UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got accepted to the online program today!
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied to the online program in late april and still haven't heard back. Is it safe to assume that I probably didn't get in? I was also rejected from the in-person cohort.

I applied to the online program in late april and still haven't heard back. Is it safe to assume that I probably didn't get in? I was also rejected from the in-person cohort.
i applied in may and i heard back in mid june. are you applying in-state in texas?

i would follow up with them. they have like 200 spots or something and the facebook group only shows like 60 people

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied in may and i heard back in mid june. are you applying in-state in texas?

i would follow up with them. they have like 200 spots or something and the facebook group only shows like 60 people
Yeah, I'm a TX resident. I've tried sending follow-up emails to them before and I never get anything back :/

Are there any students here who are in the online program?

Someone said the program hasn't set themselves up for success. Curious to hear more about people's individual experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
Would anyone consider applying to the online program this late? I know they extended the deadline and they accept around 200 students but I feel like this late in the application most of the class should be filled.

Are there any students here who are in the online program?

Someone said the program hasn't set themselves up for success. Curious to hear more about people's individual experiences.
Hi there! I'm from the online cohort. Because it was the first time they implemented the online program, I would say there were a lot of problems. But because of the feedback they got, I am hopeful that things will change for next year's class. When you get to spring, some of the professors you have differ from the face-to-face. There are like 5 classes that were previously online from F2F, which easy "A" classes so that doesn't change much (clinical research, epidemiology, etc). I would say online has a better experience with anatomy, though. Dr. Handler is new, and she really cares and listens to her students. If you want a letter of rec from anyone, I would say she's a cool one to get! She also tells you straight up what will be on the exam. She even made quizlets and a bunch of practice problems that are basically on the exam itself.

Although it wasn't set up how I imagined (sometimes it felt like we were put behind the F2F), I would say it's harder in the sense that you have to plan your own schedule to get things done on time. The program director always advocated for us to Texas/OOS schools, saying that because we are online, our curriculum looks more closely related to medical school since a lot of schools do teaching the same way that the online cohort does (recorded lectures, etc). Take it with a grain of salt, but I think if you work hard, complain when you need too, it will be a good experience.

Also, start a groupme when you can! And find people who want to study over zoom! We had a silent library where we studied often and supported each other as students. There were the students that were braggers, or always had to share their scores, but there were plenty of students that were collaborative and shared anki cards, notes, etc..

I'm applying this cycle so I'll report back if I end up getting any II's or acceptances!! :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Would anyone consider applying to the online program this late? I know they extended the deadline and they accept around 200 students but I feel like this late in the application most of the class should be filled.
Definitely apply if it's still open! I applied really early, and people got acceptances like a month before me who applied months after I did. I got accepted two days before school started (5:00 pm on a Friday, school started Monday.. they really gave me anxiety for this one). If it's meant to be, it'll happen :)

• Care
Has anyone been rejected yet? I applied and have yet to hear anything!

Has anyone been rejected yet? I applied and have yet to hear anything!
Just got a rejection today. Submitted app on 07/30. Good luck to everyone else! I'm probably gonna reapply to the in-person for the summer. Does anyone know if they do case reviews? Although I know my weaknesses, I believe it would be extremely beneficial for me to hear it from admissions themselves.

I think the Med Sci program is not accepting GRE scores this year? I just saw this in the FAQs (MS Medical Science (1-year) FAQ - Admissions - Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences).

View attachment 288139
I actually attended a pre-PA workshop with UNT this summer, and they specifically said they would NOT give any preference in PA school admissions to those who received the MS MedSci degree :( Which I found very strange (and disappointing, considering I am pre-PA and was interested in the medsci program) , but could also explain the above post about the GRE no longer being accepted.

I am hoping to submit my application by the priority deadline on January 15th. Anybody have tips for the experiences section and what to put in the description section/how detailed we need to be? I know for med school some people will mention a unique experience they had in the description, but I am not sure what UNTHSC is looking for specifically.

Hey everyone! Planning to apply to the online MS this year. Would any current student in the online program be willing to chat about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! How did y'all like the online program?
Hey everyone! Planning to apply to the online MS this year. Would any current student in the online program be willing to chat about it?
This is a very poorly run program. It will cause you an extreme amount of stress and heartache. If I had to go back a year and give advice myself I would tell myself to run.

Just completed this program! One of the worst experiences in education I have ever had and the biggest money grab I have seen from an institution. While one year does sound enticing and the hype around it is crazy, DONT DO IT. Graduating with a 3.0 GPA, did not work the whole year as we were advised not to due to the fast pace. I am not a slouch when it comes to class work either, 3.8 undergrad while working. Classes were not difficult yet the exams never lined up with the content being taught. Professors never get back to you as most of them have moved on and the school just uses their videos or they use random YouTube videos to "teach". Some classes were done well but for the most part, look at my GPA. I do not recommend it to anyone! If you don't get into dental or medical school due to your lower than undergrad GPA, then you are left with 0 job options as research positions require 5-8 years of experience. You have been warned!

Just completed this program! One of the worst experiences in education I have ever had and the biggest money grab I have seen from an institution. While one year does sound enticing and the hype around it is crazy, DONT DO IT. Graduating with a 3.0 GPA, did not work the whole year as we were advised not to due to the fast pace. I am not a slouch when it comes to class work either, 3.8 undergrad while working. Classes were not difficult yet the exams never lined up with the content being taught. Professors never get back to you as most of them have moved on and the school just uses their videos or they use random YouTube videos to "teach". Some classes were done well but for the most part, look at my GPA. I do not recommend it to anyone! If you don't get into dental or medical school due to your lower than undergrad GPA, then you are left with 0 job options as research positions require 5-8 years of experience. You have been warned!
You had a great uGPA, don't think any SMP was necessary in your case. Hope things work out!

That's extremely disingenuous. I finished with a 4.0. I found the program challenging but doable. Maybe you have poor study habits. I didn't necessarily like the program, but I made the best with what it gave us.

Typing this as we got a 5 point curve for Biostatistics today, pushing many of us to an A.

That's extremely disingenuous. I finished with a 4.0. I found the program challenging but doable. Maybe you have poor study habits. I didn't necessarily like the program, but I made the best with what it gave us.

Typing this as we got a 5 point curve for Biostatistics today, pushing many of us to an A.
I don't think they were saying it wasn't doable. They're saying it's poorly run. You even said you wouldn't say you liked it. Just because one can make a 4.0 doesn't mean it's a good program. Everything they said about the professors and the structure was true. That biostatistics class needed a curve because the professor they had 'teaching' the course was literally retired. Who ever heard of a retired professor 'teaching' a class?

Hello guys! I am applying for the Summer cohort UNTHSC Med Sci program!

I will be graduating next semester from a Texas University, but since I did not do so well on my MCAT, I am planning to apply to the UNTHSC Masters Med Sci program. Currently, my stats are 4.0 (science GPA), 3.988 (total GPA), shadowing (104 hours - mainly virtual due to COVID), patient care experience (100 hours), research (240 hours from one lab, 50 hours from another), volunteering (150 hours), teaching experience ( 143 hours). I am nervous about applying because I know how competitive it is. I realized I wanted to do my Master's a little late. I think I won't get priority deadline (Feb 1) because I am waiting for responses to my recommendation letter requests. I know I am not a competitive applicant. Also, MCAT scores are not required for this program, so I think I shouldn't submit my score.

Do I even have a chance? I want to get in, but I am not confident in myself. I should try finding more places to do my Master's. Does anyone know good in-person programs in Texas? UNTHSC is something I want to do since it is closer to my house, and the in-person option seems exciting. Also, they were the only school I found that were starting right after my graduation. Other places I would need to wait for the next application cycle which is too far from now, but I am open to those options. I just don't want to wait too long and then end up wasting a year just hoping to get accepted somewhere/trying to apply.
On the other hand, if I don't get into this program or any others, I apply to. I will retake my MCAT and work on obtaining more clinical hours.

Thank you guys for listening to my concerns.

Honestly, with your statistics, you can get in. If you are so sure of doing well in the program and studying for the MCAT, you can.

Another option is to focus more of your energy towards dedicated time for the MCAT and your clinical/volunteering experiences. If you keep in contact with a few science/extracurricular professors and supervisors for letters of Rex, that’ll help with your application for medical school.

Up to you!

Honestly, with your statistics, you can get in. If you are so sure of doing well in the program and studying for the MCAT, you can.

Another option is to focus more of your energy towards dedicated time for the MCAT and your clinical/volunteering experiences. If you keep in contact with a few science/extracurricular professors and supervisors for letters of Rex, that’ll help with your application for medical school.

Up to you!
Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

I will keep trying for my MCAT during this upcoming semester and once I finish my application. Do you have any insights on the interview process or how you felt like the program was overall?

My experience may be a bit different from other because I was working full time while completing the program online. Difficult year for me. Managed to complete it with LORS and still in contact with my graduate advisor during this application cycle but with stats like yours, you can save time, money and dedicate energy towards the MCAT in addition to Uworld resources.

I believe that there are other programs out there that are better in addition to special programs that may admit you for a year with a conditional acceptance. I am grateful to God for the opportunity regardless, but believe there are better out there.

My experience may be a bit different from other because I was working full time while completing the program online. Difficult year for me. Managed to complete it with LORS and still in contact with my graduate advisor during this application cycle but with stats like yours, you can save time, money and dedicate energy towards the MCAT in addition to Uworld resources.

I believe that there are other programs out there that are better in addition to special programs that may admit you for a year with a conditional acceptance. I am grateful to God for the opportunity regardless, but believe there are better out there.
Wow, that does sound like a crazy year. I can't imagine.

I took a Kaplan course to help me in addition to U world at the end of my course. I still did really bad. My testing anxiety got to me, and I feel like the MCAT changed how they test people now. The AAMC material felt different from the actual MCAT I took. Everything felt like CARS, even the P/S section, where I was consistently doing my best. Ironically I did the worst during the actual MCAT.

What are better programs? Trying to find a credible program online is difficult. They all have different terminologies, according to the university. I am deciding on UNTHSC because it's close to home, and I have my family to support me. Relocating would be difficult since it is very last minute, and I have already signed a lease. But I am open to options you consider better than the UNTHSC program.

I will be graduating next semester from a Texas University, but since I did not do so well on my MCAT, I am planning to apply to the UNTHSC Masters Med Sci program. Currently, my stats are 4.0 (science GPA), 3.988 (total GPA), shadowing (104 hours - mainly virtual due to COVID), patient care experience (100 hours), research (240 hours from one lab, 50 hours from another), volunteering (150 hours), teaching experience ( 143 hours). I am nervous about applying because I know how competitive it is. I realized I wanted to do my Master's a little late. I think I won't get priority deadline (Feb 1) because I am waiting for responses to my recommendation letter requests. I know I am not a competitive applicant. Also, MCAT scores are not required for this program, so I think I shouldn't submit my score.

Do I even have a chance? I want to get in, but I am not confident in myself. I should try finding more places to do my Master's. Does anyone know good in-person programs in Texas? UNTHSC is something I want to do since it is closer to my house, and the in-person option seems exciting. Also, they were the only school I found that were starting right after my graduation. Other places I would need to wait for the next application cycle which is too far from now, but I am open to those options. I just don't want to wait too long and then end up wasting a year just hoping to get accepted somewhere/trying to apply.
On the other hand, if I don't get into this program or any others, I apply to. I will retake my MCAT and work on obtaining more clinical hours.

I liked the program and you'd likely get in. But I don't know if this program is right for you. Grades aren't really an issue for you. And yes the program would likely help with your MCAT, but that's a really expensive prep program.

Why do you want to get your Masters? What purpose does it serve if you want to go to medical school. I think your application would be way better off if you use your time to study for the MCAT and get clinical & volunteer experience. If you do an SMP you're still very light on your hours probably would have to spend another year trying to catch up.

I liked the program and you'd likely get in. But I don't know if this program is right for you. Grades aren't really an issue for you. And yes the program would likely help with your MCAT, but that's a really expensive prep program.

Why do you want to get your Masters? What purpose does it serve if you want to go to medical school. I think your application would be way better off if you use your time to study for the MCAT and get clinical & volunteer experience. If you do an SMP you're still very light on your hours probably would have to spend another year trying to catch up.
I thought if I don't get a good MCAT score, this could be a backup option to increase my chances to get into med school. There is no way a Masters would hurt my chances, but I do agree. Maybe this is not the right option for me. I do need more hours and I will need to work on that soon.

I graduated from MedSci in-person 2022. In my experience, the program was worth it but for my own reasons. I had a poor MCAT ( last year they required an MCAT for admission) and my undergrad GPA was okay but not terrible. I also felt like I didn’t challenge myself in courses that the program had offered.

Personally the MCAT prep course was a waste and the only good thing out of it was TPR and AAMC exams it provided. Some classes were better than others. But I feel that the constant class blocks and material gave me and edge when studying for the MCAT the second time around. Hence, after the program I studied for 6 weeks and got better score.

Take with grain of salt, but during this app cycle interviews I was commended for having an MS, but again bc my situation/undergrad was okay (upward trend). I believe with a better MCAT and more clinical hours you’ll be a great candidate once you apply straight to med school. Save your money and have confidence on your abilities!