USUHS Class of 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fortunately you have a little bit of time to work on receiving a waiver. My dad years ago had a medical waiver due to an accident (he never had to run for PT tests except a handful of tiemes although he did the rest). He had to appeal the disqualifications and ask for a waiver directly to the Army Surgeon General stating his reasons for appealing and a physicians statement saying he was healthy and the disqualifying reason would not interfere with his duties and no complications to daily life. Later he was sent a letter saying he was approved for a waiver which went into his permanent file. He kept a copy for his own records which he later needed when the military lost his records.

That sounds promising. I had a leg problem when i was a kid, but I am doing fine now. I guess the name of my condition scared them since the physician doing my physical told me everything looked fine and he would give them the green light. Doing PT might actually help my case; I don't know if that is part of the process. The more I think about USUHS, the more I want to go there. Anyway, thank you for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope to attend next year if my interviews go well. As for the medical qualifications, if you look under search with usuhs as the key word, I saw a few old messages about medical waivers as one of the choices. And of course Michelle at the admission office is probably your best up to date source. Here is a link to one of the old messages:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-99789.html

Good luck, maybe we'll meet as students.

I just got in.......Im speechless. ARMY baby. It is a conditional acceptance and I need a waiver for a prexisting condition but I am feeling pretty good. I will see hopefully see you guys on the flip side.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got in.......Im speechless. ARMY baby. It is a conditional acceptance and I need a waiver for a prexisting condition but I am feeling pretty good. I will see hopefully see you guys on the flip side.

when did you interview?

hey everyone, I interviewed Nov. 1 and received a conditional acceptance by mail today. This is my first time posting and thought that this info might ease a few minds. It seems that USUHS calls and writes their aceptances (I did not recieve a call). I still must waiver two Items from DoDMERB physical ( plantar fasc. from last year, its gone now, and one concerning a alcohol treatment program I attended in 2001). does anyone know how easy it is to waiver such things once you've received an acceptance? Also, if anyone is worried about age or numbers, dont be. I am 39, non previous military with unspectacular numbers (28 mcat, 3.61 GPA). I think It was my essays that swayed them. any help on the waiver issue would be much appreciated. I also wanted to thank everyone on this forum, the info you provided really helped out, thanks again.
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Congrats on the acceptance. Which service? I would think that those other two waivers would be easier to get than the age waiver. How does that work, did they complete your age waiver before they offered the acceptance or is it still in the works? Did you have to do the paperwork yourself or did they start it for you? As far as the medical waivers, if you've already checked the codes and have the supporting documentation, it's mostly just a waiting game once you submit your waiver application in my experience. Good luck.

Thanks, since I was a little older I decided to play the numbers game and go army (which has the most slots open). As for the age waiver, they needed it before they offered an acceptance and all they needed was a statement from me (about a half page) on why I should be waived through. Thanks for the encouragement on the medical waivers, I sent in all supporting info including a letter from a local orthopod stating my Plantar fasc. was resolved and no restrictions should be placed on my activities and a letter from the treatment center I attended stating that I successfully completed the program ( I also wrote a half page on why I should be waived on this also). Michelle at USUHS said it may take up to 4 weeks to hear back on these waivers, I hope after all this I can waiver the ulcer Im developing(haha).

I just interviewd at USUHS on January 10th and reallly liked what I saw and heard. They told us at the orientation and in our emails that we would likely not hear back until the end of March or first of April. Does that sound accurate to anybody out there? Congrats to those already accepted, hope to join you.

I just received my acceptance phone call from USUHS! I knew I'd be happy once I got accepted but I didn't know I would be this happy. I'm ecstatic! I'm 5 year prior service Army so I'll be going back in as a soldier. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in a few months. HOOAH!

nabtc, congrats on the acceptance. When did you interview?

I interviewed on Nov. 15th. I got my acceptance exactly at the 10th week mark. Good luck to you.

I got the call this morning..accepted into the Army! I'm still going to wait and see what my state schools say before I make a final decision, but right now USUHS is #1. I interviewed November 29th, so 9 weeks and 6 days later for me. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those of you who have been accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Any prior Navy here in the thread that are all set to matriculate this August? I interviewed on Oct 11th and was wondering if the other two Navy LT's got picked up (one F-18 pilot from Japan and one submariner working in D.C.)....

Oh, and if anyone here is a senior at USAFA and knows a cadet with the last name Garcia that interviewed on Oct 11th, let him know I still owe him a safety pin.

Has anyone who interviewed on December 6 heard anything? I interviewed on December 6 and was told to wait 8-10 weeks just checking to see if they started looking at the december packages.

Has anyone who interviewed on December 6 heard anything? I interviewed on December 6 and was told to wait 8-10 weeks just checking to see if they started looking at the december packages.

I interviewed the same day and haven't heard anything yet either.

I interviewed the same day and haven't heard anything yet either.

I'm in the same boat as the 2 of you.....but I have a feeling we might know by next Thurs. (it will be 10 weeks)

Anyone else get their USUHS contract yet? (post-unconditional acceptance)

It is pretty extensive. Does anyone know if you are committed from the time you sign the contract, or can you change your mind so long as you haven’t been sworn in?

Reading all of your posts gets me so excited about attending this school...I imagine I will be going through what all of you are in about a year from now. Congrats to all those who have been accepted, and good luck to those still waiting to hear!

It is pretty extensive. Does anyone know if you are committed from the time you sign the contract, or can you change your mind so long as you haven’t been sworn in?
Is the contract different from the acknowledgment letter that has to be signed and mailed back? Do you know if it is for military and/or civilians?

I'd be very surprised if it commits you to anything. My guess is that your commitment starts when you swear in or you draw your first paycheck, whichever comes first. Just a guess.

I was wondering about that too. The due date is feb 25 (for me at least). I'm still waiting for my state school, so I really don't want to fill it out unless I really need to.

I was wondering about that too. The due date is feb 25 (for me at least). I'm still waiting for my state school, so I really don't want to fill it out unless I really need to.

Mine is the 25th as well. I need to take some time and read through all the paperwork in detail. It seemed pretty much like you were signing a contract...I may shoot an email to the school and find out.

I also interviewed on December 6th. I got the call for ARMY on January 31st, which was the eighth week mark. Hope this helps and that you all hear something soon!

I just got another email with the welcome letter. It says: Complete and return all paperwork to the above address no later than 16 April 2008.

So we should have plenty of time to finish filling everything out.

Does anyone know the likelihood (spelling?) of doing the majority of the 3 and 4th year clinical rotations at Wilford Hall Air Force Base in San Antonio? I ask this because I heard a rumor that it is possible to basically do most everything there your 3rd and 4th year. I could be wrong, please correct me if so.

Would an age waiver hold up my application?

I interviewed Nov. 29th and listed Navy as my top choice preference. I have been waitlisted which I am pretty bummed out about. Has anyone else been waitlisted yet or gotten in off the waitlist? I am really excited about USUHS so hopefully it all works out.

I interviewed Nov. 29th and listed Navy as my top choice preference. I have been waitlisted which I am pretty bummed out about. Has anyone else been waitlisted yet or gotten in off the waitlist? I am really excited about USUHS so hopefully it all works out.

When did you recieve word you were on the waitlist? Any idea on how the waitlist works? Is it first come first served, or is there priority given? I interviewed on the 10th of January and am getting worried that most spots will be filled.

When did you recieve word you were on the waitlist? Any idea on how the waitlist works? Is it first come first served, or is there priority given? I interviewed on the 10th of January and am getting worried that most spots will be filled.

First worry about being medically qualified then waitlisted. This information comes from someone in admissions. Once the April deadline passes for being medically qualified, the pool of applicants is set and those qualified are pulled from the list to attend as other people make a decision due to the deadline in May about attending other schools. Waitlisted still means hope.

What is the exact date of the deadline to be medically qualified? My appt. is not until next week, will I be ok? I might need a waiver, too.

I think Michelle said that the last date for med qual is April 15th? I am not positive, but it was in the information packet we received on interview day. You should have time to get the qualification from DoDMERB and a waiver if you don't have really complicated medical issues. I got everything within 6 weeks.

Does anyone have any idea how many people have already been accepted? I interviewed later than most people, so I am a little nervous because I was told the class was approximately 70% full.

I think Michelle said that the last date for med qual is April 15th? I am not positive, but it was in the information packet we received on interview day. You should have time to get the qualification from DoDMERB and a waiver if you don't have really complicated medical issues. I got everything within 6 weeks.

Does anyone have any idea how many people have already been accepted? I interviewed later than most people, so I am a little nervous because I was told the class was approximately 70% full.

When did you interview? When I interviewed on Jan 10, they said it was approximately 60% full. I called last week to get some approximate information on how many spots are available, but they were tight lipped.

I interviewed Jan 10th as well. The first person that interviewed me told me 70%, although he may have been mistaken? Plus, I don't know if that is including the people that haven't signed contracts yet and were/are still debating.
I haven't heard anything else, except that all my stuff is ready for review (physical was completed and I already have a clearance).
I am nervous because this school is so competitive and I REALLY want to get in here.
Have you interviewed or been accepted anywhere else?

Oh, and if anyone here is a senior at USAFA and knows a cadet with the last name Garcia that interviewed on Oct 11th, let him know I still owe him a safety pin.

Will do...PM me with your name and I'll tell him you said whats up. He did get an acceptance...

Hi all,

I called yesterday and was notified that I was waitlisted - I interviewed Dec. 13th if that helps anybody figure out their current wait time. I don't know if all waitlist notifications for Dec 13th interviews were mailed on Feb 26th or just mine.

Hope this helps -

I interviewed Jan 10th as well. The first person that interviewed me told me 70%, although he may have been mistaken? Plus, I don't know if that is including the people that haven't signed contracts yet and were/are still debating.
I haven't heard anything else, except that all my stuff is ready for review (physical was completed and I already have a clearance).
I am nervous because this school is so competitive and I REALLY want to get in here.
Have you interviewed or been accepted anywhere else?

I interviewed at my state school (University of Utah), but got the rejecction letter yesterday, so I am really pulling for USUHS now (not that I wasn't before). I did not apply to very many schools (4 MD and 2 DO). I have a interview at a DO school at the end of March. I am hoping I hear back from USUHS prior to the interview, so I can cancel if needed.

Do you know of anyone else from the Jan 10th interview group that has heard back? Are you current military?

i just got the call from dr. calloway! i interviewed december 6, was waitlisted 2 weeks ago and i was pretty bummed. now 2 weeks letter i'm offered a conditional acceptance!!! i could not be happier and will definitely be attending! (i'm going to be army)

I don't know if I should be worried, upset or indifferent. I interviewed Dec-6 and have been constantly contacting the admissions office and last week during the most recent call to Lenora she said that a decision on my file could not be made until Dr Calloway got into the office this week. Well, I still haven't heard anything. Not waitlisted, rejection, alternate, acceptance.....nothing. How many students from Dec-6 have heard? Is it common for students to not hear anything or is that lack of received contact just the writing on the wall?

I don't know if I should be worried, upset or indifferent. I interviewed Dec-6 and have been constantly contacting the admissions office and last week during the most recent call to Lenora she said that a decision on my file could not be made until Dr Calloway got into the office this week. Well, I still haven't heard anything. Not waitlisted, rejection, alternate, acceptance.....nothing. How many students from Dec-6 have heard? Is it common for students to not hear anything or is that lack of received contact just the writing on the wall?

I interviewed on Dec 6th and was asked for to request an age waiver last week but haven't heard anything since.

Does anyone know if calling the admissions office to ask about your status after an interview has resulted in them telling you that you have been accepted? or does it always result in them telling you that you have to wait until a decision has been made?

I just got my wait list letter. When I called and spoke with the admissions lady she said that 75-80% of matriculants for 2007 came from the wait list.

I just got my wait list letter. When I called and spoke with the admissions lady she said that 75-80% of matriculants for 2007 came from the wait list.

Wow, that is great hope for those of us who are hoping to at least be waitlisted. I am surprised that admissions people divulged that kind of information. They have been pretty tight-lipped about giving out information when I have called.

How far after your interview did you find out your status? Was it within the time frame that they gave you?

Wow, that is great hope for those of us who are hoping to at least be waitlisted. I am surprised that admissions people divulged that kind of information. They have been pretty tight-lipped about giving out information when I have called.

How far after your interview did you find out your status? Was it within the time frame that they gave you?

It was closer to 12 weeks but I was waiting on an age waiver.

Just recieved my waitlist letter yesterday. It was just shy of 8 weeks from my interview date (Jan 10th). Does anybody have any insight on how the waitlist is moving? I assume that as schools w/o rolling admissions start sending out acceptance letters, things should start rolling.

What about the alternate list? Is anyone here on that? I interviewed back in October and received my alternate list notification letter about 8 weeks later and haven't heard anything since.

So, I interviewed on 6-Dec and haven't heard an initial decision yet. Is this common? I haven't been accepted, waitlisted, placed on the alternate list or rejected. Speaking to the admissions office is treacherous enough since they never seem to know anything and always respond with "call back Friday". That is not intended as a slight against them, but how long does it take? Should I interpret this as a pretty solid negative statement and move on?

does anyone know at what point you're actually fully committed to attending USUHS? I'm getting my paperwork together for commissioning, but will signing the contract make a student unable to pull out if they are still deciding between multiple schools? Or, are you able to go ahead with the paperwork and still not be obligated?

does anyone know at what point you're actually fully committed to attending USUHS? I'm getting my paperwork together for commissioning, but will signing the contract make a student unable to pull out if they are still deciding between multiple schools? Or, are you able to go ahead with the paperwork and still not be obligated?

I would say, once you've raised your hand and sworn the oath, then it is too late. But until then I would say your still a free man.