UQ-Ochsner 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I looked at the match list (PDF in the link) here: And that’s a 97% match rate. I counted 88 people. This link says they have a cap of 120: About the UQ-Ochsner Program – Ochsner Medical Student Association. This link says the class size will be smaller in coming years: The new University of Queensland-Ochsner MD Program. So I think it is safe to assume the class of 2020 started off with 120.

73.33% of the initial class matched on what I assume was their first try. That's way better than pretty much any Carib school, it is just more expensive. Maybe COVID had something to do with it, but I really doubt it.

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I don't expect anyone to have the correct answer. Admittedly, this is somewhat of a rant but I'm not sure where else to express my concerns with anonymity. I'm hoping to hear that I'm not the only one out here struggling.

I'll go ahead and get to the question we've all been dreading:

What happens to us if we can't get to Australia by the start of Year 2 (November/December/January)?

My understanding is that the school is doing all it can to help the students, but the federal government is hampering the university's efforts.

Despite Australia having a HUGE headstart on the rest of the world in terms of low COVID cases, there's been no expansion of quarantine facilities in place, and their national vaccination program is way behind schedule. There's has been no timeline announced for bringing back students. The travel ban has been pushed back (again) to June. This recent article seems to indicate that there will be no return of internationals until 2022.

Do we just continue with school online until we go to Ochsner and miss out on one of the signature aspects of this program that drew many of us to it? Adventure in Australia/global medical education?

How long can the Australian government tolerate the economic fallout from another year without tourism or international students? How long can they dismiss the desire of their own constituents who want to travel outside the country or the pleas of their own citizens abandoned abroad who want to come home?

Would UQ require us to defer a year? In that case, what happens when they have double the students starting year 2 at that same time (this cohort and the subsequent one). What would their match results say for this cohort (sorry we don't have a class this year but we'll have double next year)?

At this point, I would do anything for some certainty and the ability to make plans. My career and life plans are on hold until this mess is sorted out. My partner's life is impacted well.

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer: I don't expect anyone to have the correct answer. Admittedly, this is somewhat of a rant but I'm not sure where else to express my concerns with anonymity. I'm hoping to hear that I'm not the only one out here struggling.

I'll go ahead and get to the question we've all been dreading:

What happens to us if we can't get to Australia by the start of Year 2 (November/December/January)?

My understanding is that the school is doing all it can to help the students, but the federal government is hampering the university's efforts.

Despite Australia having a HUGE headstart on the rest of the world in terms of low COVID cases, there's been no expansion of quarantine facilities in place, and their national vaccination program is way behind schedule. There's has been no timeline announced for bringing back students. The travel ban has been pushed back (again) to June. This recent article seems to indicate that there will be no return of internationals until 2022.

Do we just continue with school online until we go to Ochsner and miss out on one of the signature aspects of this program that drew many of us to it? Adventure in Australia/global medical education?

How long can the Australian government tolerate the economic fallout from another year without tourism or international students? How long can they dismiss the desire of their own constituents who want to travel outside the country or the pleas of their own citizens abandoned abroad who want to come home?

Would UQ require us to defer a year? In that case, what happens when they have double the students starting year 2 at that same time (this cohort and the subsequent one). What would their match results say for this cohort (sorry we don't have a class this year but we'll have double next year)?

At this point, I would do anything for some certainty and the ability to make plans. My career and life plans are on hold until this mess is sorted out. My partner's life is impacted well.
I think it's important to talk about this, and it is difficult since we're all kind of scattered across the US and don't really have great ways to talk to each other. Having this hanging over our heads on top of medical school absolutely is multiplying stress levels. Here's what I'm thinking.
  • December's still a long way away. As vaccine supplies have ramped up in the US, we've seen eligibility timelines contract. Our class will likely be fully vaccinated by the summer. Timelines in Australia may start to move up as well.
  • The school really wants us to be there, as everyone deferring would be a logistical and financial nightmare. I think once we're all fully vaccinated, the idea of a charter flight along with quarantine coordinated by the school (or some other method specific to our class) will become more realistic.
  • I agree that uncertainty is challenging. I have a partner as well, and we decided from the beginning that I would go to Australia and NOLA myself as things would be too complicated otherwise. That's given me the flexibility to sort of roll with whatever happens, but I know not everyone has that flexibility. We are still making progress towards the MD though, even if we aren't exactly where we want to be.
I know this is super frustrating. There's not much we can do except focus on classes, get vaccinated when we're eligible, and be prepared to head to Australia when we can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's important to talk about this, and it is difficult since we're all kind of scattered across the US and don't really have great ways to talk to each other. Having this hanging over our heads on top of medical school absolutely is multiplying stress levels. Here's what I'm thinking.
  • December's still a long way away. As vaccine supplies have ramped up in the US, we've seen eligibility timelines contract. Our class will likely be fully vaccinated by the summer. Timelines in Australia may start to move up as well.
  • The school really wants us to be there, as everyone deferring would be a logistical and financial nightmare. I think once we're all fully vaccinated, the idea of a charter flight along with quarantine coordinated by the school (or some other method specific to our class) will become more realistic.
  • I agree that uncertainty is challenging. I have a partner as well, and we decided from the beginning that I would go to Australia and NOLA myself as things would be too complicated otherwise. That's given me the flexibility to sort of roll with whatever happens, but I know not everyone has that flexibility. We are still making progress towards the MD though, even if we aren't exactly where we want to be.
I know this is super frustrating. There's not much we can do except focus on classes, get vaccinated when we're eligible, and be prepared to head to Australia when we can.
So pretty much you're getting deferred. :[
Highly doubt UQ would charter a plane and the border will be opening up by December. Any plans for that year off?

Int. at another med school following this all closely.
Cool gotcha. I was curious because the charter flight isn't a hypothetical I made up, it's something the school's discussed with us as an option a few times during the meetings to talk about this issue. I'm still reasonably confident they'll sort something out, but we can't really do anything else but wait and see at this point!

Cool gotcha. I was curious because the charter flight isn't a hypothetical I made up, it's something the school's discussed with us as an option a few times during the meetings to talk about this issue. I'm still reasonably confident they'll sort something out, but we can't really do anything else but wait and see at this point!
How regular are those meetings? Good of them to be supporting you at this effed up time

How regular are those meetings? Good of them to be supporting you at this effed up time
They've been every 1-2 months. I think they know a lot of people are stressed out so I'm glad they have them even if there isn't a firm solution right now. If your school's not discussing things with you yet, I'm sure they will as we get later in the year, and I'm hoping the schools will work together to make something happen.

They've been every 1-2 months. I think they know a lot of people are stressed out so I'm glad they have them even if there isn't a firm solution right now. If your school's not discussing things with you yet, I'm sure they will as we get later in the year, and I'm hoping the schools will work together to make something happen.
sentiments across the board are all mutual. Hopefully things will work out

If we are married, and the school plans a chartered flight, will we be expected to be separated from our spouses for a year? We are both vaccinated.

I don't think anyone could answer that unfortunately. Any potential charter flight would have to comply with the rules set out by the Queensland government and we have no idea what that might look like. Also, while we're probably at or near the top of the priority list for UQ, obviously they want all of their international students back so my guess is that's what they're going to be pushing for first, and that we'll get more details on a solution specific to us (if there ends up being one) closer to the end of the year if they're unsuccessful with getting the government to open things up more generally. For now, really all we can do is wait and see.

Are there any current MD/PhD students who could DM me? I'm a prospective applicant curious about what it's like as an MD/PhD there!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If this is successful, it could open the door to a similar initiative in Queensland. We'll have to wait and see.

Keep in mind, UMelb has about 20,000 international students and University of Queensland has about 18,000 international students enrolled as of Semester 1 2021. 120 students per week isn't getting very far in either Victoria or Queensland. I do think we'd likely be at or near the top of the list though.

If any of the mutations evade vaccines, we are looking at another year at least of closed borders. How are you guys coping with that prospect?

for me, online school has been fine. happy to keep doing this
I feel the same way. But I meant in relation to year 2... since you have been given an ultimatum requiring you to defer if you are not physically present.

I feel the same way. But I meant in relation to year 2... since you have been given an ultimatum requiring you to defer if you are not physically present.
i haven't gotten one yet since im at another school, hoping it stays that way

with india's covid situation worsening australia might get a little nervous. optimistic to be able to fly in before end of the year, but year 2 online is starting to look like a possibility (for me)

ultimately despite the convenience of online study, it's better to be there, in person, learning

Last edited:
i haven't gotten one yet since im at another school, hoping it stays that way

with india's covid situation worsening australia might get a little nervous. optimistic to be able to fly in before end of the year, but year 2 online is starting to look like a possibility (for me)

ultimately despite the convenience of online study, it's better to be there, in person, learning
Damson have you heard from your school whether they'll continue to support online learning for year 2 if needed? If they can do it, I wonder what would stop UQ from doing it as well.

They gave us an ultimatum about semester 2 as well, so I wonder if there might actually be more flexibility. We'll see as we get closer to the end of the year, but if it does look like international students will be allowed back in early 2022, I would expect them to be flexible. Especially since international students make up nearly half the class and are paying the bulk of the tuition.

But if it does come down to a decision to defer or exit, I'll defer. Maybe do the equivalent of a research year and try for a competitive specialty XD

They gave us an ultimatum about semester 2 as well, so I wonder if there might actually be more flexibility. We'll see as we get closer to the end of the year, but if it does look like international students will be allowed back in early 2022, I would expect them to be flexible. Especially since international students make up nearly half the class and are paying the bulk of the tuition.

But if it does come down to a decision to defer or exit, I'll defer. Maybe do the equivalent of a research year and try for a competitive specialty XD
Gosh could you imagine though having to defer would suck... so many implications for the school and for students.

If any of the mutations evade vaccines, we are looking at another year at least of closed borders. How are you guys coping with that prospect?
How are you coping?

Each time they've mentioned something similar to an "ultimatum" it never happened. Deferring for a year sounds like a logistical and financial nightmare for everyone involved. Doesn't make sense to turn the system upside to satisfy an arbitrary criterium. My bet is they do the smart thing, the only thing that makes rational sense- and adapt/be flexible with a compromise.

Gosh could you imagine though having to defer would suck... so many implications for the school and for students.
I can imagine a lot of things that would suck more.

How are you coping?

Each time they've mentioned something similar to an "ultimatum" it never happened. Deferring for a year sounds like a logistical and financial nightmare for everyone involved. Doesn't make sense to turn the system upside to satisfy an arbitrary criterium. My bet is they do the smart thing, the only thing that makes rational sense- and adapt/be flexible with a compromise.

I can imagine a lot of things that would suck more.
Am coping as well as anyone could, only with the help of daily bud to calm down lol

It would not be 'news' having to defer. There are international students in 2nd year at Australian medical schools who went off shore for holiday and have deferred (mandatorily)

Damson have you heard from your school whether they'll continue to support online learning for year 2 if needed? If they can do it, I wonder what would stop UQ from doing it as well.
not yet. hoping it wont be the case for me

not yet. hoping it wont be the case for me
Okay. Definitely let us know if you hear anything, and of course we'll post here if anything changes! Hopefully things work out and we can get over there soon, but it's good to try to work together just in case.

Reactions: 2 users
Has UQ discussed what concrete steps they have taken with the Australian government to push for students to come to Brisbane?

Has UQ discussed what concrete steps they have taken with the Australian government to push for students to come to Brisbane?
Yes and no, any ideas they have mentioned typically seem to be shrouded in mystery it feels. Like they mentioned so far they they have been talking with the govt to make plans and that they have an idea to try to charter us there, but no other specific details were given. We have a webinar on may 24th, so I guess we will potentially find out more then.

Yes and no, any ideas they have mentioned typically seem to be shrouded in mystery it feels. Like they mentioned so far they they have been talking with the govt to make plans and that they have an idea to try to charter us there, but no other specific details were given. We have a webinar on may 24th, so I guess we will potentially find out more then.
Thank you! I would greatly appreciate if you or others could share anything discussed.

This is a tangent, but does any current student actually find CBL not a waste of time?

• Haha
This is a tangent, but does any current student actually find CBL not a waste of time?
I think if your goal is to be as prepared as possible for the exam or for step 1, yeah CBL isn't super useful. I think the goal is more to get everyone thinking clinically about what you want to ask or do in a given situation. I think it's also useful to be able to learn from a doctor who's been practicing for a while, but that really depends on the tutor. Also being overseas I like the social aspect since we're a bit isolated.

But yeah, especially when things get busy, I do sometimes feel like I don't have time to get everything done and then having to spend 2.5-3 hours in CBL isn't great.

I think if your goal is to be as prepared as possible for the exam or for step 1, yeah CBL isn't super useful. I think the goal is more to get everyone thinking clinically about what you want to ask or do in a given situation. I think it's also useful to be able to learn from a doctor who's been practicing for a while, but that really depends on the tutor. Also being overseas I like the social aspect since we're a bit isolated.

But yeah, especially when things get busy, I do sometimes feel like I don't have time to get everything done and then having to spend 2.5-3 hours in CBL isn't great.
Ah I see thanks. Also, curious if you don't mind sharing what your specific study plan looks like? Would love any advice/tips I don't know what I'm doing.... I failed MSE.

So personally I think CBL has the potential to be very useful, but i think the implementation at UQ i feel isn't very helpful. In most other schools, cbl is done maybe 2 or 3 weeks out of the block and only once a week for 2 hour usually. I think this allows for a lot of ability to consolidate without feeling overwhelmed. I especially think the first week of CBL for a block is particularly the worst part since we don't know very much. I will say it highly depends on your tutor too since they all take different tactics. If your tutor wants a lot of detail you're kinda expected to spend more time preparing for CBL, meanwhile I have noticed that some people do not prepare for CBL at all so that could be apart of it as well

Ah I see thanks. Also, curious if you don't mind sharing what your specific study plan looks like? Would love any advice/tips I don't know what I'm doing.... I failed MSE.
How do you usually study? I certainly didn't do perfectly on this exam (so take my advice with a grain of salt) but I did well enough to get a 5.

My goal is usually to watch the boards and beyond video associated with what we're studying at a given time, and unsuspend the associated Anking cards. I'm trying to do about 60 new per day. I'm also doing the Aaron's anki deck at about 15 new per day. I do watch all of the lectures live and try to take notes, same with practicals. The flashcards once you include reviews take up a good chunk of my day but I'm not being ultra efficient (I spend way too much time on sdn...)

I think I need to be doing more practice questions, and also do something about pharmacology and microbiology since those are really giving me a lot of trouble, but I'm not sure what yet. Did the report they sent out give you any particular areas to work on?

Last edited:
How do you usually study? I certainly didn't do perfectly on this exam (so take my advice with a grain of salt) but I did well enough to get a 5.

My goal is usually to watch the boards and beyond video associated with what we're studying at a given time, and unsuspend the associated Anking cards. I'm trying to do about 60 new per day. I'm also doing the Aaron's anki deck at about 15 new per day. I do watch all of the lectures live and try to take notes, same with practicals. The flashcards once you include reviews take up a good chunk of my day but I'm not being ultra efficient (I spend way too much time on sdn...)

I think I need to be doing more practice questions, and also do something about pharmacology and microbiology since those are really giving me a lot of trouble, but I'm not sure what yet. Did the report they sent out give you any particular areas to work on?
Hmm the report wasn't that detailed maybe because the deferred exam scores aren't finalized yet? Or maybe I'm an asshat and didn't see it LOL. Thank you Wolvves appreciate your reply! I only did boards and beyond and practice questions but I really struggled recalling small details. Will need to flesh out the lectures more this time around. :(

Hmm the report wasn't that detailed maybe because the deferred exam scores aren't finalized yet? Or maybe I'm an asshat and didn't see it LOL. Thank you Wolvves appreciate your reply! I only did boards and beyond and practice questions but I really struggled recalling small details. Will need to flesh out the lectures more this time around. :(
Don't know if you've tried anki yet, but it's been really helpful for me when it comes to small details. Practice questions are great for understanding concepts and putting ideas together, but so many exam questions will require you to know a particular detail and there's not enough practice questions around to cover all the details.

Any thoughts on when we can actually head in?

@Wolvvs @skiteflies123 @Hogancat01
I personally have no idea. News outlets sometimes say they're not expecting students until at least 2022, but the government and news tends to be more conservative there with timelines from what I've heard. I've also heard that uq is waiting to see if another university can implement a plan to bring all their students in and then just copy that plan. There seems to be a lot of politics at play here.

We have our town hall on Monday. We will find out if anything has changed for sure!

Edit: australian Monday our Sunday my bad!

Last edited:
If there was a substantial update, I think they probably would have shared it with us already, so my sense is that the town hall will just be a check-in letting us know they're still working. Certainly could be wrong, and yeah we'll let you know!

As evidence grows that vaccinated people are unlikely to spread disease, I think it's going to be easier to set up a specific pathway to get us over there. But I don't think the country will be fully open this year or even early next year.

with vaccinations rolling out / states pushing travel corridors there's a good chance we'll get in before 2022

with vaccinations rolling out / states pushing travel corridors there's a good chance we'll get in before 2022
I doubt it.

Reasons:
1. Optics/track record/resume.
Australia has kept community spread covid to near non-existent levels. So, in that sense, they have pitched a near perfect game. Therefore, Morrison is hesitant to ruin that track record for any reason (tourists with deep pockets, international cash cows- er I mean international students, even his own citizens stuck in India!).

2. Vaccine efficacy.
Vaccines are ~only~ 95% effective in preventing contraction of the disease. While I find that unimaginalby incredible given the circmustances, it still leaves that nuissance of 5% to ruin Morrison's track record (see #1). So, allow me to pop your bubble of opening the gates for a vaccine passport.

3. Blundering baffoons (AKA politicians).
Morrison's flacid government has blundered at every corner, miserably undershot every projected target, and botched every opportunity to vaccinate the country- even with a year's head start compared to rest the of the world. It's a classic case of performance anxiety at it's worst, and the one thing he is consistent at. I mean, really, I am impressed at his impotence.

4. Variants.
Chalk this one up to another reason Morrison does not want the "opening of the country" on his resume. Right now, only a measly ~10% of Australians are vaccinated. That was % last time I checked the news, which I have been trying to avoid like the plague (poor choice of words?) because it makes me sad. Even if- by some miracle - every person (incoming traveler and domestics) managed to get vaccinated, Morrison still fears the possibilty of variant strains alluding the protective umbrella afforded by vaccines, which he re-iterates at every chance.

5. Bottleneck.
His band-aid? A hotel quarentine system. The problem? It's slow. Space is limited. Lots of ex-pat Ozzies trying to come home take prescedence over students. And they don't even value their own citizens (see the ban on Ozzies coming home from India?)! If Morrison will turn his back on his own people at the drop of a pin, what makes you think he will so much as blink when we make our pleas to expand hotel quarentine capacity?

6. I want to speak to the manager...who is....uhm...
The feds don't like the states. The states don't like the feds, but need their money to open up more quarentine systems (see #5). No one is taking the lead. The universities are trying (or so they say- I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here because it's in their best interest to have us there- but, really? has anyone seen any evidence or fruit of their labors- UQ specifically?).

7. Xenophobia.
When people get scared, they blame other the outlanders and lock the doors. As our dear beloved Trump (Morrison's template) displayed, fear is a great way to manipulate an entire country.

Bottom line: Morrison sees his record as spotless- and does not want to soil it with Covid splotches.
I disagree. I think he has cut the hamstring of the entire continent. And I'd wager the families who have been torn apart for nearly a year & international students would take my perspective. But our opinions carry no water, that has been made painfully obvious.

Silver lining?
Rest of the world is opening up. Australia is hurting now. It will only get worse without two signifiacant sources of income (higher education and tourism). They've isolated themselves in a bubble. I only hope that seeing everywhere else adapt to a "new normal" will make his constituents angry enough with Morrison that he may actually do something for once. But that will take time. If we were a year earlier we would be good. A few years later, I'd think so too. Alas, we are at the wrong place at the wrong time. Up **** creek without a paddle.

• Hmm
  • Love
I doubt it.

Reasons:
1. Optics/track record/resume.
Australia has kept community spread covid to near non-existent levels. So, in that sense, they have pitched a near perfect game. Therefore, Morrison is hesitant to ruin that track record for any reason (tourists with deep pockets, international cash cows- er I mean international students, even his own citizens stuck in India!).

2. Vaccine efficacy.
Vaccines are ~only~ 95% effective in preventing contraction of the disease. While I find that unimaginalby incredible given the circmustances, it still leaves that nuissance of 5% to ruin Morrison's track record (see #1). So, allow me to pop your bubble of opening the gates for a vaccine passport.

3. Blundering baffoons (AKA politicians).
Morrison's flacid government has blundered at every corner, miserably undershot every projected target, and botched every opportunity to vaccinate the country- even with a year's head start compared to rest the of the world. It's a classic case of performance anxiety at it's worst, and the one thing he is consistent at. I mean, really, I am impressed at his impotence.

4. Variants.
Chalk this one up to another reason Morrison does not want the "opening of the country" on his resume. Right now, only a measly ~10% of Australians are vaccinated. That was % last time I checked the news, which I have been trying to avoid like the plague (poor choice of words?) because it makes me sad. Even if- by some miracle - every person (incoming traveler and domestics) managed to get vaccinated, Morrison still fears the possibilty of variant strains alluding the protective umbrella afforded by vaccines, which he re-iterates at every chance.

5. Bottleneck.
His band-aid? A hotel quarentine system. The problem? It's slow. Space is limited. Lots of ex-pat Ozzies trying to come home take prescedence over students. And they don't even value their own citizens (see the ban on Ozzies coming home from India?)! If Morrison will turn his back on his own people at the drop of a pin, what makes you think he will so much as blink when we make our pleas to expand hotel quarentine capacity?

6. I want to speak to the manager...who is....uhm...
The feds don't like the states. The states don't like the feds, but need their money to open up more quarentine systems (see #5). No one is taking the lead. The universities are trying (or so they say- I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here because it's in their best interest to have us there- but, really? has anyone seen any evidence or fruit of their labors- UQ specifically?).

7. Xenophobia.
When people get scared, they blame other the outlanders and lock the doors. As our dear beloved Trump (Morrison's template) displayed, fear is a great way to manipulate an entire country.

Bottom line: Morrison sees his record as spotless- and does not want to soil it with Covid splotches.
I disagree. I think he has cut the hamstring of the entire continent. And I'd wager the families who have been torn apart for nearly a year & international students would take my perspective. But our opinions carry no water, that has been made painfully obvious.

Silver lining?
Rest of the world is opening up. Australia is hurting now. It will only get worse without two signifiacant sources of income (higher education and tourism). They've isolated themselves in a bubble. I only hope that seeing everywhere else adapt to a "new normal" will make his constituents angry enough with Morrison that he may actually do something for once. But that will take time. If we were a year earlier we would be good. A few years later, I'd think so too. Alas, we are at the wrong place at the wrong time. Up **** creek without a paddle.
Excuse me while i curl up and go cry lol

Hmm. In terms of improving efficiency - Have you tried just reading through slides and not watching lectures live ? It would free up a lot more time for you to focus on first aid / B&B and give you more time to start working through a qbank like RX. I found that UQ could only really test you on something that was physically written on a slide not just said in the lecture.

I know it's still a lot of slides but half of them are garbage slides with nothing testable written on them you can delete those slides out for when you review.

I personally have no idea. News outlets sometimes say they're not expecting students until at least 2022, but the government and news tends to be more conservative there with timelines from what I've heard. I've also heard that uq is waiting to see if another university can implement a plan to bring all their students in and then just copy that plan. There seems to be a lot of politics at play here.

We have our town hall on Monday. We will find out if anything has changed for sure!

Edit: australian Monday our Sunday my bad!
Any news from this town hall ?

Thanks @mcat_taker! Hopefully things go well on the final next week, and I'll try to change things up a bit next semester. For now I actually kind of like the experience of going to lectures live since we can engage with lecturers and classmates via Zoom chat, and being online I don't really have that many opportunities to talk to classmates :p

From the town hall, there really wasn't anything new. They did mention that plans for university student housing-based quarantine are in place and have been submitted to the federal government for approval, and that similar plans have been submitted by all the other states, so now it's up to the federal government to approve. It's kind of a political issue and there's lots of people saying lots of things in the media, and the media doesn't really have the entire picture at this point. Also, if there are any changes, they will let us know by email and will not wait for a town hall to communicate them. They really didn't want to get into any of the tons of possible scenarios with us but that they do have several FTEs dedicating their time to planning and working with the state and federal governments.

Any news from this town hall ?
Yeah basically what @Wolvvs said. They got somewhat defensive (is that the right word?) about us asking why news has posted about other states having proposals and we haven't seen anything from qld. Their reply was essentially that it's all political and news is making it seem like certain states have it more together, which tbh I'm not sure I fully understand because I try to find local qld news not national News. Theoretically local news should have a pretty big incentive to write about a plan if they knew of one considering they represent that city. It's also quite possible that we might have all missed it though since it's hard to find local news and because I personally gave up on looking at australian news, so idk it's whatever. If they tell me they have been making plans for accomodation, it's in my best interest to believe them.

Point is no real news, same thing going on, sorry!

So what do you all think this next meeting will be about on July 20th? A bunch of hooplah? It was rather sudden notice. Maybe has something to do with Delta strain affecting when Australia will get it's act together in terms of vaccines?
Does it seem like a lot of students have deferred already? I think i've heard of 2-3 students who have done so, per my cbl tutor (given, she never really knows what is goin on)

UPDATE: Aussie gov changed their website last night to reflect two new categories for individuals exemptions:
  • students who have been selected to take part in an International Student Arrivals Plan that has been approved by the relevant state or territory government, and endorsed by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment as satisfying the Protocols and Preconditions for International Student Arrivals.
  • students who are in their final three years of study of a medical university degree, who have evidence of a confirmed placement in an Australian hospital or medical practice. The placement must commence within the next two months, and provide medical services to the Australian public.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
So what do you all think this next meeting will be about on July 20th? A bunch of hooplah? It was rather sudden notice. Maybe has something to do with Delta strain affecting when Australia will get it's act together in terms of vaccines?
Does it seem like a lot of students have deferred already? I think i've heard of 2-3 students who have done so, per my cbl tutor (given, she never really knows what is goin on)

UPDATE: Aussie gov changed their website last night to reflect two new categories for individuals exemptions:
  • students who have been selected to take part in an International Student Arrivals Plan that has been approved by the relevant state or territory government, and endorsed by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment as satisfying the Protocols and Preconditions for International Student Arrivals.
  • students who are in their final three years of study of a medical university degree, who have evidence of a confirmed placement in an Australian hospital or medical practice. The placement must commence within the next two months, and provide medical services to the Australian public.

Thoughts?
I think it's likely because of that update to the individual exemption guidelines. If Queensland can get an international student arrivals plan together, I imagine there's a chance we could arrive earlier than year 2, although I could also see universities not wanting to use ISAP spots on us if we'll be able to take advantage of individual exemptions. I think the question is whether the required Observership placements "provide medical services to the Australian public."

I do know that some students have deferred, but I don't know how many.