UTHSCSA Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any current students share how orientation week is? How mandatory is each day? (I would like to leave early on Friday and help my boyfriend move up to NY.)

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of follow ups on these Dr. G:

1) Are the physio slides in powerpoint and can you download from the prof's website?

2) Is there enough space on the desk to use an external mouse? I hate the pointing stick on my thinkpad x60.

3) When are the CDs made available? I have an external cd/dvd drive and I'd rather not bring that to class if I can just copy the CD's onto the lappy intiallly.

4) Is a 12" screen big enough?

Sorry I've been MIA, I've been outta the country for a bit.

1) I don't recall exactly what the slides are in, but I don't think it's powerpoint. I think they print out 2 per page. Last year they were posted on Blackboard, which I don't think you guys have access to yet.

2) You may or may not have enough room to use a mouse in class depending on how close you sit to the next person in your row and who it is. I rarely use my laptop in class because I like to follow in the syllabus as well so when I do, it's sitting on part of my notes and I don't have enough room to use mine. If you're sitting in a row with lots of empty seats (this will be possible more after the first module when some people decide to skip out on class) then you'll have plenty of room.

3) The study cd, Galen cd, and neuroscience cd will copy to your computer, I'm not sure about the anatomy x-rays . . . I can only remember 1 cd not being able to copy last year, but I can't remember which.

4) I've got a 12" screen and I love my laptop. It's not a chore to lug to school and it's been big enough for my purposes. If I feel like I need a bigger screen I go to the library and use theirs or use my desktop.

It seems like an unconventional schedule (i.e. no MWF, same class twice in a day, etc.).

I wonder if we need to expect 8-3/9-4 everyday (I see that some days are short, 11-2, but they seem to be the exception).

Could any of the current students (Dr. G, tiredmom) give us a breakdown of their typical day for first year (time in class/no class, time studying, lab, TV, etc.).

This is really up to you. Everybody approaches it a little bit differently. I would rather sit through class than study it on my own. Other people can get through the material faster if they just read it on their own. The key is to quickly find a balance that works for you. I found that there was actually more time than I thought there would be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn...so what your saying is we really cant skip ALL our classes ehh?

Hehe, actually you could skip anatomy too since you have the cd with all of the quiz questions and answers . . . but that was actually one of the classes I religiously attended. Great teachers and you really have to understand it to do well on the exams (and life :)), can't just memorize it.

I think I remember hearing that weekly quizzes were going to be canceled for our year because of past students hating them so much. (From current students at the Welcome Weekend)

The weekly quizzes you're talking about used to be over all of the classes. Now the only ones that are left are Galen quizzes from the cd in anatomy and physiology that is half individual and half group quizzing. Both of which i thought were helpful, though some disagree.

Ok well here is what I would recommend for the San antonio station apartments or any other apartments you can walk from. I would buy a lot 17 pass (its like....$50?? maybe less I can't remember) and ONLY because you might want to park on campus in the evenings or weekends for tutoring etc. After 5 you can park anywhere on campus as LONG as you have a UTHSCSA parking pass (same is true for the weekend). It is worth it if you end up doing anatomy lab tutoring (which most everyone does...) or enjoy studying in the library.

You also ABSOLUTELY want to get on a waiting list ASAP!!!! try to go the first few days you can....around June 15th or so???? You can call them and see what the first available day is.

SCRUBS:
I just want to let y'all know you do have the option of renting scrubs from the University Hospital. It is a $10 refundable deposit ($20 if you get 2 pair). I did this for anatomy lab and LOVED IT because I never had to wash nasty scrubs with anatomy "junk" on them in my washer!! They have these machines on several of the floors where you get dispened a pair, and when you are finished using them from lab you can deposit them in the machine for a new pair. A lot of people did this in my class. I purchased scrubs...and they are still in the plastic they came in. I wished someone had told this to me before I had started! :)

Hey, so they say that you need a parking pass to park on campus but really you don't. The guards at the entrance will let you in when you give them your last name. I just show my ID badge and they let me in every time.

And I definitely agree about renting the scrubs!! You can't beat $10/pair and free washing :) And one day I wore in favorite scrubs and the tank fluid stained them that oily stain :( So leave the stuff you care about at home.

Doesn't take too long. Just send them the paperwork they request. Usu it's stuff like copy of 1040 or something.

So, I found out that you always have to be verified if you file FAFSA before you file your taxes. So, it might be worth your while to just wait to file . . . I don't think it puts you ahead to file before taxes since you have to dig up all your paperwork and send it in anyway.

Just to throw out another apartment option. One of my classmates recently moved into the Whispering Creek Villas on Hamilton Wolfe and I thought they had very nice 2 bedroom apartments (they also have 1 bedrooms...). If I had not chosen the house route I might have considered these for myself! Also, when I checked the rates for another classmate, I noticed they offer a 5% student discount. It might be a good one to check out!

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

I agree that this place looks nice. When I moved down here I was deciding between Whispering Creek and Melograno. They are on the same street. I've heard that they've had several cars stolen lately, including one of my classmate's. I was talking to him about it and he'd heard there was a car stolen from Melograno too, but I haven't heard about that and I live there. So, just a heads up to lock your cars and don't keep anything too valuable in them even when you live in a nice gated apt.

I'm interested in putting my name on the waitlist for the garages/lots by hospitals in time for 3rd year. (since i will be living within walking distance to med school the first two years). Which garages/lots are closest to the majority of the hospitals 3rd years will be rotating through?

Thanks in advance!

Just wanted to put in another plug for Zone 2. I'm in lot 2 which is right next to the parking garage. Since the parking garage isn't actually attached to the school or any covered walkways I chose the to wait for the lots. I got my parking pass around the end of March my first year. You can get on the waiting list for any lot in Zone 2 which is what I highly recommend. All 3 lots are as close to the med school as you can get. There are a few unreseved spots in each lot, but I don't think it's worth it unless you get a reserved spot. The unreserved spaces fill up fast near the med school and then you'll have to park farther away on campus. If you haven't signed up already, it's time to get on it before the dental students start!

Thanks for answering all of our questions Dr. Girlfriend!

Just wanted to put in another plug for Zone 2. I'm in lot 2 which is right next to the parking garage. Since the parking garage isn't actually attached to the school or any covered walkways I chose the to wait for the lots. I got my parking pass around the end of March my first year. You can get on the waiting list for any lot in Zone 2 which is what I highly recommend. All 3 lots are as close to the med school as you can get. There are a few unreseved spots in each lot, but I don't think it's worth it unless you get a reserved spot. The unreserved spaces fill up fast near the med school and then you'll have to park farther away on campus. If you haven't signed up already, it's time to get on it before the dental students start!

Any idea how long the wait for Garage A will be? I'm guessing it might be closer when it comes to MS3.

Any idea how long the wait for Garage A will be? I'm guessing it might be closer when it comes to MS3.
That garage takes for-EVER. OTOH, garage B waiting is pretty short. And FWIW, it's only a 3-4 minute walk to anywhere, including University Hospital. 5-6 for the VA.

Don't listen to anything the froggie tells you. He's C.R.A.Z.Y! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey hey we got roja and Evo! Good to see you guys on the thread.

Anyone see the Spurs/Cavs game last night? The first half had me a little worried and towards the end it was starting to get pretty close. Now a 4-0 victory would be pretty sweet. :thumbup:

Roja - are you an attending now?

Evo - any pearls/wisdom for us underclassmen?

Last night? epiglotittis in an adult (4th this year), septic 4 week old, 7 day old bradycardic and hypoxic. Otherwise, pretty quite. Previous shift: STEMI and FB in rectum. (not the same patient)

Twitch: I am a Fe-ttending. ;) I am an attending part time and a fellow fulltime, getting a masters, etc. :D

So I got a call from school today saying I was accepted to the prematriculation program. I guess that's a good thing? Perhaps they think I just need it after looking at my #'s :eek:

Say anyone used PODS to move down?

Roja: Your 3:28am posting worries me. :scared: How's call like for fe-tendings? Q4?

I'm an emergency physician. We don't take call. It would take me a week to find my pager. :)

I just got in to UTSA today!!
Help me help me!
Where do I live? I've been looking through the thread and I've seen Melegrano, Whispering Creek, Carlyle Place, and Promonty Pointe. Would these be a good place to start? Will it be hard to find a 1b 1br at this point? I'm thinking about driving down this weekend.
What else do I need to get in order? I already talked to someone about Insurance, Financial Aid, Immunizations, and transcripts. Is there anything else that needs to be taken care of? Parking? Special Equipment?
Any help is welcome! I'm so excited to be joining y'all!!!!!

Oh and also, I'm curious---
Do we have summer between 1st and 2nd year off?
I was headed to TCOM before this morning and they only get 3 weeks off!!

Oh and also, I'm curious---
Do we have summer between 1st and 2nd year off?
I was headed to TCOM before this morning and they only get 3 weeks off!!

Our last day is May 9th and our first day of second year is at the beginning of July. So it's a good amount of time!

Help me help me!
Where do I live? I've been looking through the thread and I've seen Melegrano, Whispering Creek, Carlyle Place, and Promonty Pointe. Would these be a good place to start? Will it be hard to find a 1b 1br at this point? I'm thinking about driving down this weekend.
What else do I need to get in order? I already talked to someone about Insurance, Financial Aid, Immunizations, and transcripts. Is there anything else that needs to be taken care of? Parking? Special Equipment?

San Antonio Station Apartments is a good place because it's so close to school and very affordable. About $550 for a 1-1.

www.sastation.com

You can refer me for a discount!

just called sa station--they got nothing for me :(

Any other advice?

just called sa station--they got nothing for me :(

Any other advice?
i lived in carlyle place my first year - there are a decent number of folks there and it's just up babcock from campus

regarding the garage A parking, i signed up for mine at orientation and got it just before spring break of first year

It was mentioned at orientation student discounts at local gyms. Could someone elaborate? What kind of discount and at what gyms? Thanks!!

gold's is right up the road - i think it's around $30 per month.

there's also a school gym that just opened a couple months ago. it's about 3 minutes away from campus. only complaints are that it's not open 24 hours and there are no free weights.

Does anyone know how "mandatory" anatomy lab is?

If I needed to blow out early one afternoon would that be a huge problem for me (or my partners)? Its just a one time deal to catch a flight to a wedding, but its hard to pull the trigger and buy the ticket without a little reassurance...

it shouldn't be that big of a deal as long as you get the info you need. typically you and a partner will alternate dissection days for your half of the body - if you miss your partner's day you'll be fine. if you miss your day you'll have to knock it out late sunday night just in case you get pimped that monday. either way, just run it by the anatomy folks and it should be cool.

Try fountainhead apartments. It's a good place and quiet. Several med students (including moi) live there.

Hey man - how'd step 1 go?

Lane did you have yours today as well?

Help me help me!

Congrats! :You are going to one of the best. :D

Lesson one: You are going to UTHSCSA (lovingly called U-tusk-a) not UTSA where they do not have a med school! ;)

Two: Learn to yell, loudly: "Go SPURS Go."

Three: You must attend NIOSA in the spring.

Four: Did I mention GO SPURS GO????????? :love:

So the line at parking wasn't too bad this morning. I got zone 4.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late notice- my roommate just got into another school via waitlist movement and now I'm looking for someone else!

I'm renting a 2br/2.5 bath townhome on Tourant, a few blocks from Wurzbach/Babcock intersection- rent is 455/month each.

Let me know if anyone's interested! I will be moving down this week and can show you around the place.

howdy,
got an e-mail today from class 2010...says they're putting together a cd with a bunch of helpful info for first years and calls the cd "a necessity". it's 50 dollars. what's the story on this?
THX:hardy:

howdy,
got an e-mail today from class 2010...says they're putting together a cd with a bunch of helpful info for first years and calls the cd "a necessity". it's 50 dollars. what's the story on this?
THX:hardy:

I think it's worth it. It's got old tests and such on it. Anyone planning on the banquet?

yo. Didja decide on a specialty homefries?? :)

And btw, the ECG course is kiiiiiiiiiiillling me.......
i'm gonna be a professional gas passer :D

yeah, don't sweat the EKG class...it sucks. buuuuuuuuut it can make for some fun evenings!

Howdy everyone, along with finally taking care of my tb test and such it seems only right that my next step should be to say hello as another member of the class of 2011. I've been checking this board over the past few weeks and am getting some pretty awesome advice on housing. Pretty sure it's a 1 br apt for me the first year, after living with four other guys off campus for two years I'm ready for a better, uh, studying environment. We'll see how that works out!

A few early posters were mentioning the possibility of getting a dog and that for some reason SA was a good school to have one?? Although I'm not completely sure what the schedule is like and all, it seems like I'd be boring the hell out of the canine roommate during the day if I were to come across one. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd really appreciate the help.

Anyway, just figured I'd say hi. Look forward to an outstanding few years with y'all in SA!

Anyone work out at spectrum over near Bandera / 1604? They seem to be a tad expensive.

Heh. You are the second person to recommend this book. I shall endeavour to take y'alls recommendation to heart. :D

How goes it?

Excellent. I am now board certified. :D And looking to see if UH will hire soon.

Hi guys. I had a random question, and I was wondering if yall could give some feedback. What cell phone company has decent coverage in SA? I'm only asking b/c i was in Atlanta for four years and I had tmobile, and I got reception nowhere. Now i'm wondering if I should renew the contract since it works fine here in Dallas. Any opinions? ThankS!

Hi guys. I had a random question, and I was wondering if yall could give some feedback. What cell phone company has decent coverage in SA? I'm only asking b/c i was in Atlanta for four years and I had tmobile, and I got reception nowhere. Now i'm wondering if I should renew the contract since it works fine here in Dallas. Any opinions? ThankS!

looks like we have a fellow emory alum ;)

i don't think it makes a huge difference - i've had verizon for years and haven't had any problems with them. i don't know if you're into getting the latest, sweetest phones or if you're just looking for simple talk coverage. if the former, you may want to go with cingular or stay with t-mobile. if the latter, it may not really matter at all.

Anyone work out at spectrum over near Bandera / 1604? They seem to be a tad expensive.
Wait until you get here and get your student i.d. Then you can join Gold's Gym (they have several quality facilities around the campus) for ~$21/month.