UQ-Ochsner 2019 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I just got accepted to UQ-Ochsner and wanted to ask a few questions:

1. I submitted my application about a month ago (in early May) and just got an email saying that I've been accepted. However, I seem to have received acceptance despite not doing an interview. Is this an actual thing, or is this a mistake on the school's part?

2. I took a quick look at the financial aid section and it seems like federal loans are only available up to $135,000 in aggregate (both subsidized + unsubsidized). Considering UQ's rather high price tag and cost of living in Australia, I'll need much more loans than that (probably 90-95% of the total tuition across 4 years). Any ideas on where else I can look for loans?

Thank you.

Are you sure you were accepted to UQ-Ochsner and not regular UQ traditional? UQ traditional doesn't require interviews as far as I know.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone speak to choosing UQ-Ochsner over any U.S. schools. The numbers for the incoming class are pretty good so it seems like these students had options. Also do any current students know why nobody seems to match surgery at Ochsner, I think there's only been one match

For my class some people had DO acceptances but no one I know turned down a US MD acceptance to come here. Although scores have increased, a 504 MCAT (threshold for interview invite this year) is still not likely to get someone accepted to a US MD school. As to why those individuals chose this program over a DO school, that is largely a personal question-- perhaps they didn't want DO initials after their name, didn't like the location of the school, didn't like the student body or buildings, who knows.

Surgery- not sure, can't speak to why not at Ochsner besides the 1 person. But it is more important that those individuals matched surgery elsewhere and not just at their home institution. Perhaps they ranked other places higher. Closer to home, etc. I don't know them personally so I don't know if they ended up matched at their first choice somewhere else, etc. Doesn't seem to really be a concern for those people who are interested in applying to Surgery in my year.

Hi everyone, I just got accepted to UQ-Ochsner and wanted to ask a few questions:

1. I submitted my application about a month ago (in early May) and just got an email saying that I've been accepted. However, I seem to have received acceptance despite not doing an interview. Is this an actual thing, or is this a mistake on the school's part?

2. I took a quick look at the financial aid section and it seems like federal loans are only available up to $135,000 in aggregate (both subsidized + unsubsidized). Considering UQ's rather high price tag and cost of living in Australia, I'll need much more loans than that (probably 90-95% of the total tuition across 4 years). Any ideas on where else I can look for loans?

Thank you.
Grad Plus covers the rest. You apply for them, but as far as I know as long as you aren't in default on current student loans you are approved.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview was February 23rd, I was notified that I passed the interview on Feb 28th, and I was informed that my application had been sent to UQ on March 27th. I was told to expect a decision in 6-8 weeks, so between May 8th and May 22nd. Obviously, I'm counting down the days. Fingers crossed!
did you hear back from in that time span?

I know that in previous years' admissions threads, there were people who were rejected on the basis of their interview. They seem to have been informed pretty quickly, though. And honestly, I wouldn't stress it. Make sure you have multiple examples for each value covered, obviously, but I think they mainly want to see that you're a real, dedicated person. Be upbeat and candid, don't over-rehearse, and you should be okay.
has there been any instance of people passing the interview but still being rejected from the school? I am in a dilemma since my interview is tomorrow and they said they can let me know in 5 business days whether i passed or not but it takes 6-8 weeks to find out decision so I dont know if I should let go of the carribbean school I got into

Has anyone who submitted their acceptance and down deposits receive a confirmation of attendance yet?

Is it possible to defer admission? Will I get blacklisted if I reapply next year after turning down an admission offer or is that just for US programs?

has there been any instance of people passing the interview but still being rejected from the school? I am in a dilemma since my interview is tomorrow and they said they can let me know in 5 business days whether i passed or not but it takes 6-8 weeks to find out decision so I dont know if I should let go of the carribbean school I got into
The admissions committee accepts applicants in batches. Because it's rolling admissions (more like stepwise admissions), consider the following: at the admissions meeting following X weeks of interviews, more applicants pass the interview than had been predicted for that time of the application season. The committee options then would be either to 1) fill the class early; 2) raise the MCAT bar.

If I were running a school business where image is integral to, and is at worst second only to, longterm finances, I'd favor option 2 whenever possible. Having said that, there isn't talk of widespread rejection following successful interview, so it's probably pretty rare. So you gotta' ask yourself, do you feel lucky, punk? (seriously though, by my logic, if your MCAT is more than a few points above the cutoff, then your chances of being so rejected would be slim to none).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Yea, its a dumb system. If you got the interview you qualified for it based on your academics, if you passed the interview you passed the second part of the admissions and should be in. It would be highly unlikely to not get an offer in that case as Pitman mentioned. My year was the first to interview and we were never told whether we "passed" the interview portion, only whether we were accepted or not to the program several weeks after interviewing. I'm not sure why they now tell you in 2 steps. Something to ask mededpath if you want more clarification.

My advice would be to drop the Caribbean acceptance or try and defer it. You can always reapply to the Caribbean. You definitely want to prioritize coming here over Caribbean in my biased opinion :)

did you hear back from in that time span?

I did, I heard back on May 10th.

I haven't heard of this happening, but I suppose it's possible. I would absolutely let go of the Caribbean school, though. The residency match for those schools is pretty dismal, to my knowledge. What are your scores, if you don't mind me asking? If you're sitting for an interview, you have a pretty good chance of getting in, especially this early in the cycle. (P.S. Your username is the initials of someone who I went to university with, and I think he's going to a Caribbean school. Funny coincidence).

Has anyone who submitted their acceptance and down deposits receive a confirmation of attendance yet?

Not yet! I should hear back by July 4th.

I haven't heard of this happening, but I suppose it's possible. I would absolutely let go of the Caribbean school, though. The residency match for those schools is pretty dismal, to my knowledge. What are your scores, if you don't mind me asking? If you're sitting for an interview, you have a pretty good chance of getting in, especially this early in the cycle. (P.S. Your username is the initials of someone who I went to university with, and I think he's going to a Caribbean school. Funny coincidence).

I got into AUC and SGU in the Caribbean which are pretty redeemable. I had my interview yesterday for UQO. My stats are a 3.28 gpa with grade forgiveness. (this is just calculating it the us style, not au style where they put more emphasis on the later years) and my mcat was a 505, only took it once

I'm interviewing on August 16th any advice for preparing for the interview or any advice on the process in general

I got into AUC and SGU in the Caribbean which are pretty redeemable. I had my interview yesterday for UQO. My stats are a 3.28 gpa with grade forgiveness. (this is just calculating it the us style, not au style where they put more emphasis on the later years) and my mcat was a 505, only took it once

I think you have a solid chance at UQ, which I would personally choose over AUC or SGU any day.

I'm interviewing on August 16th any advice for preparing for the interview or any advice on the process in general

Look at the five topics they'll be hitting and come up with four or five examples of times you've displayed those values. Realistically, you'll only need two or three examples to talk about at length, but I came up with a longer list because I talk fast when I'm nervous, and I was worried I'd run out of things to say. Don't rehearse too much; you want it to sound natural. It's a pretty lowkey interview, I wouldn't worry.

I think you have a solid chance at UQ, which I would personally choose over AUC or SGU any day.

Look at the five topics they'll be hitting and come up with four or five examples of times you've displayed those values. Realistically, you'll only need two or three examples to talk about at length, but I came up with a longer list because I talk fast when I'm nervous, and I was worried I'd run out of things to say. Don't rehearse too much; you want it to sound natural. It's a pretty lowkey interview, I wouldn't worry.
Did you provide them with lor and cv/resume. How much do they weigh those while deciding on your fate?

Did you provide them with lor and cv/resume. How much do they weigh those while deciding on your fate?

It seems to all come down to your transcripts. I believe they weight your most recent academic years more heavily as is common among medical schools.

My understanding is that your LOR and resume means very little. I know when I applied I didn't even submit LORs. Australian schools generally care mostly about the numbers- so MCAT first and GPA distant second, everything else-- who knows how much it really matters, probably very little because everyone has similar resumes as a premed- volunteering, research, and all the other bs. As long as you can talk about it in your interview.

It seems to all come down to your transcripts. I believe they weight your most recent academic years more heavily as is common among medical schools.

My understanding is that your LOR and resume means very little. I know when I applied I didn't even submit LORs. Australian schools generally care mostly about the numbers- so MCAT first and GPA distant second, everything else-- who knows how much it really matters, probably very little because everyone has similar resumes as a premed- volunteering, research, and all the other bs. As long as you can talk about it in your interview.

Thank you both for telling me this I guess I can stress less about those. Is there a site that I can access their average admitted gpas and mcats?

Thank you both for telling me this I guess I can stress less about those. Is there a site that I can access their average admitted gpas and mcats?
Nope, none, I searched that, couldn't find it at all when applying, but their website shows it, on their video explaining more about their school

Mededpath website usually has a page somewhere of average matriculant info. If you have their minimum MCAT for interview 504 and meet their GPA cutoff and apply early enough I think you'll be fine. Australian schools looking at internationals are pretty straightforward with this stuff and aren't that picky. They just care that you are academically qualified. They raised the MCAT in recent years because they probably had a lot of applicants compared to seats as the program became more popular. Granted I interviewed 3 years ago so things may have changed (at least MCAT threshold has gone up) but that was the understanding then. If you meet their numbers you're in- it was very refreshing being so straightforward.

I know everyone prefers a more holistic decision process but thats where you can shine in the interview I guess. To be honest being straightforward and numbers based in admissions doesn't seem to have hurt my class at all-- they are still an extremely qualified and interesting and passionate group of people.

Do you have an idea of what would be considered early enough? Or too late?

No. You can ask mededpath when the class filled last year to get an idea. BUT It doesn't matter ! You can only apply when YOU are READY to apply- as in your MCAT is taken and grades in. So why bother with hypotheticals.

Wasn't a hypothetical. Have my MCAT score and meet all the requirements to apply. I just haven't applied yet because I'm struggling to decide whether or not to do this SMP next year. I'm having a hard time making a decision, and was asking because I don't want to wait too long. I'm planning on calling Mededpath tomorrow

You can see if you get accepted first and then make a decision on the SMP ?

Is it ok if you finish college the December before you would start? I was currently planning on finishing up courses this summer and have my degree and thus have taken overloaded courses, but this is proving to be very difficult. I want to drop one course and take it in the fall, delaying official graduation to this fall.

Would that be a problem for UQO?
When is proof of your degree required? Is it required to confirm your seat with the deposit?

Did they offer you an interview before you finished your de
Is it ok if you finish college the December before you would start? I was currently planning on finishing up courses this summer and have my degree and thus have taken overloaded courses, but this is proving to be very difficult. I want to drop one course and take it in the fall, delaying official graduation to this fall.

Would that be a problem for UQO?
When is proof of your degree required? Is it required to confirm your seat with the deposit?

Hmm. Did they give you an interview already? I would imagine you can't get your COE without a confirmed degree but mededpath would know.

Does this program allow a US citizen to practice in Australia?

What if you're a US citizen but got your Bachelors in UQ, are you still eligible?

What if you're a US citizen but got your Bachelors in UQ, are you still eligible?
It's understood that with this program you would stay in the U.S. to practice. If you want to practice in Australia, you shouldn't go the Ochsner route.

Any U.S. citizen is eligible for the Ochsner program. Yes, we have had grads decide to go on and practice in Australia, and this has become a bit more common in recent years (a handful each year decide to go back to oz for internship instead of applying for the U.S. match- fell in love w the country while in years 1/2 or met significant other there usually), but you will not have much support from Ochsner in doing so, and if practicing in Australia is something you want to do, then the 4 year program is a better option for that as it allows you more time to build your network and contacts there as you will have 2 years of dedicated rotations there instead of at ochsner .

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

Received an email yesterday that I passed the interview! Has anyone heard of people not being accepted once they've passed this point? I'm probably just psyching myself out but I'm really nervous, since I feel like my stats might be kind of on the cusp -- 3.0 gpa, 507 mcat

Reactions: 1 user
CoE received yesterday if there was anyone wondering. I was accepted in that first batch in early May.

CoE received yesterday if there was anyone wondering. I was accepted in that first batch in early May.
damn thats a long time...did u get an email from toby on how to accept ur offer? I actually got accepted well over a week ago but they said i would get an email with details on how to accept my offer..still havent got anything

damn thats a long time...did u get an email from toby on how to accept ur offer? I actually got accepted well over a week ago but they said i would get an email with details on how to accept my offer..still havent got anything
I received the info email the day after I got the acceptance

Can any current students talk about the UQ-Ochsner professors and how well you feel they prepare you (if at all) for Step 1? Also, are students in classes only with other UQO students or mainland UQ students as well?

Hey all, first year Ochsner student here. As many have said, theres lots of info in previous year threads, but Ill throw my two cents in here for the sake of convenience. As far as profs/lecturers go (from someone who actually attends the lectures); I think they're pretty good-- for Clinical Science. UQ tries to pull in as many active professionals in as they can to talk about their specialties, so thats nice. Of course some lecturers can be rather dry but I dont feel like we've ever been presented with truly irrelevant info in clinical science lectures. HSR/Ethics can really drag on but dont ignore them, they're still credits you need to pass to continue.

Outside of lecutures (8-12 monday; 8-10 Tue, Wed, Fri, every other Thurs) theres a 2 hour anatomy lab (*This is the only time we are allowed in the lab each week*); 2 hours of clinical coaching (My highlight of the Week); Twice weekly 2.5 hour CBL (case based learning) in small groups; sometimes a 2 hour Pathology,Histology, Physiology (all seperate and may occur/not occur in the same week).

For Clinical Coaching, you are with the same small group as CBL. LEARN TO LOVE THAT CBL GROUP-- they are gonna turn into family more than likely and it (like the rest of the classes above) is a mix of all students from the entire cohort. This includes domestic/on shore international/Ochsner. You will have a tutor for CBL and another for CC. I have found out of all the instructors, these are the most invaluable.

As far as course content: It is important to study outside of class and know the little details the lecturers have said/readings have gone over. UQ recently switched to all multiple choice exams for our year-- and theres been some very left-field questions. USE the extra resources that Ochsner students have available to study. The STEP prep stuff is a great study aid so dont leave that stuff until second year to open. In the beginning things are probably going to be really overwhelming and people are going to feel really lost-- theres a big learning curve to this program. Take it one step at a time and use resources. There will be multiple weekly reviews available and everyone has the ability to get a mentor! Get a mentor and ask them for help when you feel lost. Not sure where to find something/how to use blackboard? Ask! Don't know how to handle studying/feeling overwhelmed/need advice? Ask! We've been through it and can help you too.

Living in Brisbane: Its a great city IMO. Housing prices arent too bad, especially if you share an apartment with one or a few people (Its significantly cheaper than Ann Arbor). For my year; people are fairly centered in South Bank/South Brisbane/West End. All really nice areas convenient to the city; clinical units, and campus. Taking a bus, ferry, or train where you need to go is really easy, or you could get a bike (theres bikepaths everywhere). For those from northern climates like myself, its hot! Even now in the middle of winter its shorts/T-shirt weather.

Thats a pretty general guide to my experience, if anyone has more questions, feel free to message me!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if its possible to defer admission for one year? Would we have to re-apply?

Hi guys,

Received an email yesterday that I passed the interview! Has anyone heard of people not being accepted once they've passed this point? I'm probably just psyching myself out but I'm really nervous, since I feel like my stats might be kind of on the cusp -- 3.0 gpa, 507 mcat

Is that your cumulative gpa or did you calculate it using the equation that has been going around? Trying to decide if I should to apply for 2019... but I have not taken the MCAT yet (scheduled for early September) and it'll probably be too late by the time I get my scores back..

Is that your cumulative gpa or did you calculate it using the equation that has been going around? Trying to decide if I should to apply for 2019... but I have not taken the MCAT yet (scheduled for early September) and it'll probably be too late by the time I get my scores back..

it won't probably be too late. It will definitely be too late. Don't bank on 2019 admission with a September mcat. Plan accordingly for 2020.

Dude, I think we're all well aware that it's still really early. But we're excited, and that's fine.

I emailed Toby about the FB group yesterday, and was sent a link to the official class of 2022 FB page this morning. If you have accepted your offer of admission, ask and you will be added!

Have a few questions about loan disbursement for the UQ students here.

Do you basically get the 6K deposit back in cash once loan disperses so you can pay the 6K back to whomever or wherever you got it?

Do they give you living expenses in one lump sum per semester or monthly?

Since loan doesn’t disperse until classes start at the end of February, one is responsible for their living expenses for the one month between that and orientation right?

I think the deposit is 3k isn’t it? And I can’t recall if it was included in my living expenses or not. You have 2 lump sums per year in ms1/2. They usually are disbursed on the first Tuesday after the year starts. No idea how ms3/4 will work for you since they changed it. That also means over Christmas you have long gaps you have to account for. Our orientation was the week before so we only needed to worry about a week or 2 prior to classes starting.

Have a few questions about loan disbursement for the UQ students here.

Do you basically get the 6K deposit back in cash once loan disperses so you can pay the 6K back to whomever or wherever you got it?

Do they give you living expenses in one lump sum per semester or monthly?

Since loan doesn’t disperse until classes start at the end of February, one is responsible for their living expenses for the one month between that and orientation right?

You don't get the deposit back once the loan disburses. The deposit goes towards tuition and fees. You pay a deposit for tuition and you pay for OSHC in advance. You can get part of the OSHC payment back, but that's during/immediately after 4th year. The tuition deposit goes toward tuition & fees, the loan disbursement covers the remaining amount, and anything left after they deduct the cost of tuition and fees gets refunded via wire transfer to the bank account you specify (can be Australian bank or US bank, I did US-based bank).

A lump sum is deposited after UQ subtracts tuition & fees into the bank account you specified, at the beginning of each semester. If you take out max loans, it's enough to get you through the semester unless you're bad at budgeting, an extravagant spender, or both.

It's your call when you get to Australia. Some people will get there super early to relax and get the lay of the land, but most people get there 1-3 weeks before orientation to get settled. You have to be able to support yourself until the loan disbursement goes through, which will most likely include paying bond on an apartment/house. Bond can be as much as 4-6X weekly rent, so for instance if you have a roommate and you both will pay $250 per week in rent, bond will be ($250/person x2 people = $500) $500 x4 to $500x6 --> $2000 to 3000 in bond.

You don't get the deposit back once the loan disburses. The deposit goes towards tuition and fees. You pay a deposit for tuition and you pay for OSHC in advance. You can get part of the OSHC payment back, but that's during/immediately after 4th year. The tuition deposit goes toward tuition & fees, the loan disbursement covers the remaining amount, and anything left after they deduct the cost of tuition and fees gets refunded via wire transfer to the bank account you specify (can be Australian bank or US bank, I did US-based bank).

A lump sum is deposited after UQ subtracts tuition & fees into the bank account you specified, at the beginning of each semester. If you take out max loans, it's enough to get you through the semester unless you're bad at budgeting, an extravagant spender, or both.

It's your call when you get to Australia. Some people will get there super early to relax and get the lay of the land, but most people get there 1-3 weeks before orientation to get settled. You have to be able to support yourself until the loan disbursement goes through, which will most likely include paying bond on an apartment/house. Bond can be as much as 4-6X weekly rent, so for instance if you have a roommate and you both will pay $250 per week in rent, bond will be ($250/person x2 people = $500) $500 x4 to $500x6 --> $2000 to 3000 in bond.

In regards to the deposit and OSHC though, my question is this: Since I am paying 6K out of pocket for it prior to dispersement of loan, shouldn't the loan include that money and thus it should go straight to me since I already paid it.

I wouldn’t be so sure on refund of the oshc. You should just assume that money is gone.

Fair enough. I’ve heard of people getting the partial refund back but it’s more hoops to jump through and documenting of when you were in country and when you weren’t so that doesn’t sound particularly fun to try to accomplish.

In regards to the deposit and OSHC though, my question is this: Since I am paying 6K out of pocket for it prior to dispersement of loan, shouldn't the loan include that money and thus it should go straight to me since I already paid it.

That’s not how it works. If the cost of attendance is 90K and you paid a 3K tuition deposit, then max loans will be 87K because your deposit is credited to your balance, and the disbursement will be 90K-3K-tuition&fees-loan origination fees divided by two, and it hits your account the first week of the semester usually.

Fair enough. I’ve heard of people getting the partial refund back but it’s more hoops to jump through and documenting of when you were in country and when you weren’t so that doesn’t sound particularly fun to try to accomplish.

That’s not how it works. If the cost of attendance is 90K and you paid a 3K tuition deposit, then max loans will be 87K because your deposit is credited to your balance, and the disbursement will be 90K-3K-tuition&fees-loan origination fees divided by two, and it hits your account the first week of the semester usually.

Ok so they basically consider the 3K deposit as if it is already been paid and thus the student doesn't need the loan for it. How about the OSHC though? On UQ FA website it says this is incorporated into COA, so I should receive the 3K back for that right?