USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
did you feel like it was worth the money you paid for it ? im having trouble okaying the money on it since im spending so much money for the pe and level 2 and step 2 on top of uworld
Well, if you are concerned about money, then it's definitely not indispensable. In general I encourage people to do as many Qbanks as possible (leaving Uworld for last - redoing the same material is low yield for me). I have no idea what pe, level 2 and step 2 are to compare.

Hello,
For you all waiting for ck result next week, can you please share your ideas if you can still able to submit a ck application, because i am able to do that, i did my test on Aug 15. As far as i know if you can still able to submit an application and you are waiting for the result it mean a fail score. I am so frraking out. Please please if anyone can say something about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
For you all waiting for ck result next week, can you please share your ideas if you can still able to submit a ck application, because i am able to do that, i did my test on Aug 15. As far as i know if you can still able to submit an application and you are waiting for the result it mean a fail score. I am so frraking out. Please please if anyone can say something about that?

Can you submit it or it shows that you have already taken the exam? It will let you go through a little bit (mark CK) and then it will stop you.

Hello,

Yea, I can say something about that: it means nothing. The subtleties of our personal interactions with the NBME website have no correlation with the likelihood of a passing score. Scouring this thread for reassurance is contingent on your willingness to submit to pure speculation handed down by other equally uninformed and neurotic medical students.

For those that are "so frraking out", please take a deep breath. No one on this thread can better address your anxieties than yourself. No amount of speculation and hypothesizing on the relevancy of the font size on the NBME website will calm you quite like some quiet introspection and deep breathing exercises.

5 more days, everyone. Let's all calm down.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
Also since they have a lot of backed up scores to get out, it might just mean that your going to have to wait a little bit longer for your score.

Can you submit it or it shows that you have already taken the exam? It will let you go through a little bit (mark CK) and then it will stop you.
It allows me to select ck and proceed with the application steps till payment, where i stopped right there!! Is anyone having the same thing please!!

It allows me to select ck and proceed with the application steps till payment, where i stopped right there!! Is anyone having the same thing please!!
Like a week ago it was not like this, i was unable to proceed after i select ck, but today it was a different story.

Like a week ago it was not like this, i was unable to proceed after i select ck, but today it was a different story.

Not relevant. Really. THERE IS NO WAY THEY WOULD ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN BEFORE YOUR SCORES ARE RELEASED. When did you take your exam?

Just think that 20 years from now when we all go through a messy divorce, midlife crisis, muddle through a lawsuit, or a mistress says she's pregnant- we will look back on this day and laugh...

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did CK on July 31st. It was horrible, I seriously think that I failed. A lot of confusing qs, 2 possible correct answers. I used uworld, I did Uwsa 1 and got a 259, Uwsa 237, 2NBME: 241-232. Did uworld Qbank: 81%. But I felt the exam was nothing like those practice I did.
I got 232 on step 1, IMG so I am really scared, worried and a kind of sad about this exam...

Reactions: 1 users
I did CK on July 31st. It was horrible, I seriously think that I failed. A lot of confusing qs, 2 possible correct answers. I used uworld, I did Uwsa 1 and got a 259, Uwsa 237, 2NBME: 241-232. Did uworld Qbank: 81%. But I felt the exam was nothing like those practice I did.
I got 232 on step 1, IMG so I am really scared, worried and a kind of sad about this exam...

Me too... My Uworld % was wayyy lower than yours.
I did only UWSAs (both 243).
Feel the same way. Step 1: 239.

I was wondering the same thing! Took it Aug 4th. I'm guessing that this is what they were referring to when they stated that they were changing the test pool. Last year the surgeon general and NBME decided to include military medicine in the curriculum for step 2. Hopefully they were experimental. I was expecting lots of ob/gyn questions so I studied them like crazy, but nope: 50 percent of my vignettes were either related to military medicine or geriatrics. I never want to treat geriatric patients now. Ever.
Also WTF IS with all the US Army, Navy, and Marines on this exam? The questions didn't even have anything to do with that most of the time lol.

Uworld for me was around 75-78, step 1 230, uwsa 245 this time around and I felt exactly how you did...it seems like many people felt this way so hopefully this curve is extremely generous

Uworld for me was around 75-78, step 1 230, uwsa 245 this time around and I felt exactly how you did...it seems like many people felt this way so hopefully this curve is extremely generous
No way you failed brah.

My step1 was 252 but my UW % for CK was 67% first pass.

No way you failed brah.

My step1 was 252 but my UW % for CK was 67% first pass.

Exactly.

I started uworld with 57% and cumulative around 65-67.
I did peds separately and got 80-90 but since it wasn't mixed I can't even use it.

4 more days...

Does anybody know the way of checking if you passed without opening this damn PDF? Lol

I just won't bring myself to do it

Reactions: 2 users
Well my ICU rotation has definitely helped to pass the time waiting for my score. Worked like 90 hours this week. Wednesday fast approaches.

Exactly.

I started uworld with 57% and cumulative around 65-67.
I did peds separately and got 80-90 but since it wasn't mixed I can't even use it.

4 more days...

Does anybody know the way of checking if you passed without opening this damn PDF? Lol

I just won't bring myself to do it
emoji81.png

Which pdf
Did you eligibility period already expired?
yes it was already expired

I couldn't find anything past 2012 so I figured I'd ask here.

For those that just took step 2, would you recommend doing uworld throughout M3 or save it until 2 months before the actual exam? My last rotation before dedicated is pretty chill so essentially I have 2 months of dedicated before taking it.

I couldn't find anything past 2012 so I figured I'd ask here.

For those that just took step 2, would you recommend doing uworld throughout M3 or save it until 2 months before the actual exam? My last rotation before dedicated is pretty chill so essentially I have 2 months of dedicated before taking it.
Do at least a pass throughout third year then another two passes during your dedicated.

Have you taken Step 2 yet?

I did two passes of Uworld for step 1 and just felt like the second pass didn't really help.
It's a bit different from Step I because you have shelf exams throughout 3rd year you need to prepare for and those questions are old Step 2 questions so UWorld is by far the best prep to doing well on that. And by the time Step 2 actually rolls around in 10-12 months, you'll have forgotten a lot of things from earlier in the year in Uworld (vs step I where people do up to 2 uworld passes in like 6-8 weeks)

It's a bit different from Step I because you have shelf exams throughout 3rd year you need to prepare for and those questions are old Step 2 questions so UWorld is by far the best prep to doing well on that. And by the time Step 2 actually rolls around in 10-12 months, you'll have forgotten a lot of things from earlier in the year in Uworld (vs step I where people do up to 2 uworld passes in like 6-8 weeks)
fair enough, cheers

fair enough, cheers
ah i misread the other post to which you were responding. I meant going through uworld twice as in once during the year with clerkships and once during dedicated is the general advice for most people.

Going through it 2x during dedicated at the end of the year (aka 3 passes total) is a different story - to that I would say, let your shelf scores during the year and practice tests during your dedicated pass through UWorld dictate that strategy, plus CK is fairly easy to move around if you feel ready earlier. Good luck!

Even if you remember some questions on your second pass, you'll know if you got it right simply because you remember the answer or if you actually remember why. If it isn't "why" then you know to review the question as if you got it wrong anyway. Remember, it's a study tool more than an assessment. Save the Uworld self assessment tests for that, and let Uworld q bank just be a text for review.

Long story short, I'd do Uworld as many times as I can starting now.

Reactions: 3 users
did pretests help out for shelfs at all ?

I'm an IMG so my strategy had to be different, I needed to go through some basics which I don't think you need to do (considering you have shelves etc.).

I was also told by US grads that they used Onlinemeded + UW for shelves and CK and they all passed CK with a really good score.

I haven't gotten my score yet, tho :p we have to wait till Wednesday :p
I just know that I answered many questions on the exam thanks to onlinemeded and their algorithms.

Hello,

I tried to do that and I am freaking out!! It let me proceed until payment, if this is true so I failed

I used online meded and pretest for shelf exams. I did ok but got better throughout the year (70 thru 90).

Step 2 was not a memory test. A lot of questions were about unfamiliar topics, but underlying concepts were not tricky. Almost all questions were about patients which made this exam far easier than its evil forerunner.

I do feel online meded and pretest helped me tremendously. My opinion is not popular though--as I abandoned UWorld halfway thru M3. I felt it was so heavy on details that it was next to impossible to read the questions and think about real patients. My scores improved within a few weeks.

Hi everyone please help me here I need your guidance. So I ended my uw at 87% a few days ago. Did uwsa1 on June 15th and got a 236. I did uwsa2 about a month and half ago and was very nervous as I was attempting it a day before my proposed date of test but I eventually cancelled my appointment. On uwsa2 I got a 220 was very nervous and in the end looked up a few explanations after I did it. I didn't look at any explanations of uwsa1. Now I have my exam on 11th September. Can I do uwsa1 again as I didnt look at any explanations, also which nbme should I take so that I get an idea where I stand? What do you guys think am I ready to take the exam on 11th or not? Please suggest

I'm going to see how helpful it was in a few days, but I liked the videos at 2X if I just wanted a quick refresher but since I had OB and Peds early I did those Q-banks. Thought the explanations there were helpful.

BUT, UW trumps all, and I'm hoping I score around my 2 UWSAs...

Last edited:
videos or qbank and stuff? which one is helpful? which videos are helpful in real deal to answer?

Read notes first, watch videos next and review notes 1-2 days later (questions in between).

I used Uworld and didn't have time for Onlinemeded question bank.
Hard to tell which ones exactly. I would say all of them.
The way their notes and videos are constructed is amazing. It makes it so easy to study.
I supplemented with Uworld (which helped me as well, I had a few questions that were almost identical).

I have not gotten my result yet, though. So... I might tell you more on Wed

Last edited: