UQ-Ochsner 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
postponing ths years admissions until 2022
My understanding is that students who are off-shore were on track for 2021 admission consideration were told 'actually, nevermind' in a last minute update from the school. I can't find an USyd announcement for 2021 admissions being postponed but I did came across a int'l student venting on /r/GAMSAT that applicants outside of Australia are no longer being considered.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is that students who are off-shore were on track for 2021 admission consideration were told 'actually, nevermind' in a last minute update from the school. I can't find an USyd announcement for 2021 admissions being postponed but I did came across a int'l student venting on /r/GAMSAT that applicants outside of Australia are no longer being considered.

Yeah pretty much! A student from the usyd thread posted this in case you're interested:

Edit: tldr:; If you can not prove you are physically in Australia, you have two 'choices', suspend your application until 2022 or withdraw your application.

So this is what USYD is all about, in case any one wanted to know.

Thank you for your application to undertake the Doctor of Medicine at the University of Sydney.

New requirement for courses requiring physical presence in Australia
In light of government restrictions on travel to Australia, the University has amended the eligibility criteria for admission to your course to require students to be physically present in Australia: see clauses 13A and 19A of the Coursework Policy.

As a result, international applicants will be eligible for admission only if they are able to demonstrate they are physically present in Australia. To enable us to further consider your application and eligibility for admission, please confirm by clicking this link to confirm your current location

Please provide your response by 30 September 2020.

Depending on your responses you may be asked to indicate whether you wish to suspend your application until 2022 or withdraw your application. If applicants decide to suspend their application, their application will be held over until 2022 and will not need to pay a further application fee. Applicants who decide to withdraw will have any University of Sydney application processing fee paid for the Doctor of Medicine and/or Doctor of Dental Medicine 2021 intake, refunded.

Applicants are reminded that the University will rely on this information when assessing your eligibility for admission to the course. Any false or misleading statements would be grounds for the University to withdraw and cancel any offer of admission or to terminate your enrolment. Additionally, the University does not refund fees if a student’s offer of admission or enrolment is terminated due to the provision of false or misleading information.

How we will use your response
Your response will be used to determine whether you are eligible for admission to this course.
If you are not physically present in Australia, you will not be eligible and will not be considered for admission in 2021.
If you do not respond by the date specified, we will not be able to assess your eligibility and your application may be removed from further consideration.
If you are physically present in Australia, you will be considered eligible for admission and may receive an offer of admission subject to other relevant admission procedures.
If you receive an offer, you will be required to demonstrate that you are physically present in Australia by providing a statutory declaration to the University in the form attached to your letter of offer declaring and affirming that, as the date of the declaration, you are physically present in Australia.

When you make a statutory declaration, you are declaring that the statements in it are true. It is a criminal offence to intentionally make a false statement in a statutory declaration. The University will conduct a random audit of these declarations for compliance purposes.

Reasons for these changes
This course requires students to engage in extensive clinical and research training via face-to-face teaching and placements in Australia. This is to ensure graduates of the degree meet the requirements to be eligible for registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency and that the University meets its obligations as a higher education provider.

After careful consideration, the University has determined this course is not able to be undertaken remotely. We consider it is unlikely that applicants who are currently overseas will be able to travel to Australia in time for Semester 1, 2021 due to the global coronavirus pandemic. This would mean you would not be able to meet the requirements for progression in your course and may forfeit your deposit or be liable for tuition fees while being unable to attend face-to-face classes in Australia.

We acknowledge these changes may be disappointing for some applicants and appreciate the interest you have expressed in studying at the University of Sydney.
You can contact Admissions Medicine at [email protected] or call us if you have any questions about the Doctor of Medicine or your application.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah pretty much! A student from the usyd thread posted this in case you're interested:

Edit: tldr:; If you can not prove you are physically in Australia, you have two 'choices', suspend your application until 2022 or withdraw your application.
I mean it would have made sense to make the first few months online, then revert. But like... okay whatever

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean it would have made sense to make the first few months online, then revert. But like... okay whatever

"
"

does that mean their decision is reversed?

Accepted and just completed the telegraphic transfers! Excited to meet y'all! This is a dumb/silly question, but is parental information necessary for the FAFSA?? I was going to skip it but then I saw that it was recommended for "law/health students".
btw what's telegraphic transfers?

everyone getting "no photo available" on ereferral letter?

after the medical exam, do you need to upload exam results or something to our portal?

police check in our country outside australia, or after arrival in australia?

thanks guys

Last edited:

after the medical exam, do you need to upload exam results or something to our portal?

thanks guys
Did you not get instructions from UQ on accepting your offer and pre-matriculation stuff or something?

• Sad

thanks guys
The referral letter will have a photo once the physician's clinic submits it through e-medical. They take it during your physical. They will also submit all relevant findings: labs, imaging, urinalysis, and answers to questions your doc asks you.

On the UQ 2021 FB page there are links to the background check website. We also have to do one through the FBI.

Hey everyone, I have two questions pertaining to the immunization records.

1.Date format.
  • Should we write the date in Australian format (dd/mm/yyyy) or American (mm/dd/yyyy)? I leaning towards the Australian format, as that is the way the document forces you to format it when using it electronically (I’m bringing the printed out forms to my primary care doctor to fill out).
2. Primary care doctor vs Australian panel physician.

It is highly recommended that you complete this form, in collaboration with your medical practitioner (doctor/GP), as soon as possible after accepting your offer into the MD program. Work with a registered medical practitioner to complete the immunisation form, including documenting immunity and reviewing evidence of your BBV status.

Instructions for Students

The attached immunisation record is to be completed by a Registered Medical Practitioner. To minimise any unnecessary delays and additional costs to you, it is most important you take any past immunisation record (s) to the medical practitioner who will complete this form for you. You must arrange to obtain any required vaccinations or screening tests as soon as possible as it can take some time and multiple visits to the doctor to complete this form. The Medical Practitioner must be independent. They cannot be a near relative (e.g. spouse, partner, child, brother, sister, or parent) or a close associate (e.g. a close friend, neighbour, or partner or child of a colleague).

• OMSA Brisbane guide pdf
For Immunizations: Use the form attached under the “BBV Immunization” tab to attain the correct vaccinations: Compulsory program requirements

Important Note: In previous years, students have had trouble obtaining the correct immunization test for Hepatitis B. Make sure that the test requested is the one listed in the immunization form (HBsAg). The health visa exam includes the Hep B, Hep C and HIV surface antigens but not the antibody test for Hep B which is required by UQ. In the previous years, students have had to make multiple visits to their doctor due to confusion in order to get the accurate test.

For the visa, what did you guys answer for the CoE "Confirmation of enrolment details" question

"Is this course a continuation of the applicant's studies or training outside Australia? Yes/No"

Hey everyone, I have two questions pertaining to the immunization records.

1.Date format.
  • Should we write the date in Australian format (dd/mm/yyyy) or American (mm/dd/yyyy)? I leaning towards the Australian format, as that is the way the document forces you to format it when using it electronically (I’m bringing the printed out forms to my primary care doctor to fill out).
2. Primary care doctor vs Australian panel physician.

It is highly recommended that you complete this form, in collaboration with your medical practitioner (doctor/GP), as soon as possible after accepting your offer into the MD program. Work with a registered medical practitioner to complete the immunisation form, including documenting immunity and reviewing evidence of your BBV status.

Instructions for Students

The attached immunisation record is to be completed by a Registered Medical Practitioner. To minimise any unnecessary delays and additional costs to you, it is most important you take any past immunisation record (s) to the medical practitioner who will complete this form for you. You must arrange to obtain any required vaccinations or screening tests as soon as possible as it can take some time and multiple visits to the doctor to complete this form. The Medical Practitioner must be independent. They cannot be a near relative (e.g. spouse, partner, child, brother, sister, or parent) or a close associate (e.g. a close friend, neighbour, or partner or child of a colleague).

• OMSA Brisbane guide pdf
For Immunizations: Use the form attached under the “BBV Immunization” tab to attain the correct vaccinations: Compulsory program requirements

Important Note: In previous years, students have had trouble obtaining the correct immunization test for Hepatitis B. Make sure that the test requested is the one listed in the immunization form (HBsAg). The health visa exam includes the Hep B, Hep C and HIV surface antigens but not the antibody test for Hep B which is required by UQ. In the previous years, students have had to make multiple visits to their doctor due to confusion in order to get the accurate test.
I'm emailing the program later today so I'll ask for clarification on whether "Registered Medical Practitioner" has to be Australian-licensed or if it's okay for our PCPs in the states to sign off on this.

For the visa, what did you guys answer for the CoE "Confirmation of enrolment details" question

"Is this course a continuation of the applicant's studies or training outside Australia? Yes/No"
I put "No" because the course has not begun yet.

Edit: Didn't send an email yet but I did request a one-on-one meeting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The referral letter will have a photo once the physician's clinic submits it through e-medical. They take it during your physical. They will also submit all relevant findings: labs, imaging, urinalysis, and answers to questions your doc asks you.

On the UQ 2021 FB page there are links to the background check website. We also have to do one through the FBI.
If a criminal charge is expunged through state patrol, local court and JIS how does this affect medical school entry, clinical rotations, residency and eventual job prospects? I think information only gets sent to the FBI if one is fingerprinted and booked following arrest (if arrest was made). But I am not certain about the FBI part.

Members don't see this ad :)
My visa was granted by the Aus Goverment, so they must be expecting to allow students to enter sooner than later otherwise they would’ve just left my application as pending, right? They already had my money.

Also, in reference to that Reddit post basically ****ting on the program, who’s to say it isn’t a handful of salty students having a less than ideal experience? My friend is a second year and they have not expressed any dissatisfaction with the school or program. Remember, this is the internet. Trust no one, and question everything you read.

Accepted students, sooner than later we should coordinate a mass influx of emails to the administration at Ochsner peppering them with questions regarding what they are doing to advocate for us, and encourage them to communicate with us more regularly and increase their transparency. It’s October in 36 hours after all!

Reactions: 9 users
My visa was granted by the Aus Goverment, so they must be expecting to allow students to enter sooner than later otherwise they would’ve just left my application as pending, right? They already had my money.

Also, in reference to that Reddit post basically ****ting on the program, who’s to say it isn’t a handful of salty students having a less than ideal experience? My friend is a second year and they have not expressed any dissatisfaction with the school or program. Remember, this is the internet. Trust no one, and question everything you read.

Accepted students, sooner than later we should coordinate a mass influx of emails to the administration at Ochsner peppering them with questions regarding what they are doing to advocate for us, and encourage them to communicate with us more regularly and increase their transparency. It’s October in 36 hours after all!
How long after you applied and got the health exam in was your visa granted?

Not the person you originally asked, but for me it was about 2 days
Thank you! That's really fast! I was a little stressed because I just applied and it said 7-9 months time, but seems like everyone's getting it soon after the health exam and that's just a general time

Wait so is UQ-Ochsner officially holding classes in-person at Brisbane? If not, is there an online study option to start out? I'm not seeing this information on their web site.

I think there was a varied response to UQ's handling of the pandemic and some people cope better than others. It was personally very difficult for me and many others and in public opinion gathering sessions, many of these opinions were expressed. Imagine moving to a new country, making new friends for a couple weeks before going into quarantine for three months with no roommates, online only classes, no one allowed to visit or allowed to visit other's houses, no eating out, and some lecturers joke that we have more time to study because of quarantine. Like everyone else living through the pandemic, it wasn't what we expected or hoped for. None of this was UQ's fault.

But in the midst of that some people, understandably, chose to go back home to the US. UQ recommended for us to stay put in Brisbane but also stated that all of our course material will be available online if we chose to return home. They never told us we would be at risk of forced deferral if we were to go and I think this $100k responsibility is on UQ, and not the students.
A lot of UQ's response seemed unapologetically business-like but UQ is a corporate university. It is what it is.
On that note, I would highly encourage coordinating a proper response from UQ regarding Feb 2021.

Last edited:
@canquito Did they reply to you? I got my health exam done, but was wondering if they can also sign off on my immunizations compliance form...

On that note, I would highly encourage coordinating a proper response from UQ regarding Feb 2021.

Do you mean that we, as accepted students starting in Feb 2021, should coordinate/reach out to UQ? Or vise versa

@canquito Did they reply to you? I got my health exam done, but was wondering if they can also sign off on my immunizations compliance form...
My meeting with them is coming up. The immunization form and their plans are things I will ask them to clarify.

I think there was a varied response to UQ's handling of the pandemic and some people cope better than others. It was personally very difficult for me and many others and in public opinion gathering sessions, many of these opinions were expressed. Imagine moving to a new country, making new friends for a couple weeks before going into quarantine for three months with no roommates, online only classes, no one allowed to visit or allowed to visit other's houses, no eating out, and some lecturers joke that we have more time to study because of quarantine. Like everyone else living through the pandemic, it wasn't what we expected or hoped for. None of this was UQ's fault.

I wouldn't eat out anyway I just don't feel comfortable taking my mask off at a table where virus magically isn't present but it's potentially present everywhere else. Then, I have to live with the idea that I potentially contracted covid. I'll stick with the grocery store and eating at home for now. Also, let's stop having sports players and U.S. federal government officials not wearing masks and saying it's okay because they test daily. That's like having unsafe sex and saying it's okay because the person gets tested monthly. That's reactive, not proactive preventative medicine. Putting a plastic cover over credit card PIN pads at grocery stores or on a microphone at the Biden MSNBC Town Hall does not protect the plastic itself from germs. I was wearing a mask as soon as covid started hitting the news in March and people were looking at me a bit funny or asking why I wore it. I did this before the CDC walked back the talk about masks not being helpful. So far my common sense has been spot on in protecting myself and I'm going to stick with it.
Okay, I will email UQ and ask them what their study mode plan is for Feb. '21. This is a factor for me in choosing this university to earn my degree at or not. Other universities around the world are offering online study options to start out and this can be valuable time-wise. It's bizarre to study in medical school at home on a computer but for the basic courses it should be just fine. With my recent performance in grad studies I feel I should have no problem doing exceptionally well. Microbio at the grad level is no cakewalk and taking biochem will be so redundant I can do it in my sleep. I'm still of the mind that a PhD is much harder to earn and renders one a lot smarter. Working in a research lab can be boring though.

Last edited:
UQ has been sending me the same generic email every time I inquire about contingency plan if we are unable to attend in person, no mention of online, hopefully they figure it out soon because this is STRESSFUL. We should all try to put pressure on them together to at least have a back up plan.

UQ has been sending me the same generic email every time I inquire about contingency plan if we are unable to attend in person, no mention of online, hopefully they figure it out soon because this is STRESSFUL. We should all try to put pressure on them together to at least have a back up plan.
I asked them about something similar in terms of online vs not starting next year. Got a generic answer as well

I asked them about something similar in terms of online vs not starting next year. Got a generic answer as well
Shoot I wish I had kept the email Shalon sent me. I deleted if after reading it. She did respond right away. She basically said a decision will come soon (I'm guessing this fall sometime, maybe in November when the 2022 app opens?) and the online option is still under review as a possibility for Feb. 2021. They don't want to say anything about it now because they're still looking over the options.

"A gradual return of international students and permanent migrants is assumed through the latter part of 2021, with small, phased pilot programmes beginning to return international students from late 2020,” Australia’s treasury predictions and assumptions from the 2020 federal budget said."

"The treasury drew out a best-case and a worst scenario of border closures, with the upside scenario assuming an earlier return of international students in larger numbers from July 1, 2021, with COVID-19 under control and a vaccine rolled out at the same time. The downside scenario assumes that rolling outbreaks will necessitate the reimposition of severe containment measures, thus delaying the return of international students and tourists."

International students could return to Australia as soon as late 2020

This is pretty concerning to me, since they are saying July 2021 in a best case scenario. That would mean we could be looking at over a year of online from the U.S, unless we would be included in the pilot programs they are mentioning. Has anyone reached out to UQ recently?

"A gradual return of international students and permanent migrants is assumed through the latter part of 2021, with small, phased pilot programmes beginning to return international students from late 2020,” Australia’s treasury predictions and assumptions from the 2020 federal budget said."

"The treasury drew out a best-case and a worst scenario of border closures, with the upside scenario assuming an earlier return of international students in larger numbers from July 1, 2021, with COVID-19 under control and a vaccine rolled out at the same time. The downside scenario assumes that rolling outbreaks will necessitate the reimposition of severe containment measures, thus delaying the return of international students and tourists."

International students could return to Australia as soon as late 2020

This is pretty concerning to me, since they are saying July 2021 in a best case scenario. That would mean we could be looking at over a year of online from the U.S, unless we would be included in the pilot programs they are mentioning. Has anyone reached out to UQ recently?
I'll be talking with enrolment rep later today. But honestly, I don't want to ask "so what's the plan?" since everybody has already done that and heard the same response. That being said, their decision to continue forward online or, worst case scenario, post-pone for a year affects us with what year FAFSA we need to submit, VISA duration, whether the new course requirements apply if deferred for a year, accommodating time-differences if online education is adopted, etc. But again, all these things are contingent on their yet-to-be-reveal super duper secret plans.

Update:
Because UQ Immunization form is an uni requirement separate from the visa health screen, it can be signed off by your regular PCP. It doesn't have to be the panel physician or an Australian-licensed doc necessarily. You can opt for them, but it's not really convenient for most.

There are plans to make an announcement soon by UQ-Ochsner's leadership to explain how didactics will be arranged in the not-so-distant future. No exact date but I was told that I can expect more information by this month's webinar if not sooner. The general impression I got is that students across all years are facing challenges, but because we are incoming students, UQ has the luxury of being able to plan things out a little longer because we're not onboard the medical school bullet train yet.

Also, student aid office is helping students with their finances keeping the pandemic and living arrangements in mind. I'll wait a little longer for an official announcement to see whether classes will be online for the whole year or just semester 1 (I personally have no hope for in-person Feb commencement). Hopefully online start will curb the additional costs of year 1.

Update 2: Haha, I guessed the online start correctly but not the possible to be continued in 2022.... Given the online start I don't think they will allow deferrals. As upsetting as this development is, I can't really be mad since it's months in advance but man does this suck.

F

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
How’s everyone feeling about that email? I’m feeling a little uneasy about the possibility of doing semester 1 online, then potentially having a year between that and semester 2... what would I do with that year? I’m freaked out about quitting my job and losing my benefits for this, only to potentially be not doing school after July 2021 as well

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
How’s everyone feeling about that email? I’m feeling a little uneasy about the possibility of doing semester 1 online, then potentially having a year between that and semester 2... what would I do with that year? I’m freaked out about quitting my job and losing my benefits for this, only to potentially be not doing school after July 2021 as well
Have you already put your two-weeks in? If not I'd hold off if I were you until after the webinar the 20th.

The article doesn't paint a good picture but if we proceed with 2021 start (which I'm still begrudgingly considering), the big green questions will need to be addressed such as whether the year difference will result in financial aid needing to be paid after the 6th month of classes, what are we to do with the visas, oshc, etc.

What are every else's thoughts?

I'm on the waitlist for UQO and have been accepted to Flinders. I was planning on accepting the UQO offer if I got off the waitlist but now I'm not so sure. Flinders has committed to allowing students to begin online and enter the country when they're able to (although I'm not sure how that would work if travel isn't allowed until late 2021, I've followed up with them).

I figured UQO would have a better plan than this. Given there's a substantial cohort of students who are largely located in the US, I would have imagined they could have everyone in-person in New Orleans where they could provide early clinical experience at Ochsner if needed. Maybe it would have been too complicated to coordinate. Or maybe they do get a large number of applications from US citizens doing their undergrad degree in Australia. But if not, dealing with a large number of deferrals and potentially one very small cohort followed by one very large cohort seems just as complicated as figuring something out for students this year.

• Hmm
To your point @Wolvvs , this could just be uq protecting themselves in case it comes out that AMC requires in person classes in second semester. Also, it seems from the email I got from them last semester and this email, they're not exactly the best at phrasing things. It's possible that Australia might open borders and close borders again and if people decide to not come to Australia when the borders are open or if you decide to go back , there's not much they can do for you and in that situation you would have the three options presented. They could have also meant this. Honestly though, I'm not really sure what they mean because it seems likely that in the situation that Australia does not open its borders, they will fight to keep online classes for one more semester. It would be tough losing so much of their money otherwise.

To your point @Wolvvs , this could just be uq protecting themselves in case it comes out that AMC requires in person classes in second semester. Also, it seems from the email I got from them last semester and this email, they're not exactly the best at phrasing things. It's possible that Australia might open borders and close borders again and if people decide to not come to Australia when the borders are open or if you decide to go back , there's not much they can do for you and in that situation you would have the three options presented. They could have also meant this. Honestly though, I'm not really sure what they mean because it seems likely that in the situation that Australia does not open its borders, they will fight to keep online classes for one more semester. It would be tough losing so much of their money otherwise.
That makes sense. I was really approaching assuming that details from the article @canquito posted were accurate/that the country won't open until late 2021.

I attended a webinar hosted by Flinders for international students recently, and they mentioned that the Australian government tends to be very conservative when setting expectations but less so when making decisions. Canquito's article mentioned the government was assuming a vaccine wouldn't be available until late 2021, and it's likely a vaccine will be available earlier than that. In the worst case scenario, it sounds like UQ students not in Australia will need to defer. But that's not necessarily the most likely scenario. Still, things are so uncertain and it makes decision-making very difficult...

That makes sense. I was really approaching assuming that details from the article @canquito posted were accurate/that the country won't open until late 2021.

I attended a webinar hosted by Flinders for international students recently, and they mentioned that the Australian government tends to be very conservative when setting expectations but less so when making decisions. Canquito's article mentioned the government was assuming a vaccine wouldn't be available until late 2021, and it's likely a vaccine will be available earlier than that. In the worst case scenario, it sounds like UQ students not in Australia will need to defer. But that's not necessarily the most likely scenario. Still, things are so uncertain and it makes decision-making very difficult...
Honestly they probably don't only want the vaccine available but probably want it wide spread which I would say from another article would be earliest July 2020. Even if we were to take the idea that the borders won't be open because a vaccine isn't available. I doubt that UQ will sit idle and twiddle their fingers while losing money simultaneously. I think right now they're basing their action off of the thought that the borders will be open by semester 2. In reality, who knows? Just a random thought I had, but maybe they're also trying to weed out people that are not serious about attending?

Ughh was pretty upset with today's email :( but I still have the slightest tiniest hope that the borders will open before February and pretty hopeful before July. Someone in the FB group posted that UQ said they were coming up with a proposal to let international medical students to safely enter Australia. I wonder if they're still waiting to hear back from that or already got denied. Wish we were one of the pilot programs that are letting international students enter.

Last edited:
@Wolvvs, assuming a spot opens up and you're bumped up from the waitlist, would you enroll?

And @skiteflies123, you're right about money being the great motivator. With the pilot program in Adelaine pretty much starting, I wonder if there exists the possibility for us to traveling to a 'safe' nearby country, quarantining or testing negative, and enter Australia assuming border restrictions ease on countries with no community transmission? Super idealistic, hopes but eh, at this point I wouldn't put it past some students to self-arrange this if it were possible.

Reactions: 2 users
@Wolvvs, assuming a spot opens up and you're bumped up from the waitlist, would you enroll?

And @skiteflies123, you're right about money being the great motivator. With the pilot program in Adelaine pretty much starting, I wonder if there exists the possibility for us to traveling to a 'safe' nearby country, quarantining or testing negative, and enter Australia assuming border restrictions ease on countries with no community transmission? Super idealistic, hopes but eh, at this point I wouldn't put it past some students to self-arrange this if it were possible.
Hmm, that would be nice, but as of right now they're not allowing anyone into Australia that's not a citizen, permanent resident, family member, or travel approved by the government right? Also I was under the impression that many countries are not allowing us citizens to travel to their country. We are a pretty big hotspot and if I was a countrys government, I would do the same.

Hmm, that would be nice, but as of right now they're not allowing anyone into Australia that's not a citizen, permanent resident, family member, or travel approved by the governmentright? Also I was under the impression that many countries are not allowing us citizens to travel to their country. We are a pretty big hotspot and if I was a countrys government, I would do the same.
Australian citizens are allowed in at a capped number upon entry approval but a separate program is Charles Darwin University's plan to bring 70 students later this month.
They will travel from Singapore to Darwin at their own expense.
Neat, so they are using a hub country to collect and import the students. I hope this works without a hitch so it can cause a domino effect with schools getting FOMO.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Australian citizens are allowed in at a capped number upon entry approval but a separate program is Charles Darwin University's plan to bring 70 students later this month. Neat, so they are using a hub country to collect and import the students. I hope this works without a hitch so it can cause a domino effect with schools getting FOMO.
I couldn't open up your link, but it seems interesting. Singapore is apparently one of the places that doesn't restrict us citizens from traveling there either. So I guess if you wanted to try to get into Australia earlier, Singapore would be a good start lol

Edit: it just occurred to me that the uq situation with borders opening could be largely citizenship based, in which case I would understand the concern as I don't think anyone could say with a straight face that the US has handled the corona situation well.

I couldn't open up your link, but it seems interesting. Singapore is apparently one of the places that doesn't restrict us citizens from traveling there either. So I guess if you wanted to try to get into Australia earlier, Singapore would be a good start lol
Might as well apply to the Duke-NUS program just to be extra safe. But yeah, cautious hope with a back-up plan is the best way to face these coming weeks. Wishing everyone the best of luck!

Might as well apply to the Duke-NUS program just to be extra safe. But yeah, cautious hope with a back-up plan is the best way to face these coming weeks. Wishing everyone the best of luck!
Only problem with Duke NUS is that apparently its hard to come back to the US for residency. Also I think they have a service requirement now to stay in Singapore. Also, if you're applying to other international, might as well apply to Cornell Weill College of medicine - Qatar. Assuming you wouldn't mind living in Qatar. Apparently, they get the Cornell name on their degree. Still IMG though.

I've been thinking about this and I don't know. It depends on when the spot opens! If a place were to open up tomorrow, I would probably take it.

Only problem with Duke NUS is that apparently its hard to come back to the US for residency. Also I think they have a service requirement now to stay in Singapore. Also, if you're applying to other international, might as well apply to Cornell Weill College of medicine - Qatar. Assuming you wouldn't mind living in Qatar. Apparently, they get the Cornell name on their degree. Still IMG though.
If you're going East, might as well throw in the Israeli schools too and Atlantic bridge to full circle the globe haha. Glad to see that others look into these details too.

I've been thinking about this and I don't know. It depends on when the spot opens! If a place were to open up tomorrow, I would probably take it.
If anything the new email revitalizes this app cycle in a type of way.... I expect seats open, and I hope you get one of them. Best of luck.

If you're going East, might as well throw in the Israeli schools too and Atlantic bridge to full circle the globe haha. Glad to see that others look into these details too.

If anything the new email revitalizes this app cycle in a type of way.... I expect seats open, and I hope you get one of them. Best of luck.
Oh yeah I heard out of those I would say specifically sacker from the Israeli schools (their match is not bad and get rotations in NY) and rcsi ( I just heard this is the best one from atlantic bridge)

@Wolvvs BRO congrats on the flinders accept. As for weighing between UQ and Flinders I'd think it depends on your target country after graduation, prognosis of borders opening in time, level of comfort with starting one year later at UQ.

The article @canquito cited showed that NT and SA's pilot programs are confirmed - I think other states will follow suit sooner or later.

I wonder how many are planning to defer? I really thought about it but my family reminded me that in a year, we will probably still be neck deep in this covid mess and most schools will still probably be online haha.

• Wow
  • Hmm
Sorry for the silly question, but do you all know if the first aid certificate and blue card application can be delayed until the beginning of Semester 2 since Semester 1 is online?

Sorry for the silly question, but do you all know if the first aid certificate and blue card application can be delayed until the beginning of Semester 2 since Semester 1 is online?
Im going to hold off on the Blue Card for now, I went ahead and completed the cpr/firstaid training.

• Love