University of Waterloo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, for those of you that got accepted please don't forget to join the facebook group. Congrats to everyone, I can't wait.

Members don't see this ad.

Since everyone is doing it, I shall follow suit.

out of province, finished 3rd year undergrad.
cGPA: ~83% (had a terrible first two years, i managed to turn it around by my third year of undergrad).
PCAT: 77 composite (tried it only once because i originally only wanted to apply to UBC and since they only consider the PCAT as 10% of the overall decision, i did not bother on improving it.)
extracurriculars: lots of campus involvement from the science undergraduate society to pre-pharmacy club and international business club. previously volunteered at a hospital and retirement home.
currently doing a studentship at a cancer research lab.
pharmacy experience: ~2 years at a specialized compounding pharmacy.
LOR: from a clinical pharmacist that i've worked with at said pharmacy.
unfinished pre-requisite: still need to complete the genetics requirement, other than that, i was still given conditional acceptance. :)

Hmm... Does anyone know how long it takes for them to change Quest status from "Intention to Matriculate"? (How long did it take for 2010 group?)

Also, did anyone receive any new e-mail about orientation, etc. yet, if they accepted the offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to UW Pharmacy, but I would like to hear some advantages/disadvantages for choosing UW over UT pharmacy (assuming I get accepted to UT). Also, here are my stats:

In province, first time applying to UW Pharmacy
Cumulative GPA: ~3.70, finished 3rd year, all prerequisites met
PCAT: 80, only wrote it once
Pharmacy experience: Pharmacy volunteer + reference from a pharmacist
RC/WT: Very easy. I felt quite confident after I had written it.
Interview: I was somewhat nervous at the start. I rambled and went off topic for some questions, while some of my answers were very strong and convincing. Also some answers were short and to the point. Overall, it was an average performance.

My stats were very similiar to yours AZ

cGPA: 3.70 (84%)
PCAT: 80 composite (only wrote it once) (3/3 writing)
Pharmacy experience: Pharmacy job shadowing for 1 month + reference from a pharmacist
RC/WT: Extremely easy. Only a little uneasy about the essay (why did we need to write this)
Interview: Went very well. I really captured the panel with my 5-10 minute speech and the questions seemed straight forward. I was able to grab the interests of the panel through my answers. I lucked out in that the student graduated from UWO (so she could understand my 5-10 min portion) and the pharmacist plays hockey (one of my leadership questions I answered with hockey).

Good luck for everyone applying next year! I have not accepted yet but I have a conditional offer (for some reason they did not receive my transcript?) Does anyone else have that conditional acceptance? I have all the prerequisites though!

user_offline.gif

Congratulations to everyone who got in this year!! Getting into pharmacy is really competitive so you all need to be proud of your accomplishments. I believe that each and every offer sent out was well deserved. For those of you who didn't get in, remember you are not alone! Everything happens for a reason so you should be proud of yourselves for trying hard and never ever give up!

Unfortunately, I didn't get in this year and I have been really upset for the past few days because I have no idea where I went wrong. I would really appreciate it if you all could take a little time out of your schedules to give me your inputs as to where you think I went wrong. I have listed my stats below:

In province: Finished 3rd year undergrad at the University of Waterloo
Cumulative GPA: 83%, finished all the pre-requisite requirements last term
Pharmacy experience: Volunteered at a retail pharmacy for 1 and a half years. I also completed my co-op term at a retail pharmacy and I loved every aspect of it! Got a letter of reference from a pharmacist.
Extracurricular Activities: Division Manager at Waterloo Residence, University of Waterloo Biochemistry Laboratory TA, English Tutor at UW International Students Office, Marketing Assistant at UW Career Services, Executive member of the World Action Council
Interview: My 10 minute presentation was on poverty and what I have done to help children in third world countries. I made a scrapbook with pictures and the interviewers looked really interested in my presentation. The questions were easy - I have been so involved in the Waterloo community that I had some sort of example for the questions asked. At the end of the interview, the UW professor in the panel told me that I did an amazing job!
RC/WT: I must admit that this test required good time management skills but I have always been confident with my writing and comprehension skills. In my second year, I took 2 tough writing courses at the University of Waterloo and got straight A's. For the reading comprehension component, I read the entire article and underlined important information. I answered all the questions in the reading comprehension section and that took awhile due to the length of the article. I allocated 15 minutes to the writing section because one of the topics overlapped with my interview. I wasn't sure if we were supposed to make a thesis statement though I did have an intro, conclusion and two body paragraphs. Did you guys do the writing part in essay format with a thesis? How much time did you allocate for the reading comprehension and writing section?

I'd appreciate any sort of feedback as to where you think I could improve. I have always been so passionate about pharmacy and I can understand the true value of getting an offer from UW pharmacy. Waterloo is my second home and I'd like to congratulate all of you for your hardwork, dedication and enthusiasm! I wish you all the best in the coming future. Thanks for all your help!

^^ I wish I could help but I don't understand why you didn't get in either.

I can however share my experience. My interview did not go very well. I was nervous, flustered and forgot a lot of what I was going to say during my 5-10 minutes but I regained my composure for the most part during the question segment and touched upon a whole host of experiences that I had and how they shaped my outlook.

There are some people that say the RC/WT is worth 50% of the admission (with the interview being the other 50%) and I am inclined to agree. In fact, I am confident that the essay is what got me in. Although my interview was not great, I composed a really great essay that highlighted my views and personal philosophy, not necessarily as a pharmacist but as a person. I guess the adcom thought that those views and attributes would translate well to the profession of pharmacy.

My advice would be to keep trying. I think you've applied to U of T as well so I'm sure you'll get some good news from there. Its hard to say what quality the adcom is looking for exactly but as long as your forthright and display your "best self" to them you will get in.

My stats were very similiar to yours AZ

cGPA: 3.70 (84%)
PCAT: 80 composite (only wrote it once) (3/3 writing)
Pharmacy experience: Pharmacy job shadowing for 1 month + reference from a pharmacist
RC/WT: Extremely easy. Only a little uneasy about the essay (why did we need to write this)
Interview: Went very well. I really captured the panel with my 5-10 minute speech and the questions seemed straight forward. I was able to grab the interests of the panel through my answers. I lucked out in that the student graduated from UWO (so she could understand my 5-10 min portion) and the pharmacist plays hockey (one of my leadership questions I answered with hockey).

Good luck for everyone applying next year! I have not accepted yet but I have a conditional offer (for some reason they did not receive my transcript?) Does anyone else have that conditional acceptance? I have all the prerequisites though!

user_offline.gif

I have a conditional offer as well, however I do have all the prerequisites completed. On QUEST account, does the condition show "Admission Requirements Met" with a Green checkmark beside it?

I think it's a generic admission response to all applicants (telling them to look at any conditions they may happen to have).

Anyone e-mail them about that yet?

^^ inspired786

I recommend that you contact the adcom or have someone else contact them to find out exactly what went wrong. This way, you can have a clearer picture and prehaps improve next time. That's what one of the applicant did (he had his father contact the adcom and they said his interview was superb but that his essay did not meet the minimums). This way, you will for sure know where to improve and it would save you a lot of energy. Good luck:)

^ iNspiReD786

I honestly can't pick out one single thing from your post that would convince me for Waterloo's decision of not admitting you! Your average is very good, and the fact that you got an interview means that your average and your EC is good enough for them. The only things that might have went wrong are interview and the test.

If you end up applying for Waterloo next year, maybe try to spend less time on the article portion by reading the questions first THEN searching for answers. That article was VERY long and reading the entire thing + underlining it would waist a lot of your time.

And personally, I think having a traditional 5 paragraph essay (intro, 3 bodies, conclusion) always works best. I always use this system and I try to keep it simple and to-the-point. Most important thing would be to write in a way so ANYONE can understand your writing clearly (ie. don't try to make it sound super professional, just keep things as simple as possible.)

Anyways, that's all I can think of... and I don't think I would be in the position of giving you advice, I pretty much stated what I did myself on that interview day.

-Best of luck ;)

inspired786,

you sound like a very deserving candidate and its really unfortunate that that happen to you.

i agree with helloeveryone, it's likely that if something went wrong it must have been the test. The article was very long and had a lot of unnecessary information (in the context of answering the questions). I found what worked well/helped me get through it really quickly was reading the questions first and then very quickly skimming through the article to find the answers, since many of them were easily identifiable without having to read the article in great depth.

Similar to you, one of the essay questions overlapped with my presentation as well. I actually repeated the content of my presentation in the essay in a more elegant way but I geared away from a structured essay and went more towards an informal essay (still with an intro and conclusion, but not necessarily the 3 main body paragraphs).

I felt really crappy coming out of my interview, my panel was not so great - I didn't feel like they were taking an interest in what I was saying and felt they just looked exhausted/bored. So after my interview, I had basically lost hope of getting in...so I sincerely believe my redeeming point was the essay and the test...

anyways, i wish you all the best with pharmacy...i truly hope you get in to other places this year or to waterloo next year. Perhaps you could still join the class of 2015 in the limited seats that may open up later!!

inspired786,

I'm really surprised and sorry to hear that you didn't receive an offer because you seem like a really well-rounded candidate.

Since you felt that your interview and essay were great, the RC portion of the test was probably your weak point. I only skimmed through the first page of the article in order to get the main idea, then read the questions and looked for paragraphs to read and found answers that way. It saves time and helps me focus on specifically finding what the questions are asking.

The rest of your application looks very strong, so those are the only useful tips that I can think of for you. You sound really passionate and genuinely interested in pharmacy, so definitely don't be too hard on yourself and just take this as a learning experience. I really hope you get better news from other schools, or if you decide to apply to Waterloo again!

Thank you to each and everyone of you for your support! I am grateful for all your advices and I'll definitely use these tips when I apply again in September :)

I did contact the University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy to find out where exactly I went wrong. Apparently, I was told that the Admissions Committee does not disclose the specifics of their final decision and I was told to reflect on my interview and RC/WT to address any shortcomings in the near future. All your posts have helped me realize that I definitely need to improve my strategies and time management skills with regards to the RC/WT component.

Thank you all once again! I really really appreciate it! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got in and wanted to post my stats.

I have an honours degree + unrelated masters + been working for 2 years.

GPA: ~77%
PCAT: N/A
In province, first time applying to UW Pharmacy-- made a last minute decision to apply, which explains why I didn't do a PCAT.
Pharmacy experience: None, but got a letter from a pharmacist.
RC/WT: Thought it was easy, did it well under the time allotted.
Interview: I went in and talked about construction and art projects that I do as a side job. I had no props and I used up 30 minutes. I asked 2 questions, one to the pharmacists about PharmD and one to the student about retail vs hospital. I was worried because I made absolutely no mention about pharmacy in my spiel nor did I mention how I liked to "help" people.

Considering I'm not exactly the ideal candidate, I'm not sure if there's a magical formula to getting in! I think I have half decent communication skills (plus life experience because I'm a tiny bit older), which may have been the thing that clinched it for me.

I have a conditional offer as well, however I do have all the prerequisites completed. On QUEST account, does the condition show "Admission Requirements Met" with a Green checkmark beside it?

I think it's a generic admission response to all applicants (telling them to look at any conditions they may happen to have).

Anyone e-mail them about that yet?

I sent in an email to Julie and she responded by saying my transcript was recieved and now I have a green question mark beside my condition. I'm assuming everyone might get a "conditional" offer but since the green check mark is there it basically means that you are completely accepted because all the conditions are met. Can anyone who didn't get an original condition confirm this?

I sent in an email to Julie and she responded by saying my transcript was recieved and now I have a green question mark beside my condition. I'm assuming everyone might get a "conditional" offer but since the green check mark is there it basically means that you are completely accepted because all the conditions are met. Can anyone who didn't get an original condition confirm this?

Okay. Did you accept the offer yet btw? I haven't received any follow-up e-mail yet... ("Intention to Matriculate" on QUEST account).

Hey,
Can the people that got in share what they did for the first 5-10 min part of their interview?

Hey,
Can the people that got in share what they did for the first 5-10 min part of their interview?

I talked about a trip i took to egypt since it was something i had wanted to do since we learned about ancient civilizations back in grade school. While a good chunk of the presentation was about my trip - things that fascinated me the most and why, in the end I related it to my interest in pursuing pharmacy and how the trip impacted me and the decisions i made.

As a side I had a ppt with just pictures in it to go along with what I was saying.

Hey,

I talked about my immigration experience to Canada and how that really helped me become more mature, etc. I also talked about how passionate I am for visual arts and I took some drawings of mine to show them. And I think I went overtime a little, maybe 15-20 min!

I talked about a trip i took to egypt since it was something i had wanted to do since we learned about ancient civilizations back in grade school. While a good chunk of the presentation was about my trip - things that fascinated me the most and why, in the end I related it to my interest in pursuing pharmacy and how the trip impacted me and the decisions i made.

As a side I had a ppt with just pictures in it to go along with what I was saying.

WOW, I think I actually remember you from the interview... did you have your interview on May 1st at 10 AM??? And you had this laptop with you to show your ppt !?!!

Last edited:
WOW, I think I actually remember you from the interview... did you have your interview on May 1st at 10 AM??? And you had this laptop with you to show your ppt !?!!

No way!! haha yup that was me!! Were u also at 10 am?!?

Hi everyone,

just a quick question.... i have all prereqs completed but i do not have green checkmarks on quest....to date it is just inititated.

just wondering whether it would be best to contact UW and let them know or will it eventually change on its own?

thanks in advance

oh and just to add to the above posts for my interview pres i just talked about a volunteer experience dealing with ppl with mental illness. love psych so i just talked about that. overall a very laid back interview although i was still extremely nervous but luckily it did not show

No way!! haha yup that was me!! Were u also at 10 am?!?

Yup ;) BTW, didn't you find it surprising that Waterloo people weren't THAT friendly??? I just kept hearing from others how "super friendly" everyone is at Waterloo, but I was a bit disappointed with the way Pharm students handled everything that day :(

Hi everyone,

just a quick question.... i have all prereqs completed but i do not have green checkmarks on quest....to date it is just inititated.

just wondering whether it would be best to contact UW and let them know or will it eventually change on its own?

thanks in advance

I don't think there's anything to worry about... I would just wait to get the hard-copy letter in mail because they would have all the conditions explained in there.

BTW, considering Canada Post's strike, how are we ever gonna receive our letters :confused::confused::confused:

out of province student, completed 2 years of chemistry
GPA: 81.4%
PCAT: 83 composite....
pharmacy experience: 1 year as a pharmacy technician
LOR: my boss...
Interview: I was so nervous, I don't remember a thing. Sorry guys.

Hi everyone,

thanks in advance

oh and just to add to the above posts for my interview pres i just talked about a volunteer experience dealing with ppl with mental illness. love psych so i just talked about that. overall a very laid back interview although i was still extremely nervous but luckily it did not show

Contact them by email. Does your condition specify a certain prereq they need completed, or does it say "Admission Requirements Met" (with yellow initiated)? If so, then they're just waiting to receive your final transcript before they can change it to green (which you have until December 2011 to complete according to the due date on conditions of QUEST account). The latter case may likely be due to the canada post strike and they haven't received it yet.

For the above posts: I talked about my experiences in tutoring and teaching students of all ages (from teaching English to ESL students in kindergarten classes, to teaching various university courses in one-on-one sessions to first-year peers), and why I'm so passionate about teaching various lessons to others. I enjoy teaching, so I was able to talk enthusiastically about it for a long time!

thanks for the input...appreciate it....

i ended emailing julie actually and apparently my social science credit wasn't "approved" according to UW standards or some **** like that....which is why my acceptance is conditional...so i just need to send a course syllabus to them of this course...i thought this was weird bc at my school it is considered a social science context credit....oh well...just gonna have to wait and see if its approved...if not ima gonna have to take social science in the summer or fall:thumbdown:....hopefully that wont be the case tho

i ended emailing julie actually and apparently my social science credit wasn't "approved" according to UW standards or some **** like that....which is why my acceptance is conditional...so i just need to send a course syllabus to them of this course...i thought this was weird bc at my school it is considered a social science context credit....oh well...just gonna have to wait and see if its approved...if not ima gonna have to take social science in the summer or fall:thumbdown:....hopefully that wont be the case tho

I know, they are really weird about their social sci requirements... They do mention on their website that you should send the course syllabus to see if the course is eligible before hands. All I remember is that I had to bug them several times before they accepted my social sci course :rolleyes:

Contact them by email. Does your condition specify a certain prereq they need completed, or does it say "Admission Requirements Met" (with yellow initiated)? If so, then they're just waiting to receive your final transcript before they can change it to green (which you have until December 2011 to complete according to the due date on conditions of QUEST account). The latter case may likely be due to the canada post strike and they haven't received it yet.

For the above posts: I talked about my experiences in tutoring and teaching students of all ages (from teaching English to ESL students in kindergarten classes, to teaching various university courses in one-on-one sessions to first-year peers), and why I'm so passionate about teaching various lessons to others. I enjoy teaching, so I was able to talk enthusiastically about it for a long time!

Did you do U of T physiology by any chance?

Hmm... Did your QUEST account explicitly state your social science credit was not approved under the "Conditions" tab? (As in, what sorts of things were listed for you there? Mine simply had "Admission Requirements Met" with green checkmark now).

Hey, if you gotten into both pharmacy schools in ontario, I think UW is the better choice. You get more money and more work experience in UW's pharmacy program. It is what matters the most to your future bosses and in the real world. Think about it. :)

Hi Everyone!!
Congrats on being accepted to Waterloo!!! I also got accepted so we will be seeing each other in January!
I wanted to ask if someone could give me the link to the facebook group!! i would like to join it :D

out of province student: 2 courses away from graduating (BSC:Life science (general)
GPA: 81.7%
PCAT: 91 composite, (99 chemistry, 91 bio, 76 verbal, 58 reading, 70something quant)
pharmacy experience: 1 month at a pharmacy, 5 months at another (volunteer)
LOR: pharmacy manager, 5 month one.
Interview: great, finished in half an hour though.

Still holding out on UBC and UofA decision before i decide where to go.

Congrats to those who got in! I, unfortunately, didn't get the offer and was also very disappointed for the past 2 weeks. So is it true that after being selected for the interview, the admission decision is solely based on how you did on the rc/wt and the interview? I emailed the person a week ago who wrote me the rejection letter but haven't receive a response yet. They probably don't disclose the information about how you did on the interview and rc/wt, right?

I officially declined my Waterloo offer (I'm choosing U of T) .. one space open for pending applicants

Good luckk :luck:

Hmm... Does anyone know how long it takes for them to change Quest status from "Intention to Matriculate"? (How long did it take for 2010 group?)

Also, did anyone receive any new e-mail about orientation, etc. yet, if they accepted the offer?

Hi
I have the same question its been almost 2 weeks that I have submited my original transcript and all conditions are now green but my status in quest is still "intention to matriculate' I don't know if you got the answer how long it will take for us to be matriculated. well kind of strange for me ....

Hi I have the same problem its been almost 3 weeks that my status is still in "intention to matriculate" although all the conditiond are green do you have any idea about how long it will take to change my status to matriculation?

Im guessing this wouldnt be the best place to post since most of the ppl here are just gonna be starting pharm for first time....but from your knowledge based on what others may have said...how difficult do u think it would be to obtain 4.0s in the pharm classes?

just curious....

Does anynone have any info about the issue with pharm d at waterloo...i kno u of t has the bridging program but for those of us going to waterloo....will we be graduating with a bsc or is it possible that it can be pharmd if they add an extra semester for instance?

when all schools eventually switch to pharm d they tuiton fees r gonna be insane....so were lucky but it would be nice to get a pharmd...to be given the option of working in states.

essentially, does anyone have any info they like to share about this topic?

Just declined my Waterloo offer for U of T. It felt weird, never thought I'd be declining an invitation to pharmacy. Anyways, good luck to those of you applying for the open seats in November.

Just declined my Waterloo offer for U of T. It felt weird, never thought I'd be declining an invitation to pharmacy. Anyways, good luck to those of you applying for the open seats in November.

Just declined Waterloo's offer right now as well. I feel the exact same way; after waiting so long to get into pharmacy and rejecting an offer...never thought I would do that. It was definitely hard to do, but there is another seat open for you guys! Best of luck! :)

I just declined my offer from Waterloo :( Hope the spot goes to a well-deserved candidate during the limited-sit reapplication.

Best wishes to all you Waterloo students, you're all going to be amazing pharmacist, studying at an amazing institution. It's been an amazing journey with you guys on SDN :)

Cheers!

Hey ya’ll I’ve finally decided to share my stats

In province student

Cgpa 87%

Pharmacy experience – volunteering at a hospital for 6 months

Interview – I was so nervous at the beginning! I forgot to introduce myself AND I lost my place during my 10 min speech… twice. I thought I had my speech down pat, but I guess it was the nerves. I’m not really sure how I could have improved this. Anyway, after that, during the questions portion I definitely redeemed myself. I drew upon many of my past experiences and was talking as if to friends. It would be best to prepare answers to potential questions before the day of your interview so when they ask you something, you aren’t stuck without anything to say. I found that the interviewers were friendly, even when I was messing up :p which was very nice.

Reading/Writing test – I finished everything about 5 minutes before time was up. Time is to be used wisely when writing this test, as already stated by others. I thought the reading comp part was not difficult. Definitely skim a few questions before reading the article, find those answers, then look at the next questions. I found the essay topic was easy to write about as well. Potential answers are broad.

When I was writing my initial AP application I almost gave up hope. I thought my application wasn’t good enough because of my lack of strong leadership experiences. I even thought my little essays were no good. However after everything, I was accepted to UW! Never let your doubts prevent you from applying.

I’ll be posting my U of T related stats/advice on the U of T forum.

sorry to bother you guys but did anyone reject u of t and accepted uw offer and reasons behind it??

thank you

sorry to bother you guys but did anyone reject u of t and accepted uw offer and reasons behind it??

thank you

I chose UW over UT for the following reasons:

-When I went for the interviews at both schools, I preferred the UW atmosphere. I enjoyed talking to the staff, 1st year students, and applicants. In UT, I felt uncomfortable and the process was more stressful.

-smaller class size

-paid co-op experience

-less hectic city atmosphere

-cheaper rent

-more time to get ready for Pharmacy school as it starts in January

It was a tough decision. Although I chose UW over UT, I initially wanted UT when I first applied.

I didnt apply to UT, only UW bc i did not take the pcat.

if i had a choice though, id probably choose toronto bc i love the city life (live in toronto for four years, hell ya). not a great reason to choose one school over the other but who cares, my opinion.

waterloo/kitchener - pros: none, cons: NOT toronto

Ive lived in downtown toronto b/f as well as towns outside of it, so it is just my opinion, i know there are lots of ppl that prefer the smaller city feel, however.

In terms of pros/cons for UW:

PAID CO-OP huge pro!
con: again, the location.