to fill the last spots! Hope that helps and I am wishing you the best to get that invite! :)

Sorry, you may only rank schools where you have interviewed.
The ranking list is due from applicants by 5 pm on February 19th, so if you have still not been interviewed by then you are done for this year's application cycle.

Some of the schools will hold re-applicant workshops later in the spring/summer. Although they might not comment on your specific application and why they didn't interview you, they will have good tips for what their school looks for in a candidate and what makes a competetive application.

I'll post links to these workshops as I see them, later this year.

For those of you who have gotten accepted, have you received any scholarship info?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my secondary at the end of October and my application was marked complete by the middle of November. I received an interview with a similar secondary timeline at another institution, so really my question is if this is something in the realm of possibility for Texas Tech, El Paso.
I don't have any answers, just wanted to say I'm in the same exact boat, finished secondary mid october and have yet to hear anything. My pre-med advisor told me that admissions are very backed up this year.
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?
Seconding this!

any update on a future round of acceptances?

any update on a future round of acceptances?
I interviewed about a week ago. They said there will be no more pre-match acceptances after dec. so anyone interviewed in January would have to get accepted through the match. Idk about OOS. They also said feb 4th is the last interview day, so I would guess they are in the process of scheduling their last interviews m

Interview Invite just now! Secondary submitted late august!
LizzyM: 68

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Just got an II as well, but will be declining so I hope someone else gets the spot.

Available dates were in February.

Just received an II today. The last date to interview is Feb 18 I believe.

Anyone have an opinion on how to rank between Paul L Foster SOM and UTMB?

Foster is so unique with its population, curriculum, and small class size.

But, UTMB has a lot more research opportunities and the scholarly pathways are quite interesting. They also have been around for quite a while.

Can anybody provide me anymore insight into both schools and why you selected each? I am having trouble deciding.

But, UTMB has a lot more research opportunities and the scholarly pathways are quite interesting. They also have been around for quite a while.

Can anybody provide me anymore insight into both schools and why you selected each? I am having trouble deciding.
I prematched to Foster and would be delighted to come here, but UTMB is ranked higher. This is primarily due to location, as both have what I'm most interested in: border and global health opportunities, some infectious disease research, and an opportunity to serve underserved communities. I'm married and my husband can't move with me, so moving 4 hours away still makes weekend driving trips feasible, while moving 8 hours away does not. I truly wish Foster were closer because they have something very special. If I don't match higher, I'll know this was just meant to be.

II today, by far my latest invite. LM 72, WARS 90. Turning it down and I hope one of you gets it.

Fascinatingly, the date available was 2/18, the day before rank preferences is due.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Interview Invite this morning. Only available date was February 18th. Will be declining the invite. Hope it goes to one of you!

II today, by far my latest invite. LM 72, WARS 90. Turning it down and I hope one of you gets it.

Fascinatingly, the date available was 2/18, the day before rank preferences is due.
guess they're going to have a late-night admissions committee meeting on the 18th :oops:o_O

• Haha
Pre-matched today! Very excited :) I interviewed on Jan 7th for anyone who's curious

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users

I also have the same dilemma, and I decided to rank PLFSOM first for the following reasons (from most to least important):

1. I see myself working in border health in the future, and I want my medical education to have at least some focus on border health. PLFSOM is perfect for that. While UTMB also promotes border health, it's hard to beat a school that is literally on the border.

2. Imo, PLFSOM's curriculum > UTMB's. While it's true that UTMB is way higher in rank than PLFSOM, I personally find PLFSOM's curriculum more exciting. Spanish integration (although I've heard their Spanish curriculum is transitioning right now due to COVID), border health experience starting at MS1, and presentation-based systems are the three components that I'm most excited about.

3. For me, El Paso > Galveston. Galveston is closer to home and Houston, but I kind of like that El Paso is farther away from everything. I could easily give in and see friends and family in Houston, Dallas, or home when I'm in Galveston and waste a weekend away. In El Paso, it's much harder to do that. Also, El Paso is closer to skiing and nature places!

2. Imo, PLFSOM's curriculum > UTMB's. While it's true that UTMB is way higher in rank than PLFSOM, I personally find PLFSOM's curriculum more exciting. Spanish integration (although I've heard their Spanish curriculum is transitioning right now due to COVID), border health experience starting at MS1, and presentation-based systems are the three components that I'm most excited about.

Just to expand on this a bit from the perspective of a current MS2 gearing up for dedicated:
- The curriculum and scheme presentations are nice in hindsight.
If you plan on prioritizing outside resources as your primary study tool (Boards and Beyond, Sketchy, Pathoma, etc.), the multi-disciplinary approach can be somewhat frustrating. For example, one week you may touch on very specific system concepts but then hop over to an entirely different system due to the overlap. Within the context of that scheme, it makes sense, but if you're using outside resources, the jump can be very frustrating. That being said, current MS2's, and I believe MS1's are doing the same, are creating "Correlation Stations" where lectures are matched up to lecture resources.
My personal recommendation considering STEP prep: Obviously, figure out how you study, but give the correlation stations some real thought. It's to your discretion on whether you want to go through lectures or outside materials first, but I do think that they complement each other decently well. There are minutiae here and there, but they're very manageable.

- I am not a fan of our current Spanish integration. It's a series of online modules that you can brainlessly click through. However, we are currently in the process of grabbing additional Spanish faculty and hopefully that'll lead to a better process. From what I've heard from upperclassmen, you will be using a decent amount of Spanish during rotations anyway, so it's worth the time investment imo.

- Border health experience depends on how much work you want to put in. There are a ton of chances, ranging from volunteering to student-run free clinics, so go for it!

Just to expand on this a bit from the perspective of a current MS2 gearing up for dedicated:
- The curriculum and scheme presentations are nice in hindsight.
If you plan on prioritizing outside resources as your primary study tool (Boards and Beyond, Sketchy, Pathoma, etc.), the multi-disciplinary approach can be somewhat frustrating. For example, one week you may touch on very specific system concepts but then hop over to an entirely different system due to the overlap. Within the context of that scheme, it makes sense, but if you're using outside resources, the jump can be very frustrating. That being said, current MS2's, and I believe MS1's are doing the same, are creating "Correlation Stations" where lectures are matched up to lecture resources.
My personal recommendation considering STEP prep: Obviously, figure out how you study, but give the correlation stations some real thought. It's to your discretion on whether you want to go through lectures or outside materials first, but I do think that they complement each other decently well. There are minutiae here and there, but they're very manageable.

- I am not a fan of our current Spanish integration. It's a series of online modules that you can brainlessly click through. However, we are currently in the process of grabbing additional Spanish faculty and hopefully that'll lead to a better process. From what I've heard from upperclassmen, you will be using a decent amount of Spanish during rotations anyway, so it's worth the time investment imo.

- Border health experience depends on how much work you want to put in. There are a ton of chances, ranging from volunteering to student-run free clinics, so go for it!
hey thanks for your insight!

1. how do you think the quality of instruction is at this school? are the professors good if you were to be someone prioritizing in house material?

2. what do they do for people already fluent in Spanish?

hey thanks for your insight!

1. how do you think the quality of instruction is at this school? are the professors good if you were to be someone prioritizing in house material?

2. what do they do for people already fluent in Spanish?

1. Like anything else, varies. There are definitely some professors who teach better than others, but for the most part every faculty member is reasonably interested in your success. (i.e. Easily available via email, responsive to questions, etc.)
If you prioritize in-house material, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Just be aware that, like any curriculum, in-house material covers some things that aren't on STEP 1 and vice versa. Additionally, we do have a few STEP 2 NBME questions on our exams which just focus on management (e.g. Patient presents with x, y, z, what do you do next?) which can be considered good or bad depending on your personal priorities.

2. As of right now with the online modules, you're still expected to complete them. However, you can just take the quizzes and blaze through all of them. Depending on how fluent you are, there is something that may be gained as some modules put emphasis on very specific aspects of medical terminology in the Spanish-speaking community at large. (e.g. Referring to abdominal pain as panza vs abdomen vs estómago vs estomacal)
If you're born and raised in a Spanish-speaking country and have had medical experiences in Spanish, it may not be as beneficial to you.

With the teachers we had during my MS1 year, it was also interesting because there were some terms that you would hear thrown around in El Paso (El Chuco, ayay, mueble).

1. Like anything else, varies. There are definitely some professors who teach better than others, but for the most part every faculty member is reasonably interested in your success. (i.e. Easily available via email, responsive to questions, etc.)
If you prioritize in-house material, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Just be aware that, like any curriculum, in-house material covers some things that aren't on STEP 1 and vice versa. Additionally, we do have a few STEP 2 NBME questions on our exams which just focus on management (e.g. Patient presents with x, y, z, what do you do next?) which can be considered good or bad depending on your personal priorities.

2. As of right now with the online modules, you're still expected to complete them. However, you can just take the quizzes and blaze through all of them. Depending on how fluent you are, there is something that may be gained as some modules put emphasis on very specific aspects of medical terminology in the Spanish-speaking community at large. (e.g. Referring to abdominal pain as panza vs abdomen vs estómago vs estomacal)
If you're born and raised in a Spanish-speaking country and have had medical experiences in Spanish, it may not be as beneficial to you.

With the teachers we had during my MS1 year, it was also interesting because there were some terms that you would hear thrown around in El Paso (El Chuco, ayay, mueble).
thanks so much! what an awesome, comprehensive reply!

Yeah, I'll confirm too that I didn't send a LOI.

By the way, is there a GroupMe or Facebook or anything for accepted students? I'd Love to join if there is one....

Anyone get an email telling you to make an Eraider account and to get a meningitis vaccine even though you haven't interviewed?

• Haha
Anyone get an email telling you to make an Eraider account and to get a meningitis vaccine even though you haven't interviewed?
Amongst all the stressed out comments about interviews, this just made me really laugh 😂