UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All, having trouble with the essays. Does each essay have to be 750-800 words?

I don’t think that limit is strict. You should be writing the amount you think necessary to get your point across, not too long but not too short. I believe the 750-800 words is more of a guideline. One of my essays was about 300 words. ‍

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For transcripts, I am guessing I can mail the paper copy?

That’s how my undergrad school usually sends transcripts so I am wondering.

Update: Emailed them one more time. And they finally changed my status to "complete". After two emails and 5 phone calls.

I had my research PI, who also was my biochemistry lab instructor write me my letter. And I think the science professor is good for sure. I also have letters from doctors who I am currently working with.

This is something I have wondered a lot about and I'm glad you mentioned it- who is best to get recommendation letters from. More specifically, getting them from physicians. I figured getting a letter from an Ochem or biochem professor was an obvious choice, but I have seen mixed responses on getting them from doctors. The logic being that these letters were written after only a short stint as a scribe or a shadow and that a doc can't really speak to the points necessary for a recommendation letter based on that limited amount of time. My question being, because I am a nurse, would those doctor's letters carry sufficient weight with AdComs since those doctors actually DO have solid, intimate insight into who I am as an applicant. More so than even the Ochem professor who I only spent a semester with. I have been a nurse nearly 8 years. I have been at my current job almost 2 years with around 4,000-5,000 clock hours working every day with the same docs. Seems like that has to count for something!

I know that's a little off topic but you struck a nerve with what you said. Been following this thread and it's getting exciting to know that you guys will be getting letters soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back yet? My application was considered complete around 3-4 weeks ago. Just checking to see if anyone is in the same boat.

Has anyone heard back yet? My application was considered complete around 3-4 weeks ago. Just checking to see if anyone is in the same boat.
Ya I am in the same boat. I emailed them a few weeks ago and they didnt really give me any valuable info about when my application would be reviewed.

This is something I have wondered a lot about and I'm glad you mentioned it- who is best to get recommendation letters from. More specifically, getting them from physicians. I figured getting a letter from an Ochem or biochem professor was an obvious choice, but I have seen mixed responses on getting them from doctors. The logic being that these letters were written after only a short stint as a scribe or a shadow and that a doc can't really speak to the points necessary for a recommendation letter based on that limited amount of time. My question being, because I am a nurse, would those doctor's letters carry sufficient weight with AdComs since those doctors actually DO have solid, intimate insight into who I am as an applicant. More so than even the Ochem professor who I only spent a semester with. I have been a nurse nearly 8 years. I have been at my current job almost 2 years with around 4,000-5,000 clock hours working every day with the same docs. Seems like that has to count for something!

I know that's a little off topic but you struck a nerve with what you said. Been following this thread and it's getting exciting to know that you guys will be getting letters soon.

Funny that you ask, the doctors, or really the Dentists (I'm going for Dental School), I have been working for them for about 3 years already. They have much more of an insight on my character, personality, and work ethic. I think a letter from someone who knows you more is better than a professor you've never talked to before (or maybe once or twice). However, I would at least have one professor for a LoR. Another thing, I sent in a total of 5 LoRs (There's only a minimum of 2 letters)

Completed mine back in November and haven’t heard anything yet.

Hi All, having trouble with the essays. Does each essay have to be 750-800 words?
Hi there.
My essays were, but I have some friends who only wrote a short paragraph for each question and still got in. I think as long as you can get your point across you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted mine back in November and just checked the status today to see that it is under review! I have no idea when they changed the status since I have tried to keep myself from checking daily (to avoid stressing about it), but I know I at least checked previously last week. Good luck to everyone applying!

I submitted mine back in November and just checked the status today to see that it is under review! I have no idea when they changed the status since I have tried to keep myself from checking daily (to avoid stressing about it), but I know I at least checked previously last week. Good luck to everyone applying!
Same I just checked. My status went from Complete to "Application is Under Review". This just changed today or this past weekend for me

Hello!
I just applied but just want to get your opinion on my chances.
cGPA: 3.3-- last 60 hours 3.5
MCAT: 493
My essays are pretty strong I would say.
My LORs and ECs are also great. My research is awesome.

Hello!
I genuinely believe that they sort our apps based on MCAT scores, but as long as you put in there that you are studying and planning a retake I think you have a fair shot. Source: I am a reapplicant who got rejected last year cause I had a 485.

I genuinely believe that they sort our apps based on MCAT scores, but as long as you put in there that you are studying and planning a retake I think you have a fair shot. Source: I am a reapplicant who got rejected last year cause I had a 485.

Oh no. I do plan on a retake but I didn't mention that on my application. What should I do now? Email them?
Thank you btw.

Also, if you don't mind me asking. What are your stats now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no. I do plan on a retake but I didn't mention that on my application. What should I do now? Email them?
Thank you btw.

Also, if you don't mind me asking. What are your stats now?
3.4/497 with decent EC's - waiting to hear back from this program or another to decide when I should plan my retake.

I just submitted today (late I know), because I found out at the start of this month that my overall science GPA was getting my applications screened out of medical schools. I sent my transcripts a week or two ago and had been working on my essay responses since.

I'm wondering if anybody can tell me what my chances are for this program?
My overall GPA is a 3.05 and my overall science GPA is 2.93. After my first bachelor's I did a DIY post-bacc and got a 3.89 in 75 hours. It was mostly upper-division sciences, and I had a 3.88 in the science classes. I incidentally got a second bachelor's degree out of this.
I took my MCAT in 2018 and made a 518, which was 96th percentile at the time.
I've been a scribe for 6 years, and for most of that time I've also been the manager for the scribes at my hospital.

I'm mostly worried because it's so close to the deadline, but also because I don't really know of any admissions stats for this program.

I just submitted today (late I know), because I found out at the start of this month that my overall science GPA was getting my applications screened out of medical schools. I sent my transcripts a week or two ago and had been working on my essay responses since.

My overall GPA is a 3.05 and my overall science GPA is 2.93. After my first bachelor's I did a DIY post-bacc and got a 3.89 in 75 hours. It was mostly upper-division sciences, and I had a 3.88 in the science classes. I incidentally got a second bachelor's degree out of this.
I've been a scribe for 6 years, and for most of that time I've also been the manager for the scribes at my hospital.

I'm mostly worried because it's so close to the deadline, but also because I don't really know of any admissions stats for this program.
518 is like an automatic admit I would think. I have not heard them screen out because of GPA, only MCAT, so you should be fine!

Hello!
I think youve got a great chance. I got accepted in march last year with a 496 and 3.5 (and doing great in the program) I know lots of people in our program with mcats in the 490's and even some in the high 480's. But be careful because some of those same people fail out of the program. It's no joke. If you have below a 508 (I think?) you are required to take their princeton prep course. Also I never mentioned I would retake it on my app and got in just fine. I did end up retaking though and got lots of interviews this year so this program definitely holds weight 'if' you do well

Reactions: 6 users
Hi there.
My essays were, but I have some friends who only wrote a short paragraph for each question and still got in. I think as long as you can get your point across you should be fine.

Thanks so much for your reply!! I truly apprecite it.

518 is like an automatic admit I would think. I have not heard them screen out because of GPA, only MCAT, so you should be fine!

Thanks! My hangup is that all the people I’ve seen say they got accepted had much higher GPAs than I do. I’d like to think the MCAT and my last 60 hours/upward trend will get me in, but I’m not sure with an overall GPA of 3.05 :/

So I got rejected from all 3 Texas dental schools. I just heard of this program last Friday and managed to submit everything before the deadline. I just called and they told me that applications are still under review and to check during the middle to end of this week to see if there's a status change.

Last edited:

I submitted my application a day after you. Hopefully we hear back soon

Hey all! We're in a workshop at the moment and our program director told us she has already begun to review applications and rejected a few. Just thought we'd update you.

Thanks! My hangup is that all the people I’ve seen say they got accepted had much higher GPAs than I do. I’d like to think the MCAT and my last 60 hours/upward trend will get me in, but I’m not sure with an overall GPA of 3.05 :/

Withstanding any glaring issues, I can't imagine with that MCAT score and recent academic hours that you would not be accepted into this program. However, you may want to consider saving yourself time/money and just apply to medical schools this year with the application you have now.

Hey all! We're in a workshop at the moment and our program director told us she has already begun to review applications and rejected a few. Just thought we'd update you.

Thank you for the update! Did she mention when she will start to send out the notices for acceptance/rejection?

I submitted my app this past weekend (very late) does anyone know how long it will take for us to find out if they have received our transcripts? (I sent them a while back) Thanks!

Withstanding any glaring issues, I can't imagine with that MCAT score and recent academic hours that you would not be accepted into this program. However, you may want to consider saving yourself time/money and just apply to medical schools this year with the application you have now.
I appreciate the encouragement! I applied to all the Texas schools this cycle but didn't get any interview invites. I met with one of the admissions people at the local state school and they pulled my applicant profile, and told me my overall science GPA of 2.93 was getting me pushed into the "not considered" pile. I'm really hoping to get into this program so I can get my science GPA back up above 3.0 so my app will actually be considered. I figure it'd be better than doing another couple semesters of informal post-bacc sciences, since the curriculum is so rigorous and the program has such a good reputation.

I'm still hoping to maybe get an II from UIWSOM but I'm not confident about them, as it's so late at this point. This is my second application cycle.

I submitted my app this past weekend (very late) does anyone know how long it will take for us to find out if they have received our transcripts? (I sent them a while back) Thanks!
As they receive your transcripts it should come off your “to do” list on the portal. In my situation one of my transcripts, sent via Student Clearing House, was received by them but they could not open/download it. I had to email them to find this out, they did not notify me. I would keep an eye on your portal and contact them to make sure they aren’t having any problems receiving your transcripts. They received all my transcripts and marked them off my portal in less than a week. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thank you for the update! Did she mention when she will start to send out the notices for acceptance/rejection?
No, she didn’t. She only brought it up to use a bad application as an example of what NOT to do. ^-^;
But if last year was any timeline reflection, decisions should be coming within this next week. I got accepted around March 16th-ish? and a few of my close friends got accepted before that.

I appreciate the encouragement! I applied to all the Texas schools this cycle but didn't get any interview invites. I met with one of the admissions people at the local state school and they pulled my applicant profile, and told me my overall science GPA of 2.93 was getting me pushed into the "not considered" pile. I'm really hoping to get into this program so I can get my science GPA back up above 3.0 so my app will actually be considered. I figure it'd be better than doing another couple semesters of informal post-bacc sciences, since the curriculum is so rigorous and the program has such a good reputation.

I'm still hoping to maybe get an II from UIWSOM but I'm not confident about them, as it's so late at this point. This is my second application cycle.
Good luck to you!
Ultimately you make the decision for what you think is best. After the program you’ll definitely be in a strong position if you do decently well. Know a few people that came in with similar sGPAs and they’re killing it with 4.0s and are much more confident about doing well next cycle.

No, she didn’t. She only brought it up to use a bad application as an example of what NOT to do. ^-^;
But if last year was any timeline reflection, decisions should be coming within this next week. I got accepted around March 16th-ish? and a few of my close friends got accepted before that.

Thank you for all your insights and assurances! Can you tell us anything more about what she said not to do?

Ah gotcha, thank you!

I didn't even know this thread existed:
Applied last week and am a little nervous bc I sent over my transcript electronically and the sender said it was received. However, my application still says "incomplete" because my transcript hasn't been received? Since we have about 10 days until everything needs to be submitted, I went ahead and had my school mail the transcript too but I'm a little worried

I didn't even know this thread existed:
Applied last week and am a little nervous bc I sent over my transcript electronically and the sender said it was received. However, my application still says "incomplete" because my transcript hasn't been received? Since we have about 10 days until everything needs to be submitted, I went ahead and had my school mail the transcript too but I'm a little worried

I'm in almost the same situation. It's been a week since I sent my last one electronically, and it's still on my "to-do" list, along with my last rec letter which was also sent a week ago. I kind of want to call tomorrow and check in, but I don't want to come off as too aggressive.

I'm in almost the same situation. It's been a week since I sent my last one electronically, and it's still on my "to-do" list, along with my last rec letter which was also sent a week ago. I kind of want to call tomorrow and check in, but I don't want to come off as too aggressive.
Call!! I had a similar issue last month and they had received but just take time to update your profile. It’s not annoying or aggressive to ask— this is literally their job!

Call!! I had a similar issue last month and they had received but just take time to update your profile. It’s not annoying or aggressive to ask— this is literally their job!

Welp. I called, and they said they're pretty much inundated with applications and updates right now. They recommended I call back if it's still not updated around the middle of next week.

I sent them an email and they responded said they have a lot of documents to process and have a major influx coming in so they said to check back with them on Tuesday to see if it's updated by then. They sent me a generic email and a personal email, both saying similar things, but the personal email asked me for my applicant information so they could get an accurate check. I think we just need to be patient with them but be extra vigilant toward the middle of next week. It is their jobs to check on these things but they can only process so much without us pestering them so even though I'm nervous, I guess I just gotta wait.

I applied and submitted everything by 2/28 and checked myHSC portal and my application status is 'completed' with no tasks required on the to do list. I've sent all my supplementary information, but I am not sure 100% if everything is received and processed? Does 'application completed' mean they have received all my supplementary documents? Also, is there anyway to double check and confirm contact info/status of the recommendation letters on the portal?

I am making myself anxious by refreshing the page and seeing nothing change lol

I applied and submitted everything by 2/28 and checked myHSC portal and my application status is 'completed' with no tasks required on the to do list. I've sent all my supplementary information, but I am not sure 100% if everything is received and processed? Does 'application completed' mean they have received all my supplementary documents? Also, is there anyway to double check and confirm contact info/status of the recommendation letters on the portal?

I am making myself anxious by refreshing the page and seeing nothing change lol
I shared this same uncertainty when my checklist was complete. I sent them an email and asked if it wasn’t too much trouble if they could double check everything was received. They replied and let me know everything had been received and my application was complete and will be “prepared for committee”. So, the “application complete” status should mean they have everything required for your application. You could try to double check with them but they seem to be swamped with incoming documents and emails right now.

I shared this same uncertainty when my checklist was complete. I sent them an email and asked if it wasn’t too much trouble if they could double check everything was received. They replied and let me know everything had been received and my application was complete and will be “prepared for committee”. So, the “application complete” status should mean they have everything required for your application. You could try to double check with them but they seem to be swamped with incoming documents and emails right now.

Thanks for letting me know! I've heard they send deferrals by the end of March, and interviews are April. So, we will see!

Thanks for letting me know! I've heard they send deferrals by the end of March, and interviews are April. So, we will see!
No problem! and are you referring to the medical science program at UNTHSC in Fort Worth? If so they don’t do interviews for their program.

No problem! and are you referring to the medical science program at UNTHSC in Fort Worth? If so they don’t do interviews for their program.

Oh really, then that is for Tech then. I got confused!

For those of us with applications that have been under review for the last two weeks— does anyone have any idea when we will hear back?

For those of us with applications that have been under review for the last two weeks— does anyone have any idea when we will hear back?

I have no idea, but I’ve been under review for the last 3 weeks and definitely have been anxiously checking multiple times daily I was hoping this week would be it. Has anyone heard back at all yet?

Their office was closed yesterday for spring break so hopefully they are going to pick back up today and get stuff moving. My application isn't under review yet so im hoping to be in the next round of reviews :whistle:

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.51.34 PM.png

this was under my "todo" list can someone explain why cause the people that wrote me my letter of recommendation said they submitted the letter.

View attachment 298180

this was under my "todo" list can someone explain why cause the people that wrote me my letter of recommendation said they submitted the letter.

My last letter writer submitted mine on 2/28 and mine’s still marked like yours. It doesn’t update automatically when they submit, the staff have to actually mark it as complete. I think the office is just swamped right now.

The last transcripts from a school I sent 2/19 finally showed up over night and now I'm listed as complete for my application. The admissions office said that they are still clearing a backlog and that updating the status is the last thing they do. I would check status today and call in the late afternoon if something is still missing. The admissions office said that as long as it's postmarked by the 15th you'll be fine, but call yourself to verify. Good luck everyone. Now just waiting for the first post from someone getting an acceptance.

My last letter writer submitted mine on 2/28 and mine’s still marked like yours. It doesn’t update automatically when they submit, the staff have to actually mark it as complete. I think the office is just swamped right now.
So I'm in the same situation as you with my last letter writer sending it in on 2/28. I called them and the lady said they extended the deadline for documents to be submitted from March 15th to March 31st. She said check again around next week or the week after