USC Applicants, Students, Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone! I am currently a USC undergrad and am planning on applying to USC Pharmacy for the Fall 2008 semester. I just wanted to know if anyone could give me some feedback on things I should do to prepare. For those of you who got accepted, what do you think contributed to you being accepted (GPA, volunteer exp, interview, etc.)? I just want any helpful information as I stress for the next 7 months or so!!! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey you guys, are you all ready for this weekend's interview?! :) I'm pretty excited for it, although I'm definitely pretty nervous about what type of interviewers I will be with (intimidating, welcoming, etc). I'll be flying out to CA tomorrow afternoon so I probably won't be on SDN much, so good luck! I'm in the 11:40am group, so maybe I'll see you guys there!

good luck everybody, do your best, i'm nervous also, but i will try to make the best of it as best as i can. 9:35 interview

Members don't see this ad :)
i hope all went well for you guys today! :thumbup:

Is it true that it takes them 4-5 weeks to decide on the applicant? If I remember correctly those that interviewed on Nov 18th found out the second week of December or so... :confused:

i think normally it takes 3-4 weeks.. that's how long it took for me last year. it's slightly variable but you should find out by the middle of February, i imagine.

Well, just give it anywhere from 4-5 weeks. I'm pretty sure it might take a while though because they'll not only be busy with reviewing the January interviewees but also with preparing for the February session and sending out invitations for the March session. I'm sure we'll find out during the week of the 18th or a little after.

I know there aren't too many who were at the 01/20 interview, but what did you guys think? I had a much better impression of USC than I expected, it wasn't as stressful a process as I expected. And hello if you were in the 1140 group :D

I had a really good impression of the school as well! I think its my top choice now that I've been rejected from UCSF. Agh! I just hope I get accepted, I feel that my interview went well but my writing sample was sloppy, I wonder if they take points off for having legible but sloppy handwriting, I was just so focused on trying to make sure I finished in time. I also was worried about having more than 5 words on each line so I only wrote 4 words on 8 lines and triple checked lol.. also made sure I didn't write coherent sentences, just words. It was easy but I was also worried because it was easy to mess up as well...

Hi all! I'm gonna be a greeter at the Feburary interview. So if anyone wants to ask any question about the school, fire away and I'll see you there. I'm excited to meet you all since I'll be in class of 2011 =)

Well, just give it anywhere from 4-5 weeks. I'm pretty sure it might take a while though because they'll not only be busy with reviewing the January interviewees but also with preparing for the February session and sending out invitations for the March session. I'm sure we'll find out during the week of the 18th or a little after.

I know there aren't too many who were at the 01/20 interview, but what did you guys think? I had a much better impression of USC than I expected, it wasn't as stressful a process as I expected. And hello if you were in the 1140 group :D

hey, i was in the 11:40 group on 01/20 too. haha. nice meeting you on SDN. I really liked the school too. it is definitely my top choice. I am getting so nervous waiting for the result. I think my interview went very well, the interviewers seemed very interested in my experiences. The only thing i am very worried about is my GPA, its probably on the low end. I only had 3.3, and it went down a little after fall semester ended. Do they weigh GPA heavily?

Hii everyone! I went to USC for undergrad (Fight onnn!) and have an interview on 2/10 (Fight on even moree!)... So hopefully I will see some of you there! I feel that USC interviews lots of people and puts most on the waitlist...any feedback??

The interview for me was very laid back, I guess it all depends on who your interviewer is. The essay was pretty easy but I also felt that it was easy to mess up and I was really paranoid the entire time I would spell something wrong or not have enough time to proofread.

The interview for me was very laid back, I guess it all depends on who your interviewer is. The essay was pretty easy but I also felt that it was easy to mess up and I was really paranoid the entire time I would spell something wrong or not have enough time to proofread.

i heard for the essay, they want to check if you follow the directions moreso than the content (along w/ grammar and spelling and things like that)

and yes, only 15-20% are accepted from 3-4th sessions. the rest usually goes on the waitlists but some do get off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found out that USC never even knew I had earned a Bachelor's Degree (Jim Granderson sent me an e-mail). My UCI transcript didn't indicate I had earned one so USC asked me to send a new transcript. This might improve my chances for admission as I am currently on the active consideration list!

anyone got financial aid forms from USC?
Does that mean you got accepted? I mean why would they send it to you if you're not going to be accepted? IT would be a waste of paper! :D

Sorry loneranger... getting the financial aid letter does not mean you are accepted yet. I got the financial aid letter last year without even interviewing.

I got a letter from USC too today thinking it could be an acceptance, but alas, it was only the financial aid letter.

Well I guess it would make sense that they send them to everyone because most people apply for fin. aid before even recieving acceptances, and USC waitlists so many people

Glad I didn't check my mail today though.. that fin. aid mail letter would have tricked me as well..

I found out that USC never even knew I had earned a Bachelor's Degree (Jim Granderson sent me an e-mail). My UCI transcript didn't indicate I had earned one so USC asked me to send a new transcript. This might improve my chances for admission as I am currently on the active consideration list!

I was in the same situation last year, active consideration, then once i sent my transcript w/ bachelor's degree, i received an "acceptance" call the next week. Good luck!:thumbup:

does anyone kno when USC starts accepting and rejecting people on active consideration?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if USC knows about the decisions earliar than 4 weeks to a month or not. The reason I ask is I had my interview on 1-20-07 so 4 weeks to a month will be coming up in about 2 weeks or so. My dilemma is I just got accepted to Touro so I need to give my 2000 deposit within the next 2 weeks. I had a really good impression of USC so I'd like to know if I got in before making the final choice, anyone know if calling them or emailing them will help or will they just ignore it and go along with sending out acceptances as scheduled.

Thanks.

Hey awrar, I actually had my interview in November and I believe the results came in 3 and a half weeks. But i've heard some people on this forum get it like a day or two later so 4 weeks is a good estimate. I highly highly doubt they will let u know your decision earlier than that. maybe you can call Touro and ask for an extension on the deposit? I'm not sure if it will work but you can give it a try.

does anyone kno when USC starts accepting and rejecting people on active consideration?

USC will still accept those on active consideration up to orientation week. They'll send out your exact posistion on the wait list around May, and top 25 usually makes it. But they can and do accept active considerees any time. Goodluck!:)

Hey guys,

I was wondering if USC knows about the decisions earliar than 4 weeks to a month or not. The reason I ask is I had my interview on 1-20-07 so 4 weeks to a month will be coming up in about 2 weeks or so. My dilemma is I just got accepted to Touro so I need to give my 2000 deposit within the next 2 weeks. I had a really good impression of USC so I'd like to know if I got in before making the final choice, anyone know if calling them or emailing them will help or will they just ignore it and go along with sending out acceptances as scheduled.

Thanks.

I got mine in about 2 weeks. It really varies. I've heard anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks.

I got an interview on 11/18/06, it was actually one nerve-wracking experience. I mentioned a couple of my ideas on how pharmacy can improve in the future (yah, always expect such question), and I kinda brought up the technology portion into the picture, and the professor kinda attacked my point with "oh, so you are saying that pharmacists can be replaced by machines? If the government does not reimburse you on the new technology that you employ, you gonna put the pharmacists out of job?" You can imagine that I went blank on the spot. :oops: If you happen to be asked this kind of problem, just make sure to mention that what the pharmacists do can not be replaced by machines. Patient-consultation, pharmacist recommendation of medications, bla bla bla ~~ these can not be replaced by technology.
Well, long story short, I think I sucked, but I got accepted 4 weeks later. So I guess GPA played a big role. Um... end of story~ good luck guys. :p

My roommates and I are all moving to LA area at the end of June, so I was wondering where would be a good place to live with 2 room /2 bath, 3 parking, plus safe environment, and all that jazz~? I've been looking into Pasadena, temple city, Alhambra, and culver city... which one would you suggest? Thanx.

haha, thanks for the post, k. Sorry for the messages. But congrats! :D

For housing in LA, I'm guessing you're looking at places near USC HSC? I would suggest Alhambra, Monterey Park, South Pasadena, or Glendale. Or further out, but you'd be fighting more traffic.

My roommates and I are all moving to LA area at the end of June, so I was wondering where would be a good place to live with 2 room /2 bath, 3 parking, plus safe environment, and all that jazz~? I've been looking into Pasadena, temple city, Alhambra, and culver city... which one would you suggest? Thanx.

Maybe South Pasadena, Altadena or Glendale? I don't know if they're anybetter, but they may be just as close and/or reasonable

I got an interview on 11/18/06, it was actually one nerve-wracking experience. I mentioned a couple of my ideas on how pharmacy can improve in the future (yah, always expect such question), and I kinda brought up the technology portion into the picture, and the professor kinda attacked my point with "oh, so you are saying that pharmacists can be replaced by machines? If the government does not reimburse you on the new technology that you employ, you gonna put the pharmacists out of job?" You can imagine that I went blank on the spot. :oops: If you happen to be asked this kind of problem, just make sure to mention that what the pharmacists do can not be replaced by machines. Patient-consultation, pharmacist recommendation of medications, bla bla bla ~~ these can not be replaced by technology.
Well, long story short, I think I sucked, but I got accepted 4 weeks later. So I guess GPA played a big role. Um... end of story~ good luck guys. :p

just wondering - were you on active consideration?

i would try finding a place in alhambra because it's a lot cheaper than south pas or pasadena. A few people here are living in monterey hills, which is close to campus (but it might be a bit more expensive than alhambra). there's also a bunch of us living in the dorms (including me!)

I would suggest Alhambra. It's fairly cheap (compared to other places) and fairly close to school. Also, since most people live in the Alhambra area, it'll be convenient when you hang out with friends and whatnot...

To those interviewing on Saturday, good luck!

It's forecasted to rain on Sat. To be on the safe side, leave your house 5-10mins. before the time you had originally planned! Good luck everyone!!

I'm on active consideration for USC and I'm married. So, when I fill out their Graduate Supplemental Financial Aid Form, do I need to mail my parents' information and tax return? I'm an independent and my parents are in another country... Thanks.

I'm on active consideration for USC and I'm married. So, when I fill out their Graduate Supplemental Financial Aid Form, do I need to mail my parents' information and tax return? I'm an independent and my parents are in another country... Thanks.

I plan to call them later today, but it doesn't seem like there's any exception to that. I'm 29, married, 2 kids. About as independent as you can be considered, but it says even if you're independent they want parent info. Your parents, unless they're expats or in the military overseas, probably won't be filing US taxes, which means you need the Parent not Filing form as well. (Unsure of the name, but that's the gist of the document.) I started working on mine last night. My parents are gonna have a cow when I ask them for their info.

Anyone else still not get anything, got the mail today and I'm still in the dark about my app status, I interviewed on the 20th of January.

Just got my acceptance letter today! I interviewed 11/18, was put on "active consideration," and today got accepted.

Just got my acceptance letter today! I interviewed 11/18, was put on "active consideration," and today got accepted.

Congrats Pharm47 again!! Wow, you're getting acceptances left and right. Decisions, decisions.....I wish I had such choices. :D

seles, pharm47, and coffeelover-

congrats u guys!

hey so thats 3 ppl from November who got pulled of active consideration? i thought the letter told us only 2 got pulled off?

Anyone else still not get anything, got the mail today and I'm still in the dark about my app status, I interviewed on the 20th of January.

PolarBear21,

You are not alone. I live in NorCal and I am still waiting for the mail. I also interviewed on the 20th of Jan.
If they sent out the letters on 2/6, then I think it should be these days.
Hopefully tomorrow.

seles, pharm47, and coffeelover-

congrats u guys!

hey so thats 3 ppl from November who got pulled of active consideration? i thought the letter told us only 2 got pulled off?

Hmm I'm not sure. I don't remember any letter like that. Maybe it missed me.

Bah I'm not in my aparmtent right now..

What size were the letters? Acceptances were large envelopes and waitlist was small?

Hmm I'm not sure. I don't remember any letter like that. Maybe it missed me.

Only people that are on the active consideration list (like me) got the letter with the statistics. I guess USC lied..they did accept more ppl in the Nov interview. I'm just waiting til the UCSF acceptances come along. By then, we'll have about a 50% chance of getting in.

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to everyone still waiting.

i got a call from a usc student last friday congratulating me on my acceptance to USC. She also informed me about the welcome reception in april. Did anybody get a similar call? I suppose we'll be getting mail notices about this pretty soon. Does anybody have more information on this such as date and time?

Im not sure if i can go since I have work. Anyone else going?

i got a call from a usc student last friday congratulating me on my acceptance to USC. She also informed me about the welcome reception in april. Did anybody get a similar call? I suppose we'll be getting mail notices about this pretty soon. Does anybody have more information on this such as date and time?

I didn't get the call. I didn't know there was going to be a reception in April. Cool.

For those who interviewed at USC in Feb, how did your interview go? I heard from a friend that her professor was extremely mean...almost made her cry.

For those who interviewed at USC in Feb, how did your interview go? I heard from a friend that her professor was extremely mean...almost made her cry.

My friend said his professor was really mean! He asked him Why Pharmacy? six times and only gave one word answers to the questions my friend asked!

I hate when interviewers try to put on this intimidating performance and a cold demeanor, like were suppose to be afraid. What's the purpose? To see if we could respond under pressure? I think it takes away from the real interview process, which is actually getting to know the student. Show some facial expressions so that at least these expressions could signal the student to step up their game with the questions, or be more clear & coherent. I almost actually walked out from an interview because I didn't like the fact that the interviewer was being condescending, smircking, and asking me questions irrelevant to pharmacy or who I am.

I hate when interviewers try to put on this intimidating performance and a cold demeanor, like were suppose to be afraid. What's the purpose? To see if we could respond under pressure? I think it takes away from the real interview process, which is actually getting to know the student. Show some facial expressions so that at least these expressions could signal the student to step up their game with the questions, or be more clear & coherent. I almost actually walked out from an interview because I didn't like the fact that the interviewer was being condescending, smircking, and asking me questions irrelevant to pharmacy or who I am.

USC has been known to have these kind of interviewers. I had one too. First, they asked me what the names of the pharmacists I volunteered with 1 year ago. I was nervous during the interview and totally went blank. Then they asked me a science question because I took a pharmacology class, like what does this specific drug(chemical name) do? I took the class 5 months ago. The student and faculty member kept looking at each other like I was stupid or something. The faculty member stared at me like I was a liar. Finally near the end, the student rummaged through his pants pocket and pulled out his cell phone to look at the time and told me the interview time limit was reached. I don't know if he did this on purpose or not but I was ticked off! Afterwards, I heard other students had nice interviewers. That made me even more ticked off.

I went to the welcoming reception with a friend last year and it was really fun. We met with the dean and some of the staff. They talked about the school, financial aid, etc. Then the students were separated from their guests so that the incoming students can ask the current students anything they were dying to know about USC. Then we met up again to mingle with staff and students over some food and desserts. A lot of the new students got to meet their classmates for the first time and they exchanged contact info. It's not mandatory to attend but it would be fun if you could make it.

Yeah, I heard. I bet we're thinking of the same person. I was at the Feb interview and she's a friend of mine; luckily my prof was a nice one. Anyways, I've heard from previous interviewees that some interviewers will do that just to see if you can handle pressure, which is illogical considering the fact that the point of an interview is to assess your communication skills and get to know the real you, not the freaked-out, almost-about-to-have-a heart-attack you.

The good news is I've heard of countless people who thought that they did terribly but ended up getting offered an admission to USC. The down side to that is, the people who were told they had a good interview, have been put on the active consideration list (see some of the interview feedback). So the point is, just do your homework before the interview, keep your composure during the interview (dont cry!!!), and keep your hopes up afterward. After all, all you can really control is how you respond and react during your interviews. Everything else is up to the admission committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.