~*~University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Class of 2011 ~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alright there is a group up now

All I need is a picture for it but start joining!

Search University of Pittsburgh-Medicine c/o 2011 or any portion of that and it should pop up.

All I find is "University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, Class of 2011"; anyone else have better luck?

Members don't see this ad.

you will be able to find it now....i neglected to make it global

Members don't see this ad :)
So who is going to be joining me for the bright and early 5K run during second look?

So who is going to be joining me for the bright and early 5K run during second look?

:( I can't, I have a meeting that morning. Oh yeah, and I can't run (knee problem). But I'm jealous of all of you who can - it must be so much more interesting than the elliptical machine!

:( I can't, I have a meeting that morning. Oh yeah, and I can't run (knee problem). But I'm jealous of all of you who can - it must be so much more interesting than the elliptical machine!

I can't run either! My asthma likes to act up when I run, but doesn't with the elliptical or bikes. Not sure why it does that at all.

I haven't decided on the 5k yet. I haven't ran in ages, so little ol' Looque would probably be huffing and puffing, as sad as that is. Granted, the hardest part would probably still be waking up early on a Saturday.

I haven't decided on the 5k yet. I haven't ran in ages, so little ol' Looque would probably be huffing and puffing, as sad as that is. Granted, the hardest part would probably still be waking up early on a Saturday.

oh, you know you want to do it - and I promise I'll be right there huffing and puffing along with you

I don't knowwww, but we'll see. If the weather is nice, maybe I'll do it. If I would step outside to the chance of frostbite, I'll probably decline for bitter memories of the cold early weeks of high school track season.

Given the number of people active on this thread, I feel like there should be more joining the facebook group.

anyone else get login info today? i haven't read the letter yet but my dad called to tell me my pitt.edu email address and password. maybe we can access all of that zone stuff now!

anyone else get login info today? i haven't read the letter yet but my dad called to tell me my pitt.edu email address and password. maybe we can access all of that zone stuff now!

Hmm - cool. Haven't checked my mailbox yet since I'm still at work. I'm assuming it came snail mail?

Hmm - cool. Haven't checked my mailbox yet since I'm still at work. I'm assuming it came snail mail?

yup...my parents called to ask if they could open the letter because they get so excited when i get mail from pitt. i think they're hoping the next letter says "full scholarship!"

No fair! I already got today's mail and nothing from Pitt :( Hopefully it will come soon, because I'd really like to get access to all that protected stuff!

Members don't see this ad :)
just tried the password...it's not working for all of the neat stuff. the letter says it can be used for my.pitt.edu and that website really isn't all that exciting right now. :(

I didn't get any med school mail today, but I'm in Missouri, so perhaps I'm a day further in snail-mail time. An email address, though? It's starting to feel pretty real.

That's exciting. :D I hope it gets to my house tomorrow.

That's exciting. :D I hope it gets to my house tomorrow.

I'm in Philadelphia so that may have something to do with it! The username and password lets you into your email (which is probably empty), financial info (which is also empty), and the academic schedule (also empty). It's not letting me into the curriculum site so I think that's something different. I agree with Erina - not nearly exciting as expected! ;)

I didn't get any med school mail today, but I'm in Missouri, so perhaps I'm a day further in snail-mail time. An email address, though? It's starting to feel pretty real.

haha yeah, an email address...but not the med school one. thanks, pitt, for being a tease.

Oh, okay. I guess I'm a lot less jealous now :D I don't get the point of having a regular pitt email in addition to a pittmed email; that's all I need, MORE email addresses!

Oh, okay. I guess I'm a lot less jealous now :D I don't get the point of having a regular pitt email in addition to a pittmed email; that's all I need, MORE email addresses!

I don't get that either. I hope that exciting things come up when I have my password.

at least it gives you the option of forwarding the mail that goes to that address to another address. so i'm just letting all of my pitt.edu mail go to gmail instead. it'll be neat to start getting real pitt email, even if it isn't med school related.

I'll be running the 5k on Saturday morning during second look weekend. It should be a good time.

I won't be at second look weekend, but I am hoping that someone who goes will ask what the difference is between the two one-bedroom apartments? I know, I know, I sent people the floorplans...but I want to know if the housing staff has anything to say about it (is it enough space for a dining room table? Are there other advantages aside from the alternate layout?) Also, can someone let me know if the apartments are furnished or not (please no!) and if utilities are separate or included in the price? Thanks in advance!!! Here's to wishing the financial aid info was in-hand already.

If they take us to the Darragh St. apartments, I will definitely ask your questions -- I want to know too!

If they take us to the Darragh St. apartments, I will definitely ask your questions -- I want to know too!

I called and asked a few weeks ago if we could see the Darragh St. apartments, and they said no, they aren't ready to be shown yet. So in order to find anything out, one would have to go by the student housing center (address on their website). I will try, but I don't know if I'll have a chance; I've pretty much packed all my free time with meetings and apartment visits.

I won't be at second look weekend, but I am hoping that someone who goes will ask what the difference is between the two one-bedroom apartments? I know, I know, I sent people the floorplans...but I want to know if the housing staff has anything to say about it (is it enough space for a dining room table? Are there other advantages aside from the alternate layout?) Also, can someone let me know if the apartments are furnished or not (please no!) and if utilities are separate or included in the price? Thanks in advance!!! Here's to wishing the financial aid info was in-hand already.

I remember reading something on the off-campus living website saying that the university owned apartments do not come with furniture (although they do come with washer and dryer, dishwater, and installed microwave) and that all utilities (including cable and wireless internet) are included in the price. I'll try to see if I can find the link and post it here. Dunno about the alternate layout thing.

Description of university owned apartments including unfurnished thing: http://www.ocl.pitt.edu/apartments/university-owned.html

Description of apartment amenities and utilities info:
http://www.ocl.pitt.edu/apartments/darragh.html

I remember reading something on the off-campus living website saying that the university owned apartments do not come with furniture (although they do come with washer and dryer, dishwater, and installed microwave) and that all utilities (including cable and wireless internet) are included in the price. I'll try to see if I can find the link and post it here. Dunno about the alternate layout thing.

Description of university owned apartments including unfurnished thing: http://www.ocl.pitt.edu/apartments/university-owned.html

Description of apartment amenities and utilities info:
http://www.ocl.pitt.edu/apartments/darragh.html

Does anybody know if we should be jumping on these apartments asap? Or are we pretty much guaranteed a spot? I would like the option of looking at some over second look and then making a choice.

-PD

I know I may be beating a dead horse here, but I would highly recommend that people check out other apartments in Pitt. It is one of the best, cheapest real estate markets in the country. To lock yourself into campus housing just to meet other students doesn't make sense to me.

I know I may be beating a dead horse here, but I would highly recommend that people check out other apartments in Pitt. It is one of the best, cheapest real estate markets in the country. To lock yourself into campus housing just to meet other students doesn't make sense to me.

I'm with you. I've done some glorious Craigslist searches for Pittsburgh apartments, and if I do end up chosing Pitt, I'll go with one of those.

My student host at Pitt had a 3 story duplex (or 4 stories if you count the basement), with 3 bedrooms and a ginormous living area for only $600 a month. TOTAL. She had her boyfriend and two roommates living there, so rent broke down to <$200 per month. Damn!

i would be moving by myself to a new city where i don't know anybody, and the housing will be full of my classmates. the housing is brand new with nice amenities for a reasonable price. it's across the street from a free gym, and from the place that i'll be spending 5/7 days of my week. and it's not down the hill. so what doesn't make sense about this?

Does anybody know if we should be jumping on these apartments asap? Or are we pretty much guaranteed a spot? I would like the option of looking at some over second look and then making a choice.

-PD

Applying for student housing does not commit you to signing a lease and living there, so if you are considering it as a possibility, I would get your name on the list soon. But 2nd look isn't so far away, so you could probably wait until afterwards as well. How's that for some decisive advice? ;)

i would be moving by myself to a new city where i don't know anybody, and the housing will be full of my classmates. the housing is brand new with nice amenities for a reasonable price. it's across the street from a free gym, and from the place that i'll be spending 5/7 days of my week. and it's not down the hill. so what doesn't make sense about this?

I know, that's what I keep thinking too. My other big reason for wanting to stay on campus is because I would like to be able to spend a bit more time than the little bit over second look to be able to look at apartments so that I feel like I made a good informed decision about where to live. If I lived closer than the 9+ hour drive away, then it wouldn't be a problem to take a day trip to find a different apartment.

I'll point out that no one is "locking" themselves in at this point - that doesn't happen until you sign a lease, and the housing office is no where close to that at this point (or so it seems). I'm just considering it one of many other apartment options, most of which I'll check out over 2nd look (I'm going a day early, plus my husband will continue scouting out places during 2nd look activities). Then we'll have to weigh price, convenience, size, quality, etc. Nothing wrong with keeping options open.

There is a huge downside to living this close to the med school. You are surrounded by hospitals, so expect to hear ambulance sirens pretty much non stop. You aren't in any of the "cool" areas in Oakland, or in a great area like Shadyside or Squirrel hill.

I'm not saying that it won't be convenient and that it might not be right for you, but you should definitely at least consider the alternatives.

There is a huge downside to living this close to the med school. You are surrounded by hospitals, so expect to hear ambulance sirens pretty much non stop. You aren't in any of the "cool" areas in Oakland, or in a great area like Shadyside or Squirrel hill.

I'm not saying that it won't be convenient and that it might not be right for you, but you should definitely at least consider the alternatives.

it's true that i should consider other options, and i have. but there seemed to be plenty of decent places to eat around oakland. so the way i see it, it would be convenient to be near the school five days out of the week, when i want to be at school and maybe grab lunch or dinner in the area. on the weekends, i'd have to travel to other neighborhoods to hit a bar or get groceries. but if i lived in shadyside and wanted to go to a bar in the strip district or some other neighborhood, i'd have to travel anyway. so from my inexperienced perspective, i expect it to be more convenient overall to be on campus.

Is this it?? :eek:

I plan on coming. I bought my plane ticket and all. Even though I did a little Pitt bashing a few pages back, I actually really liked my interview day and I look forward to returning. I hope to meet up with both my student host and my interviewer again, and I am looking forward to seeing Pittsburgh by daylight. (Note: I will not be doing the run though. Columbia's 2nd look also has a run incorporated into the weekend. What is that?!? I feel inadequate.)

Going to 2nd Look
pedsdoc2b
Severus
dottore07
shantster
Brennydoo
Looque
Cubbbie

i doubt severus is going to second look. it sounded like she is pretty set on columbia. anyone know?

i'm not going to make it. fin aid will be all the second look i need at this point.

i doubt severus is going to second look. it sounded like she is pretty set on columbia. anyone know?

i'm not going to make it. fin aid will be all the second look i need at this point.

mmm, i think she withdrew from pitt. i thought i read that somewhere.

Eh....after living next door to the death star (aka Penn's helicopter system) and HUP for years and then in between two hospitals and a fire department now, ambulance sirens aren't that bothersome. Not being in an area with lots of cute boutiques and BYOB restaurants right outside my door is going to stink (hopefully there are some good Thai, Spanish, or Mexican substitutes in Pittsburgh), but with little money to spend at either anyway, I'm not too worried. Plus, there seemed to be a few streets with cheap ethnic restaurants around Pitt.

Nice place Erina - the kitchen looks really open and airy and geez, 800 square feet for only $860? The last 800 square foot apartment I looked into renting was way over my budget at $1700 per month.

Eh....after living next door to the death star (aka Penn's helicopter system) and HUP for years and then in between two hospitals and a fire department now, ambulance sirens aren't that bothersome. Not being in an area with lots of cute boutiques and BYOB restaurants right outside my door is going to stink (hopefully there are some good Thai, Spanish, or Mexican substitutes in Pittsburgh), but with little money to spend at either anyway, I'm not too worried. Plus, there seemed to be a few streets with cheap ethnic restaurants around Pitt.

Nice place Erina - the kitchen looks really open and airy and geez, 800 square feet for only $860? The last 800 square foot apartment I looked into renting was way over my budget at $1700 per month.

The Mexican/Spanish in Pitt are lacking, but there are a few great Thai restaurants, amazing (and cheap!) sushi places, and the best french restaurant that I have ever eaten at.

The Mexican/Spanish in Pitt are lacking, but there are a few great Thai restaurants, amazing (and cheap!) sushi places, and the best french restaurant that I have ever eaten at.

Bummer - oh well, if there's a source for jalapenos and chorizo I'll have to hunker down and cook my own. Sushi, Thai, and French ~~~> yum!!!

i could have sworn the woman said it was more than 800 square feet, but yeah, i think it's a great price for what i'm getting. i wanted a bright apartment because otherwise i don't study well and this one was perfect.

I also recall seeing a sign for $1 bottles of Yuengling every day, every week, at some bar only a block or so from the med school... :banana:

Erina seems to have found a good place. I hate to further endorse the search method for fear of incidentally giving away my own future apartment, but, based on a Craigslist search, there seem to be tons of very cool apartments in the area.

chipotle is mexican enough for me, and there's one in oakland.

Thanks Erina!

Only one week for winter break. That's depressing.

Thanks Erina!

Only one week for winter break. That's depressing.

I usually only had 2 at undergrad, but with the way that christmas has been falling lately, it's been closer to three.

I'm surprised that don't get anything around Easter.