University of Toledo VS. EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eastern Virginia Medical School vs. University of Toledo College of Medicine

• Eastern Virginia Medical School

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • University of Toledo College of Medicine (formerly called Medical College of Ohio)

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

49erfan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If offered an acceptance to both Eastern Virginia Medical School as well as the University of Toledo College of Medicine, which school would you choose?

I found both to be great schools, with great faculty and students. However, if one has to choose, which school would it be?

Thank you all for your opinions. Please try to post your opinions or vote on the poll as soon as possible, as that will help me plan out things. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say EVMS. The location, students, and faculty are all amazing.

Toledo can get kind of boring sometimes, from what I hear.

Toledo. In-state tuition after a year, and it's a good school

Toledo. In-state tuition after a year, and it's a good school

Within OH, I heard Toledo Med school is not very well regarded....

and EVMS is very well respected in Virginia......

EVMS probably has more name recognition around the country for being one of the three med schools in VA.. OH is known for Ohio state, case, cc, and sometimes cinci... but not really toledo

location wise EVMS is much better place than as compared to Toledo

EVMS pairs up with some of the best hospitals in the state... Toledo's hospital is much smaller in comparison

at our evms interview, they said 98% of 4th years match into their FIRST choice for residency! going with evms on this one

at our evms interview, they said 98% of 4th years match into their FIRST choice for residency! going with evms on this one

really wow... doesn't surprise me though... EVMS has a very high average USMLE step 1 score from what I heard.....

I believe it can be partially because of the way the curriculum is set up at EVMS in which everything is integrated which is very helpful for the boards... in addition, the student body is very talented from what I have heard

that is very impressive indeed... what about toledo?

that is very impressive indeed... what about toledo?

I think EVMS >>>>> Toledo.

Why?
(1) Well EVMS is actually imo more competitive to gain admission to than Toledo
(2). EVMS is well known around the nation, because it is one of the three schools in VA
(3). toledo is far less respected than other OH med schools such as Ohio State, CC, Case, and Cinci even within the state
(4). EVMS is in a great great great location... Toledo is a different situation....
(5). I just think more residency options will be available coming from EVMS... especially if you want to stay in the South or go to mid-atlantic
(6). Hospitals of EVMS are some of the best... EM, Peds, Urology, Ob/Gyn, Surgery are all very very very well known departments
(7). EVMS Step 1 average, as someone pointed out above, is very high... I have heard that too
(8). EVMS is so chill and laid back, and both the faculty and students are sooo cool from what I have seen
(9). EVMS has a much smaller class size than Toledo, so attention is more personalized

EVMS wins hands down buddy...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a student at Toledo, and I don't really know anything about EVMS, so I won't vote in the poll. I wanted to give my opinion on some of the points mentioned above, though.

First, I just want to say that I think any US allopathic school will give you a good education, and more important for your success than the school is the amount of work you are willing to put in as an individual. Toledo is not a competitive school. One of the less competitive ones for admission, a backup for some people, but the end result is a group of smart students with a supportive atmosphere. The student body is not cut-throat, we help each other…the faculty have an open-door policy and they try to create the most encouraging educational environment possible. Our dean is very supportive of the students and is always trying to find more money to put toward new scholarships. I believe our class sizes have peaked at about 175 students. We have large lecture, but also small group sessions (usually about 10-15 students per group) and only 4 students per cadaver, so it really doesn't feel that large. Our performance on Step 1 is respectable – despite some failures, we also have quite a few students scoring above 240/250 with some 260+ sprinkled in (and I believe twice in the past 4 years the highest score in the nation came from our school). This goes back to your success depending very much on personal effort. A school with a high average doesn't guarantee you a high score, just as a school with average performance doesn't condemn you to a mid-range score.

Well-known by the general population and well-known by residency directors are two different things. The reason that we are one of the lesser known schools in Ohio is that we're not a big research institution. This just isn't the focus of our school, and it doesn't really say anything about the clinical medicine training program. We're not home to many top residency programs, but I think this works out well for medical students, as we don't have to compete with tons of interns, residents, and fellows to get experience with the patients. We train at the hospitals and private practices in town, in the surrounding rural area (lots of hands-on experience in these locations), at Riverside in Columbus, St. Joes in Ann Arbor, and Henry Ford in Detroit. I have been told by physicians at my school and from other cities that we produce good clinicians that are happily welcomed into most all residency programs. So while I won't say the Toledo name will be a +1 on your residency application, from what I understand, the end-result of our curriculum is well-respected within the academic medical community. It is true that most of us remain in the Midwest for a variety of reasons, but I know we have sent students to programs at Mayo and MD Anderson…and many who stay in the area end up at the Cleveland Clinic and University of Michigan. We have a lot of students from California, and quite a few move back there after graduating. We do have a primary care focus, but we also match into competitive specialties. Again, it comes back to my point about working hard. A good Toledo student will be preferred to a bad ivy league student. Just learn to play the game. If you want a competitive spot, study your butt off for a great board score, shine in clerkships, and do away-rotations/acting internships at your programs of interest to get the best letters of recommendation possible.

I will admit that the Toledo area is not the most stimulating, and has been hit pretty hard by the economy, but there is plenty to do for the amount of free time you will have as a student. In all honesty, most people just want to relax with friends and go for dinner and drinks, something that can be done anywhere. Some people do get tired of the town, though, and take weekend trips to Chicago (4 hours), spend Saturday in Ann Arbor (40 mins), or drive to OSU games in Columbus (2.5 hours)/Browns football in Cleveland (2 hours).

My advice to you is to pick the school where you felt most at home. If you want to become a good clinician and don't have your heart set on *the* top derm program in the country, Toledo will be a perfectly fine choice. If you honestly can't decide between the programs, look at the cost of tuition, cost of living, pick the area you like best now or the region you'd most want to settle for practice, whether you'd rather swim in the Ocean or the Great Lakes, etc. I turned down a "top 15" school (ranked by research) for Toledo and haven't regretted the decision.

defintely toledto because evms rejected me

DAM THEM :(

as in build a huge barrier to water.

defintely toledto because evms rejected me

DAM THEM :(

as in build a huge barrier to water.

Wow. I am very surprised EVMS rejected you, as you have super excellent stats. Don't worry though... with your stats, I think you will get into some of the top med schools in the US.... good luck to you :luck:

wow thanks for the response. Both are great schools, no question about it. It is a really really really tough decision to choose between the two. Was there any particular reason why you turned down a "top-15" school for Toledo?

I’m a student at Toledo, and I don’t really know anything about EVMS, so I won’t vote in the poll. I wanted to give my opinion on some of the points mentioned above, though.

First, I just want to say that I think any US allopathic school will give you a good education, and more important for your success than the school is the amount of work you are willing to put in as an individual. Toledo is not a competitive school. One of the less competitive ones for admission, a backup for some people, but the end result is a group of smart students with a supportive atmosphere. The student body is not cut-throat, we help each other…the faculty have an open-door policy and they try to create the most encouraging educational environment possible. Our dean is very supportive of the students and is always trying to find more money to put toward new scholarships. I believe our class sizes have peaked at about 175 students. We have large lecture, but also small group sessions (usually about 10-15 students per group) and only 4 students per cadaver, so it really doesn’t feel that large. Our performance on Step 1 is respectable – despite some failures, we also have quite a few students scoring above 240/250 with some 260+ sprinkled in (and I believe twice in the past 4 years the highest score in the nation came from our school). This goes back to your success depending very much on personal effort. A school with a high average doesn’t guarantee you a high score, just as a school with average performance doesn’t condemn you to a mid-range score.

Well-known by the general population and well-known by residency directors are two different things. The reason that we are one of the lesser known schools in Ohio is that we’re not a big research institution. This just isn’t the focus of our school, and it doesn’t really say anything about the clinical medicine training program. We’re not home to many top residency programs, but I think this works out well for medical students, as we don’t have to compete with tons of interns, residents, and fellows to get experience with the patients. We train at the hospitals and private practices in town, in the surrounding rural area (lots of hands-on experience in these locations), at Riverside in Columbus, St. Joes in Ann Arbor, and Henry Ford in Detroit. I have been told by physicians at my school and from other cities that we produce good clinicians that are happily welcomed into most all residency programs. So while I won’t say the Toledo name will be a +1 on your residency application, from what I understand, the end-result of our curriculum is well-respected within the academic medical community. It is true that most of us remain in the Midwest for a variety of reasons, but I know we have sent students to programs at Mayo and MD Anderson…and many who stay in the area end up at the Cleveland Clinic and University of Michigan. We have a lot of students from California, and quite a few move back there after graduating. We do have a primary care focus, but we also match into competitive specialties. Again, it comes back to my point about working hard. A good Toledo student will be preferred to a bad ivy league student. Just learn to play the game. If you want a competitive spot, study your butt off for a great board score, shine in clerkships, and do away-rotations/acting internships at your programs of interest to get the best letters of recommendation possible.

I will admit that the Toledo area is not the most stimulating, and has been hit pretty hard by the economy, but there is plenty to do for the amount of free time you will have as a student. In all honesty, most people just want to relax with friends and go for dinner and drinks, something that can be done anywhere. Some people do get tired of the town, though, and take weekend trips to Chicago (4 hours), spend Saturday in Ann Arbor (40 mins), or drive to OSU games in Columbus (2.5 hours)/Browns football in Cleveland (2 hours).

My advice to you is to pick the school where you felt most at home. If you want to become a good clinician and don’t have your heart set on *the* top derm program in the country, Toledo will be a perfectly fine choice. If you honestly can’t decide between the programs, look at the cost of tuition, cost of living, pick the area you like best now or the region you’d most want to settle for practice, whether you’d rather swim in the Ocean or the Great Lakes, etc. I turned down a “top 15” school (ranked by research) for Toledo and haven’t regretted the decision.

wow thanks for the response. Both are great schools, no question about it. It is a really really really tough decision to choose between the two. Was there any particular reason why you turned down a "top-15" school for Toledo?

I have family in the area and was offered a full-tuition scholarship. I thought I might regret the decision, but I'm now well into my 3rd year, and as I said, I'm happy here. I think medical school is difficult enough, so I'm glad to be in a friendly environment without a competitive tension between students.

I have family in the area and was offered a full-tuition scholarship. I thought I might regret the decision, but I'm now well into my 3rd year, and as I said, I'm happy here. I think medical school is difficult enough, so I'm glad to be in a friendly environment without a competitive tension between students.

I sent you a PM

any other inputs/recommendations?

Hi, Abilene85, I just wanted to ask is the above statement true?

Well, I like the school and think it has given me a good education so far. And all out-of-staters I know received their Ohio residency for in-state tuition after the first year. From what I understand, it's pretty darn easy to get in-state status after MS1.

Hey all,

I don't mean to thread jack, but I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I was just excepted into both St. Louis University and the University of Toledo Med schools, and was looking for some advice from anyone on the two programs. Need to decide ASAP.. any advice will help.

Thanks guys!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.