UT-Houston Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any word on Financial aid or Scholarships... I need money to move and to pay for my new place. I am afraid if I call and ask they will black book me or something. I am so impatient... I have had my fafsa filled out since Feb 10th.

Also, does anyone know what time welcome weekend ends on the 16th? I have a NIN concert to go to that evening... I feel your pain with DMB Diana. At first I was like, "darn that sucks for her, she won't be able to go to the concert". Now it has happened to me. Can we bring our own cars and duck out early or are we required to ride the bus?

Loans aren't distributed until just before classes (mine were given the beginning of August). I don't know anything about scholarships though. The grant I got (which is a pretty general one) doesn't even go out until september, so unfortunately, you probably won't get money until just before classes start.

Also, utlink is down. i don't know why, i just read the popup that said so :)

Members don't see this ad.

Any word on Financial aid or Scholarships... I need money to move and to pay for my new place. I am afraid if I call and ask they will black book me or something. I am so impatient... I have had my fafsa filled out since Feb 10th.

Also, does anyone know what time welcome weekend ends on the 16th? I have a NIN concert to go to that evening... I feel your pain with DMB Diana. At first I was like, "darn that sucks for her, she won't be able to go to the concert". Now it has happened to me. Can we bring our own cars and duck out early or are we required to ride the bus?

I'm sort of in the same situation regarding the finances. Though I plan on winning the lottery so it shouldn't be much of a problem. My back up plan is going to be putting everything on credit cards and then pay it off after the financial aid comes in. I'm pretty confident the lottery stuff will work out though...

I'm sort of in the same situation regarding the finances. Though I plan on winning the lottery so it shouldn't be much of a problem. My back up plan is going to be putting everything on credit cards and then pay it off after the financial aid comes in. I'm pretty confident the lottery stuff will work out though...

heheh

Winning the lottery was my backup plan for if I didn't get into medical school. It has been suggested that I should just go ahead and win it even though I'm in. You know, just in case something happens. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Aggiesarah. I guess I will be asking the folks for a loan (or the bank). I don't play the lottery so I am SOL there.

Haha, at least your concert is the 16th...I'm SOL for mine. :p

heheh

Winning the lottery was my backup plan for if I didn't get into medical school. It has been suggested that I should just go ahead and win it even though I'm in. You know, just in case something happens. :)

That's a very good point. I was actually planning on winning the lottery when I got out of high school, but I completely forgot about it until recently. Good thing I remembered before starting med school :p

Anyone get any finaid stuff yet? I'm a bit farther away so I'm guessing it will take longer to get to me. Wouldn't they have to get the stuff to us by the 15th, in case people are using the financial aspects to make a decision?

Anyone get any finaid stuff yet? I'm a bit farther away so I'm guessing it will take longer to get to me. Wouldn't they have to get the stuff to us by the 15th, in case people are using the financial aspects to make a decision?

I got mine last Friday, but I live in Houston. Now I have some big budgeting to do!

Question: do you get to budget yourself how much you want to spend on housing, for example? And then figure out your loan amount? Or does UTHouston put a finaid pkg together for you saying "here's how much you can pay on rent" etc etc? I'm worried because i want to buy a condo and am not sure how much my mortgage payments will be!

Question: do you get to budget yourself how much you want to spend on housing, for example? And then figure out your loan amount? Or does UTHouston put a finaid pkg together for you saying "here's how much you can pay on rent" etc etc? I'm worried because i want to buy a condo and am not sure how much my mortgage payments will be!

From what I understand, you get a cost of attendance that's figured out for you. Here is last years

http://sfs.uth.tmc.edu/fa_docs/living_expenses_budget_0708.html

I'm wondering if it will be adjusted though for us? Costs of living in addition to gas are up so if the coa isn't adjusted we may be in trouble...

I got my letter last week and we get $33,196 in loans for this year (for instate). I think that's about 1000 more than last year. I don't know how much of that increase goes towards tuition increases.

I live in H-town as well, but I didn't get my financial aid packet yet. Shot an email to an advisor, just in case I missed something. Hopefully I'll see it soon. :)

Also, don't forget that the budget is only for 9 months (it may be 10, i forget). so the 841 or whatever they have per month for rent has to be divided up over 12 months. So worst cast you really only have like 630/month over 12 months (but you can always cut back somewhere else).

Also, if you're buying, have a job :) Or someone cool to help you out. Our loans don't count as income.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got my financial aid packet, oos tution blows by the way :thumbdown:

Also, don't forget that the budget is only for 9 months (it may be 10, i forget). so the 841 or whatever they have per month for rent has to be divided up over 12 months. So worst cast you really only have like 630/month over 12 months (but you can always cut back somewhere else).

Also, if you're buying, have a job :) Or someone cool to help you out. Our loans don't count as income.

Oh my god I'm freaking out. I am about to sign a lease for $1295 a month (it is a really nice complex by the way, but yeah, i decided against buying, condos are going nowhere but depreciation, usa!).......I thought we could choose to fine tune our loans, this is crap.....:scared:

Oh my god I'm freaking out. I am about to sign a lease for $1295 a month (it is a really nice complex by the way, but yeah, i decided against buying, condos are going nowhere but depreciation, usa!).......I thought we could choose to fine tune our loans, this is crap.....:scared:

I thought it was probably like undergrad where you can't exceed your cost of attendance, not sure if private loans are affected by this. I suppose you could fine tune it in the regard that you can spend more on rent and say cut out something else...like electricity or food? I bet aggiesarah has a bit more info on the subject than I do.

I would DEFINITELY call financial aid first. The way I understand it, you can take up to the budgeted cost of attendance. And then you could take out private loans I guess, but I have no idea. I'd really be careful about taking such a lease on a place with such a high rent. I'm sure its quite nice, but you gotta think of everything you pay for as being at 6.8% for at least 10 years (most people consolidate and go to 15 to 30 years). But of course it is up to you.

But I've never heard of being able to fine tune the loan other than down.
And like DD said, just because the budget says 840 or whatever for rent, they just give you a bulk check and you can spend it however you want. So like I could cut out however much it was for phone (I just have a cell), and then I could apply that to my mortgage payment or whatever. But I'm not sure you can exceed your 32,000 in federal loans. (maybe you can get private. again, I have no idea.)

And also, is that for a one bedroom!?!?!? Because that is outta control! I know houston is expensive but dang! My friends 2 bedroom at Lanesborough (a nice place!) is increasing to that, and so he's moving! If they're gonna charge you that they better take your trash to the dumpster for you, and clean your place!

So I got my financial aid packet, oos tution blows by the way :thumbdown:

Is it any worse than instate tuition in other states? Will you get in state after a year?

The tuition at Houston (oos) is cheaper than one of my state schools, and about the same as the other. So its not the big a deal, plus I like Houston a lot more. I don't know if I'm going to ever be elligible for instate or not.

The tuition at Houston (oos) is cheaper than one of my state schools, and about the same as the other. So its not the big a deal, plus I like Houston a lot more. I don't know if I'm going to ever be elligible for instate or not.

You may be after a year. I applied to a couple out of state schools and they (MUSC) said I'd be elligible for instate after a year....that first year would have cost me 60 K though.

You can always take out more loans, they will just have to be private based.
http://www.finaid.org/loans/privatestudentloans.phtml

And for most banks it is called the Grad PLUS loan, just FYI. Looking briefly at all of this, Chase seems to have a good deal: you get the stafford loan at 5.8% and the PLUS at 8.10%.

I was looking at them the other day because that's where I have my car loan and I saw that deal. Did you find a catch, because I'm sure there's got to be one. Do you know of a website to compare lenders?

I'm pretty sure that even with private loans you can't exceed your COA. Though I guess the financial aid office might be able to fool with it.

I'm pretty sure that even with private loans you can't exceed your COA. Though I guess the financial aid office might be able to fool with it.

That's true. From what I've read so far, most will be COA minus federal aid, but there are also ones that will allow up to a certain amount like 40k. Granted, you probably want to stay clear of those if you can. ;)

I was looking at them the other day because that's where I have my car loan and I saw that deal. Did you find a catch, because I'm sure there's got to be one. Do you know of a website to compare lenders?

Dunno, haven't seen much of a catch yet. Most people on the financial aid board seem to think Chase has one of the best deals right now as well.

Haha, well I guess that makes me SOL diana as I'm over 40k already.

Haha, well I guess that makes me SOL diana as I'm over 40k already.

Oh, that was just ballpark...I saw some for nearly 70k. (unless i'm reading that wrong...entirely possible) I wouldn't worry yet, the monies have to come from somewhere, right?? :laugh: Wouldn't you get more money anyhow, since your OOS? Or is that still not enough?

Oh, that was just ballpark...I saw some for nearly 70k. (unless i'm reading that wrong...entirely possible) I wouldn't worry yet, the monies have to come from somewhere, right?? :laugh: Wouldn't you get more money anyhow, since your OOS? Or is that still not enough?

Well I get more 'monies' but that's because my tuition is more. I get around the same for living expenses. I think it should be enough, provided I don't go out every night and buy all the flashy things I usually do :rolleyes: There are rumors that oos students can pay instate tuition if they get $1,000 or more in scholarships, but I haven't heard anything regarding this since my interviews. I think it's just a ploy to lure naive students like me into paying more. They promised me a pony too, but I don't think I'm getting that either!

Well I get more 'monies' but that's because my tuition is more. I get around the same for living expenses. I think it should be enough, provided I don't go out every night and buy all the flashy things I usually do :rolleyes: There are rumors that oos students can pay instate tuition if they get $1,000 or more in scholarships, but I haven't heard anything regarding this since my interviews. I think it's just a ploy to lure naive students like me into paying more. They promised me a pony too, but I don't think I'm getting that either!

I know that is true for undergrad, though I have no idea for grad schools. It would be worth calling about :)

You can always take out more loans, they will just have to be private based.
http://www.finaid.org/loans/privatestudentloans.phtml

Check out the Grad PLUS loan. Looking briefly at all of this, Chase seems to have a good deal: you get the stafford loan at 5.8% and the PLUS at 8.10%.

Ooh, thanks for the tip. Might have to do this one. I had private loans in undergrad (paying them off right now...it's a bitch, can't wait to be enrolled so they can defer!) and I could fine-tune my loans according to my living needs. I had to do private because my parents income didn't qualify me for the stafford, or some crap like that. :cool: Anyway, I'll likely take out a small private loan to account for cost of living increases. Everywhere around the rail I've seen has been $1050+ for the same amount of square footage! It's crazy! :confused:

Yay, I got a grant! It's only 4k for the year, but every little bit helps right? :D

Yay, I got a grant! It's only 4k for the year, but every little bit helps right? :D

Good job :thumbup: Tell the money fairy to come give me a visit if you happen to see her again :)

So I know it's early to think about studying...but I wanted to drop this hint before people start buying laptops. :) If you get a Mac, there is an awesome flash card program that you can get called iFlash. I'm very much a flash card person and this looks great. What would be even better: Get several people together with the program to share flashcards with each other. Certainly would cut down on time! :D Unfortunately, it is only available on Mac currently so there's my 2 cents for buying a Mac (among other reasons of course!). Heh.

So I know it's early to think about studying...but I wanted to drop this hint before people start buying laptops. :) If you get a Mac, there is an awesome flash card program that you can get called iFlash. I'm very much a flash card person and this looks great. What would be even better: Get several people together with the program to share flashcards with each other. Certainly would cut down on time! :D Unfortunately, it is only available on Mac currently so there's my 2 cents for buying a Mac (among other reasons of course!). Heh.

I've never owned a mac, but people I know have said they like them...plus they are quite attractive, however that fact, along with the school more or less telling us not to get them, and the price has made me decide against them...but don't tell my ipod, I don't want it getting angry with me ;)

That looks like a really cool program. I greatly rely on flashcards but fear there won't be enough time to create them in med school. Does anyone know if any UT-H computer labs have macs?

That looks like a really cool program. I greatly rely on flashcards but fear there won't be enough time to create them in med school. Does anyone know if any UT-H computer labs have macs?
No, the computer labs only have Dell Desktops. But I see some students walking around with flashcards that they made so there must be enough time to make them.

No, the computer labs only have Dell Desktops. But I see some students walking around with flashcards that they made so there must be enough time to make them.

Just don't go to class. :p That should give you time to make some. I, for one, will be probably be a streaming person. :thumbup: I'm soo not an audio learner, I can't learn squat sitting in a lecture. Haha.

Just don't go to class. :p That should give you time to make some. I, for one, will be probably be a streaming person. :thumbup: I'm soo not an audio learner, I can't learn squat sitting in a lecture. Haha.

Speaking of lectures, I'm not sure I remember how exactly the stuff is structured. How much of the day is scheduled lectures?

Speaking of lectures, I'm not sure I remember how exactly the stuff is structured. How much of the day is scheduled lectures?
Fall semester: Lectures in the morning, labs in the afternoon. Not many people go to histology lab. I sure didn't and I did fine in the class. You also dissect in every other anatomy lab, which is nice.

Spring semester: Lectures in the morning, and there will occasionally be some lectures in the afternoon. You will have to go to neuro "lab" (you'll see why I put this in quotations when you're in neuro...) on Monday afternoons.

That's pretty much it.

If you want to see our actual schedules, check out this link:

http://med.uth.tmc.edu/administration/edu_programs/ep/schedules/

Financial aid... blah blah blah... on to the important stuff. When do we get our @uth email addresses? :)

Financial aid... blah blah blah... on to the important stuff. When do we get our @uth email addresses? :)

Already have mine. :p

(I work there.)

In August, you'll have a technology orientation day where you bring your laptops and have them configured to access the wireless network and programs loaded onto them. At that time you will get your email address.

In August, you'll have a technology orientation day where you bring your laptops and have them configured to access the wireless network and programs loaded onto them. At that time you will get your email address.
How am I supposed to get a laptop before then if they won't give me money until class starts. I have no $$$$$$$$! I can't move (no rent money), I can't get a computer, I can't even afford food right now. Anyone have any suggestions on how someone with less than stellar credit would go about covering the expenses of starting medical school without having to wait until the first day of class. HELP ME!

How am I supposed to get a laptop before then if they won't give me money until class starts. I have no $$$$$$$$! I can't move (no rent money), I can't get a computer, I can't even afford food right now. Anyone have any suggestions on how someone with less than stellar credit would go about covering the expenses of starting medical school without having to wait until the first day of class. HELP ME!
I am right there with you buddy! Maybe we are missing something...:mad:

I haven't received any financial aid information yet. Should I be concerned? I see that other people have received some in the mail...

I am right there with you buddy! Maybe we are missing something...:mad:

You don't have a single credit card? Maybe try applying for one, even if it's a high interest rate you'll be paying it off within a month or two once you get your dough so it won't matter. I'm broke as well, but saved up a bit from work and will get an advance on one of my credit cards to cover my moving expenses. Some banks may give out small loans as well, but that could be a credit issue. Call the finaid office, they have emergency loans. They have to be paid back rather quickly, but could be what you're looking for.

I haven't received any financial aid information yet. Should I be concerned? I see that other people have received some in the mail...

Weren't you accepted off of the waitlist? They may not have gotten to you yet. I'd call the finaid office to see if everything is ok.

hi all~ sorry, i'm posting in here, figured that this can be seen by more TMC students. $980/month 1140 sqft total, rent includes water, trash and cable.
http://houston.craigslist.org/apa/696403810.html
and welcome to med student life!!!! good luck with your 1st year!!!!

I wouldn't worry yet...they're behind as it is and you were accepted later. :)

Yeah the financial aid department can be slow. I'm going to be an MS2 and I still haven't received my financial aid packet (and I filled my FAFSA early). Last summer, I didn't receive mine until July! I ended up borrowing money from various relatives for expenses until I received my loan money. Then I had to pay them back. Since I was so poor, I had to wait until August to move to Houston because I couldn't afford paying rent over the summer.

If you go to the Financial Services page at the medical school website, they have some information about an "emergency loan" and they're available for tuition and living expenses. It's a short-term loan because it needs to be repaid within 90 days, but the interest rate isn't bad at all. If you're in extreme desperate need of money, I would look into that.

Also you do NOT need to have a laptop by the time school starts or for that technology orientation thing that I was talking about in a previous post. I know lots of people that didn't have a laptop by the time school started because they didn't have any money and it was okay. Once you get your laptop, you can take it to the help desk at the school to get the programs loaded onto it.

Awesome! Thanks for your help FrankShui. Is that your real name or a play on Feng Shui?