US Atlantic Bridge 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yay! which day did you pick? I went for Saturday.
I went for the Thursday. I am very excited. Have you prepared for it at all?

Members don't see this ad.

The name of the company is CanadianForex but they offer a straightforward currency exchange. You lock in a certain rate and transfer the $CAD within 24-48 hours and they transfer euros to the bank account you specify. I've been using it over the last 2 years and have saved thousands over PaytoStudy. Not saying that its the only service out there, but people should do their research because there's many like it out there.
That sounds like a great resource! I'm going to try to bargain with my bank to match their exchange quote...maybe something will come out of it. Do you recommend converting the whole loan to euros right away and keep it in an Irish bank account or exchanging as the tuition is due?

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a great resource! I'm going to try to bargain with my bank to match their exchange quote...maybe something will come out of it. Do you recommend converting the whole loan to euros right away and keep it in an Irish bank account or exchanging as the tuition is due?
Are you Canadian or American?

For Canadians, you would be getting a bank loan...as soon as you pull money out to convert, the interest starts racking up. So unless the dollar rises alot and you're converting at the peak, the interest hit would not be worth the conversion fees saved doing it all at once.

If you're a US, and using US loans...i assume its the same? Once you get a disbursment and convert the interest starts ticking.

Are you Canadian or American?

For Canadians, you would be getting a bank loan...as soon as you pull money out to convert, the interest starts racking up. So unless the dollar rises alot and you're converting at the peak, the interest hit would not be worth the conversion fees saved doing it all at once.

If you're a US, and using US loans...i assume its the same? Once you get a disbursment and convert the interest starts ticking.
I am Canadian. I thought student loan interest rates start accumulating only after obtaining the degree the loan was taken for.

I went for the Thursday. I am very excited. Have you prepared for it at all?

Just did some brainstorming for standard questions. I figure they just want to be sure you are a good communicator. How about you? Be sure to tell me how it goes Thursday and good luck!

I am Canadian. I thought student loan interest rates start accumulating only after obtaining the degree the loan was taken for.

I could be wrong but I think this is OSAP. But bank loans accrue interest immediately and is based on how much is loaned out at the end of each day.

That's only the govt student loans. Which is a pittance

Yeah .... once you start using the first cent of the LOC, it racks up interest (I am Canadian as well).

the way ABP works is that you usually only get one offer, then the other schools are notified if you accept, and your other applications get withdrawn/you will get a slew of rejection letters from all other schools.
what if you don't accept the offer and wait for other schools?

what if you don't accept the offer and wait for other schools?

Didn't they give you until a certain date to accept or reject the offer. I'm pretty sure if you don't accept it by a certain date, you have rejected their offer.

Reactions: 1 user
I could be wrong but I think this is OSAP. But bank loans accrue interest immediately and is based on how much is loaned out at the end of each day.
So then it would be better to loan out the money as it's needed; on a yearly basis, let's say so that interest isn't accrued for the total sum which I definitely don't need right at the start.

So then it would be better to loan out the money as it's needed; on a yearly basis, let's say so that interest isn't accrued for the total sum which I definitely don't need right at the start.
Generally yes. But lets say the dollar shoots up, then it MAY be worth it to convert, if it was then to fall again very low for a sustained amount of time. Such that the extra 20-30% value you gained from exchanging it outweights the interest rates etc. But this is definitely very risk, as you can never predict the future. It can go either way.

Safe bet is to do it yearly as you need it, but its best to get an excel spreadsheet and do some calculations yourself to see how it all looks like quantified.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those Canadians taking out loans at the bank, did you need a co signor and how much would the bank give? Are you using OSAP and bank loan?

Generally yes. But lets say the dollar shoots up, then it MAY be worth it to convert, if it was then to fall again very low for a sustained amount of time. Such that the extra 20-30% value you gained from exchanging it outweights the interest rates etc. But this is definitely very risk, as you can never predict the future. It can go either way.

Safe bet is to do it yearly as you need it, but its best to get an excel spreadsheet and do some calculations yourself to see how it all looks like quantified.

That's true, it looks like the dollar is going back up slowly so maybe i'd keep it in CAD and convert it as needed.

For those who are still waiting for TCD/NUIG, I called ABP today and asked them when they anticipate first round offers will be released and they said they anticipate in two weeks - end of month. So sit tight

Reactions: 1 users
Same. Have you prepared for anything?
Hey keytey,
yeah I have been preparing by brainstorming possible questions and thinking of how I could answer them. I don't know how much it will help, but it's my personality type to try and be as prepared as possible for anything, so it's making me feel better at least! What about you?

For those who are still waiting for TCD/NUIG, I called ABP today and asked them when they anticipate first round offers will be released and they said they anticipate in two weeks - end of month. So sit tight

They are testing my patience, for sure.
I'm trying to be positive, but its sad that they are taking so long compared to others years.

They are testing my patience, for sure.
I'm trying to be positive, but its sad that they are taking so long compared to others years.

The thing is, the never really gave a hard deadline for first round of offers, just a hand wavy deadline on the ABP forms ("End of March Early April"). So it's completely fair for them to take however long to make their decisions. Also, in the last couple of years, from the threads I read from 2014-15, I saw a few people who were waiting for TCD to reply, having gotten an NUIG offer, only to have the deadline for the deposit for NUIG being super early that they had to risk paying or losing their offer, waiting for TCD. I think one thing everyone waiting for TCD/NUIG can take solace in this year is they might send out offers around the same time, and hopefully those who do get multiple offers, will be able to make a sound decision instead of risking a deposit for a school they might not want to go to whilst waiting for an offer from a school they did want to hear back from

EDIT: Please ignore the grammar mistakes

What is the attrition rate at Irish schools?/ how many people fail exams or classes each semester?

Hey keytey,
yeah I have been preparing by brainstorming possible questions and thinking of how I could answer them. I don't know how much it will help, but it's my personality type to try and be as prepared as possible for anything, so it's making me feel better at least! What about you?

Hey! Try the book "Why Medicine? And 500 Other Questions for the Medical School and Residency Interviews"

Its literally a list of questions for you to practice with family, friends or just think of answers on your own. I've now used it for medical school and residency interviews and found it great for preparing. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
For those Canadians taking out loans at the bank, did you need a co signor and how much would the bank give? Are you using OSAP and bank loan?
You will definitely need a cosigner to get a bank LOC for any non-canadian school. Max will depend on banks but upper end is 200-250k for foreign schools.

You will definitely need both osap and LOC unless you're family is footing the whole bill.

You will definitely need a cosigner to get a bank LOC for any non-canadian school. Max will depend on banks but upper end is 200-250k for foreign schools.

You will definitely need both osap and LOC unless you're family is footing the whole bill.

Do you need to be working in order to apply for LOC with parent co signing ? How much can you get from OSAP and do you apply every year? I have family members too who are willing to help but not sure I want to take that route yet. Just trying to figure out other possibbilities first. Thanks in advance

Do you need to be working in order to apply for LOC with parent co signing ? How much can you get from OSAP and do you apply every year? I have family members too who are willing to help but not sure I want to take that route yet. Just trying to figure out other possibbilities first. Thanks in advance

You yourself don't need to be working. Whoever is co-signing the LOC needs to have adequate income/assets to support the application. I suggest going with CIBC. They offer the highest limit ($275,000) and competitive interest rate @ prime. I'm currently with them and pay 2.85%.

OSAP, if the school is approved, will usually give you somewhere between $9000 and $12000 per year. You apply for it every year.

You yourself don't need to be working. Whoever is co-signing the LOC needs to have adequate income/assets to support the application. I suggest going with CIBC. They offer the highest limit ($275,000) and competitive interest rate @ prime. I'm currently with them and pay 2.85%.

OSAP, if the school is approved, will usually give you somewhere between $9000 and $12000 per year. You apply for it every year.

Last I heard, CIBC was giving people are a hard time to get the highest limit of 275K for foreign schools. And there is likely yearly limit regardless if you attend a canadian school or foreign school. Alot of this is really branch and advisor dependent though, so general advice is to do your research first before going to banks - see what other med students have gotten and all that. Interest rates should be at prime, though I'm not sure if they would make it prime + 1-2% or not for IMGs. If other IMGs are getting prime(2.7% at the moment), then so should you.

Also, you should check your interest...it should be 2.7% at the moment.

The limit you get is obviously dependent upon your/your co-signer's debt-to-income ratio and assets. As long as you meet the underwriter's requirements you'll get the maximum limit whether you're an IMG or not. All they care about is having someone to go after if you the loans aren't paid on time.

The thing is, the never really gave a hard deadline for first round of offers, just a hand wavy deadline on the ABP forms ("End of March Early April"). So it's completely fair for them to take however long to make their decisions. Also, in the last couple of years, from the threads I read from 2014-15, I saw a few people who were waiting for TCD to reply, having gotten an NUIG offer, only to have the deadline for the deposit for NUIG being super early that they had to risk paying or losing their offer, waiting for TCD. I think one thing everyone waiting for TCD/NUIG can take solace in this year is they might send out offers around the same time, and hopefully those who do get multiple offers, will be able to make a sound decision instead of risking a deposit for a school they might not want to go to whilst waiting for an offer from a school they did want to hear back from

EDIT: Please ignore the grammar mistakes

That's very true. And its okay, I was just having a rough day. I just want to hear some good news soon.

That's very true. And its okay, I was just having a rough day. I just want to hear some good news soon.
You're not alone in this lol. Being constantly restless about TCD/NUIG has not helped me at all in focusing on exam prep

The limit you get is obviously dependent upon your/your co-signer's debt-to-income ratio and assets. As long as you meet the underwriter's requirements you'll get the maximum limit whether you're an IMG or not. All they care about is having someone to go after if you the loans aren't paid on time.
I think though some banks have stated that the interest rate will be prime+ for schools outside of Canada, is that no longer true?

What is the attrition rate at Irish schools?/ how many people fail exams or classes each semester?

I heard about 5 people failed at UCC last year (out of 70ish), but they let you do an oral exam if you fail (unless it's a bad fail) so usually the whole class or close to will make it to the next year.

The attrition rates are very low. I know people have repeated a year, but personally haven't heard of anyone being kicked out.

I just talked to the ABP, the lady on the phone said TCD/NUIG will release offers 'hopefully sometime this month', so I would definitely focus on things you can control, like studying, exercising, meditating etc. Otherwise it's too stressful.
We just need to think that good things are coming our way and concentrate on the present moment. We will go wherever we need to be <3

Looks like I'm going to be letting my UCC offer go as well, got an offer to a program here in the states that I'm gonna be taking up. Best of luck to all of you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like I'm going to be letting my UCC offer go as well, got an offer to a program here in the states that I'm gonna be taking up. Best of luck to all of you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What's the program? Graduate degree?

Does anyone know anything about moving to Ireland with a partner (not married). From what I'm reading they can only stay for 90 days. Is there some way to list them as a dependent?

Does anyone know anything about moving to Ireland with a partner (not married). From what I'm reading they can only stay for 90 days. Is there some way to list them as a dependent?
I found a workaround by having a partner who's an Irish citizen

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Get married on paper in secret? That worked for a friend of mine and her "boyfriend".

I know that TCD amd NUIG still haven't sent put their first round acceptance letters, but has anyone recieved rejection letters yet from any of tue other schools? I am anxiously waiting to hear back.

I know that TCD amd NUIG still haven't sent put their first round acceptance letters, but has anyone recieved rejection letters yet from any of tue other schools? I am anxiously waiting to hear back.

I feel the same. I haven't hear anything and AB just told me through email that they haven't really done anything with my files. I think some people have been regected in the graduate ones?

I feel the same. I haven't hear anything and AB just told me through email that they haven't really done anything with my files. I think some people have been regected in the graduate ones?
I've recieved a rejection letter from RCSI-Bahrain, but thats it so far. I applied to the 5 year program and I heard that 5 year is sent out last. I don't know how much truth there is to that.

Married in your home country or in Ireland? My boyfriend would be coming with me
Home country..

Unless your boyfriend has eu citizenship...i'm not sure how he is going to spend more than 90 days in ireland? Or maybe my assumption is incorrect that immigration policies are similar in most developed countries.

You will be on a student visa, and can stay indefinitely for your degree, your boyfriend will be a tourist. Only legal spouses and dependent children can accompany one on a companion visa. He will have to get his own work visa or such if he wishes to stay with you in ireland for 4 years.