University of Washington Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ya at least u have options lol

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to those who got in. I just got a reply from Cher and found out I wasn't accepted nor on the waitlist. My stats are ok, 3.3 gpa from previous degree, 4.0 when I retake all pre-req's, and a 92 in PCAT. I also have some years in drug-related research. I guess what I'm lacking is the experience in a pharmacy as a clerk or tech maybe. I've volunteered at a clinical pharmacy many years ago but not recently.

I'm gonna see if I can get some feedback from the panel. This is so disappointing. =/

Members don't see this ad :)
If PCAT is the only thing lacking, all you need to do is to read some books. In my case, I'll have to find a pharmacy that is willing to take in a part time clerk/tech/assistant. I've applied to some before but they're only interested in hiring full-time.

If PCAT is the only thing lacking, all you need to do is to read some books. In my case, I'll have to find a pharmacy that is willing to take in a part time clerk/tech/assistant. I've applied to some before but they're only interested in hiring full-time.

you could always volunteer thats what I did

Yep, you can always volunteer at UW. There's a bit of paperwork, but doable.

I have volunteered at a clinical pharmacy before so I did have the exposure, but when they asked me if I have any experience with community pharmacy, I said no because I indeed have none. However, this "missing criteria" is only my speculation right now. I'll see what they say in their feedback. Maybe they're not happy with my answers to their situational questions.

Anyhow, it is the only school I've applied to this year because I really wanna stay in-state. I'll definitely apply to more schools next year but that would also mean I've to take some additional pre-req's because most schools have 3 years of pre-req's.

I can't really focus while reading books that I don't care about. I will only focus on books when I'm in pharmacy school, because that stuff I actually care about. I don't care about ferns and how they reproduce. I can't believe that stuff is on the PCATs like it actually matters.

I have volunteered at a clinical pharmacy before so I did have the exposure, but when they asked me if I have any experience with community pharmacy, I said no because I indeed have none. However, this "missing criteria" is only my speculation right now. I'll see what they say in their feedback. Maybe they're not happy with my answers to their situational questions.

I never worked retail and think I did well on those questions. I work mail order, so I just related it to my current job or just kind of winged it when thinking about retail aspects. I think almost every question they asked I had read in the interview feedback sections here at SDN, so I put some time into thinking about those questions and potential answers to them.

As to only applying to one school, I made that mistake last year. Definitely didn't let that happen again. Going out of state isn't as bad as it sounds. Yeah, first year tuition will be pricey and you'll be some place new, but its a good life experience.

Anyone else on the alternate list?

Anyone else on the alternate list?

I don't know if you already saw my post, but I am/was no. 25 on the list as of Thursday, May 1st. I am sure you will get in - it is me that I am worried about - 25 is a bit high....

Being on the alternate list last year, I wished I filled out PharmCAS ASAP. It may be due to just personality, but second time around I didn't complete PharmCAS until end of December. :(

So, I recommend those who are on the aternate list #22-25 to fill out part of the PharmCAS. If you get in, it's not too much work done. But if you don't get in, at least you will only have part of it filled out and... "turn in your application soon!"

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was told today I didn't get in because of the interview. Now that's the biggest shocker I've had in a while. Mainly because the intervew went extremely well and the panel was already talking about me being admitted. This whole thing is a mess! It probably was because whoever initially read my application had dyslexia and thought my PCAT said 95, not 59, lol.

I'm not sure how many professional interviews you've had, but they all act that way. Even if two questions into the interview they think you're definitely not getting in, they can't say that or act like it. That, and I have to really question your statement about them talking about you already being admitted. I think you may have misunderstood them. Unless they flat out said "yes, you are in, expect paperwork next week", then you assumed something was insinuated when it wasn't. They said things to me that made me feel as if I already had one foot in the door. Well, getting an interview is that one foot in the door.

Yeah, I would definitely consider that normal conversational banter.

Only thing I can really suggest if you don't get in anywhere is to check out the business or communications department at your school and see if they offer a class or some sort of assistance with interviewing. I know the college I went to had a career re-entry department that helped people build their resume, practice interviewing, networking, etc. Snag the questions for this school and a bunch of others and have them drill you occasionally. Video taping yourself can also help with catching things like nervous ticks, restlessness, weird body language and such.

you should stop blaming your inadequate pCAT score on "not studying for your pre-pharm classes." if you wanted it bad enough, you would have studied regardless of knowing the material from class or not. take responsibility for your actions and just study!

you should stop blaming your inadequate pCAT score on "not studying for your pre-pharm classes." if you wanted it bad enough, you would have studied regardless of knowing the material from class or not. take responsibility for your actions and just study!

Exactly! I just wanted to say that!

damn, you're so right. Thanks Dr. Phil! I did study, read the whole kaplan book, but the stuff I remembered, i.e. hormones, functions, etc, wasn't on the biology part! But I do appreciate your input and feel really special that you wasted your first post on sdn on me! Thanks again!

you seem a little angry, but you do come off as making excuses for a poor score I studied the whole summer for the PCAT so I could get a good score to help me get in. Competitive admissions takes sacrifice and not studying for prereqs was a lack of sacrifice that is coming back to haunt you

Wow so I just got a call saying I was told wrong when I called last week for my status. I got IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew something was wrong! See you in September!

wow congrats I guess you won't be worrying about that PCAT anymore :D

Wow so I just got a call saying I was told wrong when I called last week for my status. I got IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew something was wrong! See you in September!

what a mistake. i hope my email isn't a mistake too

It's a test that won't help you or won't tell pharmacy admissions that you'll succeed in pharmacy school.

Actually that part isn't entirely true. People who do well on the PCAT do well on the NAPLEX. The journal for pharm edu reported on this last year I believe.

I'd be hella angry if they told me incorrectly. Anyways, good work! :smuggrin:

Wow, crazyness. See you in September and on the many intramural teams the Pharmacy has to offer. Here's to hoping there is also a bowling team...

Actually that part isn't entirely true. People who do well on the PCAT do well on the NAPLEX. The journal for pharm edu reported on this last year I believe.

I can see that but in my case, the NAPLEX has stuff that intrigues me and contains nothing about ferns and sporophytes lol.

Nice! You can rejoin the facebook group now

I can see that but in my case, the NAPLEX has stuff that intrigues me and contains nothing about ferns and sporophytes lol.

As an adamant proponent of ferns and sporophytes, I take offense to that! haha

Wow that's a good news. Congrats to you~~ I'll be meeting the Chair next week for some feedback.

On a side note, to succeed in SOP, I think you should also be prepared to have to take some courses that may seem unnecessary in Pharmacy. A friend of mine who's a recent graduate actually told me that her first year's curriculum felt exactly like that. If you want to finish the program, you'll need some serious change in attitude towards "subjects you think is useless".

true true. First year has a lot of stuff that won't really help when dealing with medications. But I am looking forward to the second year!

So two weeks after the final meeting, I moved from #21 to 14 on the alternate list. Does anyone know if this is normal? Slower than usual? Quicker? Or is there just no way to tell.

So two weeks after the final meeting, I moved from #21 to 14 on the alternate list. Does anyone know if this is normal? Slower than usual? Quicker? Or is there just no way to tell.

Thanks for the info! I must be #19, then!

LOL, maybe you're not a math teacher, but if he went from 21 to 14, I would imagine you would be 18 from 25. LOL. :p

Yes, you are absolutely right -and I just got an A- on my calc test, so I am not TOO bad in math lol!!

So who wants to study for the Med Chem Qualifying Exam sometime in September? :p

Wow....u guys have to take an exam? :eek: I haven't had Ochem since forever (03 or 04?)! Luckily I don't have to that it, I probably get the lowest score. Good luck! :)

I was talking to a first year the other day and she REALLY RECOMMENDED studying for the test as you can make your first quarter load easier. She also said everyone that actually studied for it passed it last year.

I was talking to a first year the other day and she REALLY RECOMMENDED studying for the test as you can make your first quarter load easier. She also said everyone that actually studied for it passed it last year.

Oh wow I'm glad I read this.... So this is the only test we have to take right before Fall quarter starts?

I was looking at the first year curriculum and it says we take 6 credits of electives. What kind of electives can we take? Thanks.

So this whole alternate list thing is so annoying!!! Out of curiousity, is there anyone that has been accepted that are choosing between two schools and might drop out? Anyone on the wait list that might drop?

Hey Careypotpie,

Do you mind if I ask where you stand on the alternate list? I am 5 places behind you. Good luck!