University of Waterloo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
YEAAAAAAH ACCEPTED TOO! It came to my junkmail as well.
I can't seem to see my conditions on quest, can you guys clarify where it is?

Right below the row that has the "Admit" status. You should see Conditions:, then it shows a new tab which has a diamond (yellow) icon to show the status of completion of those condition(s).

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone that got in. If you tried and gave it your all and you didn't get in, don't beat yourself up over it. Stuff happens, just recall the whole journey, the experience and look towards the future.

Mde it!!!
Sleepless night payed off!
See u all soon love u alll

Members don't see this ad :)
Proudly changed my status to pharmacy student HAHAHA!!

IMMM INNNNN

omgggg i missed itttttt i was in classs!!!!!

Hey guys, I know it's kind of early. But what are your plans for housing?
Once again, congratulations to everyone. :)

Hmm. My application status hasn't been updated yet, though I got the e-mail.
It still says:
"We have received your application, but no decision has been made yet."

By the way, does anyone know the dates of terms and things like that? What is the timeline of our degree? I know that we start classes in January, but then do we get a summer vacation and then start again in September?

lol, i guess i never considered these things before applying, because my only worry was primarily to get accepted.

Hi LULZ arent you from BC as well if I remember correctly. Yeah my status hasn't been updated either

Proudly changed my status to pharmacy student HAHAHA!!

omg...that makes it feel so much more real!!!! i'm just in total awe right now, feeling like it didn't actually happen and this is all just a dream lol!!!!!

Hi LULZ arent you from BC as well if I remember correctly. Yeah my status hasn't been updated either

Yes I am. Congrats on your acceptance! :) Maybe we just need to wait a while. I'll probably check again once I get to work.

CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :thumbup:

And best of luck for anyone who applied to UofT!!!!!!!!! :D :xf:

Ya I went to accept but my quest isnt updatd
also did eveyrone get this in thier email:

Your offer is conditional upon the successful completion of any remaining admission requirements before December 31, 2011

I'm wondering if thats a generic statement because I am almost 100% sure I have satisfied all requirements a long, long time ago

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED. :) :) though, i had the hardest time looking for it, because it was in my junk mail and my Quest wasn't updated.

congratulations people !!!

OMG I missed everything!! I was in class!. BUT IM INNNNNNN!!!

Congrats to those who made it.. and try again for those who didn;t

I have a conditional acceptance.. just need to finish biochem

:love::laugh::love::laugh:

^ i mean to quote that it went to my junk mail too!!

I just want to confirm...if i decide to accept waterloo now would my application to toronto be cancelled/would i not get accepted to toronto?

i'm leaning towards this is not the way things are but i just want to make sure since this is the way it worked back when we applied to university from high school.

also im in a bit of a predicament because uoft basically told me my application would be put on hold due to a deferred exam for a pre-req...

so when decisions are made on the 24th i won't know if im in or not...and i dont want to let waterloo slip out of my hands....

I just want to confirm...if i decide to accept waterloo now would my application to toronto be cancelled/would i not get accepted to toronto?

i'm leaning towards this is not the way things are but i just want to make sure since this is the way it worked back when we applied to university from high school.

also im in a bit of a predicament because uoft basically told me my application would be put on hold due to a deferred exam for a pre-req...

so when decisions are made on the 24th i won't know if im in or not...and i dont want to let waterloo slip out of my hands....

Just deposit $500 to UW office and you will be OK to wait for UofT.

Congratulations to everyone and I am happy for you guys.

Just deposit $500 to UW office and you will be OK to wait for UofT.

Congratulations to everyone and I am happy for you guys.

Is the deposit due immediately upon acceptance? And is it even partly refundable if I decide to go with toronto?

Is the deposit due immediately upon acceptance? And is it even partly refundable if I decide to go with toronto?

I know it's not refundable; whats the deadline to accept for Waterloo?

Can everyone here post their statistics so we can compare and figure out the average strength of the applicant pool?

I got in as well!

CONGRATS 1ive2sie, I'm sure it's well deserved :) You're also waiting for UofT, right?

And I also wanted to say congrats to all those who did not make it this year for all their hard work and determination. I was in that position last year and I totally know how it feels, but I can guarantee that there is ALWAYS something good behind every event in life, even the bitter ones ;) So don't lose determination, and try your best again if you think pharmacy is your dream.

Haha I had to wait until I got through travelling across USA because I had no reception to find out if I got in but I DID!! I was definitely fist pumping at a gas station when I first stopped re-entering Canada. Congratulations to everyone who got in.. Hope to see you all soon. The facebook page is a great idea! Still waiting for Toronto but Waterloo is my first choice so to anyone else who it is as well and got in I will be seeing you in January!

So excited. The next 4 years will be EPIC:D

CONGRATS 1ive2sie, I'm sure it's well deserved :) You're also waiting for UofT, right?

Congrats to you too helloeveryone. I know you really have a passion for pharmacy so I am really happy for you. It's always great to see when a person's dedication pays off.

And yes, I am waiting for U of T but I really don't know where I'll choose if I get in to both. I know the difference between acceptance and rejection can be so small sometimes so I'm just grateful to be in somewhere.

Can someone who has accepted the offer please confirm how much the deposit is and whether or not you had to pay it right away?

Congrats everyone!! I'm so happy right now. We did it!!!:thumbup:

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Can someone who has accepted the offer please confirm how much the deposit is and whether or not you had to pay it right away?

Hi Mochaswirl, I accepted it but i didnt see any information about deposit. Please let me know when/where we can look to find out how much deposit we have to pay. Thanks

Hi Mochaswirl, I accepted it but i didnt see any information about deposit. Please let me know when/where we can look to find out how much deposit we have to pay. Thanks

Sorry, a previous poster said that theres a 500 deposit in response to my previous question...apparently this was not true then...

I may just email to confirm, as I would like to know before accepting.

Sorry, a previous poster said that theres a 500 deposit in response to my previous question...apparently this was not true then...

I may just email to confirm, as I would like to know before accepting.

$500 deposit applying to your case only who would go over the deadline (June28/2011) before accepting.Sorry for the confusing.

Last edited:
$500 deposit applying to your case only who would go over the deadline (June28/2011) before accepting.Sorry for the confusing.

Wait, so if we accept right now, do we pay the $500 deposit? I accepted and it changed to "intent to matriculate", but I got no news about any kind of deposit we have to make.... :confused:

And if there's a $500 deposit upon acceptance, when is the deadline?

Wait, so if we accept right now, do we pay the $500 deposit? I accepted and it changed to "intent to matriculate", but I got no news about any kind of deposit we have to make.... :confused:

And if there's a $500 deposit upon acceptance, when is the deadline?

nope no deposit.

By the way, does anyone know the dates of terms and things like that? What is the timeline of our degree? I know that we start classes in January, but then do we get a summer vacation and then start again in September?

lol, i guess i never considered these things before applying, because my only worry was primarily to get accepted.

So, I answered my own question. But to those who couldn't find it, here's the link:

http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/page/SCI-PHARMACY-Degree-Requirements

Ugh, I thought I would be able to sleep tonight, but I'm still awake thinking about Waterloo stuff :p It's like a disease, I wonder when I'll be cured ;)

congrats to everyone who got in!!!!
Can you share your
Pcat:
GPA:
in province or out of province:

Here are my stats:

82%
No PCAT
IP

Graduated and had all prereqs completed
:thumbup:

cGPA: 78%
PCAT: 90
OP, graduated.

Honestly thought I wouldn't make it.

Congrats everyone! woot woot

I'm thrilled to get an offer!

Congratulations to everyone else who got in! Waterloo has a pretty thorough screening process for applicants so I'm sure that every offer was well-deserved.

I've been lurking on these forums since before the interview offers came out, but all the countdowns and encouraging words have really helped me get through the long wait. :)

To those who didn't get accepted this year, keep your chin up and try again if pharmacy is the profession that you really want to go into. I applied to U of T last year and didn't get an interview due to a PCAT cut-off, so I know that it feels disappointing, but don't let it stop you from getting what you want.

For future applicants' reference, my stats/thoughts:

In province
GPA: 3.94
3rd year at U of T
Completed all pre-requisites
2 months working as a pharm tech
Reference form completed by a pharmacist

PCAT: 98 composite, 3/3 writing (previous attempt was 99, 3/2.5)

Application profile: The AP is very comprehensive, so I think non-academic activities are extremely important. I tried to fill out as many of the slots as possible with a variety of experiences to cover the qualities that they list as examples.

RC/WT: There were two parts: a science-related article to read and answer questions about for RC, and a short essay with two choices of prompts unrelated to the article. We had to manage our time to get both parts done in the chunk of time allotted (can't remember how long). The time given wasn't particularly generous, and I felt that I had to finish everything as quickly as possible. RC part was fine, and essay prompts weren't bad, but writing is obviously not my strong point.

Interview: I was interviewed on the first day. 2/3 of my interviewers were really friendly, and I felt that the content of my answers was good, but my delivery was not great. I was nervous and flustered, and probably red-faced for a good portion of it. Questions were all ones that you would expect out of a traditional panel interview. Know what your strengths and weaknesses are, be prepared with specific examples to highlight your good qualities, and show both professionalism and personality (5-10 min blurb!). I didn't feel very confident about my interview afterwards because of my delivery and I was bracing myself for bad news, but I'm so relieved now.

The first-year student that I talked to before my interview was really sweet and reassuring. If she's a typical UW pharmacy student, then I'm sure that 1T5 will have awesome classmates too! For a variety of reasons, I'm still leaning towards U of T at the moment, but I'll see what happens on the 24th.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Here are my stats. :) I hope it helps anyone who is interested in applying next year! I know reading this forum really helped me out so now I'll do my best to return the favour!

cGPA: 83%
3rd year completed.
Completed all pre-requisites except a cell biology lab.
5 months working in a pharmacy.
Reference completed by a pharmacist.
Did not write the PCAT. I only applied to Waterloo. :)

Interview: My main tip for any newcomers or for those who didn't make it this time is to try and be as calm as possible. It helps you structure your answers and it goes a long way in making the impact you want. Be enthusiastic and let your passion come through and speak for itself. Try to think of the kinds of questions the panel might ask and practice answering; I know this sounds obvious but I met people on the day of my interview who said they hadn't had the time to practice much at all due to exams being beforehand. Last but definitely not least, know yourself and know your experiences! I think it's neither possible nor advisable to rehearse answers to every possible question until you're numb in the face, so being able to talk on the spot about yourself and your past experiences is definitely a must. :)

RC/WT: The writing portion was okay for me as I've had a lot of experience in that area and the topics were pretty straightforward too, like Fibre said. The article went smoothly but I made a mistake on one of the questions that I couldn't correct in time. All in all, it was a definitely much more of a challenge in terms of timing than what I'm used to for most exam situations and this seems to be the case for almost everyone across the board.

Aside from that, I would say that the hardest thing about this whole experience for me was the waiting game. I'm sure most of us on SDN here would agree!

Last edited:
82% avg
no pcat
finished 2nd year
out of province

Like departure said, to those who weren't so lucky this year, definitely look at ways to improve your application for next year.

The profession calls for individuals who are not only leaders in school, but also within their community. With great leadership comes other skills and values that would make a great pharmacist, such as critical thinking, working well under pressure, able to delegate tasks efficiently to members and also exhibiting confidence and such. All of these make up the attributes of a great and competent applicant.

cGPA: 78%
PCAT: Yes, at 85th composite percentile (3/3 writing)
In Province
All prerequisites completed! (had a couple B- grades for prereq)
Just graduated this year (U of T)
~1 year of volunteering at a Pharmacy (Rexall)
Reference from the Rexall Pharmacy Manager (of that drugstore)

A lot of extracurricular on AP profile (University Peer Tutor, Tutoring ESL students in an elementary school, Executive Treasurer on iGEM Club, Solar car racing club) *5 max slots
Hospital Volunteer (Nursing, Administration, Reception Desk, Outpatient Pharmacy)

Two volunteer research positions (one at hospital, one at OISE/UofT deparment of education)

AP Profile is extremely important imo, and like others stated. Take your time to write out everything well (spelling, grammar, etc.), and make sure you link your experience to the skills they are asking about! OhIEat nailed it perfectly on what skills you should convey on your profile.

RC/WT: Essay is straightforward if you've had experience writing persuasive essays (choose a position on a topic, then defend using real-life experience or things you learned about in and out of school). Reading Comprehension was easy as well if you've ever had to analyze a scientific article for a course, and had to essentially "summarize" the key points (purpose, variables, conclusions, etc.) in layman's terms :)

Interview: I thought I did well for the 5-10 minute presentation, but I honestly felt like I messed up the questions afterwards, since for a couple I had to think on the spot >__<;; Btw, for my group's hour, I was the FIRST to finish (~20 minutes, where everyone else took 30-40 minutes), so I felt very non-confident that I got the admission offer. However, it seems like I answered each question well enough (and concisely enough I suppose) that time difference was not an issue. So for those who get interviews next year: If you finish earlier than every other candidate, do NOT feel discouraged! You may have still given very good responses!!!

Hope this helps all future UW Pharmacy candidates!

Last edited:
I had a terrible first two years of undergrad (didn't care unfortunately..), but a solid last 2 years

Last two years: cAVG: 91%
Cumulative Average (4 years): 78% (what counts..) , graduated with Honors BSc in Medical Sciences
Volunteered a year at a pharmacy, got a great reference letter
All pre-reqs done a while ago
Did a year Masters in Pharmacology at UWO (didn't finish ofcourse)
Had a decent PCAT, got an interview in Toronto last year, and this year.
Took a long time filling out the AP and made it spicy
Had a pretty good interview apparently, interviewers were all very nice and relaxed (3 women), asked typical questions (challenge in life, why pharmacy, big adjustment in life etc..) and RC/WT was straight forward
Second time trying for UW (last time got nothing)

All i can say to people, don't give up, stay persistent.

IMO: my reference letter and AP got me the interview, much more then my average
And the interview took it from there.

Last edited:
I had a terrible first two years of undergrad (didn't care unfortunately..), but a solid last 2 years

Last two years: cAVG: 91%
Cumulative Average (4 years): 78% (what counts..) , graduated with Honors BSc in Medical Sciences
Volunteered a year at a pharmacy, got a great reference letter
All pre-reqs done a while ago
Did a year Masters in Pharmacology at UWO (didn't finish ofcourse)
Had a decent PCAT, got an interview in Toronto last year, and this year.
Took a long time filling out the AP and made it spicy
Had a pretty good interview apparently, interviewers were all very nice and relaxed (3 women), asked typical questions (challenge in life, why pharmacy, big adjustment in life etc..) and RC/WT was straight forward
Second time trying for UW (last time got nothing)

All i can say to people, don't give up, stay persistent.

IMO: my reference letter and AP got me the interview, much more then my average
And the interview took it from there.

Apart from the Masters part, this is very similar to mine hahah... (including 3 women as evaluators in interview).

I also believe the reference letter and AP got me the interview, followed by RC/WT + Interview itself. My marks were what worried me...

Still waiting for U of T Offer next week as well (paid a lot for application fee after all lol). But UWaterloo is what I'm leaning towards atm... so tired of studying at U of T, and another 4 years is gonna be crazy there :S

Seeing all those amazing stats posted so far, I gotta admit I feel a bit intimated being classmates with such bright people :p You guys all deserve this, your stats really show all your hard work to get to pharmacy.
And it's no secret that SDN has been an amazing reference and support source for me, specially in the last 2 years. I owe a lot of what I know about pharmacy now to the information I found on SDN... So I would definitely wanna give back by helping any future applicant in anyway. So below are my stats/thoughts/suggestions/etc...

I finished my second year at UWO (studied Medical Sciences), hence in-province. All prereq's completed.
Cumulative Average: 81 % (unlike most people, my first year average was quite high, but my second year brought my average down :rolleyes:)
PCAT: composite 88 (writing 3.5 / 3.5)
Pharm experience / Extracurricular:
- 2.5 years tech at a retail pharmacy
- hospital inpatient pharmacy volunteering, just a few days
- a lot of hospital volunteer work during high school
- bunch of other typical stuff, surely enough to fill all those spots on AP... make sure you get your AP proofread by a prof or someone if you're not very good in writing.
LOR: from a pharmacist, I'm pretty sure she gave me a very good reference.
Interview: I think the 10 min portion was fine, since I prepared exactly what I was gonna say. The questions were so-so, I think my answers were good but maybe I could've done better. One thing that worried me was that my interview was too long (more than 50 min). My advice for future applicant would be to: 1) be yourself, let everything come out naturally 2) be calm and confident, I was a bit nervous and shaky and I'm sure they noticed that in me 3) if you need to think about an answer, it's perfectly fine to ask them to give you a few seconds, I ended up doing that for one question - it shows you're actually thoughtful about your answers. 4) finally, have a solid question ready to ask them because they always ask if you have questions for them... get ready to create a discussion out of that question!
RC/WT: this test took me by surprise! I think they changed the format of the test for this year. The major thing, as most of you agree, was the the time was VERY limited. The essay part was fine, but the article questions were somewhat silly. For me, I didn't have time to read that entire 10 page article, I just read the questions and looked for answers (I think that's what most people do). Advice for future applicants would be to find a bunch of science articles and practice skimming those articles while being able to pick out details.

Overall, this has been a pleasant experience. I was so relieved when I read all the other comments because most of you had similar experiences as I did: most people felt iffy about some answers during interview, most found the time very limited for RC/WT, etc.
(Big sigh of relief) I'm so glad we got to where we are today, thanks to all the support from all you SDNers :D

Last edited: