UT College of Pharmacy 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i dont think i did too well. I've had other interviews where i've been able to have pretty good conversations with my interviewers, but this time it was more straight up them asking questions and me responding without any real good back and forth happening. to me it seemed like they didnt have any interest in what i was saying.

Don't worry--my interview was exactly the same, and I freaked out because everyone else seemed to have chatty, friendly people. Every interviewer is different. Some of them prefer to just cut to the chase and forget the chit-chat. You probably did fine!:)

Members don't see this ad.

ouch. But it must be do-able since everyone else gets through it all.

It's do-able but you have to work hard- several students failed a class or two my P1 year. It happens.

I thought P1 year required a lot of time and effort and the material wasn't as interesting. I thought P2 year was more difficult but more relevant to pharmacy career. I think that's what made it harder- I was more focused on making the information stick long-term.

Does anyone know how many out-of-state students receive an interview invite?

I don't know how many, but I have seen several out off state students at interviews. It seems like not too many out of state students end up going to UT though. My guess is that it's because out of state tuition at UT is ridiculously high.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is GPA weighed heavily in the admission process? Mine is not that high so I was wondering if I have a chance for an interview.

I think GPA is pretty important, but I'm sure they look at the entire application. If it helps any, I'm pretty sure they look at your GPA on your pre-reqs. My cumulative was like 2.6 or something but my pre-req was 3.8 I think. I got in. It was a few years ago though.

It's do-able but you have to work hard- several students failed a class or two my P1 year. It happens.

I thought P1 year required a lot of time and effort and the material wasn't as interesting. I thought P2 year was more difficult but more relevant to pharmacy career. I think that's what made it harder- I was more focused on making the information stick long-term.

This is similar to what a friend of mine tells me that attends another pharmacy school, and similar to medical school as well. Is the schedule of the P2 year about the same as P1, as far as time on campus and in class?

There any way you can break down your P1 and P2 schedule so we can kind of see what a typical day or week looks like?

This is similar to what a friend of mine tells me that attends another pharmacy school, and similar to medical school as well. Is the schedule of the P2 year about the same as P1, as far as time on campus and in class?

There any way you can break down your P1 and P2 schedule so we can kind of see what a typical day or week looks like?

It will be different for the next class, because the curriculum is changing. You can click http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/courses/syllabireq.html for the current curriculum syllabi. Class times should be noted on the syllabi as well. The new curriculum that takes effect this Fall is not yet posted.

Last edited:
So here is a question that might bake your noodle. Assuming you get an interview and it goes well, how do they decide who to pick? Do they say oh, he had a great interview give him 25 out of 25 points and rank you along with your GPA and other stats or is it based predominantly on the interview itself at that point? I don't think they stated how they choose between the candidates... at least not that I can remember. Any ideas?

i can't wait till the 17th i want to see if i got an interview its agony :scared: i wish i would of turned in my app sooner grrr...

me too!!!

did you apply to texas tech as well I have an interview for tech on the 20th but i really want to see if i get any action from Austin I don't want all my hopes in one basket lol come on feb 17th. This sucks because i am so distracted by all this its hard to keep on task with the classes i am taking.

did you apply to texas tech as well I have an interview for tech on the 20th but i really want to see if i get any action from Austin I don't want all my hopes in one basket lol come on feb 17th. This sucks because i am so distracted by all this its hard to keep on task with the classes i am taking.

I know! All this waiting is making me anxious. I submitted my UT app on the deadline, so I'm praying the adcom will get to me and give me a chance at an interview.

Congrats on landing an interview with Texas Tech! :thumbup: When did you submit your application? I'm still working on mine but I'll try to get it in by 2/15 (but still too late for early decision sighs...).

Besides those two schools, I'm applying to A&M and UH. How about you? :) Good luck to both of us!!

I know! All this waiting is making me anxious. I submitted my UT app on the deadline, so I'm praying the adcom will get to me and give me a chance at an interview.

Congrats on landing an interview with Texas Tech! :thumbup: When did you submit your application? I'm still working on mine but I'll try to get it in by 2/15 (but still too late for early decision sighs...).

Besides those two schools, I'm applying to A&M and UH. How about you? :) Good luck to both of us!!

I submitted my tech one on jan 6th at like 5pm and mailed most of my transcripts that day too :( procrastination sucks!!!! I am worried that austin won't even look at me since i sent my app so late and then my last transcript got to them on 1/30 oh i am applying to Oklahoma southwestern there app fee was only 15 bucks and its not to far from dallas so i am like why not. They do everything by paper so based on the 2008 threads i wouldn't even get invite until april

I submitted my tech one on jan 6th at like 5pm and mailed most of my transcripts that day too :( procrastination sucks!!!! I am worried that austin won't even look at me since i sent my app so late and then my last transcript got to them on 1/30 oh i am applying to Oklahoma southwestern there app fee was only 15 bucks and its not to far from dallas so i am like why not. They do everything by paper so based on the 2008 threads i wouldn't even get invite until april

Don't worry--if you had everything in by the deadline (which you did), the admissions committee will definitely look at your appplication.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Congratulations on getting a great opportunity to interview with UT Austin. First, I learned about their mission of pharmacy, how they started the pharmacy, and history whatnot. I also got familiar with some papers the UT faculty has written so I could ask them some questions about them. They'll be impressed with the presence of your interest in the school. Also, before you answer any question they ask you, think communications... how to solve the problem, what would you do? you go back to source of the problem... etc.. All in all, communication is the key.

Good luck on your interviews!

P.s. Anyone interested in living with a future P2 next year, just pm me. I live in north campus which is 5 minutes away from the pharmacy school.

So I have a question for those smarter than myself with regards to adcoms deciding applicants. I got an interview invite for UT today and I am ecstatic about it! However, UT is in the top 5 or so schools across the US and I get an interview there while I have heard nothing from Houston or Tech. It just seems odd that UT, a school with higher entrance stats, would want to see me and the other two, both with lower requirements and have sent out the first round of invites, haven't shown an interest. So, what gives? Feel free to offer your thoughts.

Edit: (Insert poor assumption here) Edited for inaccuracy.

It is not all about grades. We want our pharmacists to have great personalities. Think about it. Who do they want? Caring people.

It's been a while since anyone has posted anything on this thread. I have a question that I have been thinking about for awhile. I'm not sure how to go about asking it, so I apologize if I get a little long-winded.

For any current students, do you feel that UT focuses their curriculum or program towards a certain area of pharmacy more than others (i.e. retail, clinical, research, industry, etc.) I know they have speakers and representatives come through and talk to the students about the various fields, but are there certain areas UT is better at in producing? Do you feel that they educate you and train you well enough for any clinical field or specialty, and do you have the opportunities to rotate through large popualtions like Houston or Dallas? Did anyone pick UT over other schools because of the opportunities and because UT is that reputable, or is it everyone just likes being a Longhorn? Any insight into anything I'm asking is appreciated!

Other students from other schools feel free to chime in if you chose someone over UT as well! These are just some options I'm trying to weigh out in my head, and I think it's important in choosing a school.

It's been a while since anyone has posted anything on this thread. I have a question that I have been thinking about for awhile. I'm not sure how to go about asking it, so I apologize if I get a little long-winded.

For any current students, do you feel that UT focuses their curriculum or program towards a certain area of pharmacy more than others (i.e. retail, clinical, research, industry, etc.) I know they have speakers and representatives come through and talk to the students about the various fields, but are there certain areas UT is better at in producing? Do you feel that they educate you and train you well enough for any clinical field or specialty, and do you have the opportunities to rotate through large popualtions like Houston or Dallas? Did anyone pick UT over other schools because of the opportunities and because UT is that reputable, or is it everyone just likes being a Longhorn? Any insight into anything I'm asking is appreciated!

Other students from other schools feel free to chime in if you chose someone over UT as well! These are just some options I'm trying to weigh out in my head, and I think it's important in choosing a school.

I think that as a whole, most people at UT end up going into community pharmacy. There are numerous reasons for that (money, job outlook, want to pay off debts, etc.), but I don't think that UT tries to target people towards that. I'm a P1, and so far, I think they really encourage us to look beyond what most people think pharmacy is (community pharmacy). I definitely think they have a clinical approach in the sense that they want us to think carefully through drug therapies and be able to come up with therapies on our own, but I don't think that necessarily means that they're trying to push us towards clinical.

I'm only a P1, so maybe a P2 who's further along than me has some more insight, since that's when you get into the pharmacotherapeutics courses...but so far, I don't think there's a bias towards any kind of pharmacy.

Hope this helps!

And to answer you other question about rotations--yes, you do get opportunities to rotate through Dallas, San Antonio, Austin/Temple/Waco, Houston/Galveston, Rio Grand Valley, or El Paso. You will be assigned to one of these regions your senior year for your rotations.

hi guyz, I am a new member here, I have a question for current UT students. What is the format for their exams. Is it multiple choice like the NAPLEX or is it a mixture of MC and Free response. I was having an argument with a friend and she claims that it is all MC. I just wanted to be sure.

it really depends on the classes and the instructors...there are classes with all questions in MC format, for example Anatomy & Physiology, but there are classes where you also have to write short answers, draw mechanisms and other things like Med Chem, Biochem, etc.

hi guyz, I am a new member here, I have a question for current UT students. What is the format for their exams. Is it multiple choice like the NAPLEX or is it a mixture of MC and Free response. I was having an argument with a friend and she claims that it is all MC. I just wanted to be sure.

It depends on the course. Biochemistry is a mix of short answer/essay and multiple choice, while Pchem is calculations with some multiple choice and short answer thrown in. Pharmaceutics lecture is all multiple choice and T/F. All pharmacotherapy exams are multiple choice.

In my opinion, UT prepares its students to go into any area of pharmacy they desire, whether it is academic basic science research, industry, retail, clinical, hospital, compounding, etc.

One thing I would say though is that I think UT lacks a wide variety of electives. We do have some very good choices, but there isn't anything for nuclear pharmacy, industry, or advanced compounding or medicinal chemistry for instance. Those would have been interesting to me. There is a very good elective in advanced anti-microbials.

And just to clarify what a previous poster said, the El Paso and Rio Grande Valley are reserved for Coop and PanAm students, respectively.

And just to clarify what a previous poster said, the El Paso and Rio Grande Valley are reserved for Coop and PanAm students, respectively.

Sorry I forgot to say that!:)

So a little bird told me that UT is sending out a few acceptances from their first interview round today (Monday the 16th) before they send out new interview invites the 17th. Is that true? if so, goodluck everyone I am nervous ahhhhhh :scared:
If someone gets an acceptance let us know or me hehe thanks!

So a little bird told me that UT is sending out a few acceptances from their first interview round today (Monday the 16th) before they send out new interview invites the 17th. Is that true? if so, goodluck everyone I am nervous ahhhhhh :scared:

My stomach just just did a backflip and a twist. I will hurt somebody if you are messing with us :D

Yup, it's true. :) Denial letters should be out Wednesday, and I'm assuming defers as well.

Good luck!:luck:

Yup, it's true. :) Denial letters should be out Wednesday, and I'm assuming defers as well.

Good luck!:luck:

those are the two most evil words in the English language right now.

So acceptances are sent out by e-mail? And do they do everything in the afternoon like when they sent interview invites? I hate torturing myself looking at my e-mail every 15 minutes.

If you weren't accepted now and you were part of the first batch of interviewers, could you possibly still have a chance of being accepted later?

Congratulations, Texas PharmDoc! And good luck to everyone else. :D

AHH! I'm in, too!! University of Texas COP!!

My stats were 3.9 GPA, 94% PCAT.

WOW, Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D:D :D:D:D I hope the rest of us are that lucky. So can u spill you stats?

Thank you! I do hope everyone here gets lucky and you are all my classmates!

3.74 gpa and 96 pcat

If you weren't accepted now and you were part of the first batch of interviewers, could you possibly still have a chance of being accepted later?

Yes,even if you don't hear anything today you are still in a good spot to be accepted later. Thats the good think about interviewing first, you will be reviewed in every round of interview invites and acceptances.

does anyone know if they mass emailed all the acceptances at once or if they're sending them throughout the day?

Yes,even if you don't hear anything today you are still in a good spot to be accepted later. That's the good think about interviewing first, you will be reviewed in every round of interview invites and acceptances.
Ahhh, OK! Note to self: Apply early. :cool:

Congratulations to you too, savvystudent! :D

Yay! My brother just got accepted to UT! Now he doesn't have to move :soexcited:!

You're still in the running--it just means one of two things: 1) They want to compare you to other applicants or 2) They didn't get to your application at the meeting.

You're still in the running--it just means one of two things: 1) They want to compare you to other applicants or 2) They didn't get to your application at the meeting.

Do you know the next day they'll be sending out acceptances?

does anyone know if they mass emailed all the acceptances at once or if they're sending them throughout the day?

They definitely send them out throughout the day. It can take 2 days if they start later on in the day. I received mine a day later than some others.

Also keep in mind that if you aren't accepted right off the bat this round and are deferred, it doesn't mean you aren't a good candidate. ALL IT MEANS is that they didn't get a chance to reevaluate your application a 2nd time after interviews. They usually get a little behind b/c of this. But when the 2nd round comes, your app will be reviewed before the 2nd batch.

Stay positive! :)

BTW, to answer a question earlier on...Yes, there is a points scale for interviewing, kind of like a sliding scale (rating 1-5 with 5 being best) for some questions, but not necessarily all questions. I guess it's sort of a randomization.

It does not seem quite fair that they would evaluate some applications from the first interview but not all, does anyone agree? But I guess life is not fair... it is just very depressing...sorry can not get out of bed...:sleep:

Does anyone know the next date they will send out acceptances like maybe a UT student...?

Last edited: