US Atlantic Bridge 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spent last two days speaking to past graduates from a few Irish schools, who are practicing in the US. They said North American electives are not guaranteed to students. They are awarded to top students in the class. You need to look into finding electives by yourself. They suggested I begin finding research/clinical spots now and build connections for future electives and potential help you find residencies after med school. Hopefully, I can set up 2 or 3 connections immediately at teaching hospital. I hope everyone that is going to an Irish school start doing the same, especially if you are looking for US residency. I don't know much about Canadian residency and how to prepare yourself for it. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I spent last two days speaking to past graduates from a few Irish schools, who are practicing in the US. They said North American electives are not guaranteed to students. They are awarded to top students in the class. You need to look into finding electives by yourself. They suggested I begin finding research/clinical spots now and build connections for future electives and potential help you find residencies after med school. Hopefully, I can set up 2 or 3 connections immediately at teaching hospital. I hope everyone that is going to an Irish school start doing the same, especially if you are looking for US residency. I don't know much about Canadian residency and how to prepare yourself for it. Good luck everyone.
If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to get in touch with them? I'm in Vancouver, Canada and I know one doctor who works at a walk-in clinic I work at, who went to UCD but I think I might be able to find some others. I'm not sure how others would feel if some random student just emailed them/contacted them to ask for insight?

If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to get in touch with them? I'm in Vancouver, Canada and I know one doctor who works at a walk-in clinic I work at, who went to UCD but I think I might be able to find some others. I'm not sure how others would feel if some random student just emailed them/contacted them to ask for insight?
Everyone was in your shoes at some point, doctors/residents are usually fairly open to passing down some knowledge/insight on their journeys to prospectives. As long as you are polite and respectful, there is no reason you shouldn't reach out.

Members don't see this ad :)

A colleague of my mentor graduated from UCD and he connected me to other physicians practicing in the US from UCC, RCSI, TCD, and NUIG. I wanted to get a better understanding about the programs.

^ I would assume people going the foreign route will know this as a given, shouldn't even have to be said. If you are going outside of North America and plan to return to North America, then you better start using whatever means you can to form connections and do rotations here. You can't expect to go to Ireland or New Zealand or wherever else in the world then come 4 years time return here and ask a residency program to take you. Just think: in their eyes ultimately we did NOT get into a North American school. Even if we do great on the USMLE, there are thousands of other North American students who got into a North American school and did just as well or better on the USMLE. This will all come down to strong letters from rotations. We don't have the luxury of doing every rotation here (like our North American colleagues), if they don't like one or mess one up it's not a big deal they have a dozen of other preceptors to ask for letters. We are coming in blindly for 4 - 8 weeks. We better shine and get an excellent letter. As you know from real life, sometimes people don't click, your preceptor might not like you or you them or something. This is why I say, if you want to succeed you better know who and where you're going to ask for internships before you get on that plane to Ireland. I hope everyone starts now. Start observing, volunteering, whatever you have to, but get out there and meet your local doctors.

Hey! Try the book "Why Medicine? And 500 Other Questions for the Medical School and Residency Interviews"

Its literally a list of questions for you to practice with family, friends or just think of answers on your own. I've now used it for medical school and residency interviews and found it great for preparing. Best of luck!

Hey, thanks! I have heard of that book but have never read it. Read this post a little too late - already had the interview :) but I will look for a copy as I am sure it will be helpful at another time!

^ I would assume people going the foreign route will know this as a given, shouldn't even have to be said. If you are going outside of North America and plan to return to North America, then you better start using whatever means you can to form connections and do rotations here. You can't expect to go to Ireland or New Zealand or wherever else in the world then come 4 years time return here and ask a residency program to take you. Just think: in their eyes ultimately we did NOT get into a North American school. Even if we do great on the USMLE, there are thousands of other North American students who got into a North American school and did just as well or better on the USMLE. This will all come down to strong letters from rotations. We don't have the luxury of doing every rotation here (like our North American colleagues), if they don't like one or mess one up it's not a big deal they have a dozen of other preceptors to ask for letters. We are coming in blindly for 4 - 8 weeks. We better shine and get an excellent letter. As you know from real life, sometimes people don't click, your preceptor might not like you or you them or something. This is why I say, if you want to succeed you better know who and where you're going to ask for internships before you get on that plane to Ireland. I hope everyone starts now. Start observing, volunteering, whatever you have to, but get out there and meet your local doctors.

Exactly. Though Ireland schools are really good, you need to have other factors which will get you the residency that you want. LOR, Step 1 score, Publications/Research, and, in case of schools that rank, a high ranking. Only reason, I am feeling a little confident with Ireland schools is because I am currently working on getting internships in the US for Winters and Summers, and, if needed, after graduation from med school, since internships are not guaranteed to non-EU students.

Does anyone know usually how long after interviews does Limerick send out offers? Im hearing 1 and 2 weeks. What was it last year?

Hey everyone,
I am a medical student (from Canada) at NUIG and I can tell you that last year there was only 1 person that did not match back to Canada and I know him and the reason as to why he didnt match back (he matched back this year). Also, this year everyone but 1 person did not match back to Canada. We had 4 ppl match back to Canada to an anesthesiology residency which is huge! hope that helps anyone considering NUIG!

Hey everyone,
I am a medical student (from Canada) at NUIG and I can tell you that last year there was only 1 person that did not match back to Canada and I know him and the reason as to why he didnt match back (he matched back this year). Also, this year everyone but 1 person did not match back to Canada. We had 4 ppl match back to Canada to an anesthesiology residency which is huge! hope that helps anyone considering NUIG!

Hey! Thanks for the info. I wanted to ask if you knew of there was still a chance for someone that was not accepted on the first round to get it on the second one? Or are the probabilities slim?

Thank you!

Hey everyone,

Can I ask you about what US affiliations does NUIG have? Which hospitals in the US can students do electives?

Hey everyone,
Hi basketball123,

The four people who were matched back to anesthesia, were they all this year? Because the NIMSA document doesn't seem to say 4 individuals. Also, how do the elective rotations work at NUIG and how much time do the students get? How easy is it to find research opportunities? Any advice on finding housing?

sigh... I'm frustrated at this "LOR tradition" that is unique to North America - connections trump talents in most cases... in other countries, doctors & professors don't write LORs and usually they don't know what to write even if you ask them.

I am currently working on getting internships in the US for Winters and Summers, and, if needed, after graduation from med school, since internships are not guaranteed to non-EU students.
how do you go about setting internship in Ireland?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
sigh... I'm a bit frustrated at this "LOR tradition" that is unique to North America - connections trump talents in most cases... in other countries, doctors don't write LORs and usually they don't know what to write even if you ask them.

It's just the culture of nepotism. Why kids of doctors mostly seem to become doctors. and why you wouldn't see the child of a big city surgeon matching to psych in the middle of nowhere (unless that kid had some desire to live remotely). As someone with work experience, trust me - connections, a good word from the right person will often trump other parts of an application when it comes down to it. I've seen it happen on interview panels I've been on.

But you got into UQ right? I would do that program. You will spend 2 full years in the USA and that is plenty of time to make a few connections for future residency letters.

Hey guys,
my apologize @popeyespinach it was the U.S. not Canada.
Not too worry if you havent heard back from nuig because i know people who got accepted mid summer!
rotations start in 3rd year second semester and are in somewhere in ireland. However, i know some of my friends did some rotations back home in Canada!
I would say there is quite a lot of research opportunities available..as matter of fact some people are spending the summer here to do research.
Housing is very hard to get here so I suggest anyone who is coming here to get housing figured out ASAP! For mature students i don't suggest student housing. However, for anyone else I suggest donegan court and atlantis!

sigh... I'm a bit frustrated at this "LOR tradition" that is unique to North America - connections trump talents in most cases... in other countries, doctors don't write LORs and usually they don't know what to write even if you ask them.

Internships in Ireland is awarded to the best students in the class, priority to EU citizens and then Non-EU citizens.

Internships in Ireland is awarded to the best students in the class, priority to EU citizens and then Non-EU citizens.
oh pardon then. i mistook your last post for Ireland as you were trying to set up internship after-graduation ..

Hey guys,

For whoever did the interviews with Limerick, how did it go?
They said they will send the letters in ten days...

Reactions: 1 users
oh pardon then. i mistook your last post for Ireland as you were trying to set up internship after-graduation ..

I am trying to work on setting up an internship in the States after graduation. Sometimes even with a good score, you fall in the middle of the pack for residency, so you need some sort of internship in the field you are trying to go into. So I am going to start doing some internship/clinical rotations during the winter and summer of year 1 and whenever there is a break during rest of med school. Which will allow me to make connections and if need be, open up an intern position for a year before beginning my residency.

Hey everyone,
Hi @basketball123 , 4 people this year matched in anasthesia in US? Do you have any information on the time allocated for elective rotations, which one may want to pursue in US or Canada?

@keytey @sharpshooter123 Most years, the results come out the following week of the interviews. I think they came out via email the Tuesday after the interview weekend but usually it's a week, give or take a few days.

@keytey @sharpshooter123 Most years, the results come out the following week of the interviews. I think they came out via email the Tuesday after the interview weekend but usually it's a week, give or take a few days.

Yep, interviewed Saturday, received acceptance today.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any idea when TCD is going to respond?

I also interviewed with Limerick on Saturday and received an offer today!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any idea when TCD is going to respond?
I think neither SDN nor ABP has any specific date. Everyone is going on ABP's word that "two weeks - end of the month". Hell, since there is no hard deadline, they might even take sometime in May to reply, unfortunately

to all of you who are concerned about setting up electives at AB schools: have you considered UQ-Ochsner in Australia that lets you do 2 years of rotations in the US?

I was considering it but I did not know their program started in February so I missed the deadline for this year and I couldn't find the application for next year. So now I am just considering Ireland. Hoping to get into 4 year program, but at least I have an offer at a 5 year program. I will just have to see what will happen.

Why is the tuition so high? I copied this from the website (Tuition for the Class of 2016: $64,240 USD per year.) The program is 4 years?
yeah, it's a consensus even among UQ students that tuition is an outrage.
yes, it is 4 years.
it is the same as RCSI tuition if you convert euro to usd.

Why is the tuition so high? I copied this from the website (Tuition for the Class of 2016: $64,240 USD per year.) The program is 4 years?

Certain US medical schools cost around 50-65k a year. NYU, an excellent med school, costs roughly 70-75k a year. DO school cost up to 60k a year. You can't look at the cost of a school and make a decision. Consider it an investment towards your future. If you are good with money, you can pay of student loans within 6 years, after graduation, with plenty to spare for yourself. So try to keep the cost out of the equation.

Certain US medical schools cost around 50-65k a year. NYU, an excellent med school, costs roughly 70-75k a year. DO school cost up to 60k a year. You can't look at the cost of a school and make a decision. Consider it an investment towards your future. If you are good with money, you can pay of student loans within 6 years, after graduation, with plenty to spare for yourself. So try to keep the cost out of the equation.
I agree with you. I never consider cost at all but the amount caught my attention! Definitely makes sense. I had a friend who got accepted as an out-of-state student with tuition totaling up to almost $400,000 for the 4 years according to her. The Irish medical schools are recognized worldwide, so the money is worth it as far as education quality and the school's reputation for sure.

Tuition and fees for NYU = 54k. http://www.med.nyu.edu/school/admissions/fees-and-financial-aid

The COA may be >70k but that would be comparing the COA of NYU to just the tuition and fees of UQ-O, not a fair comparison.

Tuition and fees for NYU = 54k. http://www.med.nyu.edu/school/admissions/fees-and-financial-aid

The COA may be >70k but that would be comparing the COA of NYU to just the tuition and fees of UQ-O, not a fair comparison.

If you take the cost of everything for UQ or NYU, the cost will be about the same. Renting an apartment in NYC is costly, NYU dorms are still costly. So you end up paying upwards to 80k because my friend is roughly paying that. UQ is going to come around the same thing. After a while, 10-15k a year doesn't make a difference.

I agree with you. I never consider cost at all but the amount caught my attention! Definitely makes sense. I had a friend who got accepted as an out-of-state student with tuition totaling up to almost $400,000 for the 4 years according to her. The Irish medical schools are recognized worldwide, so the money is worth it as far as education quality and the school's reputation for sure.
What US medical school costs 100K for tuition alone per year?

If you take the cost of everything for UQ or NYU, the cost will be about the same. Renting an apartment in NYC is costly, NYU dorms are still costly. So you end up paying upwards to 80k because my friend is roughly paying that. UQ is going to come around the same thing. After a while, 10-15k a year doesn't make a difference.
no no... i have looked around. UQ-Ochsner is the most expensive medical program in the world. RCSI comes close second with only $1000-2000 less.
factor in the living cost and UQ-O will cost $85k to $90k per year. australia isn't cheap.
If you have an opportunity to go the "cheapest" school, do it. Reputation means none when it comes to residency.

Last edited by a moderator:
no no... i have looked around. UQ-Ochsner is the most expensive medical program in the world. RCSI comes close second with only $1000-2000 less.
factor in the living cost and UQ-O will cost $85k to $90k per year. australia isn't cheap!
If you have an opportunity to go the "cheapest" school, do it. Reputation means none when it comes to residency.
There are plenty of private programs in the US that run ~ 55k/yr

Do you guys know whether the ABP accepts applicants who graduated with a Bachelor degree in Psychology but with limited or no pre-requisite courses (Chem, physics, organic chem), only biology courses.

Do you guys know whether the ABP accepts applicants who graduated with a Bachelor degree in Psychology but with limited or no pre-requisite courses (Chem, physics, organic chem), only biology courses.
As far as I know, Irish programs have no prerequisite requirements; the only requirements are the following:
1. If you have a Bachelor's and are applying to 4 year GEM then you must have written the MCAT since you need to submit the score.
2. If you have a Bachelor's and are not applying to 4 year GEM but instead 5 year programs, the only ones you can apply to are NUIG, TCD and RCSI-Bahrain. UCD, RCSI and UCC will want you to write the MCAT and apply to their 4 year GEM.

This is what I have understood from this year's ABP experience.

If you passed the MCAT, yes.

As far as I know, Irish programs have no prerequisite requirements; the only requirements are the following:
1. If you have a Bachelor's and are applying to 4 year GEM then you must have written the MCAT since you need to submit the score.
2. If you have a Bachelor's and are not applying to 4 year GEM but instead 5 year programs, the only ones you can apply to are NUIG, TCD and RCSI-Bahrain. UCD, RCSI and UCC will want you to write the MCAT and apply to their 4 year GEM.

This is what I have understood from this year's ABP experience.
Thanks for your feedback! Hope we hear back from TCD soon before May 6th.

Thanks for your feedback! Hope we hear back from TCD soon before May 6th.

Well let's see. For those who are waiting for TCD, I called ABP again today to see if they had any anticipated date as to when TCD might release results. The person said TCD is still reviewing apps, has not released the first round of offers and they do not have a hard date for that. They said in maybe 2 weeks or so.

55k is a big amount, but still less than what UQ and RCSI cost.
Where are you getting your numbers? Tuition at RCSI is around $53k/yr (+living expenses of course, but this is true anywhere)