UTHSCSA Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AnyBody t'inking 'bout the MD/MPH in dis piece?

Considering we start Monday after next?

No Break...Boooooooo! :barf:

aNYBODy having to do the teleconferencia?

There's a list of people interested in it/applied for it on our facebook group's discussion board. Should be fun! :)

Members don't see this ad.

What do you guys think of Promontory Pointe Apartments?

There's a list of people interested in it/applied for it on our facebook group's discussion board. Should be fun! :)

Actually, the list on the Facebook discussion are all those that got accepted into the program! Yea! Congrats on all those who got in!

Members don't see this ad :)
AnyBody t'inking 'bout the MD/MPH in dis piece?

Considering we start Monday after next?

No Break...Boooooooo! :barf:

aNYBODy having to do the teleconferencia?

I have to teleconference. I'm totally excited about starting school again, but it has been about 4 years since I've been a student so I'm looking forward to hitting the books again. :)

What do you guys think of Promontory Pointe Apartments?

I liked their layout and amenities, but there is apparently a ton of stuff wrong with them. A lot of it has been discussed in previous pages, but to sum up: poor maintenance, bad management, awful location, surrounded by section 8 housing (not making any judgments though), and bunches of really bad crime issues (robberies, rapes, thefts, etc.). Other than that...they're GREEEAT!

Now some of this could be exaggeration, rumor, and hearsay, but it was enough to get me to look elsewhere.

Carlyle Place seems to be my #1 choice now. Great location, amenities, layout, etc. minus most of the bad crap.

I liked their layout and amenities, but there is apparently a ton of stuff wrong with them. A lot of it has been discussed in previous pages, but to sum up: poor maintenance, bad management, awful location, surrounded by section 8 housing (not making any judgments though), and bunches of really bad crime issues (robberies, rapes, thefts, etc.). Other than that...they're GREEEAT!

Now some of this could be exaggeration, rumor, and hearsay, but it was enough to get me to look elsewhere.

Carlyle Place seems to be my #1 choice now. Great location, amenities, layout, etc. minus most of the bad crap.

Apartmentratings.com seems to agree with the above. Maybe as a last resort. Carlyle place has nothing in 2BR available. The place is small (won't fit my dining table). I'm hoping I can do the house/condo thing. But incase it doesn't work out I want to have an eye open for apartments. Looks like I may be going down to SAT again this Friday to drive around and look at some more places.

Just to throw out another apartment option. One of my classmates recently moved into the Whispering Creek Villas on Hamilton Wolfe and I thought they had very nice 2 bedroom apartments (they also have 1 bedrooms...). If I had not chosen the house route I might have considered these for myself! Also, when I checked the rates for another classmate, I noticed they offer a 5% student discount. It might be a good one to check out!

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

My friend just graduated from the University of Houston and is trying to find a Human Resources job in San Antonio. I’d really like to room with her so anyone know of anything HR – related in good ole S.A.? :)

Any current students care to comment on how "required" everything in the diag kit is?

Okay I neet to rant about something. What's up with us not having uptodate through VPN/proxy? Looks like we can only use it on campus PC's. $rapRetriever is just that - missing lots of useful info. Good ole Lexi beats it to a pulp. Samething with dyna$rap. </end rant>

All I purchased was a stethescope and a penlight (and you don't even need the penlight...it was just more convenient for me)...you don't NEED the other equipment. I got through the year perfectly fine with those 2 things....the rest is available to use in the CAP labs where you practice on standardized patients.

If you are planning on traveling to do any medical work in other countries (mission trips etc..) it might be a good idea to purchase them, but again you don't need them right now.

All I purchased was a stethescope and a penlight (and you don't even need the penlight...it was just more convenient for me)...you don't NEED the other equipment. I got through the year perfectly fine with those 2 things....the rest is available to use in the CAP labs where you practice on standardized patients.

If you are planning on traveling to do any medical work in other countries (mission trips etc..) it might be a good idea to purchase them, but again you don't need them right now.

Excellent! The diagnostics kit is mucho dinero. So we don't need the reflex hammer, tuning forks or the visual acuity card, as well. I imagine most clinics here would also have them so I doubt we'd ever need them during our training (as long as it's in the US - good point on going outside). :thumbup: Any specific stethescope? Penlight I'm guessing Target should have some to choose from.

Again, all of the tuning forks, reflex hammer, and acuity cards are found in the CAP labs. If you need to practice you can "rent" one of the rooms to use with some classmates. I did not purchase them, BUT some of my classmates did (and will purchase the ENTIRE diagnostics kit..)

I recommend going to:
http://www.allheart.com
http://www.steeles.com

for stethoscopes and other stuff you want to buy. I would do a search on the SDN forums for the best type of stethoscope to get. Thats what I did, and I found some good information (I had NO idea what to get...) Also, those 2 websites were given to me by some MS2's during orientation week. I purchased my stethoscope from steeles.com and did not have any problems.

I do not recommend buying anything from the school during orientation week because it will be VERY overpriced. They sell all of the equipment in the bookstore...but just compare it to the online price and you will see!

Again, all of the tuning forks, reflex hammer, and acuity cards are found in the CAP labs. If you need to practice you can "rent" one of the rooms to use with some classmates. I did not purchase them, BUT some of my classmates did (and will purchase the ENTIRE diagnostics kit..)

I recommend going to:
http://www.allheart.com
http://www.steeles.com

for stethoscopes and other stuff you want to buy. I would do a search on the SDN forums for the best type of stethoscope to get. Thats what I did, and I found some good information (I had NO idea what to get...) Also, those 2 websites were given to me by some MS2's during orientation week. I purchased my stethoscope from steeles.com and did not have any problems.

I do not recommend buying anything from the school during orientation week because it will be VERY overpriced. They sell all of the equipment in the bookstore...but just compare it to the online price and you will see!

Are otoscopes found in the CAP labs as well? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else insanely bored?

Or, TOMORROW for the MPH'rs!!! :eek:

Anyone doing anything fun for the summer?

Twitch = playin video games + watching movies. I know I need a life. :)

going to pakistan w/ the family.

should be pretty cool, figure I need to chill out before skool starts.

Anyone doing anything fun for the summer?

Twitch = playin video games + watching movies. I know I need a life. :)

OOh, what kind of video games? My boyfriend just got the wii and we've been playing trama center, the surgery game. so fun!!

OOh, what kind of video games? My boyfriend just got the wii and we've been playing trama center, the surgery game. so fun!!

Shweet! I mostly play counter strike and any new dx10 games out on the PC. will probably read Better by Gawande at some point.

Shweet! I mostly play counter strike and any new dx10 games out on the PC. will probably read Better by Gawande at some point.

Have you read Complications yet?

sarahjay- yes they have otoscopes and ophthalmoscopes in the CAP labs...you only need a stethoscope :)

any thoughts on the littmann cardiology III stethoscope?

any thoughts on the littmann cardiology III stethoscope?

I'd say it's one of the best stethoscopes made, and the best value. If you physically compare the chestpiece to that of any other brand you will see the difference in construction. Having used them for years I can personally attest that they maintain their quality and integrity pretty much forever. Even the rubber in the tube doesn't fade or degrade. There are more expensive, and maybe better, brands of stethoscopes, but the Littmann Cardiology III is a really good stethoscope. It's universally well respected in hospitals.

I'm interested in putting my name on the waitlist for the garages/lots by hospitals in time for 3rd year. (since i will be living within walking distance to med school the first two years). Which garages/lots are closest to the majority of the hospitals 3rd years will be rotating through?

Thanks in advance!

I was looking over the laptop requirements and they seemed a little over the top. For example, do we really need a laptop with 2 GB ram, 2 GHz processor, 100 GB harddrive, etc...

Seems like about half of that would suffice.

Any current students with some advice?

I was looking over the laptop requirements and they seemed a little over the top. For example, do we really need a laptop with 2 GB ram, 2 GHz processor, 100 GB harddrive, etc...

Seems like about half of that would suffice.

Any current students with some advice?

Not a current student but here are my thoughts:

I think they listed those specs for a laptop that should last you the entire 4 years without any major upgrades much like the one they are selling. Those specs are actually what I got on my new laptop before they sent out that recommendation because I don't plan on replacing my laptop until I finish med school. Plus if your computer does not have Vista, those specs are actually what is optimal for Vista without bogging down your computer significantly. BUT, I would not recommend Vista right now as there are a lot of bugs and compatibility issues still being worked out.

It was mentioned at orientation student discounts at local gyms. Could someone elaborate? What kind of discount and at what gyms? Thanks!!

I used my laptop from undergrad with no problems....It does not have near the specs of the school one and I have not had any problems at all. I also have a desktop which I prefer over the laptop. I hate bringing the laptop to class....so I almost never do. I feel like it ends up being a huge distraction. Oh - my laptop cost $315 and can do anything I need it to do for med school including using ANY and ALL of the CD's and the Virtual Microscopy.

Does anyone know how "mandatory" anatomy lab is?

If I needed to blow out early one afternoon would that be a huge problem for me (or my partners)? Its just a one time deal to catch a flight to a wedding, but its hard to pull the trigger and buy the ticket without a little reassurance...

Thanks for the laptop info aTmchick06 (I'm coming in from aggieland myself)

The memo says to have a stethoscope tube length of 12-15 inches, most of the ones I found online have a tube length of 27 inches.

Can the tube be shortened or do I need to look for one with that specific length?

27 inches really does sound too long : /.

Thanks for the laptop info aTmchick06 (I'm coming in from aggieland myself)

The memo says to have a stethoscope tube length of 12-15 inches, most of the ones I found online have a tube length of 27 inches.

Can the tube be shortened or do I need to look for one with that specific length?

27 inches really does sound too long : /.

The typical length is 25" but it measures from end to end not just the tube length. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Get whatever you can get a good deal on. I don't see why everyone wants to spend a $100+ on a brand name one. For our stage, it's not worth it.

anyone doing the prematriculation program? any thoughts?

anyone doing the prematriculation program? any thoughts?

Myself, I'm definitely interested. It's probably unnecessary for most, but with my BA and tenuous science background, it's very appealing to me.

I was seriously thinking about since my science background isn't that strong either but we won't be here for the summer.

The only real downside I see is that it'll take away from relaxation time before school starts so might not feel completely mellowed out : j .

Anatomy labs are required, but you can leave early for a wedding easily. As long as you don't leave early all the time your tankmates won't or shouldn't care. Also, they take role in the beginning so just make sure you get counted there. If it happens to be your dissection....then offer to do your partner's dissection the next time....that's all I can think of.

I have been told you want the longer stethoscope tubes for third year because you don't want to be that close to really sick patients. I don't know how true this is since I have only practiced on the standardized patients. I don't remember what mine is, but I am sure it's around the standard length.

Any thoughts on the new houses over at rockwell village?

haha...I happen to live at Rockwell Village so I can answer this too. I LOVE my house there...I highly recommend it. I always feel safe...I have a backyard for my dog and my grill....It is full of families, lots of students, and I know two residents living there. It is EXTREMELY convenient because you can jump onto Medical without getting on Babcock so it takes me like 5 minutes to drive to school. I really like that it is gated. I feel the houses are well built - I have had no warranty issues in the first year. There are also houses for rent there if you aren't looking to buy. I really think its great for a student at UTHSCSA. You can PM me for any more info!

I just got all my immunizations and blood drawn for the chicken pox titer...

Owww! :(

The nurses were poking fun at me because I didn't want to look at the needle.

"And you want to be a doctor?" :rolleyes:

I just got all my immunizations and blood drawn for the chicken pox titer...

Owww! :(

The nurses were poking fun at me because I didn't want to look at the needle.

"And you want to be a doctor?" :rolleyes:

What matters is how you give it, not how you take it! :laugh:

Howdy all! I think I may very well be the LAST student accepted to UTHSCSA. It certainly doesn't give me very much time to find a place to live nor does it give my wife much time to try to transfer/find a new job! But uh, there's no way I'm turning down the opportunity!

A quick scroll may allow me to jump into the conversations...I was a paramedic during college and it's true--you definitely want a longer stethoscope as long as you're not trying to be a cardiologist--not because you don't want to get close to sick people (no choice there), but because it gives you more flexibility when you aren't in a perfectly serene environment where you have full and easy access to the patient (read: ER, ICU, patient mobility/flexibility is a problem).

And yes, you can pass out everytime you get stuck--just so long as you don't pass out watching someone else get stuck ;-)

Howdy all! I think I may very well be the LAST student accepted to UTHSCSA. It certainly doesn't give me very much time to find a place to live nor does it give my wife much time to try to transfer/find a new job! But uh, there's no way I'm turning down the opportunity!

Welcome, PeleNO, and congratulations!:welcome:

Welcome, PeleNO, and congratulations!:welcome:
Thanks!! But uh, WOW, there is a lot of information that I've missed already. People are talking about diagnostic kits, immunizations, books, retreats--and I haven't even gotten my "acceptance packet" yet! All of a sudden the feelings of bliss and ecstacy just got replaced by anxiety and sheer, blind terror that I'm going to be playing catch-up for the next four years. *breathe* Much better. Mini-freak-out over. :-D Time to go play some video games before bed time...

A quick scroll may allow me to jump into the conversations...I was a paramedic during college and it's true--you definitely want a longer stethoscope as long as you're not trying to be a cardiologist--not because you don't want to get close to sick people (no choice there), but because it gives you more flexibility when you aren't in a perfectly serene environment where you have full and easy access to the patient (read: ER, ICU, patient mobility/flexibility is a problem).

And yes, you can pass out everytime you get stuck--just so long as you don't pass out watching someone else get stuck ;-)

Congrats!! :)

All of a sudden the feelings of bliss and ecstacy just got replaced by anxiety and sheer, blind terror that I'm going to be playing catch-up for the next four years.

I have a feeling we're going to experience that a lot during the next 4 years! :eek:

Thanks!! But uh, WOW, there is a lot of information that I've missed already. People are talking about diagnostic kits, immunizations, books, retreats--and I haven't even gotten my "acceptance packet" yet! All of a sudden the feelings of bliss and ecstacy just got replaced by anxiety and sheer, blind terror that I'm going to be playing catch-up for the next four years. *breathe* Much better. Mini-freak-out over. :-D Time to go play some video games before bed time...

You don't play Counterstrike do you ? If you do, let me know. My buddies and I play all the time.

Nah, I fear that I'd become addicted if I tried to play people online--I just sit at home, strike up the old XBox and beat up on the computer in FIFA 2006. Hooray for stress relief! And yes SarahJay, I may as well get used to the feeling :)