University of St. Augustine Fall 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be in Florida on Thursday if anyone would want to meet up and practice interview questions :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am interviewing in Austin on Thursday. I am excited + nervous! Flying in from New England. Anyone else interviewing on that day?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you preparing for the interview? Am just a nervous wreck honestly. I have been struggling so hard to do this and now that its happening..wow

Wait. Mine is on Friday. I didn't know they had interviews scheduled for Thursday too

ha sorry...I am flying in on Thursday. Interview is on Friday morning.

has anyone posted about their interview experience/ questions at Austin on here? I am scrolling through the forums to find it

Yes there should be some posted in this forum.

I had tried to postpone my interview date from April 10th but was told thats the only one...

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if you're able to defer to the next term if you get accepted? just wondering.

Yes you can but I don't know if they have conditions

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know how many DPT students were at the first interview in Austin?
Call me crazy but I counted and I believe there were 54 applicants. Given that the class size is up to 50 I can't say I'm super surprised they're holding a second interview (also from murmers around the first interview they were always planning on having a second). I wouldn't be totally shocked if they had a third even. Gotta say I was kinda surprised by how few interview applicants there were from what I've seen schools typically interview 2-3 times what they actually need. My guess would be this is just how St. Augustine has to do things (spread out over a couple weeks) given they're a smaller staff than other schools.

Also again I wouldn't be shocked if it did take longer than 3-4 weeks for the first interview group to hear back (not to say USA is slow but just all the schools I've applied to this year were running behind schedule on notifying students) but at the same time when I touched base with Yvette and Juan after my interview they both reassured me it should be in their 3-4 week anticipated timeline so wouldn't be super shocked if we did have word by end of April. Fingers crossed! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Since I haven't heard from admissions for Fall about my application, I've been thinking about deferring my application to the Spring. I've spoken to another DPT applicant for Fall on here too, so I'm just trying to figure out what to do now. I know they're about to do their second interview on April 10th, and I'm definitely losing hope in just getting an interview. Does anyone know how many people have been accepted into the Fall 2015 entering class? Just trying to gauge and possibly defer my application for Spring...agh decisions decisions.

I don't think anyone has heard back about fall 2015 admissions decisions yet.

I don't think anyone has heard back about fall 2015 admissions decisions yet.

I've noticed, it's just that I haven't even been offered an interview, and their next one is April 10th :/ I'd be lucky to get an interview if they even hold a third one.

I've noticed, it's just that I haven't even been offered an interview, and their next one is April 10th :/ I'd be lucky to get an interview if they even hold a third one.
I am in the exact same boat as you. I re-take my GRE this Sat. Stay hopefull, Summer semester had 3 rounds of interviews and they're still contacting last minute people which is crazy considering they start in a month...I am just as stressed as you. I am pulling for us both!!!

Has anyone received an email back after RSVPing for the interview on Friday?

Has anyone received an email back after RSVPing for the interview on Friday?
Last interview Angeline did not reply to RSVPs but she did send out further directions and the agenda the Thursday afternoon before the interview.

You should call your advisor to ask about your application.

I called right after i submitted my application, and several times after that. I was given a login and password, relatively quickly (within a week) and called frequently to get any question I had answered. I had a phone interview (mid January-early February) within month of me submitting my application, and although my GRE score and one of my transcripts was missing I was persistent. I was called one week before the March 21st interview to confirm my GRE score, and that was the week they received my final transcript.

I applied for Austin Fall 2015. My status still says "under review" but the second round of interviews are already about to happen. I would assume it would be a different pool for the Spring applications and I would probably try and strengthen my application like retaking the GRE. I really wanted to get in by Fall but I'll he calling my adviser tomorrow about it.

What was your GRE score? I'm confident in the interview I had and my application displayed my commitment to the field, but I do have a few blemishes on my academic record and my GRE score was not the strongest. I am hopeful though. I applied to the Flex because I was sure I'd have better chance

has anyone posted about their interview experience/ questions at Austin on here? I am scrolling through the forums to find it

Yes, here is one >>> http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/interview-at-university-of-st-augustine.600351/page-2 << I pasted it below also

"
Interview

professionalism is desired at this school so start off by dressing well, smiling, and trying to make good eye contact (the obvious stuff). But more than that, one of the interview questions asked was: what does professionalism mean to you? or something along those lines. The interview is done in a group, at mine their was one other applicant, a professor, and another part-time prof. who also was a local practitioner. The interviewers would take turns asking questions, and took turns in addressing myself or the other applicant. Here is a list of both questions asked in my interview, and potential questions asked by USA ad-com I gathered on this forum.

• Why do you want to be a PT?
  • Why did you choose to apply to our school?
  • What stands out to you about this program over others?
  • What did you like most about your observation hours? Least?
  • How will you handle the stress/course load of the program?
  • Name a time when you failed, how did you handle it?
  • Chunky or creamy peanut butter? Haha, they really asked me that!
  • what would you bring to a picnic?
  • What would I do if someone offered me a copy of an upcoming test?
  • what would you do if while attending PT school you caught a friend of yours cheating on an exam?
  • How would you feel if Government tried to pass a national anti-smoking law?
  • If you wanted to change someones opinion, what would you do?
  • What are some things that you have NOT liked in your volunteer/work experience in the PT field?
  • What is a time in your life that your integrity was challenged and you had to demonstrate leadership?
  • name a time you struggled and what you did to overcome it?
  • what was your most challenging course in school and how did you adapt to it?
  • Define integrity.
  • name a difficult situation and how you handled it
  • how do you handle stress and when do you know you are stressed
  • do you feel you lead a healthy lifestyle
  • what is a time when you changed your priorities/view points about something
  • what's your favorite food?
  • what was an obstacle in your life and how we overcame it?
  • what did we consider leadership and an example?
  • then we were given 3 scenarios one of us a had a patient who was a smoker..one was over weight..and one did not do home exercises and we had to reply with how we would approach the patient and help change their bad habits
  • finally what is one of our weaknesses?
  • Describe a current political issue in healthcare/physical therapy?
  • what about physical therapy interests you?
  • Do you work better in a group or by yourself and why?

They will probably not ask you these exact questions but you can get from this the type of questions they ask: how you handle stress, ethics, ability to reflect on past experiences and learn from them, some funny/light-hearted questions, stuff on the school, something about if you work well in a group, some questions just to get to know who you are, and why you are interested in PT.

Essay
You are assigned an essay statement or question and given some time to compose a response. You are given about 45 minutes I believe. My essay question was: what does the phrase "quality of life" mean to you, and how does it relate to healthcare. Other questions that I have gathered from this forum are:

• what is more important to you, the science or the art of physical therapy?
  • What have you done to demonstrate your commitment to pursuing a career in PT?
  • What is the most important quality for a PT to posses?
  • What do you think will be the biggest ethical question you face as a PT over the next decade?
  • what will you contribute to your fellow students?

This was the information I used to prepare for my interview, and it helped immensely. I scourged the website to gather it all, and now here it is all nicely bundled for you future USA students. Good luck! and if I see you on campus I will accept a beer for gratuity "

my essay question was strength and weaknesses of healthcare system

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
What was your GRE score? I'm confident in the interview I had and my application displayed my commitment to the field, but I do have a few blemishes on my academic record and my GRE score was not the strongest. I am hopeful though. I applied to the Flex because I was sure I'd have better chance
Do you mind sharing your GRE score?

Sorry I miss-read your message, I already had my login before they called. It was probably two weeks after I got my log-in that she contacted me. It went well, she asked me questions about myself how many hours I have volunteered/worked in the area ect.. she did reccomend I retake my GRE before May just to make my application look even stronger. It was the first time any school I have applied to called and asked questions like that, I was caught off guard.

I called a short time ago, and asked whether or not I should retake the GRE (since i received 293) and she said, it is up to me, and that they don't tell students if they should or shouldn't.... I'm not doubting you though because I have a friend going into OT who applied and was told she needs to retake her GRE and would be reconsidered for the Fall 15 OT program...

so I'm getting mixed messages. I wish i would've gotten a straight answer :(

I called a short time ago, and asked whether or not I should retake the GRE (since i received 293) and she said, it is up to me, and that they don't tell students if they should or shouldn't.... I'm not doubting you though because I have a friend going into OT who applied and was told she needs to retake her GRE and would be reconsidered for the Fall 15 OT program...

so I'm getting mixed messages. I wish i would've gotten a straight answer :(
thank you for your quick responses. I know they "prefer" a 294, my advisor said "your application looks good but your GRE score may hurt your chances", that's when I decided to retake since I didn't hit the mark. It is too expenisive, I really hope I do well this time around because I may have to pull an extra job to retake it another time lol. I think defering may be best for me.

Has anyone heard back from San Marcos campus?? I've had an interview with them over three weeks ago and my status online still says "you've been invited to the interview..." I'm getting so antsy!! :(

I have offically defered my application to the Spring, in the hopes that retaking my GRE this coming week will make my application stronger. I wish you all the best for Fall, hope to see you guys there soon! Good Luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I have offically defered my application to the Spring, in the hopes that retaking my GRE this coming week will make my application stronger. I wish you all the best for Fall, hope to see you guys there soon! Good Luck everyone!
Pm'd

Has anyone heard back from San Marcos campus?? I've had an interview with them over three weeks ago and my status online still says "you've been invited to the interview..." I'm getting so antsy!! :(

I feel the same way. I'm waiting to hear back from Austin. I read a post and there were people who just waited one week, then there were others who waited 8-9weeks to hear back after interview. The schools should hire more people so that the process can be faster.

TeleeDpt2020 thanks soo much for those interview questions and etc!!!!!

Flying out tomorrow morning to Austin. Will let you guys know how it goes on friday

Reactions: 3 users
I have an interview for the CA campus this Friday, April 10th for Fall 2015. Super excited & nervous! :xf:

I have an interview for the CA campus this Friday, April 10th for Fall 2015. Super excited & nervous! :xf:
Oh wow thats like a month after my interview! I wonder how many interviews they had for CA campus.....im guessing we'll have to wait much longer since theres an interview this friday :(:(:( goodluck btw!

Does anyone know the chances that there is another interview session for USA San Marcos?

I just got a call from Jocelyn at USA San Marcos informing me I was invited for an interview this Saturday. Apparently they emailed me last week but the email went to my spam folder and I never saw it. Unfortunately I have a work commitment this Saturday And when I mentioned that, she told me I could request an alternate interview date but that is not guaranteed. Does anyone have any advice on whether I should go to this interview session (which would screw over the people I work for) or request an alternate interview date and hope they hold extra interviews?

Hi fellow future PTs! I'm new to this forum and I'm currently planning to apply for the Spring 2016 intake. I was wondering if you guys could help me answer a quick question about the process.

I'm currently working on my application and completing the auto-biography part at the moment, but I'd like to get a head start on my references. I did some digging and found this:

https://my.usa.edu/ICS/icsfs/Reference_form_-_8-13.pdf?target=fec5e710-652d-457f-a397-7eb9a657acab

Is this the only thing my references need to fill out, or do they need to supply a letter as well? I've tried e-mailing Erika and Jocelyn but they have yet to respond - I'm assuming they're super busy with you guys!

Hope to hear back from you guys soon and hopefully see you guys at USA in the near future! Good luck with the interviews!

mh04reference sost: 16373117 said:
Hi fellow future PTs! I'm new to this forum and I'm currently planning to apply for the Spring 2016 intake. I was wondering if you guys could help me answer a quick question about the process.

I'm currently working on my application and completing the auto-biography part at the moment, but I'd like to get a head start on my references. I did some digging and found this:

https://my.usa.edu/ICS/icsfs/Reference_form_-_8-13.pdf?target=fec5e710-652d-457f-a397-7eb9a657acab

Is this the only thing my references need to fill out, or do they need to supply a letter as well? I've tried e-mailing Erika and Jocelyn but they have yet to respond - I'm assuming they're super busy with you guys!

Hope to hear back from you guys soon and hopefully see you guys at USA in the near future! Good luck with the interviews!

you cant do references until you submit application and they give username and password. then you provide references emails.and.they.receive email with link.

Does anyone know the chances that there is another interview session for USA San Marcos?

I just got a call from Jocelyn at USA San Marcos informing me I was invited for an interview this Saturday. Apparently they emailed me last week but the email went to my spam folder and I never saw it. Unfortunately I have a work commitment this Saturday And when I mentioned that, she told me I could request an alternate interview date but that is not guaranteed. Does anyone have any advice on whether I should go to this interview session (which would screw over the people I work for) or request an alternate interview date and hope they hold extra interviews?

I read on a previous post that a gentelman had the same issue for Summer interviews. He asked for an alternate interview date and they had him do it with the first round of interviews for Fall. It'll just give you a shorter notice on your acceptance (a month) verses months. That's his situatuion, or from what I gathered by his posts anyway. Honestly if it was me I wouldn't chance it. If anything request a phone interview. I have been trying to get into PT school for 3 years now, therefore, my job knows the importance and although they may dislike me for a day it is my entire future I would be worried about.

Reactions: 1 users
I called St Augustine close to 10 times leaving VM and emailed them 3 times and never heard a response. They are by far the hardest school I've had contacting -its rather ridiculous actually. I think I applied here, I filled out and sent all of the necessary docs, have a receipt for applying but received no confirmation email and have heard nothing from them regarding my application status. They were my no. 2 choice and I was starting to get rather irritated...luckily I got into my no. 1 choice Chapman...however I'm still very disappointed in St. Augustine.

Hi there, they don't submit a reference. It asks them questions and they fill in the blanks with responses. I had no idea of this until the PT's I work for let me know how it's different then what they are used to PTCAS. They did say it was easy for them to just copy and paste. Like the other response stated you will get that opportunity once you get your user name and password.

I read on a previous post that a gentelman had the same issue for Summer interviews. He asked for an alternate interview date and they had him do it with the first round of interviews for Fall. It'll just give you a shorter notice on your acceptance (a month) verses months. That's his situatuion, or from what I gathered by his posts anyway. Honestly if it was me I wouldn't chance it. If anything request a phone interview. I have been trying to get into PT school for 3 years now, therefore, my job knows the importance and although they may dislike me for a day it is my entire future I would be worried about.
I second this! While you really don't want to screw over your co-workers or the company you work for, that job is not your career and they should understand the importance of getting into PT school.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh wow thats like a month after my interview! I wonder how many interviews they had for CA campus.....im guessing we'll have to wait much longer since theres an interview this friday :(:(:( goodluck btw!

I noticed a lot of people applying for Summer & Fall 2015 had the same interview day.
If it's not too much trouble how was your experience with the interview?
Thank you! :)

@faith_PT and @b_campbell04 Thank you both for the advice. I decided to accept the interview invitation and fortunately my employers were able to find coverage for me. I'll keep you all posted about how the interview session goes.