UTHSCSA Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here are zip codes to aid in finding a place near school:

78229 (school)
78240 (north of school)
78249 (north of 78240 but in loop)

The following are outside the quadrant (I-10/I-410/1604/Bandera)
78230 (west of I-10)
78228 (south of 410)

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that the prematriculation program is put on by the school, I think by the hispanic center of excellence. They only invite certain people... I wasn't invited, and the only people I know who were are of Hispanic descent, but I don't really know the details. My friends didn't end up going to it. It sounded like they had "mini-med school" for a few weeks in June to talk about study habits, cover some basics, etc.

As far as Datapoint - creepy housing along it, very, very creepy.

There are free bike racks by the anatomy labs and by the lecture halls, you don't have to pay anything extra. I got a free bike tag with my zone 3 parking. There's a motorcycle space both by the anatomy labs and by the lecture halls too.

Megalife - had it first year, never used it. Had a friend who really got screwed on it with a pregnancy, where they were something like 6 months late paying anything, after her doctor and the hospital had already sent to collections. Since then, we've used whatever insurance was offered by my husband's job.

The Hispanic Center of Excellence is closing down during the summer due to cuts in government funding. So they won't be putting on a prematriculation program. I don't know if the school is going to take over it or not, but it didn't seem like it. I took the prematric program last year and it was really only marginally helpful (of course I did sleep through most of it :). Concentrate on having a good summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the FA letter today and was as expected. All loans except a little TPEG money.

Hey, anyone do their background check yet? I accidentally deleted the e-mail that mentions it. I did the background check, but do I need to e-mail the school with a password or follow up somehow?

Thanks in advance. =)

Hey, anyone do their background check yet? I accidentally deleted the e-mail that mentions it. I did the background check, but do I need to e-mail the school with a password or follow up somehow?

Thanks in advance. =)

Here is a copy of the e-mail:
Dear Class of 2010:

Congratulations and welcome to the University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio!

The University of Texas requires that all students have a completed background check on file prior to matriculation. We have hired Certified Background to conduct the background checks for the Medical School.

ALL background checks MUST be done through this company; NO outside background checks will be accepted.

You will find attached to this e-mail a PDF document with instructions on purchasing a background check. It is important that you follow these instructions to prevent problems in your medical school matriculation. Please note: you MUST send us your password for the website so that we may review your completed background check.

Should you have any questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to contact this office at the information listed below. We look forward to your arrival and the next four years with you!

Should you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at the information listed below.

Thank you,

Miss Robyn D. Murphy

Administrative Assistant II

to Dr. Lee Jones, Associate Dean of Student Affairs

UTHSCSA

Medical School Dean's Office

7703 Floyd Curl Drive MC 7790

San Antonio, Texas 78229

(210) 567-0558

(210) 567-6962 (Fax)

E-Mail: [email protected]

http://som.uthscsa.edu

I guess you have to send them your password.

I also got my FA letter today. Would scholarships be awarded on this letter? I didn't get any. I am a little bummed since Dr. Jones said that there would be $2 million available for awards.

Since y'all are coming to San Antonio - I thought I'd take a sec to tell you about a tradition here that really confused me when we moved. This is Fiesta week and today is Battle of San Jacinto day. A good portion of the town parties for like 10 days. There are festivals/parades/etc all over town starting last Friday I think! The big culmination is today with the Battle of Flowers parade downtown, which historically refers to some society ladies reenacting the battle of San Jacinto by throwing flowers at each other. What does this mean to you? There are some really fun events to go to, NIOSA (night in old san antonio), Oyster Bake at St Mary's, etc that are pretty popular. It also is a skeleton day at the school - and if you happen to be on rotation at Santa Rosa for peds - you can't get there today because of the parade route (so you get the day off:D ). It didn't make sense to me why battle of san jacinto was such a big deal in SA, but it is.
Good luck and welcome!

Since y'all are coming to San Antonio - I thought I'd take a sec to tell you about a tradition here that really confused me when we moved. This is Fiesta week and today is Battle of San Jacinto day. A good portion of the town parties for like 10 days. There are festivals/parades/etc all over town starting last Friday I think! The big culmination is today with the Battle of Flowers parade downtown, which historically refers to some society ladies reenacting the battle of San Jacinto by throwing flowers at each other. What does this mean to you? There are some really fun events to go to, NIOSA (night in old san antonio), Oyster Bake at St Mary's, etc that are pretty popular. It also is a skeleton day at the school - and if you happen to be on rotation at Santa Rosa for peds - you can't get there today because of the parade route (so you get the day off:D ). It didn't make sense to me why battle of san jacinto was such a big deal in SA, but it is.
Good luck and welcome!

Random city-wide parties and celebrations! One of the many reasons to love San Antonio! :hardy: :love:

Is anybody planning on getting a new labtop for school? Any recommendations/comments? I'm not very tech-savvy...

Anyone going to live in San Antonio Station Apartments? :)

Is anybody planning on getting a new labtop for school? Any recommendations/comments? I'm not very tech-savvy...

This is really something of personal preference depending on what you want to use it for. If you already have a desktop, you might want something smaller and lighter. If it will be your only computer you might want a larger screen and a processor with more power. And there are some people in our class and they only use their desktops and they said they've managed pretty well all year.

What you'll need a computer for:

1. To view histo lab images given to you on a cd and a portable hard drive. In histo lab you will be required to keep an electronic "portfolio" of images given to you on a portable hard drive. Some people choose to stay after the histo labs with their laptop and Dr. King will help you select and label images which is extremely helpful. The people who stay after tend to do very well on the images portion of the histo exams. So if you think you might be one of these people, you will need a laptop.

2. Anatomy gives your a Galen cd that is full of questions over each lecture. There will be a weekly quiz given that will contain questions verbatim from the cd. You must get 7 out of 10 correct for a pass and you are allowed 2 fails over the year. There is no reason to fail these quizzes, just do all the questions. And some tend to pop up on exams so it's helpful in prepping for the exam too. There is also a cd of x-rays they'll give you. I prefer this to standing in the hall of the anatomy lab staring at really old placards placed either too high or too low to read.

3. Neuro starts in the spring and has a large self-study component. The neuro cd they give with your syllabus should be a huge study resource for you. It also has Galen-like questions that you can use to study for exams.

4. Some people like to type up notes in class . . . I only tried this briefly for histo, but I found it wasn't helpful for me.

I have a desktop and the Dell XPS M1210. I love mine. It's super light, 12.1" dual core processor. And since the XPS line came out the Inspiron lines are super cheap and still really good computers. I bring my computer to school on days that I know I'll want to study histo, anatomy, or neuro in the library. Although it's worthwhile to note that there are computer labs in the library that you can use. Just pop your cd in and you're set.

There seem to be quite a few Mac users here. I don't know a whole lot about them. The Galen cd is kind of picky anyway, but I think one of my Mac-using friends cannot view the table of contents that tells you which lecture number to bring up, but he can use all of the questions. He just asks me which lectures correspond to each number. I'm not really sure about compatibility issues with the other software we use.

The school does offer a dell laptop that seems to have more power than my gaming laptop (completely unneccessary for the software they expect you to run). In my opinion, it's a bit overpriced.

Some people highly recommend getting the extended warranty with stupid insurance. After all you will likely be sleep-deprived, stressed out, and angry at some point in the next four years and it's nice to know that if you drive away with your laptop on top of your car, it's covered. :)

And one more thing, if you are going to be buying something new, most come with a free printer. A printer would actually be a nice thing to have. You'll most likely want to print out all of the physiology lecture slides since the syllabus is more of a list of objectives rather than notes like every other class. Most people print out the lecture slides and stick that in their notebook and use it like syllabus notes. The library charges 10 cents/pg.

Hope that helps some.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that we can get some good deals on laptops with good warranties from the School.

I was thinking about San Antonio Station because it is soo close and pretty cheap.

*See above* :)

I was wanting input from current students about the medical insurance that the school offers. What do you like/dislike about it? Is it worth it? If you don't have MegaLife do you suggest another insurance company. Thanks for any input!

I honestly haven't heard anything good about Megalife. I know that they think that we have a pharmacy here, but we don't. So to get your scrips paid for you have to pay cash up front, submit receipts, and then wait to receive a check by mail. They didn't cover my friend's xray she had taken at an ER. Pretty much everyone I know that has it and gets regular scrips and actually sees a doc hates it. It's probably not too bad if you don't have any scrips you need filled monthly and rarely need an office visit. Since most everyone who used Megalife this year are looking for new insurance for next year, here's what one of my friends sent out on our listserve. He's going to Africa this summer and needed ARVs that were going to cost $1200 in cash. His plan covered $800 of it.

"disclaimer - I promise that I'm not an insurance agent, don't get
kickbacks for referring people... Just thought this might be helpful

Class,

I've noticed a lot of people complaining about the university's
health insurance plan. I know it's time to renew, and that lots of
people are looking for alternatives to MegaLife. I've been using a
company called "unicare" for about 3 years now, and have been very
happy with it. You can check out their website at-

www.unicare.com

I'm not sure exactly what plan I have, (SuperSaver 2000?) but it runs
about $80/month, pay for 3 months at a time. My own plan has a
pretty high deductable for hospitalizations, but it has good drug
coverage and you get a couple of routine office visits each year.

Hope this helps.

Happy shopping,

-mk."

Here are zip codes to aid in finding a place near school:

78229 (school)
78240 (north of school)
78249 (north of 78240 but in loop)

The following are outside the quadrant (I-10/I-410/1604/Bandera)
78230 (west of I-10)
78228 (south of 410)

A ton of us live in the 78240 area. It's really close to school (I'm <2 miles from campus) and decently nice.

Dr. G,

Do you know how much need-based aid, TPEG and subsidized loans, students typically get?

And I know we have discussed scholarships ad nauseum, but do you know the typical amounts for these or if they will be increasing due to the Grehey donations (like Dr. Jones said that they might)?

Dr. G,

Do you know how much need-based aid, TPEG and subsidized loans, students typically get?

And I know we have discussed scholarships ad nauseum, but do you know the typical amounts for these or if they will be increasing due to the Grehey donations (like Dr. Jones said that they might)?

I'm really anxious about hearing more about scholarship possibilities. Have they already been given out?

Dr. G,

Sorry guys, I really wish I knew more about this. I honestly don't remember much about what happened with us last year and was so tired of writing essays I didn't really go that extra step to find out.

You might try emailing Dr. Jones's assistant, Miss Robyn Murphy at [email protected]. She can find out more info for you or direct you to someone who can. I would recommend sending one email to her with your questions and then posting her responses here. She hasn't been replying to emails so quickly lately so she's probably pretty busy about now. She might be able to give more complete responses if she's not bombarded with a ton of emails.

And I just talked with Matt, the guy in our class who emailed out about his health ins., and I just want you guys to be aware that his deductible is $3000 in the event that he is hospitalized. He said the the drug coverage and a couple office visits per year is great, but if he's ever hospitalized he does have a high deductible. So, just something else to think about when choosing ins.

And I just talked with Matt, the guy in our class who emailed out about his health ins., and I just want you guys to be aware that his deductible is $3000 in the event that he is hospitalized. He said the the drug coverage and a couple office visits per year is great, but if he's ever hospitalized he does have a high deductible. So, just something else to think about when choosing ins.

I have heard similar stories about Mega Life/Death, but as relatively healthy "young" adults, catastrophic-type deductibles combined with decent prescription and doctor visit copays might not be a bad deal.

It's all about risk assessment.

I wrote Dr. Jones about scholarships, and this is what he wrote back:

"Scholarships are assigned once school starts. By checking the box, this allows us to use your application as the scholarship application. "
Dr. J.

Does anyone know what time the white coat ceremony is at, or how long it lasts (I'm just asking for people that need flight info)

Well, I know last year the white coat ceremony started at 10am, and it was on the Sunday before orientation started...

BTW, has anyone seem this year's residency match list? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I've heard quite a few did not match this year.

Well, I know last year the white coat ceremony started at 10am, and it was on the Sunday before orientation started...

BTW, has anyone seem this year's residency match list? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I've heard quite a few did not match this year.

The match list and entering class list from 2006 are on the school's site under prospective students/admissions. I e-mailed the webmaster asking if/when this year's would be posted just yesterday, and he said that he would try to find out.

[/U said:
[/U]sarahjay;5103635]Well, I know last year the white coat ceremony started at 10am, and it was on the Sunday before orientation started...

What/from whom have you heard? :scared:

What/from whom have you heard? :scared:

I heard from an MSI at Welcome Weekend. Two of her friends who were applying in ortho. didn't match. I don't remember the exact number she told me, but it seemed higher than most schools. I think it was around 10, but don't quote me on it. I'm not sure if they ended up scrambling into anything.

This is really something of personal preference depending on what you want to use it for. If you already have a desktop, you might want something smaller and lighter. If it will be your only computer you might want a larger screen and a processor with more power. And there are some people in our class and they only use their desktops and they said they've managed pretty well all year...

A couple of follow ups on these Dr. G:

1) Are the physio slides in powerpoint and can you download from the prof's website?

2) Is there enough space on the desk to use an external mouse? I hate the pointing stick on my thinkpad x60.

3) When are the CDs made available? I have an external cd/dvd drive and I'd rather not bring that to class if I can just copy the CD's onto the lappy intiallly.

4) Is a 12" screen big enough?

It seems like an unconventional schedule (i.e. no MWF, same class twice in a day, etc.).

I wonder if we need to expect 8-3/9-4 everyday (I see that some days are short, 11-2, but they seem to be the exception).

Could any of the current students (Dr. G, tiredmom) give us a breakdown of their typical day for first year (time in class/no class, time studying, lab, TV, etc.).

I heard from an MSI at Welcome Weekend. Two of her friends who were applying in ortho. didn't match. I don't remember the exact number she told me, but it seemed higher than most schools. I think it was around 10, but don't quote me on it. I'm not sure if they ended up scrambling into anything.

People have a hard time matching ortho at every school. After looking at old match lists, I think San Antonio usually places more ortho people than most of the other schools in TX.

since I don't feel like studying anymore for our Micro shelf tomorrow...I will answer (or try) to answer some of y'alls questions...

1.As far as physio slides- They were on a site called Blackboard that we have which has 3 of our classes and all the documents for them. Blackboard is used for our Anatomy, Physiology, and On Becoming a Doctor classes. It is also where they post (most) of the answer keys from our tests...and by answer key I mean just the multiple choice answer (letter)...they don't post the tests. You can easily download and print all of the physio slides when they become available...a lot of times the night before or morning of class.

3. You will get your Cd's when you pick up your syllabi for the first time (after you have paid for them). I copied all of them onto my laptop and never had a problem.

2. sorry I did these out of order....Ok the desks in the MS1 and MS2 lecture halls are not actually individual desks, but long tables that extend from one side of the room to the other. The first couple weeks when everyone is showing up to class it may be tight...but soon after you will have multiple seats free next to you if you choose. An external mouse would be fine.

4. I don't know...whatever you are comfortable with. Both my laptop and desktop have 15" screens. On a side note- I did not purchase a new computer for med school. I have a cheap laptop, and my fiance built my desktop....I have had no problems whatsoever. I also never bring my laptop to school...they have computers you can use in the library and that is all I have ever needed...

Ok onto the schedule.

This is something I definately had to adjust to in med school...You are right- the schedule is unconventional. Every day is different pretty much. You need to either print out the schedule they put up or write the entire thing in a planner b/c you can't predict what the next day has in store. The exception to this is anatomy and anatomy lab. You will have this on Monday and Thursday....then it will pick up a little bit in Jan/Feb. Usually....if you go to class then you will be there on average till ~ 3 or 4. I did not go to every class and my grades do not suffer....pick what you like/ and are comfortable with.

The typical day goes like this:
Class begins at 8 or 9....I am usually at least 15 minutes late no matter what..
You have 50 minutes of class with 10 minute breaks up until lunch at 12
lunch from 12 to 1...this is when all the interest groups meet in various places
Class from 1 to 3 or 4 (50 min with 10 minute breaks)

Ok so the other thing I had to adjust to is you will have multiple lectures in the same subject back to back on any given day. Usually it will only be 2 back to back lectures...sometimes 3.

Every class is taught by multiple people. This was very strange to me. Exam questions will be written differently according to who taught the lecture. Anatomy and Histo would be the exception to this too....even though they are taught by multiple people, all the test questions are similar. If this is not making sense now...it will...and I am sorry for my horrible explanations I am tired :)

As far as studying goes...it is completely individual. There is no "set" way of how to study....you will have to figure it out on your own! It also depends on what your goals are....do you want A's....just to pass.....that will greatly influence your study time.

As far as going to class goes....again that is individual. People go to every class, no class, or a mixture. I have had second years tell me - oh you absolutely have to go to this class....well I wouldn't go and still did great. It just depends on how you individually learn best.

You will be able to have a life! Don't freak out about this...At first it may be overwhelming, but as soon as you get through the "newness" of everything and get a routine....it will be fine! I go out to eat with my parents and grandma almost every Sunday....that is including the weekend before tests...and I frequently go visit my fiance (3 hours away)

Ok thats all I have for now...I hope it helps!!!

since I don't feel like studying anymore for our Micro shelf tomorrow...I will answer (or try) to answer some of y'alls questions...

1.As far as physio slides- They were on a site called Blackboard that we have which has 3 of our classes and all the documents for them. Blackboard is used for our Anatomy, Physiology, and On Becoming a Doctor classes. It is also where they post (most) of the answer keys from our tests...and by answer key I mean just the multiple choice answer (letter)...they don't post the tests. You can easily download and print all of the physio slides when they become available...a lot of times the night before or morning of class.

3. You will get your Cd's when you pick up your syllabi for the first time (after you have paid for them). I copied all of them onto my laptop and never had a problem.

2. sorry I did these out of order....Ok the desks in the MS1 and MS2 lecture halls are not actually individual desks, but long tables that extend from one side of the room to the other. The first couple weeks when everyone is showing up to class it may be tight...but soon after you will have multiple seats free next to you if you choose. An external mouse would be fine.

4. I don't know...whatever you are comfortable with. Both my laptop and desktop have 15" screens. On a side note- I did not purchase a new computer for med school. I have a cheap laptop, and my fiance built my desktop....I have had no problems whatsoever. I also never bring my laptop to school...they have computers you can use in the library and that is all I have ever needed...

Ok onto the schedule.

This is something I definately had to adjust to in med school...You are right- the schedule is unconventional. Every day is different pretty much. You need to either print out the schedule they put up or write the entire thing in a planner b/c you can't predict what the next day has in store. The exception to this is anatomy and anatomy lab. You will have this on Monday and Thursday....then it will pick up a little bit in Jan/Feb. Usually....if you go to class then you will be there on average till ~ 3 or 4. I did not go to every class and my grades do not suffer....pick what you like/ and are comfortable with.

The typical day goes like this:
Class begins at 8 or 9....I am usually at least 15 minutes late no matter what..
You have 50 minutes of class with 10 minute breaks up until lunch at 12
lunch from 12 to 1...this is when all the interest groups meet in various places
Class from 1 to 3 or 4 (50 min with 10 minute breaks)

Ok so the other thing I had to adjust to is you will have multiple lectures in the same subject back to back on any given day. Usually it will only be 2 back to back lectures...sometimes 3.

Every class is taught by multiple people. This was very strange to me. Exam questions will be written differently according to who taught the lecture. Anatomy and Histo would be the exception to this too....even though they are taught by multiple people, all the test questions are similar. If this is not making sense now...it will...and I am sorry for my horrible explanations I am tired :)

As far as studying goes...it is completely individual. There is no "set" way of how to study....you will have to figure it out on your own! It also depends on what your goals are....do you want A's....just to pass.....that will greatly influence your study time.

As far as going to class goes....again that is individual. People go to every class, no class, or a mixture. I have had second years tell me - oh you absolutely have to go to this class....well I wouldn't go and still did great. It just depends on how you individually learn best.

You will be able to have a life! Don't freak out about this...At first it may be overwhelming, but as soon as you get through the "newness" of everything and get a routine....it will be fine! I go out to eat with my parents and grandma almost every Sunday....that is including the weekend before tests...and I frequently go visit my fiance (3 hours away)

Ok thats all I have for now...I hope it helps!!!

Thanks aTmchick! As always your answers are detailed and informative.

2. Anatomy gives your a Galen cd that is full of questions over each lecture. There will be a weekly quiz given that will contain questions verbatim from the cd. You must get 7 out of 10 correct for a pass and you are allowed 2 fails over the year. There is no reason to fail these quizzes, just do all the questions. And some tend to pop up on exams so it's helpful in prepping for the exam too. There is also a cd of x-rays they'll give you. I prefer this to standing in the hall of the anatomy lab staring at really old placards placed either too high or too low to read.

Damn...so what your saying is we really cant skip ALL our classes ehh?

Damn...so what your saying is we really cant skip ALL our classes ehh?

I think I remember hearing that weekly quizzes were going to be canceled for our year because of past students hating them so much. (From current students at the Welcome Weekend)

well...you should at least go to class in the beginning...so you can make friends- and if you make cool friends then they will keep you updated with random extra stuff they say to know or stuff to not know

There will be required lectures throughout the year...but you will be told which ones they are.

All labs are required. Anatomy lab, histology lab, microbiology lab, CAP lab.....

Then choose if you like class or not...and don't let anyone make you feel guilty about it!

aTmchick06,

do you recommend signing up for a parking lot if you will be living at san antonio station apts.?

aTmchick06,

do you recommend signing up for a parking lot if you will be living at san antonio station apts.?

Not that I am atmchick, but from what I remember, Station is closer to school than the closest parking spot and especially closer than anything we will be able to get first year. I wish that I was that close :( .

aTmchick06,

if you don't get parking, make sure you get on the waiting list for some good parking. you probably won't be living in san antonio station by your 3rd year, so you will need some sort of parking. Roof of Garage 1 is the best b/c it is closest to the hospital, but it has a 2 year waiting list, so if you wait until you actually need to have the permit, it will be too late. if you got on waitinglist now, you should get it by third year.

anyone buying scrubs from the pathology dept.? if so, what color??? :) I'm thinking royal and wine.. OOOO.

anyone buying scrubs from the pathology dept.? if so, what color??? :) I'm thinking royal and wine.. OOOO.

I wouldn't buy new scrubs for anatomy lab. After a year of cadaver juice on them, you wouldn't hold on to them. Just use some old ones for now and save your money.

Ok well here is what I would recommend for the San antonio station apartments or any other apartments you can walk from. I would buy a lot 17 pass (its like....$50?? maybe less I can't remember) and ONLY because you might want to park on campus in the evenings or weekends for tutoring etc. After 5 you can park anywhere on campus as LONG as you have a UTHSCSA parking pass (same is true for the weekend). It is worth it if you end up doing anatomy lab tutoring (which most everyone does...) or enjoy studying in the library.

You also ABSOLUTELY want to get on a waiting list ASAP!!!! try to go the first few days you can....around June 15th or so???? You can call them and see what the first available day is.

SCRUBS:
I just want to let y'all know you do have the option of renting scrubs from the University Hospital. It is a $10 refundable deposit ($20 if you get 2 pair). I did this for anatomy lab and LOVED IT because I never had to wash nasty scrubs with anatomy "junk" on them in my washer!! They have these machines on several of the floors where you get dispened a pair, and when you are finished using them from lab you can deposit them in the machine for a new pair. A lot of people did this in my class. I purchased scrubs...and they are still in the plastic they came in. I wished someone had told this to me before I had started! :)

I like the renting a scrub idea!

FYI- If someone is wondering about the real estate market in San Antonio, here is a pretty comprehensive report from the RE dept at TX A&M. It's got more info than you want but there are some interesting reports/charts on home appreciation and such.

I should be in SAT tomorrow to look at houses and condos. I'm not convinced I should buy, but it doesn't hurt to look I figure.

Anyone going to live in San Antonio Station Apartments? :)
I was on the wait list, just got an apt at SA Station. I'm thrilled to be so close to school. Did you get a place there too?

just got word that my financial aid situation needs to be "verified". anyone experience this--how long does it take?

just got word that my financial aid situation needs to be "verified". anyone experience this--how long does it take?

Doesn't take too long. Just send them the paperwork they request. Usu it's stuff like copy of 1040 or something.

AnyBody t'inking 'bout the MD/MPH in dis piece?

Considering we start Monday after next?

No Break...Boooooooo! :barf:

aNYBODy having to do the teleconferencia?