UPENN_ 2013 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can ne1 answer wats gng on in PENN..i mean how many invites dey hav sent till nao..

Members don't see this ad.

i had read some place in these forums ...7-8 batches of 7 peope each...on some one fixed day..tuesday or something..from sept to november

Whoa, that's only a max of 56 people for 30 spots. Getting an interview will be harder than getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
r dey don sending all.......or dey gna send throughout till november.........

Whoa, that's only a max of 56 people for 30 spots. Getting an interview will be harder than getting in.

yup very high chances of acceptance if one gets an iv ...in upenn unlike other colleges with a 1:4/1:5 ratio..

dat means no chances fr d ones who din gt intrvw mail.....:(...........??

no no ..erac...dont worry(so soon at least)....its just started..they will send out iv's till oct nov

thanx tontochico....:)...........

Did anyone living outside of the US get an invitation in their mail yet? (I.E: people living in Canada, England, India, etc)?

Hello dentist86, do u mind saying about your other experience like research or publications, community work, continuing education etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello dentist86, do u mind saying about your other experience like research or publications, community work, continuing education etc.

Dental assistant in the states for 8 months, one year dental assistant out of the states.. Neither CE courses nor research experience.

Is it just me, or are they calling people with a NBDE score of 90+ ?

Guys,

This is for everyone who got an interview call. Congrats to begin with, I was in you shoes last year! Please do not get stressed. Penn is the most comfortable interview you can ever have, it is more like a friendly conversation. Just be true to yourself and your application credentials. Just speak the truth on whatever is in your application. If you got an interview call remember they saw something on your application they liked. No scores, work experience, etc etc matter anymore. So if people on the day of the interview flaunt a NBDE part 1 of 96, please dont feel u will not make it! Probably they might not...u never know! Good luck to everyone! Please no personal messages, I can help everyone in a healthy discussion here- Thanks

Hai,
Thank you very much for the insight regarding the interview. Congrats on getting into such an awesome school. Could you please elaborate a bit on the writing sample exercise as to what to expect ? Will it be dental or general ? Thanks again and good luck for your future endeavors :thumbup:

CAAPID mailed my application on May 11th, I received application complete mail on June 12th.. I emailed them today to schedule my IV they said all the slots are taken until October 23rd, if we could know how many people they interview per batch we can have an estimate number of the invitations they have sent until now..

Thanks fellows wish u all the best as well..does anyone know how many people they usually interview??

well i know someone who just passed part1 no part 2 and getting iv call for sep11
so guys believe in yourself and stay positive

I only have a 82 in part 1, and pass in part 2, i have an interview from upenn and every other school I applied total 6, already accpeted in 2 schools, they are no longer looking at scores as long as you have passed everyone is in the same boat, it is your whole resume, what is unique to you, so dont think that you have 96 and will definately get an interview, a lot of universities are also looking at good toefl scores, research, CE, papers, publications[US] and community work like outreach programs and Masters in US also counts a lot.

I only have a 82 in part 1, and pass in part 2, i have an interview from upenn and every other school I applied total 6, already accpeted in 2 schools, they are no longer looking at scores as long as you have passed everyone is in the same boat, it is your whole resume, what is unique to you, so dont think that you have 96 and will definately get an interview, a lot of universities are also looking at good toefl scores, research, CE, papers, publications[US] and community work like outreach programs and Masters in US also counts a lot.

when is your interview?

Did anyone living outside of the US get an invitation in their mail yet? (I.E: people living in Canada, England, India, etc)?

yeah even i have the same question...n btw its a lot about "diversity and gc holders" this time for sure...

Thanks guys, do not lose hope the IV's will continue through December, so there is time for other IV's

wow guys you're really letting the stress eat you alive in here! Chill everyone stress won't get you ANYWHERE :)
I haven't been on SDN since I started applying, and after your posts I kinda think i did myself a favor:D:D j/k

No really guys you should be easy on yourselves now, you did what it takes, been through hell! Studied your brains off and had nerve wrecking exams, now it's your time to sit and relax and watch miracles happen :)

I had my part one scores on 6/30 so I had a TINY amount of time to apply for all schools, so I know how stressful it can be:eek: I mean staying up for 3 days thinking about personal statements and essay questions!! and God were they hectic!!! I prefer to retake part I rather than answering such mind screwing q's :laugh:

I submitted my CAAPID on 7/12 and sent the supplemental stuff late july, got the brochure via mail after that by 10 days and received the application completion confirmation email on 8/2.

On 8/30 I got the IV invitation through mail, and rest assured I believe my application is just average!!!! So you all have a good chance as well!! I think they JUST started to send IV/rejection letters so be patient.

My Stats: NBDEI: PASS, TOEFL: 110, ECE:3.34, EXP: 1 year in my home country and obervership in 07&08 in USA

BEST of luck everyone :luck::xf:

wow guys you're really letting the stress eat you alive in here! Chill everyone stress won't get you ANYWHERE :)
I haven't been on SDN since I started applying, and after your posts I kinda think i did myself a favor:D:D j/k

No really guys you should be easy on yourselves now, you did what it takes, been through hell! Studied your brains off and had nerve wrecking exams, now it's your time to sit and relax and watch miracles happen :)

I had my part one scores on 6/30 so I had a TINY amount of time to apply for all schools, so I know how stressful it can be:eek: I mean staying up for 3 days thinking about personal statements and essay questions!! and God were they hectic!!! I prefer to retake part I rather than answering such mind screwing q's :laugh:

I submitted my CAAPID on 7/12 and sent the supplemental stuff late july, got the brochure via mail after that by 10 days and received the application completion confirmation email on 8/2.

On 8/30 I got the IV invitation through mail, and rest assured I believe my application is just average!!!! So you all have a good chance as well!! I think they JUST started to send IV/rejection letters so be patient.

My Stats: NBDEI: PASS, TOEFL: 110, ECE:3.34, EXP: 1 year in my home country and obervership in 07&08 in USA

Wow thanks for such a positive post! Good luck and I hope you get in! :)

very encouraging post.......

Thanks Green Eyes83 & erac! I'm glad you got relieved a little bit :)

btw UPENN are conducting interviews from mid-september till DECEMBER!!! If they won't have interviews in december, they wouldn't include it in their IV's period, won't they?! makes sense!
So I personally think that it's too early to start worrying.
Best of luck.

Thanks Green Eyes83 & erac! I'm glad you got relieved a little bit :)

btw UPENN are conducting interviews from mid-september till DECEMBER!!! If they won't have interviews in december, they wouldn't include it in their IV's period, won't they?! makes sense!
So I personally think that it's too early to start worrying.
Best of luck.

hey gabr...its so sweet of u......n u really did relieve...good luck......nao m hoping to gt 1.......

It seems nationality and green card is playing an important role this time in sending out interviews.

how come u knw dis......dey din mention such thng on dre site....about GC

It seems nationality and green card is playing an important role this time in sending out interviews.
You're very welome hereicomedds (cool nickname btw:D), but I personally disagree! They come last on the list! I believe experience, extracurricular activities and personal statements come long way before nationality/citizenship. I might be wrong, but that's how I feel about it.... It's a Foreign graduate program anyway, and you get to see a diverse variety of students admitted every year and maybe more than half of them are not American citizens. As a matter of fact, schools take pride in having a diverse student body!

Good luck:luck:

You're very welome hereicomedds (cool nickname btw:D), but I personally disagree! They come last on the list! I believe experience, extracurricular activities and personal statements come long way before nationality/citizenship. I might be wrong, but that's how I feel about it.... It's a Foreign graduate program anyway, and you get to see a diverse variety of students admitted every year and maybe more than half of them are not American citizens. As a matter of fact, schools take pride in having a diverse student body!

Good luck:luck:[/QUOTE

You are right Gabr. From what I remember, diversity is a core value of UPENN. American Citizens are still considered foreign graduates for all dental colleges here in the US, so even if they are selecting US citizens, they will still have a diverse student population for their program because we're all foreign graduates. At the end of the day, we're all foreigners for them :laugh:

Firstly congrats gabr !!! but I still maintain "DIVERSITY" gabr you are from egypt right? Indians might have similar or even higher stats , even more experience but it is 10 times more difficult to land an inv compared to some one from other countries...d US citizens point can be argued upon..but diversity factor I am sure about that..and its becoming increasingly evident since almost 80 % applicants r from india

You are right Gabr. From what I remember, diversity is a core value of UPENN. American Citizens are still considered foreign graduates for all dental colleges here in the US, so even if they are selecting US citizens, they will still have a diverse student population for their program because we're all foreign graduates. At the end of the day, we're all foreigners for them :laugh:
You are totally correct my friend... we are all foreigners :cool::eek:

Firstly congrats gabr !!! but I still maintain "DIVERSITY" gabr you are from egypt right? Indians might have similar or even higher stats , even more experience but it is 10 times more difficult to land an inv compared to some one from other countries...d US citizens point can be argued upon..but diversity factor I am sure about that..and its becoming increasingly evident since almost 80 % applicants r from india
Well Tontochico, first.... how did you know that I'm from Egypt?! LOL you got that right anyway hehehe....
About what you said, you have a point. But in that case, you will have to find something that will make you stand out among your fellow Indian applicants. Simple but true :D

Hello Gabr,
Awesome post. I received an invite too. Totally agreed with what you have said. I do not have great stats and I am from India :) The calls have just started and I am sure many of you are going to get your invites pretty soon. Good luck to all of you. As Gabr said we have all done our best, now we just have to wait for miracles to happen :thumbup:

hi, DOCMAMMA
can you tell me what is ur stats? When did u apply to Upenn??

Hello Gabr,
Awesome post. I received an invite too. Totally agreed with what you have said. I do not have great stats and I am from India :) The calls have just started and I am sure many of you are going to get your invites pretty soon. Good luck to all of you. As Gabr said we have all done our best, now we just have to wait for miracles to happen :thumbup:

Wow docmamma congrats! Best of luck with your interviews:luck::xf:, if you don't mind, can you share with us your stats so that everyone can benefit from your post? :D:cool:

Regards

yeah I agree...n btw got the egypt part from ur previous posts :)

i wonder how many ppl they invite now cause sept 18 to oct 23rd is already 6 tuesdays(7 ppl per day?) ..hope there are more...or hope its like 1 or 2 ppl called on each tuesday :D

I think UPENN is one of the schools that invite limited number of applicants for each interview, and again whenever ur inner daemons starts doing the math, remind them that you still have till December to be interviewed:D:cool:

Wow docmamma congrats! Best of luck with your interviews:luck::xf:, if you don't mind, can you share with us your stats so that everyone can benefit from your post? :D:cool:

Regards

Hey,

My stats are 83 part 1, pass in part 2, 112 TOEFL, GPA is 3.75. Thanks for your wishes. I do have a well rounded experience, so as you said maybe stats are not all that matters. Good luck to you too :thumbup:

Hey,

My stats are 83 part 1, pass in part 2, 112 TOEFL, GPA is 3.75. Thanks for your wishes. I do have a well rounded experience, so as you said maybe stats are not all that matters. Good luck to you too :thumbup:

Congrats!!!! I have one more question, when did you apply to Upenn?? When did you get the application completion e-mail???

Applied end of April, CAAPID mailed it mid May. Received application complete in 2 weeks through postal mail.

Hello everyone,

Good luck to those waiting for interview call at UPENN and congrtulations to those who received it.
I have question regarding "writing sample exercise" on the interview day at UPENN. Is there anyone who knows anything about it?

Hello everyone,

Good luck to those waiting for interview call at UPENN and congrtulations to those who received it.
I have question regarding "writing sample exercise" on the interview day at UPENN. Is there anyone who knows anything about it?

Hey Latika, I was about to write a post regarding this question! I just called their admissions office and asked them about it, at first the lady who answered said that there is no exam what so ever it's just a faculty member interview, then when i said that i'm sure that the sample schedule had a 15min slot dedicated to a writing exercise, she put me on hold and asked someone then she came back and said that I was right and she didn't know that this year they added this exercise thing:confused: Anyway, she said that we will be given a topic to write on, and there is no preparation for it.... So it's simply a small essay writing exercise....

I would like to bring to your attention that the lady i spoke to was NOT Sharon, I recommend that you speak to Sharon if you have questions as she to be the one with the most updated info;)

Last edited:
Can anybody plz tell about the interview questions to be faced in UPENN?