USUHS Class of 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DREW96863

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see class of 2011 started a thread to share info etc., so I figured I'd start one for 2012. I'm interviewing next week (little nervous) and have my physical tomorrow (less nervous). Any others out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Twidling thumbs hoping for an interview. Finally launched my committee letter yesterday. Goodluck tomorrow.

Well I finished the physical today. Pretty painless. I drank alot of water beforehand like the instructions said to. I could have filled a hundred specimen cups by the end of the exam. The room was cold as hell though. Sitting there in my undies, I started to wonder if cold tolerance was part of the exam. Now for the interview next week. I'll probably be more nervous afterwards waiting for a letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Just signed up and decided to find other 2008 USUHS hopefuls. Currently a Naval SH-60B & MH-60R Helicopter Flight Instructor. Average MCAT, average GPA, tons of other EC's and volunteer activities. Application complete, just hoping for an interview. Good luck to all!

"SONIC":cool:

Hey all,

Just signed up and decided to find other 2008 USUHS hopefuls. Currently a Naval SH-60B & MH-60R Helicopter Flight Instructor. Average MCAT, average GPA, tons of other EC's and volunteer activities. Application complete, just hoping for an interview. Good luck to all!

Good luck to you on getting an interview. Just finished the interview a couple days ago. Not as bad as my nerves told me it would be.

Good luck to you on getting an interview. Just finished the interview a couple days ago. Not as bad as my nerves told me it would be.

I interviewed also, waiting is tough, huh. At least it's rolling admission and we will hear pretty soon. Let me know if you hear anything.

I interviewed also, waiting is tough, huh. At least it's rolling admission and we will hear pretty soon. Let me know if you hear anything.

I'll definitely post when I hear. We stayed in the area for awhile afterwards and really had fun. Lot's to do.

Hey all,

I was HSL, too. Been in Pensacola instructing past 3 years. I can't believe you would willingly turn your back on LAMPS. It was so fulfilling! Don't want to "live the dream" anymore?

Hi everyone! I just got my interview invite this weekend....but it's for Dec. Is that a bad sign? I wish I would have gotten an earlier date. What is everyone else's experiences concerning USUHS interviews?

Also, what does the physical consist of exactly?

I'm really excited, and I hope to get into the class of 2012...I would love to hear every else's experiences:)

Does anyone know when they notify if you get accepted? I know they send it out snail mail, but aside from the generic "4-6" weeks after your interview, anything specific?

Best of luck to everyone!

What is everyone else's experiences concerning USUHS interviews?

Also, what does the physical consist of exactly?

I'm really excited, and I hope to get into the class of 2012...I would love to hear every else's experiences:)
Congratulations on getting the interview. I can't really say whether Dec is bad or not, but at least it isn't Feb or something. I interviewed on Oct 4th and thought I was pretty lucky to get that. The whole interview day was pretty cool. I admit I was high strung on the inside for most of it. The interviews themselves were surprisingly relaxing. I didn't get any "dead baby" ethical questions. The first interviewer had me elaborate on parts of my essay and then asked about my family. The second interviewer and I mostly told sea stories and laughed.
My physical consisted of the normal head to toe checkup followed by a rousing bout of turn your head and cough. There was an eye exam, a urine test, and a hearing test too. The physical instructions state that a visual rectal check is MANDATORY. The doctor didn't do one on me. Now I looked on the website they gave me to check my medical status and it says I am "remedial" until I go back for that loving rectal check. So if your doctor tries to defer the rectal exam.......tell him to head south or you'll be back later. Oh, and I had lasik eye surgery so they need the actual surgical records. Otherwise I think that's all they cared about.
Good luck on your interview!

Does anyone know when they notify if you get accepted? I know they send it out snail mail, but aside from the generic "4-6" weeks after your interview, anything specific?

Best of luck to everyone!

On the class of 2011 thread, people that had interviewed on 28 Sep heard by the end of October. People that interviewed on 4 Oct. heard at the beginning of November. Some people said they got a phone call, other people said they got letters. For some reason though, I think from the Princeton Review book, I have the idea that they officially start accepting after Oct 15th.
I dunno. I'll just hold my breath.

Congratulations on getting the interview. I can't really say whether Dec is bad or not, but at least it isn't Feb or something. I interviewed on Oct 4th and thought I was pretty lucky to get that. The whole interview day was pretty cool. I admit I was high strung on the inside for most of it. The interviews themselves were surprisingly relaxing. I didn't get any "dead baby" ethical questions. The first interviewer had me elaborate on parts of my essay and then asked about my family. The second interviewer and I mostly told sea stories and laughed.
My physical consisted of the normal head to toe checkup followed by a rousing bout of turn your head and cough. There was an eye exam, a urine test, and a hearing test too. The physical instructions state that a visual rectal check is MANDATORY. The doctor didn't do one on me. Now I looked on the website they gave me to check my medical status and it says I am "remedial" until I go back for that loving rectal check. So if your doctor tries to defer the rectal exam.......tell him to head south or you'll be back later. Oh, and I had lasik eye surgery so they need the actual surgical records. Otherwise I think that's all they cared about.
Good luck on your interview!

Thanks for the congrats!.....I'll certainly be looking foward to the physical

I hope everything works out for you.....let me know when you get the acceptance letter

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on Sept 27th and I just got my conditional acceptance today. It was a way faster turn around then I expected. I am stoked and can't wait for my physical to get processed.

I interviewed on Sept 27th and I just got my conditional acceptance today. It was a way faster turn around then I expected. I am stoked and can't wait for my physical to get processed.

That is awesome. I asume you got it in the mail? I got two other acceptances from other schools today, but am really looking forward the one from USUHS.

About the perviously mentioned rectal exam...that sucks. I suppose my doc was easy on me. I had mine today. Just your basic turn and cough a couple questions and he marked me ok for everything. :)

That is awesome. I asume you got it in the mail? I got two other acceptances from other schools today, but am really looking forward the one from USUHS.

About the perviously mentioned rectal exam...that sucks. I suppose my doc was easy on me. I had mine today. Just your basic turn and cough a couple questions and he marked me ok for everything. :)
No I got a phone call. The letter is in the mail.

Congrats to all who received interviews and acceptances! I hope to join the club, but all in due time I suppose. Did anyone meet Joan Stearman? I met her last year when I visited the campus and she was a big help. Got a campus tour, short "mock" interview and talked about the curriculum and expectations. She has been my link to my app. status and she mentioned that I am under review right now. Hope I get an interview soon!

I called today to find out when they would be sending out letters of denial/acceptance, they asked for my name and told me to call back at the end of the week. My file is still "under review."

I called today to find out when they would be sending out letters of denial/acceptance, they asked for my name and told me to call back at the end of the week. My file is still "under review."

What day did you interview on?

So...I called again like they told me to. I gave them my name and they asked me if I had "interviewed yet." That of course doesn't give me the most confidence...anyways, they told me to call back in two weeks.

Deflating yes...

So...I called again like they told me to. I gave them my name and they asked me if I had "interviewed yet." That of course doesn't give me the most confidence...anyways, they told me to call back in two weeks.

Deflating yes...

Sucks huh? I called them yesterday to try to gain some insight and they didn't even ask my name. She just said "Wait until your interview". I told her I had already interviewed. She said "Wait 6-8 weeks and someone will be in touch." I guess it makes sense though. If one person called and got info, they would post it online and admissions would be flooded with calls.
Oh well, I'll go back to false hoping (hoping falsely, falsely hoping, hoping false.....whatever) when the phone rings.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................
.Anchors Aweigh
See Ya'll There

Got the call today as well. Sweet!

The army has a program called "Operation Blue to Green" to recruit Air Force folks into the army, I guess you can call what I am doing "Green to Blue."

Not bad. Not bad at all. :)

Got the call today as well. Sweet!

The army has a program called "Operation Blue to Green" to recruit Air Force folks into the army, I guess you can call what I am doing "Green to Blue."

Not bad. Not bad at all. :)

Congratulations!!!!!!! You'll be a doggie to flyboy doc. LOL

I'm so stoked. We'll have get to know one another a little later. Right now though, I'm waiting for the wife to get home. She's gonna $^!+ bricks.

Later

Hey guys, I interviewed october 4th to, if I didnt get a call today does that mean I got rejected?

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................
.Anchors Aweigh
See Ya'll There

Congrats on the acceptance!!!!! :):):)

Hey guys, I interviewed october 4th to, if I didnt get a call today does that mean I got rejected?

No. FTVAD interviewed the same day as me but found out over a week before me. And I am sure there are others who interviewed with us who havn't heard back yet.

If you interviewed that early, the least you will get is waitlist unless you left before your interview was complete or something.

What branch did you pick? No doubt there are many slots open, and if you were waitlisted there will be plenty of movement between now and next summer.

FTVAD, Elderjack are you guys definitely going to USUHS or still shopping around?

I'm pretty sure that I am going to go to usuhs. I still have an interview at Case Weastern coming up, but I don't think I would choose it over usuhs. That and I'm not likely to get in anyways. I'm convinced I got the interview on the strength of my how I wanted to be a ninja as a kid backflip essay. I have to get a waiver for usuhs though, due to broken auditory equipment where I did my physical. I'm pretty annoyed because no one at concorde was willing to do anything. My hearing is fine, I had it tested four days before the usuhs physical at my meps physical. So hopefully it will be a simple matter of retaking the hearing test and being done with it.
So as long as I can get undisqualified you can expect to see me at usuhs wearing blue.

. I'm convinced I got the interview on the strength of my how I wanted to be a ninja as a kid backflip essay.
So as long as I can get undisqualified you can expect to see me at usuhs wearing blue.
I hear Case Western does have a pretty good MD/Ninja program. Well, it's good to know that Concorde wasn't just messing with me personally. I guess it's everyone. I'm on remedial medical because the doctor doing the physical wrote "deferred" on the rectal exam part. I didn't care whether he actually checked or not, I figured he knew what he was doing. Concorde interpreted that as a refusal on my behalf and sent me a letter saying I would have to pay a doctor to do one. I called DODMERB and luckily an Airforce Sgt fixed it for me. He said Concorde does stuff like that all the time and it's "why he has a job".

Tough to say right now where I will go.

I look at my two sons and think, if I go to USUHS the older one would be 16 by the time I could get out of the service and have a normal...non-deployable...non-pcs-able life. Kind of weird to think that much in advance, but you can't help it if you are a parent.

On the flip side, living in destitute poverty for an equal amount of time due to massive amounts of student loans won't do too much for the health and welfare of my children either. :)

From what I hear the Air Force isn't bad at all. Time will tell.

Tough to say right now where I will go.

I look at my two sons and think, if I go to USUHS the older one would be 16 by the time I could get out of the service and have a normal...non-deployable...non-pcs-able life. Kind of weird to think that much in advance, but you can't help it if you are a parent.

On the flip side, living in destitute poverty for an equal amount of time due to massive amounts of student loans won't do too much for the health and welfare of my children either. :)

From what I hear the Air Force isn't bad at all. Time will tell.

Yeah, I've got a boy too (3.5 years). I've spoiled him and his mom with food and shelter, now they've come to expect it. I spent alot of time mulling the prospects either way. I decided if I went civilian I would be spending all of my time being a medicaid/medicare/HMO reimbursement ***** and working myself to death to get out of the hole. Military may move the family around, but at least I'd get some time with them (even if it is between deployments) and a secure no-sue living.

Honestly, we are screwed either way. I came to conclusion that at least I know what to expect from the military. The civilian medical sector is screwy, getting worse, and will be doubly so once whatever candidate gets in office starts messing with it.

Either way, you'll make the right chioce for you and the family. I'm pretty set on USUHS myself.

Good luck

Well as a single guy I can't say that I in any way relate. The way I see the decision is that in going to usuhs I would have a much more enjoyable 1-8 years now while I am in school and in my residency. I wouldn't be just scraping by, and I would be able to do fun things without thinking about how it's adding to that gorilla of debt on my back. That and I feel the student environment at usuhs is more enjoyable. Whereas by going civilian with loans I would have a much more enjoyable 9-16 years, because by then I would not be in debt getting to do a whole lot of doctoring while getting paid more than I know what to do with, and alot of stability for that wife that I'm sure I will pick up by then.

So for me naturally I am more concerned about the now. I want to enjoy my 20's rather than my 30's. Sacrifice the future for today baby.

So for me naturally I am more concerned about the now. I want to enjoy my 20's rather than my 30's. Sacrifice the future for today baby.

I'm already 30, so I'll enjoy my 30's and sacrifice my 40's I guess.

Those two responses are great. I apprecaite them. I would definitely agree that you are screwed either way if you are a non-trad w/family.

If you are single and want to enjoy a life a little while you are young, the military option is a great way to go. Lots of traveling, decent money, and great people.

Hi everyone-
I'm interviewing at USUHS on November 29 and I had a question about choosing a branch preference (I'm a civilian). I'm trying to choose between the Army and Air Force, and while I don't really have a strong preference between the two, I have heard the Air Force fills up fastest and has the least likely to move waitlist. My question, in addition to maybe getting some more perspective on which of the two I should choose, is if it's true that the Air Force fills up fastest, would it simply be a better strategic move to choose the Army as my first choice to maximize my chances of being accepted? Or, since it's still pretty early in the interview process, would you think all of the branches are likely to have plenty of spaces left? Thanks!

Congratulations on the interview. I really have nothing to say to help you choose between the two. As far as which gives you the better chance, I don't think that it matters. From what I understand, they award you a place in the class first, then if there are no slots left in your first choice, they will call and ask if your second choice would be okay. So rank which ever one you like best first.

Hey yall, still havent heard back from early oct interview, are all acceptances by way of phone?

Greetings everyone!
I interviewed Oct 18, so it looks like I still have about 2 weeks to find out if I am accepted.
I am an Air Force prior-enlisted and a current AFROTC student. I already know without a doubt that I will choose USUHS if I am accepted; so I will see some of you, hopefully, next August. To be continued...

Greetings everyone!
I interviewed Oct 18, so it looks like I still have about 2 weeks to find out if I am accepted.
I am an Air Force prior-enlisted and a current AFROTC student. I already know without a doubt that I will choose USUHS if I am accepted; so I will see some of you, hopefully, next August. To be continued...

Congrats on the interview! Hope to see you there.

Still hi

Last edited:
Hey everyone, this is my first posting (in fact I've been avoiding the forums for a couple of weeks just because I've been too anxious waiting to hear my status from USUHS). I interviewed Oct 4th, and got the phone call today that I've been accepted (Army). USUHS was my top choice (I'm an Army wife), so I've definately decided to go there. I'm looking forward to meeting y'all next summer and fall.

Congratulations blenndogg! I am so excited for you!

Hey everyone, this is my first posting (in fact I've been avoiding the forums for a couple of weeks just because I've been too anxious waiting to hear my status from USUHS). I interviewed Oct 4th, and got the phone call today that I've been accepted (Army). USUHS was my top choice (I'm an Army wife), so I've definately decided to go there. I'm looking forward to meeting y'all next summer and fall.

Congrats Blenndog! I'll definitely be seeing you there. I probably saw you on the 4th, but I was hanging out with the Navy folks.

I have the interview at USUHS coming up in less than a month....and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their interview experiences?

what kind of questions did they ask other than why military medicine?
how was the atmosphere?
etc.

also, does anyone know of anyone who interviewed at USUHS (who was motivated to attend) and got rejected?

Once again congrats to all of you who got accepted!!!!

So from the posts here it looks like if you get accepted you get a call about 3-4 afters your interview. I interviewed on the 25th of October. I'm so nervous :scared:.

So from the posts here it looks like if you get accepted you get a call about 3-4 afters your interview. I interviewed on the 25th of October. I'm so nervous :scared:.

The waiting part sucks huh? Best of luck.

Also hi

Last edited: