US Atlantic Bridge 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted390966

Hi all,

I'm planning to apply for the schools associated with this program. (I'm fairly new to this route as well).

I'd like to ask whether Atlantic Bridge will send me all the application materials, or do I have to look at each school's website to download the application? How should I send schools my transcripts and MCAT score? I suppose all A.B. schools accept MCAT and don't require me to take UKCAT or BMAT? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm planning to apply for the schools associated with this program. (I'm fairly new to this route as well).

I'd like to ask whether Atlantic Bridge will send me all the application materials, or do I have to look at each school's website to download the application? How should I send schools my transcripts and MCAT score? I suppose all A.B. schools accept MCAT and don't require me to take UKCAT or BMAT? :)

You get the application from the AB website, but they will not accept applications until mid-late summer 2015.

Not all of the Irish Medical school require you to write the MCAT. Check the FAQ on AB's website for information about requirements for certain school are programmes. UKCAT and BMAT are not required.

You send transcripts by whatever method your university and/or high school sends certified official transcripts (typically by post).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

It is too late for this cycle (september 2015 entry). The deadline to have your application in was like mid-March. For Fall 2016 entry I would assume applications would be out after the semester starts up (september-ish), possibly late summer.

Hi all,

Hey I'm applying for the 2015 second round
You only have to request the application on the Atlantic bridge website and they will email you with the application and information. As u type in your info u can let them know if u have MCAT or other scores or not and when u pay u can mail everything yo them.

Hey I'm applying for the 2015 second round
You only have to request the application on the Atlantic bridge website and they will email you with the application and information. As u type in your info u can let them know if u have MCAT or other scores or not and when u pay u can mail everything yo them.
How are you applying for second round? o_O I requested the material, and they told me to wait till next round (2016 entry).

How are you applying for second round? o_O I requested the material, and they told me to wait till next round (2016 entry).

By "applying second round" he probably should have used the past tense, in that he "applied" for the second round. He probably applied this spring at some point. Applications were considered "late" for anything sent in after november which just meant you had to pay a fee for every school that you applied to after that deadline. So I'm assuming if the application was sent in the spring, it was technically second round, but you don't choose to apply "first round" or "second round" it just depends when your application was sent in. Technically AB was still accepting applications through March 15th or somewhere around then.

He said "2015 second round", though.
And i think you'll pay app fees nonetheless; it is listed on their website.

He said "2015 second round", though.
And i think you'll pay app fees nonetheless; it is listed on their website.

No...I believe mcat_taker is correct on this one. I applied after the fall "application cycle," and sometime in February 2015, and I paid the late fee. Yes, you have to pay application fees no matter what, but they are more after the initial deadline. It is about $25 more than if you apply before the Fall deadline. I think it was $75 if on time, and $100 per school anytime after the 2014 fall deadline. Also, other people applied later than I did, and some after initial decisions were given. Therefore, one could theoretically apply "2015 second round" as many stumbled upon Atlantic Bridge sometime in March or April of this year (2014) and applied. I think the ultimate deadline for this year was March 15th or April 15th, I can't remember. I do remember that my personal application deadline was February 15th, but Atlantic Bridge told me that they would accept LOR's until April 15th. I asked for an application sometime in January 2015.

I do think they are a little bit lenient on late applications, but near their ultimate deadline (March 15th, April 15th, or something??? Not sure) it becomes "apply at your own risk" as your chances narrow as you will be applying when most if not all schools have already finished their first round of offers.

No...I believe mcat_taker is correct on this one. I applied after the fall "application cycle," and sometime in February 2015, and I paid the late fee. Yes, you have to pay application fees no matter what, but they are more after the initial deadline. It is about $25 more than if you apply before the Fall deadline. I think it was $75 if on time, and $100 per school anytime after the 2014 fall deadline. Also, other people applied later than I did, and some after initial decisions were given. Therefore, one could theoretically apply "2015 second round" as many stumbled upon Atlantic Bridge sometime in March or April of this year (2014) and applied. I think the ultimate deadline for this year was March 15th or April 15th, I can't remember. I do remember that my personal application deadline was February 15th, but Atlantic Bridge told me that they would accept LOR's until April 15th. I asked for an application sometime in January 2015.

I do think they are a little bit lenient on late applications, but near their ultimate deadline (March 15th, April 15th, or something??? Not sure) it becomes "apply at your own risk" as your chances narrow as you will be applying when most if not all schools have already finished their first round of offers.

Correct. The hard deadline for applications was postmarked by March 15th, but LOR and transcripts needed to be in no later than April 1st to complete one's application. As you noted, some people already had interviews, and possibly acceptances before that deadline had passed in the "first round", theoretically making it more difficult to get an acceptance with such a late application.

I have a question: If you already have a Bachelor degree and have taken the MCAT then you're only eligible to apply to 4 schools?
University College Cork
University College Dublin
The University of Limerick
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question: If you already have a Bachelor degree and have taken the MCAT then you're only eligible to apply to 4 schools, right?
University College Cork

Nope, you can apply to:

University College Cork
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland – Medical University of Bahrain
National University of Ireland at Galway
Trinity College Dublin
Penang Medical College

The MCAT is just not required for TCD/NUI or the other two schools outside of Ireland, because they do not have graduate entry programmes. If you apply to those schools, you'll be considered for the 5-year programmes.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering, how do interviews work for Irish med schools? Are they done in Canada, or online or would we have to fly to Ireland?

I was wondering, how do interviews work for Irish med schools? Are they done in Canada, or online or would we have to fly to Ireland?

Over Skype is an option. I don't remember if you have the option to do it in person as I didn't apply to the schools that did interviews.

UL and RCSI are the only ones that do interviews... First round interviews take place in New York and Toronto. Interviews for subsequent rounds, IF there are any, would be done over Skype.

Hey guys,

do the AB schools want you to upload/email transcripts to them, or do they want your schools to send them the transcripts?

Hey guys,

do the AB schools want you to upload/email transcripts to them, or do they want your schools to send them the transcripts?

You will need to either send your transcript directly using your school's transcript mailing service or mail the original copy yourself. No soft copy is acceptable.

You will need to either send your transcript directly using your school's transcript mailing service or mail the original copy yourself. No soft copy is acceptable.

...and if you mail it in yourself, you need to be sure it is sealed and on an official letterhead. You know, the normal stuff.

Are the applications for entry in Sept 2016 open yet?

As I recall, they open in September of the year before you're applying. You fill out a form on their website and they will email you the documents required for application. Try to get the application in ASAP if you plan on applying because it is rolling admissions.

Anyone know the residency match rates for this year's class yet?

Also, for previous years, how many percents matched?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
I'm surprised that match rates are lower than 90% for these excellent schools..
What happens to those who are unmatched?

How come match rates for Trinity are so low?

Either do internship in Ireland, go do research back home to try to match again etc. Its much harder to match in Canada as an IMG so thats why match rates are below 90%. They have always been around 60-70% from what i've seen.

Why is UK foundation year listed as an option for the unmatched? Isn't UK foundation year strictly given to the EU citizens?
Just curious.

For Irish grads yes, not for UK grads (UK grads can apply to UK foundation regardless of their citizenship). But regarding that, i'm guessing they are saying if you have EU citizenship you can apply to the UK for foundation.

Last edited:
So if my file is still open with two schools is it worth it or even possible to send updated and better MCAT results to AB?

For Irish grads yes, not for UK grads. But regarding that, i'm guessing they are saying if you have EU citizenship you can apply to the UK for foundation.
I wonder how many Irish grads who are EU citizens get the FY1 posts.

I don't think admission is rolling because they told me: "The admissions committees in Ireland begin considering North American applications for Fall 2016 entry in mid-January."

Has anyone thinking about applying for the 2016 cycle taken the new MCAT? Or does anyone know anything about how the Irish schools will be looking at the new scores? I just got my score back; it was okay but not great so I guess I'm just trying to get some more information.

Has anyone thinking about applying for the 2016 cycle taken the new MCAT? Or does anyone know anything about how the Irish schools will be looking at the new scores? I just got my score back; it was okay but not great so I guess I'm just trying to get some more information.
My guess is That they will go by percentile score, just like the past MCAT

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone here has experience applying through ABP with your MCAT score still pending? I applied last year and have an MCAT score from the old MCAT, I am planning on rewriting January 23rd but that means my score won't be released until the end of February. I know they begin reviewing applications at the end January, and give out interview invites in February, so how will they evaluate my file if my new score is missing? Was anyone in this position last year?
Thanks!

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone here has experience applying through ABP with your MCAT score still pending? I applied last year and have an MCAT score from the old MCAT, I am planning on rewriting January 23rd but that means my score won't be released until the end of February. I know they begin reviewing applications at the end January, and give out interview invites in February, so how will they evaluate my file if my new score is missing? Was anyone in this position last year?
Thanks!
it's best to email and ask them directly.

What are my chances: Im in my last year of UG at a Canadian university.
Recently took the new 2015 MCAT and i got a 498 (124/122/127/125).
My gpa is around a 3.5ish or 81% overall.
ECs: shadowing a doctor, Vice- President of a few clubs, one year of research and tons of hospital volunteering.

Thanks!

What are my chances: Im in my last year of UG at a Canadian university.
Recently took the new 2015 MCAT and i got a 498 (124/122/127/125).
My gpa is around a 3.5ish or 81% overall.
ECs: shadowing a doctor, Vice- President of a few clubs, one year of research and tons of hospital volunteering.

Thanks!

Chances aren't good. A 498 is low 20s on the old MCAT. Most matriculants have at least a 28+ MCAT minimum which would be equivalent to like a 505.

Do you know if they look at each section individually or is it more based on your composite score?

Last edited:
Do you think it's still worth applying ?

I would venture to guess composite score. They don't really release data on average mcat scores or anything, and theres no minimum score needed to apply, but I would probably say that its not worth applying with that score. The schools are quite competitive. Thats just my opinion.

I would venture to guess composite score. They don't really release data on average mcat scores or anything, and theres no minimum score needed to apply, but I would probably say that its not worth applying with that score. The schools are quite competitive. Thats just my opinion.

How about the 5 year MD program where the MCAT is not required ?

How about the 5 year MD program where the MCAT is not required ?

Those programs are going to be heavily looking at GPA and I don't think a 3.5 stands out enough for the 5 year programs. Might have better luck with SGU or Ireland if you retook the MCAT. Based on your sub-scores you seem to have a solid foundation to build off of, need to dial in on verbal.

What's the best way to make ECs stand out? I talked about some stuff in my personal essay, but other than that it seems like we just have the resume/CV to talk about ECs. I hope they notice all the s**t I did...

What's the best way to make ECs stand out? I talked about some stuff in my personal essay, but other than that it seems like we just have the resume/CV to talk about ECs. I hope they notice all the s**t I did...

Oh i'm sure they will notice. Emphasize the important things you did and what you learned from them not just purely list out accomplishments in your essay. Your CV is the place to list those out.

Hello, I just posted this on another forum, but I am posting it here just in case as well. I am looking to receive feedback on my potential application.

My country of citizenship is: U.S.A
Currently studying: Finished a B.S. in Organismal Biology, M.A. in German Studies, finishing M.A. in Bioethics
My GPA is: sGPA: 3.80, cGPA: 3.81 for undergraduate. Current GPA in M.A. is 4.0
My MCAT Scores were: 1st MCAT I had a 23 (low), 2nd MCAT 496 (low). I plan to take the MCAT again after I take my first Kaplan course (the school offers a free one where I am receiving my M.A.)

I applied to: UCD, UCC, RCSI, UDT
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is:

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1 (I applied to D.O. schools last cycle and I was too late with a low MCAT. I am applying to D.O. schools this cycle and I have had 1 interview as my MCAT score had not come back yet)

Academic Distinctions:
· Dean’s List with Distinction for Academic Year of 2014-2015
· Outstanding UofA Honors Senior Award 2015
· Distinction in EEB Poster Presentation 2015
· Outstanding UofA Senior Award 2015 Nominee 2015
· Outstanding EEB Senior Award Nominee 2015
· Highest Academic Distinction Fall 2014
· Leslie N. Gooding EEB Scholar 2014
· First place in poster presentation regarding research on the Berlin Wall and economic growth factors November 2014
· Highest Academic Distinction Award for Academic Year of 2013-2014
· Weinel Scholarship through German Department for palliative care research 2014
· Outstanding Honors Junior Award 2014
· Honors College Grant Award for academic research in palliative care 2014
· Travel Research Grant through UofA Study Abroad 2014
· SILLC Global Award 2014
· Pillars of Excellence Award 2014
· Dean’s List with Distinction for Academic Year of 2013-2014
· Auszeichnung (Award) from German Department at the UofA for academic distinction May 2013
· Honors Distinction and Pinning for Credit Hours 2013
· Dean’s List and Academic Distinction Awards for Academic Year of 2011-2013
· Induction into National Society of Collegiate Scholars August 2011
· Distinction in Honors First Year Project for research concerning E2F1 protein in cancer research 2012

(I apologize ahead of time for the longer list that I put on my condensed CV as I was not sure what to highlight/remove)

EC:
. Ethics committee chair member at hospital
. Plant storage effect and competition research for 1 year
. Bioinformatics research 1 year
. German translation research and 2 publications for 2 years
. Head TA for 2.5 years for Bioethics undergraduate course
. German language instructor for 1 year
. Psychiatry lab research for 1 year
. Palliative care humanities research for 3 years (ongoing research still)
. ER volunteer for 3.5 years
. Assisted living caretaker for quadriplegic for 3.5 years
. Single cell-measurements for cancer pathways research for 1.5 years

Letter Recommendations:
1) Letter from Department Head of Biology Department
2) Letter from D.O that I worked on my thesis with
3) Letter from an M.D. in Heidelberg, Germany that I worked on my thesis with
4) Letter from a Bioethicist that I helped teach undergraduate courses with

Once again, I apologize for this longer post. I will be taking the MCAT again as I have never had adequate time to remove distractions from research and effectively study. I am hopeful that this Kaplan course will be of use.

Hello, I just posted this on another forum, but I am posting it here just in case as well. I am looking to receive feedback on my potential application.

Currently studying: Finished a B.S. in Organismal Biology, M.A. in German Studies, finishing M.A. in Bioethics
My MCAT Scores were: 1st MCAT I had a 23 (low), 2nd MCAT 496 (low). I plan to take the MCAT again after I take my first Kaplan course (the school offers a free one where I am receiving my M.A.)

I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1 (I applied to D.O. schools last cycle and I was too late with a low MCAT. I am applying to D.O. schools this cycle and I have had 1 interview as my MCAT score had not come back yet)

Academic Distinctions:
· First place in poster presentation regarding research on the Berlin Wall and economic growth factors November 2014
· Weinel Scholarship through German Department for palliative care research 2014
· Auszeichnung (Award) from German Department at the UofA for academic distinction May 2013
· Distinction in Honors First Year Project for research concerning E2F1 protein in cancer research 2012

(I apologize ahead of time for the longer list that I put on my condensed CV as I was not sure what to highlight/remove)

EC:

Letter Recommendations:

Once again, I apologize for this longer post. I will be taking the MCAT again as I have never had adequate time to remove distractions from research and effectively study. I am hopeful that this Kaplan course will be of use.

With your stats, apply DO and MD after redoing MCAT. Not sure how the new scoring works but try to score above 30 and you should get a few acceptances. Being an IMG is a tough road and you will need substantially higher board scores and maybe even research (for Canada at least) to match over an AMG or CMG. Not to mention tuition being as much as 4x as high (assuming in-state) and no guarantee of matching.

I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

Academic Distinctions:

EC:

Letter Recommendations:

erm, tbh, i doubt that Atlantic Bridge will accept people with <507 MCAT.
your gpa, though, is stellar. you should definitely retake the MCAT.
you have a good chance at US DO, though.

Do students have to pay to do elective rotations in the US? (Most rotations charge a tuition fee for international students).

What are the maximum numbers of electives that you're allowed in the US at RCSI and UCD?

erm, tbh, i doubt that Atlantic Bridge will accept people with <507 MCAT.
your gpa, though, is stellar. you should definitely retake the MCAT.
you have a good chance at US DO, though.

Does that include even the 5 year program? I am still on the waitlist this cycle for most DO schools (or pending review) because of the lower MCAT and who is to say spots will be open by the time I retake the MCAT and get scores in February.

5-year programs don't require MCAT score; they only require that you'll have a Bach degree by the time you ENROLL so you can apply to those :)

Thank you Maruko :) I just wanted to check in with my stats for all of the programs here and see if I was competitive enough. I will still be taking the MCAT, and I have admittance to KCUMB's program pending an increase in MCAT, but I wanted to stay safe and apply to other programs this cycle.