University of Washington Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree! We should set one up this summer sometime maybe via facebook event

Whoa now, old timers don't use facebook. We have good ol fashioned email for such things.

Members don't see this ad.

hey accepted UW students that are IN STATE, r u going to be an Intern this summer?

If so, did u already apply for your license? I have heard mixed things about the requirement for the license. I thought that once you are accepted to an instate school (WA) that you can apply for the license? But I also heard you have to wait till you are ENROLLED which is when class starts.

Which is true??

I'm pretty sure you're not an intern until classes start.

Members don't see this ad :)
no I asked the UW admission office and it is once your acceptance is finalized as in all prereqs done and criminal background is complete so yes we can intern in the summer

I spoke with WA Board of Pharmacy and they say that admitted students are eligible for liscensing as soon as they are accepted. However, you cannot count your hours toward the required hours (which you need to sit for the NAPLEX) until you're enrolled.

So, you can work as an intern, but those hours won't count towards your required hours. It will simply be a job until you are enrolled in classes.

Oh, well in Florida I've known techs who were accepted into University of Florida and couldn't become interns til classes started. But that's cool, maybe if I get accepted I can work as an intern at my store til I get transferred to a Walgreens in Seattle. I know the hours won't count like you say, but I guess I'll get a raise to save up for the move lol.

Oh, well in Florida I've known techs who were accepted into University of Florida and couldn't become interns til classes started. But that's cool, maybe if I get accepted I can work as an intern at my store til I get transferred to a Walgreens in Seattle. I know the hours won't count like you say, but I guess I'll get a raise to save up for the move lol.

Those were my thoughts exactly. I can't concieve a point for working as a technician when you could just as easily work as an intern and have higher pay and more freedom in your work.

I am in the odd position of wanting to become an intern without any prior experience in a pharmacy. I imagine that pharmacies would be more inclined to hire someone with an intern's license than another technician.

pharmacist5870, do you plan on getting licensed in WA and then working as an intern in FL for the summer? Would this work, or would you need a FL license? I'm not sure what FL law is, but I live in Missouri. If I am accepted to UW, I am contemplating moving to WA for the summer. But if the license is transferrable I may just get a WA license and move back home to Missouri for the summer.

Yea, I actually have no idea what the law is. I hope its transferrable, since it's an intern license and not a pharmacist license. If it's not transferrable, I guess I'll try and get my intern license for Florida and stay home til end of July. I don't know how hard it is to get one, I'll ask my friend who's at UF. I'm really not worrying about it now, my main focus is to get accepted into a school.

Just FYI: Since pharmacy is regulated at the state level, intern licenses are not trensferable from state to state. Washington allows you to get your intern license once you are accepted and pass the background check. This will only allow you to work in Washington. You would not be able to get a Washington intern license and work in Flordia or Missouri (or any other state). You would need to get an intern license in that state and it would depend on that states requirements. While Washington lets you get one before you start school, some states require you to have completed a certain amount of your education (a semester or a year). You would need to check with the state.

Thanks for that info. I'm kind of sure Florida requires some classes to be started in the first year before you can get an intern license. I also wonder if I can get a license in Washington and a separate one for Florida incase I go home to work at my store in the summers.

Some students do go home and get intern licenses in their home state during the summer after the first year.

But on a side note, some out-of-state students apply for in-state tuition after a year, but that requires you to stay in Washington during the summers.

Some students do go home and get intern licenses in their home state during the summer after the first year.

But on a side note, some out-of-state students apply for in-state tuition after a year, but that requires you to stay in Washington during the summers.

Is it usually pretty easy to get in-state tuition or do they usually not grant it after one year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have known quite a few students who have gotten in-state tuition, but I am not sure how easy it is. You have to be making an effort to be a resident (car plates, job, voter registration, you have to stay here during the summer, ect.).

So if I move there this summer before I even start class, get transferred from my Walgreens here to one in Seattle, switch my tags to Washington, register to vote, and etc, I could pay in-state tuition for my first year? Probably only 2-4 years right?

You have to be in Washington for one year, so you would not get it during your first year.

I just got an acceptance email this afternoon. I'm blown away - Good Luck to Everyone else. They should be sending them out soon.

I just got an acceptance email this afternoon. I'm blown away - Good Luck to Everyone else. They should be sending them out soon.

wow congrats!1 i'm still waiting but it seems like... it might not happen :(

wow congrats!1 i'm still waiting but it seems like... it might not happen :(

yes, I'm waiting too. When did you interview? I hear they are making their final decisions this Wednesday evening and we can call them on May 1st if we haven't heard anything via email or mail.

ever since jwells said he interviewed the same week I did and got in, I've been worrying. I guess I'll have to wait til later this week. But since he got an email, I guess the other ones who got in, also received theirs. That's why I'm so worried.

ever since jwells said he interviewed the same week I did and got in, I've been worrying. I guess I'll have to wait til later this week. But since he got an email, I guess the other ones who got in, also received theirs. That's why I'm so worried.

I interviewed mid-march. did you get in else where? if yes, don't worry too much because you have somewhere to go. :) If no, just keep on hoping. You'll never know. :)

I can't wait to find out on Thursday, May 1st, what UW's final decisions are for us all! I will call them if I don't receive an email by 4pm lol. Good luck to everyone and hang in there!!

No, not accepted anywhere else, that's why I'm so nervous. I'm on an alternate list, but that school has 45 on their alternate list as of now, and the class is only about 55 in size. They said yesterday the class is pretty much full as of now, but around June, people start going to their other schools where they were accepted. But I want to go to UW, Seattle is so nice!

Good luck to those who are calling in tomorrow! :)

Is there any chance we will get good news if we call in tomorrow? I would expect the people who have been accepted would have been notified via email before they would call. That's why as every day passes, I get more and more depressed.

same hurrr.

I wasn't accepted, I don't see the point of inviting me for an interview if I wasn't getting in in the first place.

I'm sorry to hear that... I was interviewed in mid-March, but I haven't heard anything. I don't think I'm gonna call because if I don't get accepted, I'd rather not hear it over the phone (I'd prefer reading it in that little evil letter...lol)

yes, that sounds illogical. but it's not with the details of it.

panel wanted me in. they loved how the interview went. everything was great.

so you would imagine I would get in since they liked what i had on paper to offer me an interview, and like I said the interview went really well.

so my comment about not standing a chance anyways is obviously proven with that.

o well.

DO you happen to know about how many people are on the waiting list?

Ya I called

"I'm sorry but unfortunately we could not offer you a spot in the class. This years pool was very competitive"

How many f-in times do I have to hear that?

My PCAT sucks, why did you invite me for an interview? The panel told me they wanted me in the class, they told me the interview went really well. Yet I didn't get in. DOES ANYONE REALIZE HOW FRUSTRATING THIS IS? I'M SO SHOCKED, WELL NOT REALLY THAT SHOCKED, I MEAN I APPLIED TO 20 SCHOOLS AND DIDN'T GET IN YET!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROID RAGE TIME.

I'm sorry... I also got rejected but keep on trying. You will get in eventually. :) good luck in the future :)

Well the interview was only with 3 out of something like 20 on the panel. Maybe those three thought you interviewed well, but the others on the panel had their doubts after reviewing your paper application? And to be honest, if they weren't interested in you, they wouldn't have invited you. Look how many applied and how few got interviews. they just have to draw the line some where unfortunately.

I've had job interviews that the employer seemed really excited about me, but ended up not hiring me. Like anything else you just have to take it in stride. If you end up not getting in anywhere at all, email the pharminf address, ask them to re-review your application, and give you some ideas on improving it for next year.

i don't think anyone's on the waiting list anymore. Yesterday was their final meeting, so whoever was on the list before is now in or out. I believe it was 25 and ranked.

They keep a waitlist going through the summer for people that get accepted elsewhere or who fail pre-reqs in the spring.

I called and found out I am on the waitlist, #21. It's kind of an annoying spot to be in because it's for sure not low enough to assume I'll eventually get in, but it's not high enough to assume it won't happen either. I think (but don't know for sure) that they went down to #24 last year, so I guess I'll just keep waiting...

Tampa? Holy crap! Why would you want to move from sunny and warm Tampa to cold and rainy Seattle?!? Hurricane avoidance?

LOL no, Seattle's great and I would pretty much move anywhere so I can enjoy a career in a field I love so much.

So do they send out acceptance emails/ waitlist emails today?

Ya I called

"I'm sorry but unfortunately we could not offer you a spot in the class. This years pool was very competitive"

How many f-in times do I have to hear that?

My PCAT sucks, why did you invite me for an interview? The panel told me they wanted me in the class, they told me the interview went really well. Yet I didn't get in. DOES ANYONE REALIZE HOW FRUSTRATING THIS IS? I'M SO SHOCKED, WELL NOT REALLY THAT SHOCKED, I MEAN I APPLIED TO 20 SCHOOLS AND DIDN'T GET IN YET!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROID RAGE TIME.

If your PCAt was the only thing that was really bad then retake it this summer and you will probably get in next year

Congrats to everyone who got in! I am number 25 on the waitlist! I REALLY hope I get in! If not, at least I got accepted to Touro...