USC Applicants, Students, Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everybody,

I was wondering if any of you applying to USC or current USC students know when the deadline for the FAFSA is. I read on the USC website that the postmark deadline is today, but it just needs to be received by the 23rd. So I'm wondering if you file it online, you don't need to file it until next Friday, right? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm.... When I called USC 2 days ago, I asked the lady if we absolutely HAD to get FAFSA in by Feb 16th and she said no, since the actual deadline is March 2. However, since many states have the deadline around that time, it's better to turn in everything as early as possible to avoid processing delays and potential server crashes--that's what she told me. However, just to be safe, I submitted FAFSA yesterday online and got the USC Fin Aid Form postmarked this morning.

Hmm.... When I called USC 2 days ago, I asked the lady if we absolutely HAD to get FAFSA in by Feb 16th and she said no, since the actual deadline is March 2. However, since many states have the deadline around that time, it's better to turn in everything as early as possible to avoid processing delays and potential server crashes--that's what she told me. However, just to be safe, I submitted FAFSA yesterday online and got the USC Fin Aid Form postmarked this morning.

The Graduate Supplemental form for Financial Aid says postmarked today, received by 2/23/07 (I faxed mine at 6pm to the fax number at the bottom of said form), that's not the same as FAFSA though. Yes, you can file FAFSA online. You can use estimates. FAQ section is very informative and quicker than most questions will be answered here;)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone!

I'm reading USC financial aid website information and I'm not sure if the text below refers to the same form, and if so, why are the deadlines different?

1. USC Supplemental Financial Aid Form for Graduate and Professional Students
The completed form should be submitted directly to the USC School of Pharmacy Financial Aid Office by February 16th.

2. The USC Supplemental Financial Aid Form for graduate students is due on February 23, 2007. This document must be turned in to the Office of Admission and Student Affairs.

Thanks!

For those who submitted their deposit: did the school email you any confirmation? Thanks :)

Yup they'll send you a email and congratulate u in being part of the trojan family!!!

I"M TOUCHIN THE SKY!

Has anyone received invitation to the march 17th interview yet? or is it too early? :p

i actually found that the deadlines are very flexible. my first year i submitted my fafsa AFTER march 2nd, and still had no problems. so i think they have that deadline to be safe, but it is not set in stone.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/requirements.html#Economics

it says

Calculus (for science majors only)
General Chemistry with lab (for science majors only)
Organic Chemistry with lab (for science majors only) variable
Physics with lab (for science majors only)
General Biology (for science majors only)

does this mean i don't have to take any of them cuz im not a science major?

http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/requirements.html#Economics

it says

I can see why you would think that... But that's pretty funny... :laugh:
It means that you have to take the calculus course, general chem, o chem, physics, and bio that are designated for science majors. It has nothing to do with what your major is... It's just that don't accept non-major courses! :) Let me know if you have any further question!

I can see why you would think that... But that's pretty funny... :laugh:
It means that you have to take the calculus course, general chem, o chem, physics, and bio that are designated for science majors. It has nothing to do with what your major is... It's just that don't accept non-major courses! :) Let me know if you have any further question!

For instance they have Calculus for Business majors. (not acceptable)
Chemistry for Teaching Credentials (Not acceptable)
You have to be very careful if you're not familiar with which ones are for science majors. Defininitely check their articualtion tables if you aren't sure.

it says

LOL :laugh: , yeah i totally thought the same thing too when I first saw it and felt sorry for being a science major. but I checked with the adm counselors and what saran and farmercyst is correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha yea that makes more sense

it sounded off, but i couldn't think of the any other possible meaning til you guys clarified haha

Hey, did any of the accepted students that paid the deposit get a phone call today? I was in class so I couldn't answer my phone, but I got a voicemail from a P1 student congratulating me and tell me to let her know if I have any questions. Seems very nice of them to do that, although I really don't have many questions for them. Just kind of surprising and random.

Hey, did any of the accepted students that paid the deposit get a phone call today? I was in class so I couldn't answer my phone, but I got a voicemail from a P1 student congratulating me and tell me to let her know if I have any questions. Seems very nice of them to do that, although I really don't have many questions for them. Just kind of surprising and random.

Yep. Its part of something we do here at USC for the new incoming class. Kinda nice I think. Did she tell you about the Welcome Reception in April? Anyways, congrats :thumbup:

Yep. Its part of something we do here at USC for the new incoming class. Kinda nice I think. Did she tell you about the Welcome Reception in April? Anyways, congrats :thumbup:

No, I didn't call her back. I wouldn't be able to attend anyways since I'm not in California, but I remember my classmates all going to it last year so I guess I'll be missing out. Maybe I'll call her back later this week, I'm pretty busy with two midterms in the next two days.

Yeah, I heard. I bet we're thinking of the same person. I was at the Feb interview and she's a friend of mine; luckily my prof was a nice one. Anyways, I've heard from previous interviewees that some interviewers will do that just to see if you can handle pressure, which is illogical considering the fact that the point of an interview is to assess your communication skills and get to know the real you, not the freaked-out, almost-about-to-have-a heart-attack you.

The good news is I've heard of countless people who thought that they did terribly but ended up getting offered an admission to USC. The down side to that is, the people who were told they had a good interview, have been put on the active consideration list (see some of the interview feedback). So the point is, just do your homework before the interview, keep your composure during the interview (dont cry!!!), and keep your hopes up afterward. After all, all you can really control is how you respond and react during your interviews. Everything else is up to the admission committee.

Wait... This could very well be me that you two are talking about :rolleyes: Yes, I almost cried at the USC interview but I held my composure. I answered his question about five times giving valid reasonsas to why I would pick pharmacy over med. I felt that he didn't trust me which was quite discouraging. In fact, at one point the student interviewer even defended me. But, at the end the faculty did tell me he was impressed by me... pshhh... yeah first get me to the point of tears and then tell me you're impressed. I don't agree with his way of interviewing. I was so stressed that I was crying as I was writing my essay. As a USC undergraduate student, I really thought that they would be more considerate of their prospective students...

Wait... This could very well be me that you two are talking about :rolleyes: Yes, I almost cried at the USC interview but I held my composure. I answered his question about five times giving valid reasonsas to why I would pick pharmacy over med. I felt that he didn't trust me which was quite discouraging. In fact, at one point the student interviewer even defended me. But, at the end the faculty did tell me he was impressed by me... pshhh... yeah first get me to the point of tears and then tell me you're impressed. I don't agree with his way of interviewing. I was so stressed that I was crying as I was writing my essay. As a USC undergraduate student, I really thought that they would be more considerate of their prospective students...

I've no idea who this professor is, but I think his way of testing you was very valid. Retail customers and some bosses are demanding and unforgiving. Stress in pharmacy is really part of life. You just got to grow a think skin (you probably will at certain point).

But hey, he liked your performance right? =p

I just received an invitation for USC last interview. I am soooooo scared now, what should I do to prepare???????:confused:

I just got mine today too. If you're scared to open them, the interview requests have a campus map you can see through the back of the envelope.:D

3 Interviews, 4 apps, no acceptances, no rejections. Why do I still feel like theres something I'm just not doing right?

Congratulations to those who got the last interview. From SDN, I knew that interview invites went out and so I rushed home yesterday and saw a small envelope from USC and thought, nooo way, I got an interview. Well, little did I know, USC also sent rejections. . .and that's what I got. Boohoo. The letter stated, "when interview selections ended, we still had over 300 applicants who met our basic admission giudelines but were not offered an interview. You are one of the over 300 applicants. We currently had a waitlist of interviewed applicants of approximately 333 applicants. We have admitted 117 candidates for 185 seats. The remaining seats will be filled from out final March 17th, 2007 interview and waitlist. . .seldom have we selected more than four from the waitlist".

I don't know why they bothered to give that much information, but for those still in the game, here it is. Good luck!

We have admitted 117 candidates for 185 seats. The remaining seats will be filled from out final March 17th, 2007 interview and waitlist. . .seldom have we selected more than four from the waitlist".

That means they've already made all their decisions about the 3rd interview people? I guess we should be hearin from them any day now..

interesting.. well goodluck to everyone! I was expecting the people from third interview should have heard by now, maybe its taking a bit longer because they are coming closer to the end.

jesterman, thanks for much for that info, although I'm sad you won't be able to join some of us on the 17th. I hope you get into another school asap. As for me, I've already been rejected to 2 of my schools, which is rather depressing. I'm trying to not get my hopes up for USC....

jesterman, thanks for much for that info, although I'm sad you won't be able to join some of us on the 17th. I hope you get into another school asap. As for me, I've already been rejected to 2 of my schools, which is rather depressing. I'm trying to not get my hopes up for USC....

good luck to all

No, I didn't call her back. I wouldn't be able to attend anyways since I'm not in California, but I remember my classmates all going to it last year so I guess I'll be missing out. Maybe I'll call her back later this week, I'm pretty busy with two midterms in the next two days.

I just found out that i cannot attend either bc the reception is on a tuesday. for ppl in california, ppl would either have to get ditch class or work to attend so why would the reception be on a weekday? it doesn't make much sense to me. I would love to fly down and go if they all landed on a weekend.

The remaining seats will be filled from out final March 17th, 2007 interview and waitlist. . .seldom have we selected more than four from the waitlist".

"seldom select more than four from the waitlist..so does that mean out of the 333+ waitlisted ppl, less than 4 ppl will actually be pulled from that long waitlist..??

"seldom select more than four from the waitlist..so does that mean out of the 333+ waitlisted ppl, less than 4 ppl will actually be pulled from that long waitlist..??

Oh I'm sure they pull a lot more than that. A lot of people are now getting accepted to UCSD, UCSF, and other schools and will be pulling out for those reasons. Or maybe most of these people will let USC know before they start compiling the official waitlist. Then USC will just pull active consideration listers and hope that more people won't be pulling out late in the game.

Hey, for those who had USC interview on Feb 17, have you received anything yet? I thought we should expect something within 2 weeks, but I havn't received anything..., i guess that means that i'm on the waiting list?

if you are on the waiting list then so am I...I interviewed Feb 10th and still have not heard anything. I am not too sure if anyone has heard yet.

Hey, for those who had USC interview on Feb 17, have you received anything yet? I thought we should expect something within 2 weeks, but I havn't received anything..., i guess that means that i'm on the waiting list?

i pretty sure nobody else has heard from them yet, so hang in there, it doesn't mean you have been waitlisted. I think we'll hear by the end of this week, they've been busy sending out invites for the last interview.

Thank you for that. I will most likely be attending WesternU in the Fall. I gotten 3 rejections and it sure is depressing, but for me, I've always felt that events happen in my life for a reason, and even the "bad" ones turn out to be blessings in disguise. Good luck on the 17th. It sounds like they have plenty of seats left for that interview slot so chances are good. Go show them what you got and knock their socks off!

Thank you for that. I will most likely be attending WesternU in the Fall. I gotten 3 rejections and it sure is depressing, but for me, I've always felt that events happen in my life for a reason, and even the "bad" ones turn out to be blessings in disguise. Good luck on the 17th. It sounds like they have plenty of seats left for that interview slot so chances are good. Go show them what you got and knock their socks off!

Thanks alot! I'm waiting on a reply from my Feb 24th interview for Western U, so you never know. We might even be classmates...:D

I wonder what could possibly be taking USC so long with the Feb 10 interviews, maybe they are making FINAL decision on everyone in both FEB interviews and then re-evaluating everyone they put on alternate list in November and January, I expect (hopefully) a flood of news these coming weeks (hopefully good news :rolleyes:)

After you've been invited for an interview, you send the written statement via email, right?? I just wanted to make sure. Thanks you guys.

After you've been invited for an interview, you send the written statement via email, right?? I just wanted to make sure. Thanks you guys.

yes. and you should get a reply with something along the line of "your interview date has been confirmed."

yes. and you should get a reply with something along the line of "your interview date has been confirmed."

thankyou, lily! I'm procrastinating again.......:p

thankyou, lily! I'm procrastinating again.......:p

haha, yeah same here. I'm going around answering people's question just so I can say that I'm doing something, instead of looking for a job like i'm suppose to :D good luck on your interview, I bet you're super excited right?

I was just completely surprised to get an interview at all. I really didn't expect one from USC considering I had everything postmarked Nov 1. Plus, my supplemental was sloppy written-definitely not anywhere near being my best work. Ah, who needs to question them now right? I'm gonna try my best on this. I hope I can meet some SDNers this time around. I actually asked someone at my last interview if he was on student doctor and he had no idea what I was talking about. I felt really nerdy....... :p

what's up with the people that interviewed in november? does that mean they're rejected or still on the waitlist.

I've no idea who this professor is, but I think his way of testing you was very valid. Retail customers and some bosses are demanding and unforgiving. Stress in pharmacy is really part of life. You just got to grow a think skin (you probably will at certain point).

But hey, he liked your performance right? =p

There's a difference between stress in the work environment and being asked the same question three times in an interview... It's wasn't a matter of stress. It was a matter of distrust.

I was just completely surprised to get an interview at all. I really didn't expect one from USC considering I had everything postmarked Nov 1. Plus, my supplemental was sloppy written-definitely not anywhere near being my best work. Ah, who needs to question them now right? I'm gonna try my best on this. I hope I can meet some SDNers this time around. I actually asked someone at my last interview if he was on student doctor and he had no idea what I was talking about. I felt really nerdy....... :p

Same here.:)
I didn't expect to get one from USC since I submitted my supp in the last minute.
They didn't send any confimation until February.
Then, the first notice was one of my transcript was missing, so I needed to send another one 4 months after I sent my application.
The second notice was to send supp financial aid application, even though I didn't know if I would interview or not.
Finally, they offered interview for the last session..surprised!

Oh, and I'm a little confused about their location.
They said in the letter, "note that we are not located at the University Park Avenue.." sounds like pharmacy building is far away from main campus?

Will you drive? If so, where are you gonna park? I worry about parking in the downtown...:confused:

Same here.:)
I didn't expect to get one from USC since I submitted my supp in the last minute.
They didn't send any confimation until February.
Then, the first notice was one of my transcript was missing, so I needed to send another one 4 months after I sent my application.
The second notice was to send supp financial aid application, even though I didn't know if I would interview or not.
Finally, they offered interview for the last session..surprised!

Oh, and I'm a little confused about their location.
They said in the letter, "note that we are not located at the University Park Avenue.." sounds like pharmacy building is far away from main campus?

Will you drive? If so, where are you gonna park? I worry about parking in the downtown...:confused:

We have two campuses: one is the main campus known as the University Park Campus and the other one is the health science campus, which is where you will be interviewing at. these two campuses are about 20 mins apart. I suggest you mapquest the address they gave you in the letter so you know exactly how to get there. there's limited meter parking on biggy st (I think that's the name) so i parked in the parking structure next to the school. congrats on your interview! let me know if you have any other question.

In addition to what lily83 wrote, there is also parking on the side street that is across of the pharmacy building. Right next to the big white hospital parking lot is a street (Charlotte St, which curves and turns into N. Cummings St) that has metered parking. It wasn't hard finding a spot when I went, just make sure to bring change. You shouldn't be there longer than 2 hours, unless you arrive extra early.

In fact, the directions they give you (if you're coming from the 10 freeway) says to go on Charlotte St, then turn right on Zonal Ave. Just go straight instead on Charlotte St up the hill and it will curve to the right and meet Zonal Ave anyways, and you'll be on the street with parking.

We have two campuses: one is the main campus known as the University Park Campus and the other one is the health science campus, which is where you will be interviewing at. these two campuses are about 20 mins apart. I suggest you mapquest the address they gave you in the letter so you know exactly how to get there. there's limited meter parking on biggy st (I think that's the name) so i parked in the parking structure next to the school. congrats on your interview! let me know if you have any other question.

The instructions are on the interview letter. It says bring $7.00 if you use the parking structure. I'm assuming metered parking is 0.25 for either 10 or 15 min. Worst case scenario, if it's for 10 min that's only $3. I'll be driving in from San Bernardino. It'll take me 1 1/2 hours if there's no traffic. I plan on leaving by 7:00am just to play it safe.

The instructions are on the interview letter. It says bring $7.00 if you use the parking structure. I'm assuming metered parking is 0.25 for either 10 or 15 min. Worst case scenario, if it's for 10 min that's only $3. I'll be driving in from San Bernardino. It'll take me 1 1/2 hours if there's no traffic. I plan on leaving by 7:00am just to play it safe.

actually, it's a quarter for ONE ENTIRE HOUR! so no need to worry about the meter guys. also, there's plenty of parking.

The parking guy let me into the structure for free. Who said there were no advantages to being blonde?

Status
Not open for further replies.