UT-Houston Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DianaUT06

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still in shock!!! Who's with me??? :D

Members don't see this ad.

I know you probably don't have any questions :) but if anyone else does, don't hesitate to ask!!! I'm excited for all of you!!!! (esp Diana!!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I know it's super early, but I am already thinking about housing. I figure I'll continue to live at home for now, since it will only save money. :) But I love how I have PLENTY of time to find a place + I can move whenever I'm ready since I work here (and that hour commute from home is a _____, well you know...) Can anyone (*cough* AggieSarah! ;)) give me an idea of where most students live? I can't use university housing, unfortunately, as I have a kitty...so I need to look elsewhere! Much thanks in advance. :D

I live in the Lanesborough...and I'd say most of our class lives here. Right next to the rail, not too expensive...it's nice. Also check out the Greenbriar.

Congratulations, that was a great feeling last year.

So I know it's super early, but I am already thinking about housing. I figure I'll continue to live at home for now, since it will only save money. :) But I love how I have PLENTY of time to find a place + I can move whenever I'm ready since I work here (and that hour commute from home is a _____, well you know...) Can anyone (*cough* AggieSarah! ;)) give me an idea of where most students live? I can't use university housing, unfortunately, as I have a kitty...so I need to look elsewhere! Much thanks in advance. :D

yeah most people live on the rail or near the FREE shuttle :)

I bought a condo that is right near university housing, and I'm kind of partial to them since they are a lot cheaper than some of the apartments on the rail (unless you get a roommate, then stuff is affordable, but to me $800+ for rent is crazy). check out har.com for some of the residential lease options. If you want to know about the complex just ask and I'll tell you what I know :) Also I really liked my realtor, so if you want her name just let me know too. She's quite chatty, but works really hard. (if only you knew what I had to go through to get this condo!)

I'm also partial to the free shuttle because METRO is no longer going to be giving us the uber cheap U-card (or whatever they call it, the discount. it is like a buck a week right now.) the bus or rail is $1 each way otherwise.

I do know people who drive in from further out (just outside the loop, pearland, whatever) and then park by the student housing to ride the shuttle.

but popular apartments are lanesborough and greenbriar, another one I know is alta lofts but it is a bit expensive. Many apartments have their own shuttles too.

That was crazy long. If you have specific questions just let me know :)

Do either of you remember about when you received your info packet in the mail? Just so I can be on the lookout. :D

And thanks for the info on housing, so much to think about! ;)

Do either of you remember about when you received your info packet in the mail? Just so I can be on the lookout. :D

I think I remember we got a tiny letter thing saying we were accepted but no gratifying super thick packet with all kinds of goodness until after match

my question is that i had an interview Nov. 2nd. but did not recieve an acceptance letter yet... i was wondering maybe they had not gotten to send out acceptance letters for the Nov. 2nd date .. thinking that they send out letters according to date interviewd.. so is that true.. or have ppl heard back from am if they interviewd after nov. 2nd...

also.. is there anything you can suggest i should do to better my chances for an acceptance letter.. maybe send a LOI or thank you card to dr. kellaway ... any suggestions that might help to get some sort of update or acceptance.. :)

Thanks

First off, congratulations to all of you!! and heck yeah Diana!!!!

As per Dr. Kellaway and Tiffany Reyes, I believe the entire acceptance packet is going to be online this year; to be released on a website the day of the Match...with your WELCOME WEEKEND (loosely save the date for the last weekend in march)info and other fun things...

Yayayayayayayayayayayayayayayaya

I'm So Happyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I Love Dr. Kellaway And I Love Ut Houstonnnnnn

you know how come everything i type in all caps this strange forum turns to lowercase?

i don't like the lack of emphasis

Members don't see this ad :)
omgomgomg me too! i'd love to live at student housing but i cannot BEAR to part with my darling kitty

any housing suggestions would be great. i have a goooood friend (dental student) who lives at cambridge... courts? something like that? right across from student apts. i'm thinking of buying a condo there. like you aggiesarah? i've heard buying is more economical in the long run... my parents wouldn't mind making the real estate "investment" either.

wouldn't mind being on the rail but most of those (like lanesborough) are rent not buy right? but my friend just takes the free ut bus to class which is nice nice nice

sooooooooooooo happeeeeeeeeeeeeee

omgomgomg me too! i'd love to live at student housing but i cannot BEAR to part with my darling kitty

any housing suggestions would be great. i have a goooood friend (dental student) who lives at cambridge... courts? something like that? right across from student apts. i'm thinking of buying a condo there. like you aggiesarah? i've heard buying is more economical in the long run... my parents wouldn't mind making the real estate "investment" either.

wouldn't mind being on the rail but most of those (like lanesborough) are rent not buy right? but my friend just takes the free ut bus to class which is nice nice nice

Congrats again!!

You should look at www.har.com. The zip code you would be interested in is 77054. Also, check out these links for info on the UT Shuttle:

http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/parking/shuttle_route.htm
http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/parking/ae_sschedule.htm

I did hear from the VP of Auxilliary Enterprises though that the route/schedule will change in Feb, but all the housing areas and the med school will of course be covered.

The Metro bus that goes through the area:

http://www.ridemetro.org/pdf/routes/087-sunny.pdf

And of course the train:

http://www.ridemetro.org/pdf/routes/700-redline.pdf

Good luck with all your planning. Many of my friends have condos at Cambridge Court and Montreal Place (I think that is what it's called) on El Paseo near the intersection of Almeda, but co-workers live in condos mainly on Cambridge Ave. and Holly Hall.

I bought my condo and I love it :) If any of you want to see if feel free to stop by. But please wait until 2008 because it will be a total wreck until after finals, and then I'll be going home :) But after that you are more than welcome to come by and check it out. For me, I KNEW I will be here at LEAST 4 years, maybe more, and I knew I didn't want a roommate. The prices to buy were reasonable, and with the new Baylor hospital being built literally up the road, I'm sure there will be LOTS of employees who would like to be that close to work :)

and as for living near the rail, it is very convenient, but it will no longer be as cheap as it was because Metro is doing away with the U-pass in December. Then its $1 each way, unless you are so bold as to *gasp* not pay and take your chances with the metro po-po

Congrats Diana!

Hey aggiesarah! How are things down south?

Man oh man, sometimes, the regret gets to me and I can't even think, I wonder what it would have been like at Houston...

hey guys,

since you guys have already decided on Houston, i was wondering if you could help me resolve a tiny dilemma. basically, i'm trying to decide between putting Southwestern and UTHSC-Houston as my top match choice in feb.

details here -->
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5973119#post5973119

if you guys have some time, could you give me some input?

thanks, and congrats on the early acceptance :D!

Congrats Diana!

Man oh man, sometimes, the regret gets to me and I can't even think, I wonder what it would have been like at Houston...

Thanks, eternal! :D Long time no see, how is it up north?

Congrats Diana!

it would have been a rockin' good time :D jk :) don't regret it! if you start feeling the regret again, pm me and I'll tell you all about these last 2.5 weeks of tests. nothing but tests, and grading those tests. :) How is life up there in the FREEEEEZZZIIINNNNGGGGG cold? Its pretty darn cold down here I think. I even drove to school for my test because I wasn't gonna wait outside for the shuttle.

(all you 2012ers please don't be scared! I LOVE medical school!):love:

I bought my condo and I love it :) If any of you want to see if feel free to stop by. But please wait until 2008 because it will be a total wreck until after finals, and then I'll be going home :) But after that you are more than welcome to come by and check it out. For me, I KNEW I will be here at LEAST 4 years, maybe more, and I knew I didn't want a roommate. The prices to buy were reasonable, and with the new Baylor hospital being built literally up the road, I'm sure there will be LOTS of employees who would like to be that close to work :)

and as for living near the rail, it is very convenient, but it will no longer be as cheap as it was because Metro is doing away with the U-pass in December. Then its $1 each way, unless you are so bold as to *gasp* not pay and take your chances with the metro po-po

oooh i might just take you up on that offer, if you don't mind =) can you tell me where (which apartment complex) you live? i think in the next couple of weeks i'll be going around the area and looking at the various apartments. also as far as timing goes, when did you start filling in applications and when did you start the lease? how long do the places down there typically hold apartments for you?

thanks very much! tests are almost over right?? i'm so happy to be done with undergraduate classes foreverrrrr

oooh i might just take you up on that offer, if you don't mind =) can you tell me where (which apartment complex) you live? i think in the next couple of weeks i'll be going around the area and looking at the various apartments. also as far as timing goes, when did you start filling in applications and when did you start the lease? how long do the places down there typically hold apartments for you?

thanks very much! tests are almost over right?? i'm so happy to be done with undergraduate classes foreverrrrr

I'll pm you the name of the condo complex. I'll also try to remember the names of the god ones that are close to the UT housing.

I have no idea about apartments since I bought, but I moved in mid-july so that I would have time to do all the things that I wanted to do to my place. I know some people who moved in in August, and some who moved in the weekend before classes started.

There really are tons of apartments down there so try to have an idea of where you want to be (rail or ut housing or whatever). If you're brave you can get a realtor to help you (it is free to you. wherever you sign a lease pays them for brining the leaser and the leasee together).

And you can rent condos in all the complexes. That is what a friend of mine thinks she is going to do. I also know of two other classmates that are renting a place in my condo complex.

So, I was checking out the Baylor thread (no worries kids, they don't want me and I don't want them :p) for info on housing and the like...and Riverie wrote this great post that included a bunch of stuff on housing, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. I've edited out the Baylor only junk and repasted the
what-we-UT-kids-just-need-to-know-cause-we're-like-cooler stuff. :D (jk Baylor kids, we still <3 you...) EDIT: Oh, and I removed the rent $ listed because I realized this was a fairly older post from previous years.

HOUSING (some of the rent info will undoubtedly be outdated, but the comments on the apts are generally sound
Use Apartment Locators. They will take you around for free to as many apartments that you want in their own car (so you do not spend the day getting lost).

San Melia:
Include transportation options from your location
Bus: 87, nearest bus stop about a 5-7 min. walk (depending on how fast you walk)
Apt. Shuttle: tokens are $0.50 each way, passes once every hour
Overall recommend or avoid: Rate from 5 (best) to 1 (worst)
4: PROS: very nice, pretty new apt.'s, nice office staff, beautiful pool/exercise facility
CONS: walk to/from bus seems long on hot or rainy days

Lanesborough:

Next year two of us are getting a two bedroom there for about 1100.
Light Rail, AMAZING! (Railpass free provided by Baylor), walk (25 min), bike (10 min)
3-4, the annoyances (bugs, things breaking, mean ladies at the office) are worth the easy access to school, great amenities and location, convenience

Camden Vanderbilt: on Buffalo Speedway
I think they had a discount of $150 off, but it was for everyone, not just med students. It's a really nice place and the management is wonderful. You put in a request and it gets done that afternoon or next morning.
Metro bus to the metro rail, or the metro bus all the way
5 &#8211; I really like living here, but transportation is kind of annoying though&#8230;I'd prefer to just take the rail instead of the bus, but it's okay. I get to school in 30 min. Only about 4-5 people from our current class live here.

Cambridge Court :at 8055 Cambridge
I rent a two bedroom condo
Bus #87 just outside the complex, close enough to bike (10-15 mins) or walk (45 mins).

AMLI apartments:
It is a well kept, nice apartment complex. Bus stop about 10 minutes away. Biking to the med center takes about 15 minutes (my preferred method).
I would rate it a 4. It is a really nice apartment that is not too expensive. The only problem is that the bus stop is not right outside the complex.

Parque Del Oro:
Shuttle, Bus (but you have to walk a little ways to it)
3, not the most convenient place but the floor plan is really nice if you have a roommate. It's a very generous split plan, but I'm unsure how much the price will go up in the 2nd year. It's a very small complex, and the management is good. Neighbors can get a little loud because most of them go to UH or Rice with some med students, PA students, graduate students, and other people interspersed in between.

Archstone med center:
Light rail is superconvenient
i love archstone medical center (i heard the other archstones weren't so great), they fix things fast and are very professional. very clean and new. i feel safe and completely at home. no problems at all, Rate it a 5

Versailles Park:
Transportation: 87 bus is around the corner, 5 minute walk to bus stop
Drive and park near Rice along residential street and walk in, takes 30 minutes total
Rate 4: nice grounds w/ palm trees, excellent price w/ 2 mos free, it seems that in the past 2 mos the people moving in have been questionable

I wouldn't recommend the Esplanade&#8230;.I've lived there for a year and won't live there next year&#8230;.they have not been very customer-friendly and are constantly struggling with crime

**Home: Pearland, Community: Parks at Walnut Bend
$142,000 for brand new home, about 2100 SF, mortgage payments about $1400/mo
Commute: about 50-55 min. total time to drive to Fannin South Park & Ride ($2/day, $35/mo), take metrorail (free for students) and walk to class
Rate 4/5: PROS: great investment, very good for kids (nice community, good school district and schools), much lower crime rate
CONS: commute, probably more expensive per month than renting in Houston (but you are owning it not renting it)

A very spacious 2/1 for 1050 a month (split b/w 2 people), it is a duplex less than a mile from campus located in a quiet, safe neighborhood. It takes me less than 15 minutes to walk to school in the morning. The bike ride would probably be around 5 minutes.

Continued from Riverie's post:

RESTAURANTS
-Café Adobe- 3 dollar margaritas on Mondays,
-Angelica- Cheap Date Night- 5 dollar movie/popcorn/drink- also on Mondays
-Amazon Grill
-Collina’s
-Chocolate Bar
-Two Rows: dollar pint night
-Free brewery tour with samples at saint arnold’s every Saturday.
-Ming’s located at Montrose and Westheimer, best Chinese in town.
-Baba Yega -- healthy yummy food $8-12,
-Chinatown (go to bellaire st., and pick any restaurant you want, explore)
-Istanbul Grill -- the best Turkish/Mediteranean food ever for $6-15
-Empire Café, plates go for $10-$15, they serve a variety of sandwiches, chicken plates, pizzas, a variety of coffee drinks, and awesome slices of cake
-The Red Onion (on Kirby) – great place to take the parents, delicious Central American cuisine and fabulous margaritas! $15-24
-Sushi Rock – $6-8 for lunch special, Thai/Japanese
-Niko Niko's – $7-10, Greek
-Fadi's Mediterranean Grill – $8-10, Mediterranean
-Sinh Sinh – $7-10 a dish, Chinese/Vietnamese
-Mayuri - $10 Lunch buffet, Indian
-BW3/Buffalo Wild Wings – 35 cent wings on Tuesday and 50 cent legs
-Cheesecake Factory – $10-17, Galleria area, good portions compared to other upscale places
-Eatzi's – $5-10, healthy food, not really a restaurant though
-Hungry's in the Village – $8-13, Mediterranean
-La Tapatia on Richmond and Hazard-ish – Open late night, $3-10, Mexican food
-Chacho's – $3-10, open late nights
-Pei Wei: $10 a plate
http://www.myconsumerguide.com/entertainment_guide.htm

COFFEE SHOPS/ STUDY
-Diedrich’s coffee
-Crossroads – coffee
-Salentos
-Café Brazil
-House of Pies on Kirby
-Taft Street Coffee – only coffee and a few pastries, but a great study spot! $2-5.
-Teahouse on Shepherd - $3 a drink, Tapioca

Great info! Good job, Diana...

I keep posting here even though I've not been accepted to UTH (yet, hopefully), so I'll quit!

The student housing waitlist begins on the 17th (im 90% sure thats the date). Some people will be camping out to get on the list.

Even though I'm a Baylor kid, this information is a goldmine. THANK YOU. If any of the Baylor kids in my class give you trouble, I'll give 'em what's coming to 'em. :p

Deleting post by request. ;)

The student housing waitlist begins on the 17th (im 90% sure thats the date). Some people will be camping out to get on the list.

Because I like you guys, I'm going to tell you stuff people I know who got or wanted to get into housing figured out. Hopefully it will make sense.

if you REALLY want school housing, CAMP OUT!

I mailed my stuff in a couple weeks after the first sign up and got called beginning of august to move in who knows when (I already bought my condo). I had a friend who camped out and was able to move in the DAY school started.

So the way the list works is.......
You are ranked first come first served, as well as by the date you request to move in! So say you are number 10 in line, but you want to move in in june, and people 1-9 want to move in july, number 10 will get called first (if there is one available for june). if there aren't any openings in june, I believe 1-9 will get called before 10, but I'm not totally sure. It would be worth calling about.

And getting new housing is harder. Also, if you know anyone already in housing, I think you can set up to transfer or get right onto their lease once their's is done. which will guarantee you a spot.

And, you can check out har.com and search for residential leases and you can find condos (zip 77054) and they aren't outrageous rent prices, and you can walk to the shuttle!

Shuttle routes are here, and shuttles are getting ready to change, but the stops around housing will be the same, and there are also stops at the corner of El Paseo and Cambridge, as well as corner of El Paseo and Knight. Those aren't listed as official stops, but they might as well be :) I SWEAR you'll get picked up if you stand there.

Hope this all helps!

oooooo girl what did you say!!?!?! ;)

Haha, nothing really. ;) He/she just didn't want to be found out regarding the pet in housing. ;)

And, BUMPING because tomorrow is Match and I want more classmates!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

SOOO excited to meet classmates!!

sorry i didn't post sooner!!!!!!!!!!!! I"M INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have never been this happy, ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i am sooooo excited to meet everyone! HOOOOOOOOOOOOORayyyyyy!!!!!

congrats new members!

perusing this thread tonight i have been thinking...

so diana - you said that perhaps your deleted post perhaps pertained to someone who perhaps had a pet in ut housing?

perhaps?

i applied for housing, and... i'm not saying i'm going to bring my cat or anything....

but if i did...

would it be THAT difficult.... to keep him there???

all hypothetical.
of course.

congrats new members!

perusing this thread tonight i have been thinking...

so diana - you said that perhaps your deleted post perhaps pertained to someone who perhaps had a pet in ut housing?

perhaps?

i applied for housing, and... i'm not saying i'm going to bring my cat or anything....

but if i did...

would it be THAT difficult.... to keep him there???

all hypothetical.
of course.

i may or may not know a person who may or may not have a cat.
and she may or may not living in housing.
and I may or may not have heard that it is assumed more people have cats because there may or may not be cats that wander around the complex.

but should you bring or not bring a cat, as long as no maintenance people come in, they can't see your real or imaginary cat.

i may or may not know a person who may or may not have a cat.
and she may or may not living in housing.
and I may or may not have heard that it is assumed more people have cats because there may or may not be cats that wander around the complex.

but should you bring or not bring a cat, as long as no maintenance people come in, they can't see your real or imaginary cat.

:laugh: Nice! This pretty much sums it up: you can try, but if you get caught you'll have to A) remove the pet (like that's gonna happen) or B) move. I didn't want to take my chances, my kitty is a bit social...he'd probably either get out or someone would hear him crying for food. ;)

And CONGRATS to everyone!!! I seriously cannot wait to meet y'all!!! :D

Wow.......You guys wouldn't believe how cool I feel posting in a class thread!!!

Can't wait to meet all of you!!!

I'm in too. First choice. I'm pretty surprised I matched considering how many people they interviewed. Now all I have to do is suffer through working for the man for another 6 months.

Hey Guys! Wow, what a road it's been!

Well, I guess now I gotta find some information about housing!

i still can't believe i am in! wow, now i need to figure out the housing situation. i am really wishing i had paid better attention at the interviews.....so was the waitlist on the 17th y'all were talking about the 17th of feb? people camp out just for a waitlist??? man, the entire time i was at GSBS, i commutted from katy and THAT IS NOT HAPPENING again! traffic is way too bad! any apt. suggestions? where are y'all planning on living if n-campus housing doesn't pan out?

oh! i just checked my e-mail! got a note from dr. k! reminded me that i need to pay off that speeding ticket so i don't get a warrant for my arrest and fail the background check:oops:! haha, in my defense, i was driving to an interview when i got it! ok that's not really a defense! i was stupid and forgot to pay it! i need to go to bed now, but i am still so keyed up and excited about UTH!!!

Hey Yall,

Just wanted to check in, I matched to UT Houston (my first choice because its awesome) last night.

Congrats to everyone in the Class of 2012

i still can't believe i am in! wow, now i need to figure out the housing situation. i am really wishing i had paid better attention at the interviews.....so was the waitlist on the 17th y'all were talking about the 17th of feb? people camp out just for a waitlist??? man, the entire time i was at GSBS, i commutted from katy and THAT IS NOT HAPPENING again! traffic is way too bad! any apt. suggestions? where are y'all planning on living if n-campus housing doesn't pan out?

First off, congrats again to all of you!!! :D

Psychedoc, it was the 17th of January. So if you want to still get on the list, do it ASAP. I'm not sure if you would be able to get into new housing though. Oh, and that speeding ticket thing is hilarious!! :lol:

I'm in too. First choice. I'm pretty surprised I matched considering how many people they interviewed. Now all I have to do is suffer through working for the man for another 6 months.

Totally understand. ;) I'm working as well...man, I'm getting bored fast. Is it August, yet?!?! I can't believe I just said that...:laugh:

Totally understand. ;) I'm working as well...man, I'm getting bored fast. Is it August, yet?!?! I can't believe I just said that...:laugh:

We're having layoffs in the next few months, so I'm hoping I can get a voluntary layoff with some severence pay this summer:)

We're having layoffs in the next few months, so I'm hoping I can get a voluntary layoff with some severence pay this summer:)

:laugh: That would be nice! :thumbup:

I'm a first year. Message me with any questions you may have. Y'all are gonna love it here. :thumbup: