USC Applicants, Students, Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USCPharmD09

PharmD Candidate 2009
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post anything USC! :)

Members don't see this ad.

ilostmyspacebar said:
anything USC? I WANT AN INTERVIEW!!!! =)

well there is one more session coming up in march....actually i will be there helping out so i'll probably see some of you there! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I LOVE USC, but i've been snubbed by them. "Active Consideration" means "rejection" to me! Only in my wildest dream will USC remove me from that list.

meesathuy said:
I LOVE USC, but i've been snubbed by them. "Active Consideration" means "rejection" to me! Only in my wildest dream will USC remove me from that list.

actually that is really not true. this is coming from someone who was on active consideration for MONTHS and finally got in!! there are only 4 interview sessions, and they only accept 40 students each time. overall they accept ~250, and ~60 end up going to other schools. so don';t lose hope!!

TrojanAnteater said:
I liked our renal course in undergrad, but Lubman's packet is killing me.

yeah i know, i really need to do well on this exam...esp since i messed up the last one.

USCPharmD09 said:
actually that is really not true. this is coming from someone who was on active consideration for MONTHS and finally got in!! there are only 4 interview sessions, and they only accept 40 students each time. overall they accept ~250, and ~60 end up going to other schools. so don';t lose hope!!

Actually, the number of acceptances per interview session varies. According to the letters USC sent out back in December, 65 students who were interviewed during the November interviews were offered acceptances and 85 students were placed on active consideration.

Awww TrojanAnteater - I thought you were the king of renal physio..

ultracet said:
i hate steve spurrier....

We're talking about the REAL USC here- University of Southern California..

But if your post was a joke thats actually pretty funny :D

I hate steve spurrier too.

TrojanAnteater said:
We're talking about the REAL USC here- University of Southern California..

But if your post was a joke thats actually pretty funny :D

I hate steve spurrier too.
Yeah, the REAL #2 team in the nation :smuggrin:

longhorns.gif

Abilify said:
Yeah, the REAL #2 team in the nation :smuggrin:

longhorns.gif

yeah yeah, congrats, you finally won another one, hope you guys are enjoying it over there.

PS- what was up with Vince Young being the only player not wearing a suit at the white house??? :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
ultracet said:
too bad you're not the REAL UT! :smuggrin:
yeah yeah...we all know the University of Toledo is the REAL UT :smuggrin:

meesathuy said:
well, actually they do remove people from the active consideration list. I am a prime example....

How is the housing situation at USC? Are the dorms nice? Clean? Do the rooms have their own bathroom, or is it community? It's been a while since I've had a roommate... :scared:

USCPharmD09 said:
yeah i know, i really need to do well on this exam...esp since i messed up the last one.

haha, i'm sure u r not the only one! just hang in there!

I've been accepted to USC and a few other schools and I'm trying to make an informed decision about where to attend pharm school.

So for current USC students, if you could help me answer questions about the program, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know the class size is a little less than 200 students, so do all the students attend class together in a lecture hall or are there separate times for the same class with less students? How big are labs?

How are your relationships with your professors and are they accessible?

Do students do groupwork and have group discussions?

Thanks! :)

Artster01 said:
I've been accepted to USC and a few other schools and I'm trying to make an informed decision about where to attend pharm school.

So for current USC students, if you could help me answer questions about the program, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know the class size is a little less than 200 students, so do all the students attend class together in a lecture hall or are there separate times for the same class with less students? How big are labs?

first of all congrats on you acceptance!!
yes the class is pretty big, but everyone has the same schedule so it's not like undergrad where its really easy to go the whole semester not knowing anyone. here everyone has the opportunity to know everyone. we have class in a lecture hall, but there are also opportunities to work in groups of about ~10 people. also the first year we dont really have labs, except for the pharmacy practice and experience class where we learn to do bp, cholest, diabetes testing, and also our immunization lab. but most of the time you will be spending in the lecture hall. as for the professors, it is really up to you whether you want to get to know your professors, although some of them amazingly seem to know each student and how they are doing in the class (dr. ann!). also there are many organizations on campus where you can develop some relationships with your classmates, and with the upper levels as well. hope this helps...

Artster01 said:

first of all congrats on you acceptance!!
yes the class is pretty big, but everyone has the same schedule so it's not like undergrad where its really easy to go the whole semester not knowing anyone. here everyone has the opportunity to know everyone. we have class in a lecture hall, but there are also opportunities to work in groups of about ~10 people. also the first year we dont really have labs, except for the pharmacy practice and experience class where we learn to do bp, cholest, diabetes testing, and also our immunization lab. but most of the time you will be spending in the lecture hall. as for the professors, it is really up to you whether you want to get to know your professors, although some of them amazingly seem to know each student and how they are doing in the class (dr. ann!). and there are also many organizations on campus where you can develop relationships with your classmates as well as the upper levels. hope this helps.

oinky628 said:
How is the housing situation at USC? Are the dorms nice? Clean? Do the rooms have their own bathroom, or is it community? It's been a while since I've had a roommate... :scared:

there is a residence hall for the hsc students, and it depends on which kind of room you apply for...you might have to share a bathroom with the room next to you. i dont live in the dorms, but i've visited my friends a couple times, and it's not THAT bad. i mean the rooms come with a mini fridge and microwave, which is cool. but its still a dorm, if you know what i mean. :p

Artster01 said:

Yes 99% of the time we all attend class together, in the same lecture hall every morning. The only exception 1st year is that there is 1 class that is split up into 3, 4-week rotations during a semester. 60 students total are in each rotation and 30 of them attend the class on monday, and 30 on tuesday.

We don't really have many labs that I know of, and none of them are ongoing the entire semester. We had a few here or there at the very beginning of the year, to learn how to do fingersticks (1 session), and shots (1 session [while you get certified to do immunizations]), and we have a compounding lab this semester which I think is only a few meetings.

Artster01 said:

The professors are VERY accessible, and for the most part they are pretty good people that seem to care about the students.

Artster01 said:

There is very little forced group work or group discussions. In that rotation class I was talking about, it is basically a 30 student discussion on various things, and you have to do these minor group presentations a few times (very easy). Also first semester in pharmaceutics 1 you have to do a case study which lasts about 3 to 4 weeks, and they are in groups of 7 or 8. And in Public health this semster we are doing public health projects in groups of 9-10. But out of all our classes these are the only instances. This is only 1st year though, I dont know how it is down the road.

when will they be sending out the next set of letters for interview?

ilostmyspacebar said:
i am also waiting for a letter hopefully but did you get a letter from the financial office saying they want your 2005 federal income tax form and other forms as well???

S.O.S. said:
i am also waiting for a letter hopefully but did you get a letter from the financial office saying they want your 2005 federal income tax form and other forms as well???

yeah whether accepted or waiting, or on active consideration you should be sending them all the financial aid documents they ask for.

ilostmyspacebar said:

if they haven't already sent them out, you should be getting them in the very near future. just so you know, the next interview is on march 18th.

If we had our interview on FEB 11th, when will we hear back from the interview results? How many are they accepting right away from Feb 11th group? Has anyone received anything from the school yet?

DC1120 said:
If we had our interview on FEB 11th, when will we hear back from the interview results? How many are they accepting right away from Feb 11th group? Has anyone received anything from the school yet?

i think it takes about 3-4 weeks to get a response. i could be wrong.

the wait is agonizing :(

DC1120 said:

3 or 4 weeks sounds about right.

Couple people I know, including myself, actually got acceptance letters 2 weeks right after we interviewed. Look for a big package!

those of you who have already had your interviews, what did you like about your experience? and what things do you think need improvement? i'm just curious.

USCPharmD09 said:
those of you who have already had your interviews, what did you like about your experience? and what things do you think need improvement? i'm just curious.

Having Jim Granderson (i think thats how you spell his name) speak to us before our interviews was really wonderful. He gave us a warm welcome and really broke the ice and relieved some of the tension and anxieties that I had about the interview process. I really admired how much the students had pride in the school and how networking was strongly emphasized.

However, the whole day felt somewhat rushed. I wish there was an actual campus tour so I could get a feel of where I was hopefully going to spend the next 4 years of my life. The informal Q&A session after the essay portion was really informative, but I would have rather had formal info sessions specifically geared toward housing, financial aid, etc.

Mikeyyy said:
Having Jim Granderson (i think thats how you spell his name) speak to us before our interviews was really wonderful. He gave us a warm welcome and really broke the ice and relieved some of the tension and anxieties that I had about the interview process. I really admired how much the students had pride in the school and how networking was strongly emphasized.

However, the whole day felt somewhat rushed. I wish there was an actual campus tour so I could get a feel of where I was hopefully going to spend the next 4 years of my life. The informal Q&A session after the essay portion was really informative, but I would have rather had formal info sessions specifically geared toward housing, financial aid, etc.

You mean you didn't the get 2 1/2 minute school tour?

If you really did want a tour you can go to an Information Session.

There are actually a couple coming up on March 3 and April 21st. They say they want 2 weeks notice for a reservation but I can't see them not letting you in if you tell them you had an interview and wanted to come back to look at the school. Here is the information on these...

http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/tour.html

USCPharmD09 said:

I loved how fun and personable the current pharmacy students who greeted us were. I was laughing it up with one for the entire hour or so before my interview.

Mikeyyy said:
However, the whole day felt somewhat rushed. I wish there was an actual campus tour so I could get a feel of where I was hopefully going to spend the next 4 years of my life.
I agree that a campus tour would have been nice because they basically herded us like cattle through our session. Interaction with the current PharmD students did make up for the missing tour IMO.

Mikeyyy said:

I agree, the whole process felt rushed, especially the interview. It felt like it lasted 5 mins. I wish there was more info on financial aide also, since I am still somewhat confused on the matter. But the student I talked to before the interview was looking good..props to that! Gave me more incentive to attend USC!! lol!!

Mikeyyy said:

I agree with Mikeyyy. A formal info. session could have been a bit more helpful. Especially, one on financial aid (this is one of the more pricier programs in the nation) and housing (for us non So Cal residents). A tour would have been nice, too, but I understand why the school was a little bit pressed for time. Imagine having to conduct 150 interviews in one day!

thanks for all of your replies about the interview! it will really help those people having their interview in march, and i think it will also help us current students to gear the "meet and greet" session towards topics that are more helpful to you guys. i hope to see y'all in the fall!

-k

i had an opposite feeling about the interview -- i felt like it lasted forever! I got there really early before my interview and I think i was one of the last people to come back from the interview to the essay portion because my interview had gone so much over the time limit. I dont know if that's a good thing, but most of the interview consisted of a conversation that had nothing to do with pharmacy... i thought it went really well, but of course i'm doubting myself as usual...

I hope we all get in guys.. :oops:

what kind of experience do you all have in pharmacy? and did it change your views on the pharmacist's job, or was it exactly what you expected?

Do you think we have to file financial aid even though we did not receive the acceptance letters yet?
any one got any letters for financial aid??

HAHA said:
Do you think we have to file financial aid even though we did not receive the acceptance letters yet?
any one got any letters for financial aid??

You should be sending all your financial aid documents regardless. I know it'd suck to have to do that while not knowing if u're accepted or not.

still waiting for their reply, hope that i can get that soon

TrojanAnteater said:
You should be sending all your financial aid documents regardless. I know it'd suck to have to do that while not knowing if u're accepted or not.

so i sent in my graduate form for financial aid.. and i interviewed on 2/11.. so i still havent gotten the letter telling me if i've been accepted or not.

However, yesterday i got a letter from financial aid... and i've been assigned a USCID number.

I've never seen that number before... do they only give that to people who've been accepted? LOL

no they gave the number to all the students that applied to finanical aid

HAHA said:
no they gave the number to all the students that applied to finanical aid

well i called financial aid and asked them if all applicants get a USCID number.. and they said only students who have been accepted..

so now i dont know..

plus the 10 digit USCID is something that's for USC students, faculty, and staff... Would they just give that to anyone? I'm not sure.. wouldnt they just go by your file # -- like mine says file #37 on all my other papers...

gmohamma said:
well i called financial aid and asked them if all applicants get a USCID number.. and they said only students who have been accepted..

so now i dont know..

plus the 10 digit USCID is something that's for USC students, faculty, and staff... Would they just give that to anyone? I'm not sure.. wouldnt they just go by your file # -- like mine says file #37 on all my other papers...

i hope that will be ture so that we both get in

HAHA said:
i hope that will be ture so that we both get in

me too, did u interview on 2/11 as well??

I called my friend who got waitlisted, and she's gonna check her financial aid letter to see if there's a USCID on it.. so i guess that way we can get a better idea...

althought the financial aid guy said that people who havent been accepted are filed according to their ssn#'s

ah!!!!!!! im obsessing!!!!!!!!

Hi, what is this financial aid paper you guys are talking about? Is it the one thats telling us to file our FAFSA and the supplemental financial aid before FEB 24th from USC or is this a totally new letter? When I filled out the supplemental, it asked me for a USC ID number, and since my interview was on 2/11, the lady from USC just told me to skip it and mail it in.

Gmohamma, did you get a new letter stating your FAFSA confirmation and USC also included a USC ID number (10 digits)?

also, when did you get the letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.