USUHS Class of 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
have phs spots been taken up already?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I interviewed late too and am waiting to hear back on my fate. Does anyone have any information on how you are contacted if you are on the waitlist, the alternate list, or--worst case scenario--rejected? Is it always by email if you are waitlisted? Or can you get a letter in the mail? What about alternate list? I'm just trying to prepare myself :)

Thanks in advanced for any information, and best of luck to everyone else who is waiting!

bili06,

After 10 weeks from my interview, I called to ask for the status on my decision. Ms. Knight was very helpful and put me on hold for a minute or so. Then, she told me that I had been placed on the Navy wait list. The entire call took less than 5 minutes and she was extremely polite and professional (just like the entire staff on interview day.) She stated that my wait list letter was about to be sent out as well.

kevlaina, we interviewed on the same day. I am on the waitlist for army, medically qualified and all that. Anyone know if that waitlist is moving along? I hope to see you all in August. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys whats going on.. Have been reading posts for a while but never posted anything myself. I interviewed on the last day to interview in February. Found out today I am waitlisted for the Army. I have been in the Air National Guard for 6 years. I had read on post from a few years back that they ran out of people on the Army waitlist and had asked people from others if they were interested in an Army slot. Don't know any other details but lets hope thats right. Texas will sure be hot in the summer I know that much, was there for Basic training for AF and tech school.

Hey guys whats going on.. Have been reading posts for a while but never posted anything myself. I interviewed on the last day to interview in February. Found out today I am waitlisted for the Army. I have been in the Air National Guard for 6 years. I had read on post from a few years back that they ran out of people on the Army waitlist and had asked people from others if they were interested in an Army slot. Don't know any other details but lets hope thats right. Texas will sure be hot in the summer I know that much, was there for Basic training for AF and tech school.

Hi JGardner,

Congrats on getting on the Army wait list! I interviewed on 21 Feb as well and haven't heard back yet...did they send you an email or did you get a letter in the mail to tell you about your status?

I called today, but they said that the letters were in the mail. She had something on her desk saying I was put on the waitlist for the Army. So just got my fingers crossed now!

I called today, but they said that the letters were in the mail. She had something on her desk saying I was put on the waitlist for the Army. So just got my fingers crossed now!

Thanks for the info--i'll cross my fingers as well for a good letter in the mail here in the next few days...now lets get these wait lists moving!!

I interviewed on 24 Jan and was waitlisted. Yesterday, however, I was offered conditional acceptance. So, they are moving through the wait list now.

I interviewed on Jan 24th too, but I am still on the waitlist. What branch did you request? I had AF first but then Army and Navy second. I don't think I can wait any longer! I am so anxious! How did they let you know of your acceptance?

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are relocating within the Baltimore-DC area to make my daily commute to Baltimore less painful. We are hoping to lease our current home to trustworthy people coming to either USUHS or the National Naval Medical Center. It is about 18 miles from USUHS. Due to its proximity to I-270, the drive from door to USUHS is about 25 minutes. This place is perfect for a young couple or family!

Here is a link to our ad on the Military By Owner website:
http://www.militarybyowner.com/listings/tourplus.asp?F_BASE_ID=148&F_STATE=MD&LISTING_ID=70680

Give us a call if you are interested!

I'm new to the forum, and just found out today that I was accepted for 2012!!! For anyone out there still waiting to hear the good news, here's how my timeline went: Interview 1/31/08, waitlist 4/8/08, acceptance 5/12/08.
Quick question: Does anyone know how commissioning is handled? Is there any kind of commissioning ceremony once we get to USU in August?
Any info would be great!

Congratulations armybound!

I'm still waiting for a Navy spot to open up. I'm staying pretty busy, but every time my phone rings I hope it is USU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the congrats Kevlaina! Believe me, I know the feeling of experiencing an adrenaline rush each time the phone rings... Hang in there!

CONGRADULATIONS!!! Did you have previous service with the Army? I had an interview in Jan too, but I haven't had any previous service and I applied for AF, but army and navy are my 2nd choices. When did they call you or did they send you and email or a letter in the mail? I am soooo anxious and this waiting period is killing me!!!! ahhhh

Hello ERmd! I don't have any previous military experience, I was already medically qualified when I interviewed (which I think plays into waitlist placement), and the acceptance was by phone, with an email immediately following, and a letter should come tomorrow-ish. I definitely understand the anxiety, as I was still feeling it just two days ago... and it is excruciating! (I think my husband would also strongly attest to this fact...) The only thing that helped me personally was to keep as positive an attitude as possible, but I'm sure you have some robust stress relief techniques of your own after these months of waiting! Good Luck!!!

Hi everyone-I just withdrew my spot from the incoming class. I had an appointment with the Army. I hope this helps and good luck to those still waiting!

armybound2012,

When I interviewed, my student host showed me pictures from his commissioning ceremony. I'm pretty sure it will happen before the first day of classes (August 24th?). It's a fairly formal cremony - at least judging from the pictures. I remember that the Navy folks were in choker whites. I've only worn that uniform a handful of times (USNA graduation and weddings).

See ya'll in August!

Oh, and if any priors are reading this thread, have you heard any news about pay changes based on the NDAA 2008?

armybound2012,

Oh, and if any priors are reading this thread, have you heard any news about pay changes based on the NDAA 2008?

The word from my host sponsor was that it went into effect on April 30, and they would be backpayed to Jan 28th (when the bill was signed/passed).

Boardrider32,

Thanks. Let's hope so.

Now I'm just waiting on orders. If anyone gets their orders, will you please post how and when they were delivered. I'm stationed in Albuquerque, NM and am trying to make plans for moving this summer and am anxious to get this show on the road! As you know, there isn't much you can do without orders.

Decision Day!

Hoping some spots come open for all of us still waiting to hear...

Boardrider32,

Thanks. Let's hope so.

Now I'm just waiting on orders. If anyone gets their orders, will you please post how and when they were delivered. I'm stationed in Albuquerque, NM and am trying to make plans for moving this summer and am anxious to get this show on the road! As you know, there isn't much you can do without orders.

Ditto here. I called last week to find out when they would start issuing orders and they said it would not happen until after May 15th. I really need to have mine in hand by June 1st, so I can PCS when I want to.

I didn't hear anything today. I actually called them, because I asked if I could change the order of my service preference. I put army first now because I heard that it is a lot larger and has more residency positions in emergency med. So I hope she could change it for me. Hopefully the waitlist will move soon though!!!

I called this morning and Ms. Hamlette said that no changes have happened yet but slots have begun opening up, so I'm sure that open slots will begin to be offered in the next week or two. Most of the class is supposed to be in place, or at least have offers of unconditional acceptance, by June 1st. So, all of us waiting to get a phone call from Dr. Calloway just need to be patient through the next 2 weeks! :smuggrin:
I asked a few weeks ago whether I should change my service preference ( I've got Air Force 1st and Army 2nd) and she kept saying that I should stay where I was at cause things looked 'good'. I interviewed Jan. 24th, so I'm just a little worried that the waitlist is longer than it's suggested to be? I really want to come to USUHS! If I went Army, I'd be the first in my family (both my parents and my brother are Air Force) but medically it might offer more opportunities... :rolleyes:
Has anyone else heard anything along the lines that all 3 services (USA, USAF, USN) would eventually be pooling their medical services/staffing so there wouldn't be as big a difference between the service selected... or am I misunderstanding something completely different ?:cool:

I was thinking about the changes regarding base pay at USUHS (the fact that prior-service don't get their pay chopped as much as they used to if they chose to come to USUHS) reduces the number of slots opening up for waitlisted people. Does anyone else think that might be a factor unique to this year's waitlist? :oops:

I called to verify my spot on the Navy wait list today. I was told that I was not physically qualified (my heart dropped). I told them that I completed the DoDMERB physical and was physically qualified on the 25th of February. She gave me a number to call Ms. Michelle Thomas to check the status. Apparently, the left hand was not talking to the right hand and admissions had not been updated of my PQ status...ouch! There's a month on the wait list wasted.

I hope you're right about the movement EngineerDoctor. Thanks for garnering all the wait list information for us. Also, I'm glad I checked with admissions.

EngineerDoctor, I interviewed on the same day as you! I was also originally AF as my first choice, but I talked to some of the students that already go there, and they told me that the army waitlist moves faster and the army has more residency opportunities. Plus, I want to do EM and the AF doesn't have many positions avaliable for that. So, I called the admissions office yesterday and changed my order of service preference. I hope they didn't put me at the bottom of the list for army now. I have heard some people already being accepted in USUHS with the army that interviewed after us :(. I don't know about you all, but I sit by the phone and my email like all day from 9-5 just waiting for a call from them.... I am so lame haha!! But, I REALLY want to go to this school sooooo bad.

Hey Cool! Yeah, that interview group was really awesome, everyone gelled well on our interview day.
I've heard the same thing (and seen from this thread that people interviewing after us who've gotten slots) that army waitlist moves faster and offers many more residency opportunities.... The thing is, I'm kinda hesitant to "switch" services because I know the AF ins and outs and my wife is especially hesistant of me switching to an army preference, cause she's only really comfortable with AF (most from speaking with my family about AF).
I was told that the number of Air Force slots was increased from 51 to 53 but army still has the most at 63. My wife told me that IF I was to change my preference, I needed to put together a lot of information about the Army's Medicine opportunities to convince her. Any suggestions where I could get a list of stats and numbers and service locations about Army residencies and actual list of Army locations where hospitals are still Army operated (I want to do EM too but am open to a bunch of residencies)?

Well, this website has some info on the army and its medical specialties... http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=312

I am sure you can look around this website and find a lot of info. I read on some other threads on here that AF is mostly family doc now, that is what made me want to move to army. Of course, I/they could be wrong. I also talked to a guy on facebook that is in the AF at usuhs that said AF EM is very competitive because they dont have a lot of openings in that residency. I don't really have anything tying me down like a family or such, so I guess it is a lot easier for me to switch. I didn't realiaze that army only had 10 more slots than AF, you might just want to wait it out and see. If all the spots in the AF are taken, do they ask you if you want to switch service, because if they do, then maybe wait till then to decide. Who knows, all I know is this waiting thing is killing me.

Hey Cool! Yeah, that interview group was really awesome, everyone gelled well on our interview day.
I've heard the same thing (and seen from this thread that people interviewing after us who've gotten slots) that army waitlist moves faster and offers many more residency opportunities.... The thing is, I'm kinda hesitant to "switch" services because I know the AF ins and outs and my wife is especially hesistant of me switching to an army preference, cause she's only really comfortable with AF (most from speaking with my family about AF).
I was told that the number of Air Force slots was increased from 51 to 53 but army still has the most at 63. My wife told me that IF I was to change my preference, I needed to put together a lot of information about the Army's Medicine opportunities to convince her. Any suggestions where I could get a list of stats and numbers and service locations about Army residencies and actual list of Army locations where hospitals are still Army operated (I want to do EM too but am open to a bunch of residencies)?

Hey EngineerDoctor,

If you are going to USUHS and would like to stay married, listen to what I have to say. I've got over seven years of active duty time as an officer and one divorce behind me. I look forward to at least 15 more years of government service. Almost all the officers I've known in my career have had at least one divorce. Further, years ago people tried to give me the same advice I'm offering up now, but I failed to listen. Don't be stupid like me.

You don't have to convince your wife (This applies to husbands too for any women reading this post. There's no sexism here.) of anything. Believe or not things work out better when she just accepts what you tell her. As a USUHS student you'll have at lease 15 more years of random military BS coming at you. If she requires convincing of anything, you're going to have higher stress levels at home than at work. You will never relax. You will get divorced or be miserable. And don't forget that in addition the emotional toils of divorce, it's expensive.

Go watch Master and Commander and pay particular attention to the scene in the wardroom when Captain Aubrey asks Dr. Maturin about the weevils on the table.

Hey Charmpton,
Thanks for the advice. It's a really cool part of being in the military that we really do try and look out for one another. I completely agree with you about the "accepting what I tell her" because if she's not happy with what the military decides to do for us, then she'll take it out on me.
My brother is a Major in the AF and his marriage was rough for a number of years because his wife was fed up with the AF deciding/controlling their lives. Once she Accepted the fact that until they were finished in the AF all the crap would continue, they're marriage settled out and they're doing fine.
I just wanted to make sure that I gave my wife the opportunity to have a say in this process Before we committed to at least 16 years of military service. That's all that I was trying to do, make sure the decision to enter the service was a mutual one, so When things get rough, it's not a situation where she was voiceless/forced into. Military is rough on a family, I know that. Both my parents are former military, but you must enter it with Both eyes Wide Open!
BTW- I love the movie Master and Commander. It's a classic! Thanks for the post, man. I really appreciate your advice and will share it with my wife.

ERmd,
Yeah, I agree, this waiting is truly building patience, if not an ulcer... ha ha. Anyway, I think I'll just wait it out and if it doesn't happen, then it's just not meant to be. Yes, I heard that if the Army waitlist is exhausted, they will then offer positions to people who have Army as second choice, like me. Time will tell. Good luck with the waiting process and thanks for the link. There definitely seems to be more medical opportunities in Army, and my wife recognizes that. She's super supportive, I just didn't want to do anything without including my family in the decision process.

I'm still waiting on orders. If anyone hears anything, let me know. The lady in the MPO office told me on Friday that the orders were being cut and issued "as we speak." Still nothing today, so I'm not sure how they are routing them.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

ERRRR anyone hear anything yet? Waiting is so hard!!! Especially when we only have a few weeks until officer training starts!!

i'm a usuhs first year who was on waitlist last year.

Call. especially if you dont care what branch you are (i.e for people like me with no prior service, no family ties) call to show interest, the office is really great.

make sure you have your health status complete. We were allowed to see our admissions packets a few weeks ago - i would have been offered acceptance in feb but didnt get in until may due to health status being incomplete (so several months of angst could have been avoided!) so definitely dont let that be keeping you out.

If you have anything you want to add to your packet, add it now! it really will make a difference.

Do not give up... many people in my class got in right up to when classes started. so dont worry about training camps (yes, they are nice for those of us with zero marching skills and don't know anything about camo, but you can get in without going to one)

chins up 2012-ers... and potential 2012-ers.... the fun hasnt even started yet.

and p.s

orders take forever.... seriously, go do something fun... or buddy up to ROTC kids who can help you on base/make purchases.

sometimes the base clothing sales people are a PITA when trying to get uniforms with just orders, so i was glad i had my army friends get me on base and get uniforms.

and girls, princess cut shirts are the way to go (for AF and army)! dont buy the tuck in ones.

The silence is deafening...

I did get my 2009 AMCAS application complete and ready for submission.

The silence is going to kill me. UGH!!!! How long does it take? I mean, the people were supposed to give up their holds on the schools last Thursday! SHouldn't that have opened up a bunch of spots?

Well, it looks like med school ain't gonna happen. I am out.

Hey ERmd, what do you mean? You're out!? Did you get a call or email or something? I thought people are still able to move around right up till August when school starts? Let me know....

Well, since it is so late into May, and officer school is starting soon, I figure I did not get a place. I mean, the 15th was a while ago, so I am sure all the places have been offered by now. I guess I just have to find another vocation. Medicine must not be my true calling. I can't wait time sitting around waiting for them to call me, so I figure I should find something else to do.

Just called and was informed that next years class was still full but they were cycling through the waitlist as people dropped...(uhhh duh)
however it might behoove someone to call and inquire weather or not they've tendered acceptances since the May 15th drop date...that would be mildly interesting to know.

I bet you had to catch your breath after hearing that astonishing answer :smuggrin:

I got a phone call around 3:00 Central time. I will be there for OBC, Man this has been a long wait!

Wow you got in!!! Congrats!!!! That's fantastic.