~*~University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Class of 2011 ~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just popping in to say, Congrats Shantster!!!! You totally deserve this!! :hardy: :hardy: :horns: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:smiley overload:

Thanks everyone. :D And I think I still need to fill out the financial aid forms since I need loan money to live on, but this makes it a much smaller number. The scary thing is that I have to be there on June 1st and so I think I'm going to have to try to change my flight for second look so I have more time to check out places to live.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks everyone. :D And I think I still need to fill out the financial aid forms since I need loan money to live on, but this makes it a much smaller number. The scary thing is that I have to be there on June 1st and so I think I'm going to have to try to change my flight for second look so I have more time to check out places to live.

My recommendation: check out Shadyside. It's the nicest area to live that's close to the med school :D

does anybody have a good idea about how much time pitt students spend in class? the daily calendar they passed out just shows "am" and "pm" blocks of time with no actual times, and i'm not sure if "sdl"/"self-directed learning" means individual study time or pbl time. anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody have a good idea about how much time pitt students spend in class? the daily calendar they passed out just shows "am" and "pm" blocks of time with no actual times, and i'm not sure if "sdl"/"self-directed learning" means individual study time or pbl time. anyone know?

So I can only offer what I've seen by looking at some of the publically available course syllabi, but it seems like Pitt students spend most of the "work day" in class. http://navigator.medschool.pitt.edu/
Of the available to view classes, most morning class blocks started at 8am/8:30am and then went until noon or so and then the afternoon classes seem to go from 1 to 4:30-5pm. However, not all of the syllabi are viewable so some classes may have lighter schedules than others and a lot of the syllabi that are viewable are for the second year courses. Also, SDL is individual study time at other schools (like Case Western) so I'd imagine it's the same at Pitt. PBL seems to be worked directly into the course schedule so some days there are lectures and some days there are pbls (and possibly additional lecture time). It'd be awesome if a current student could chime in though!

Hey everybody I've begun to look for housing in the Pittsburgh area and came across some nice apartments called Shadyside Commons. Does anyone know anything about them? If they're close to the school, good neighborhood??

Hey everybody I've begun to look for housing in the Pittsburgh area and came across some nice apartments called Shadyside Commons. Does anyone know anything about them? If they're close to the school, good neighborhood??

I don't know anything about those apartments in particular, but the Shadyside area is awesome. That's where I'm gonna live if I come to Pitt. You would probably have to drive/take the bus to school, but it would be only about a 5 min drive max.

Pretty much for every class, attendance is not required. Some require it in PBL. There are people who go to lecture every day all lectures in which case it would be the majority of most days. Other people seemed never to go and would just show up for exams and some of the required PBL's. As far as I can tell it you just have to figure out what works best for you.

hey folks.

i was browsing around the website link they gave us in the financial aid email, and came across a "student survival guide." it's a couple years old, but has some interesting inside information on curriculum and student life. i assume it's a public document since i was able to access it:

http://www.zone.medschool.pitt.edu/C0/Student%20Survival Guide/default.aspx

Hey everyone. Does anybody out there have any experience with or know anything about Meyer's Management? They seem to have a bunch of apartments and appear repeatedly on the off-campus housing website, so I'd love to know if anyone has any inside information on them. Current students?

Hey everyone. Does anybody out there have any experience with or know anything about Meyer's Management? They seem to have a bunch of apartments and appear repeatedly on the off-campus housing website, so I'd love to know if anyone has any inside information on them. Current students?
When I went apartment hunting two weeks ago, I called them and asked if they had any apartments to show for August. They said they had nothing. I was disappointed because it seemed like they might be good to go with but oh well.

Anybody heard of Forbes Management? They seem to have some nice places (at least the photos look nice). Apparently a lot is under renovation ... good thing or bad thing? :)

www.forbesmanagement.net

When I went apartment hunting two weeks ago, I called them and asked if they had any apartments to show for August. They said they had nothing. I was disappointed because it seemed like they might be good to go with but oh well.

Bummer - I hope this isn't true of many places! My husband and I won't be apartment hunting until 2nd look, so hopefully there will be plenty of good places left...

Anybody heard of Forbes Management? They seem to have some nice places (at least the photos look nice). Apparently a lot is under renovation ... good thing or bad thing? :)

www.forbesmanagement.net

i replied to your PM about this but just so other people know...I looked at their 2 S. Fairmount ones. May be ok for 1 person, but they felt cramped to me. One had laundry for only that apartment in the basement, which was kind of nice. But they were just too small for me to feel comfortable in. My boyfriend's coming with me so I wanted enough room for two people. The one had a really big bedroom but the living area could barely fit a couch...the other (with the laundry) had a terribly small bedroom and enough room in the living area for a futon and TV.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bummer - I hope this isn't true of many places! My husband and I won't be apartment hunting until 2nd look, so hopefully there will be plenty of good places left...

well i think i went early for some places. some of the ones i called said they wouldn't know their august availability for awhile--one place even said they won't know until april or may. other places, the ones i looked at, seemed to think that their apartments would be rented very quickly. i guess it depends on the company.

well i think i went early for some places. some of the ones i called said they wouldn't know their august availability for awhile--one place even said they won't know until april or may. other places, the ones i looked at, seemed to think that their apartments would be rented very quickly. i guess it depends on the company.

That's good news - if this Darragh Street Pitt apartment thing falls through, I won't be looking for an apartment till the end of May! I guess it makes sense though since all the leases I've had have required 1-2 months notice on whether or not I'd renew my lease (and thus make the apartment available again).

Yeah, I've started treating it as if the Darragh Street place won't be available. Just sounds doubtful at this point. But hopefully there will be more info before it comes time to sign a lease!

anyone wanna give us something else to waste time with and create a facebook group?

anyone wanna give us something else to waste time with and create a facebook group?

I LOVE wasting time, especially this semester -- maybe I'll try making one later this week (feel free to beat me to it if I take too long getting around to making the group)

I LOVE wasting time, especially this semester -- maybe I'll try making one later this week (feel free to beat me to it if I take too long getting around to making the group)

i can't make one, i have a phobia of making a facebook group that no one joins. hopefully people here would end up joining and we could eventually force the entire entering class to join, but i'll leave the potential rejection up to someone else :D

(don't hate me because i'm paranoid)

Yeah, I've started treating it as if the Darragh Street place won't be available. Just sounds doubtful at this point. But hopefully there will be more info before it comes time to sign a lease!

I just talked with Kevin at the housing office today, and it sounds like the Darragh Street apartments will be available in August. Since I now have to move in by June 1st for PSTP, I called to see if I can move into Ruskin Hall for the summer and then move to Darragh Street once they are completed. He's pretty sure that is feasible and I should know for sure in a few weeks.

I just talked with Kevin at the housing office today, and it sounds like the Darragh Street apartments will be available in August. Since I now have to move in by June 1st for PSTP, I called to see if I can move into Ruskin Hall for the summer and then move to Darragh Street once they are completed. He's pretty sure that is feasible and I should know for sure in a few weeks.

thanks. did he tell you if it's at all useful to apply for the housing without the "required" student number? or should we wait to get a number?

Heya shanster. Thanks for posting about this. Did he give you any sense of when we should receive info about housing sign-up/confirmation of placement?

I just talked with Kevin at the housing office today, and it sounds like the Darragh Street apartments will be available in August.

Thanks. Did he happen to say when in August?

I was just notified this week that I was wait-listed at Pitt. I am disappointed, because it was definitely my first choice, but excited to still be in the running.

Time to start my PR campaign at the admissions office.

Hi ecoffin. Sorry about the wait-list, but glad you're keeping your spirits up. Definitely make sure the admissions office knows you're interested; both from personal experience and what I've heard from current students, Pitt looks positively on applicants' sincere expressions of interest. Update them with anything new, i.e. semester grades, publication, new volunteer activity, etc., and tell them why they are your first choice and why you'd be a good fit. Good luck, and keep us posted!

thanks. did he tell you if it's at all useful to apply for the housing without the "required" student number? or should we wait to get a number?

He said to go ahead and leave that blank since we won't get that until we get our ID. At least that's when I think we are getting our number.

Heya shanster. Thanks for posting about this. Did he give you any sense of when we should receive info about housing sign-up/confirmation of placement?

He didn't say anything specific about that. Since I need to know about moving in in late May, he said that I should call if I don't hear anything in the next week or so. He's really nice, and his phone number is 412-624-9900.

Thanks. Did he happen to say when in August?

He did not say exactly (nor did I ask), but I'm thinking that it's the beginning of August. It sounds like they will be done before school starts.

Oh, peds? Did you get into CSTP? Do you have to move in early this summer as well? If so, definitely call him and inquire about living in Ruskin for the summer. Then you will just move into Darragh when they are completed.

I'm curious: why are you guys living in campus housing? The Pittsburgh real estate market is so wide open. I feel like I must be missing something...

I'm curious: why are you guys living in campus housing? The Pittsburgh real estate market is so wide open. I feel like I must be missing something...

For me, I live in Wisconsin and so the only time that I would be able to see the city is during second look, which does not give me much time. This way I'll live someplace that I know is reputable for my first year, hopefully meet someone to live with, and then have time to go around and find a place rather than making what I would feel is a very rushed decision. If I lived closer to the area, I would find another place to live, but I don't.

I want to live in on-campus housing mostly to meet other first-year students. Granted, I could probably find somewhere cheaper if I looked at off-campus apartments, but for the first year, I figured I might as well just let Pitt plan things out for me.

i would want to live on campus because:

1) i would be heading to a new city by myself, and it should make it easier to befriend other students

2) the apartment rates seem pretty reasonable, esp in relation to it being new housing with nice amenities

3) it's less than two blocks from the med school and the gym, which should be especially nice in the winter

i'm still open to living off-campus after first year, if i meet people who would be good to live with.

Oh, peds? Did you get into CSTP? Do you have to move in early this summer as well? If so, definitely call him and inquire about living in Ruskin for the summer. Then you will just move into Darragh when they are completed.

Yes, I'm in the CSTP. Unlike the PSTP, it doesn't start early, so no need to worry about summer housing, but thanks!

My husband and I are just considering it among the possibilities. The housing sounds really nice (brand new and fully equipped), and it so darn convenient to the med school, and while it may be a bit expensive for the area, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Boston housing... I'm really hoping that it will be possible to view the housing at some point, because I'll want to be fully informed before signing any leases (off campus or on). Despite it not being ready to live in, do you guys think it'll be ready enough to show an apartment by 2nd look? That would be ideal.

So a couple of things...

I actually have to be at Pitt by June 1st so I had a lot of anxiety about finding a place to live etc. The MSTP program just had their second look last weekend and we got a good tour of the city. There are some really beautiful neighborhoods.

Oakland....quite a bit of apartments, but almost all undergrads and a few grad/medical students. Most of the current students I met suggested it only if you really want the convenience of living close to the med school. However. there are many places to eat out. And you'll be close to the Peterson Center (across from Scaife Hall) where you can use the gym for free.

Squirrel Hill....Lots of really nice houses (most places for rent are rooms in a house) and its a cute neighborhood. They have a little main st that has a taiwanese restaurant with bubble tea and such, and a bagel place, cold stone creamery ice cream shop, rita's water ice shop, and there is a movie theatre which shows quite a bit of independent films and a few mainstream ones. Also, there is atleast one starbucks. There are also two rivaling pizza shops-in addition to other restaurants. My student host lived here in a duplex and her place was pretty big and reasonable priced. Close to Schenly Park (not sure on that spelling)

(kind of southwest from school-over and down)

Shadyside...About 15- min to school. Lots of apartments and beautiful homes! It has a little main st as well (Walnut St) which has the following: William Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Ann Taylor, GAP, Banana Republic, Starbucks, one of the best restaurants in the country (from what I hear) Pamelas, (one of the best bakeries in the city from what I hear) Prantls, and lots of restaurants and bars.

(West from school)

Southside...about 15+ min to school but a busline goes there and there are UPMC buildings over there (its over a bridge). The neighborhood is being built up so now there's a movie theatre there. Shops and such. There are an amazing number of bars there, literally blocks and blocks. Quite a few restaurants as well. From the students that I met, they recommended not living there.

(East from school...not exactly sure on this)

Downtown...pretty accessible. A litte more pricey. Mostly a business district. Don't know too many students living in this area. mostly bankers, lawyers, etc.

(East from School and ends at the river)

I elected to live in Shadyside. Both Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are fully accessible by bus (which I'm sure u know is free for students), however, to me it just seemed like everyone used their car. A few considerations to make include how close you are to a supermarket. In Oakland, your not even remotely close so you'll have to bus it/drive for groceries. Same for Squirrel Hill. Ruskin Hall is not really as close to school as Darragh, but most students seem happy about it although the building is considerably old. Campus apartments (at least those for med students) cost about the same or even more than an apartment in the neighboring areas.

Hope this is helpful.

Have you guys recieved anything yet in terms of financial aid offers? For me, its kind of tough to figure out where I'm going to live when I don't know how much money I'm going to have....

I would highly recommend Shadyside or Squirrel Hill over Oakland.

Btw... there is a supermarket (giant eagle) in the middle of Squirrel Hill. I don't know of any supermarket in Shadyside.

I was told by a current med student that a lot of the people he knows who lived in Squirrel Hill moved to Shadyside to be closer.

And in terms of financial aid...no news. Got my Penn State financial aid reward today though, even though I'm not going there. Yay me, I can take out $50,000 in loans! I wish they had offered me a scholarship so I could bargain with Pitt but I know Penn State's not exactly big on helping their students out.

Btw... there is a supermarket (giant eagle) in the middle of Squirrel Hill. I don't know of any supermarket in Shadyside.

Yea, dunno either. There is Trader Joes which is like God's gift to budget minded foodies, but it's in a neighborhood called East Liberty (East of Shadyside and North of Squirrel Hill) if the google map is correct. So for those of you with cars and living out in Shadyside/Squirrel Hill, are you going to drive in every morning for class and such? This car + city thing is so foreign to me since I've been without one since moving from Houston (car driven urban sprawl) to Philadelphia (Car in Center City on a student budget? No way!) six years ago.

I was told by a current med student that a lot of the people he knows who lived in Squirrel Hill moved to Shadyside to be closer.

And in terms of financial aid...no news. Got my Penn State financial aid reward today though, even though I'm not going there. Yay me, I can take out $50,000 in loans! I wish they had offered me a scholarship so I could bargain with Pitt but I know Penn State's not exactly big on helping their students out.

$50,000 per year or total? Cause 50,000 total would be "amazing"! (amazing how one's perception changes on the whole loan issue...a few months ago 50k total seemed exorbinant...:eek: ).

Yea, dunno either. There is Trader Joes which is like God's gift to budget minded foodies, but it's in a neighborhood called East Liberty (East of Shadyside and North of Squirrel Hill) if the google map is correct. So for those of you with cars and living out in Shadyside/Squirrel Hill, are you going to drive in every morning for class and such? This car + city thing is so foreign to me since I've been without one since moving from Houston (car driven urban sprawl) to Philadelphia (Car in Center City on a student budget? No way!) six years ago.

i'd really like a clear answer on the car issue myself. i've been getting somewhat contradictory information from current students and former pittsburghers. some tell me i'd be fine without one, others think that i could get by but it would be a substantial hardship. i wonder just how many students have cars.

whether i will be buying a car for pitt is obviously a financial decision that i will weigh in relation to attending aecom, so it would be useful for me to know the answer before i choose a school.

I have a car but I think I'll be taking the bus since Pitt students ride for free. If the bus turns out to be a major issue, then I'll drive...but there are like 5 bus stops really close to my apartment in Shadyside so I figured I'll try that out.

$50,000 per year or total? Cause 50,000 total would be "amazing"! (amazing how one's perception changes on the whole loan issue...a few months ago 50k total seemed exorbinant...:eek: ).
haha $50,000 per year. If it was $50,000 total, I'd be talking to Pitt about those scholarships...cuz that's hard to pass up!

i'd really like a clear answer on the car issue myself. i've been getting somewhat contradictory information from current students and former pittsburghers. some tell me i'd be fine without one, others think that i could get by but it would be a substantial hardship. i wonder just how many students have cars.

whether i will be buying a car for pitt is obviously a financial decision that i will weigh in relation to attending aecom, so it would be useful for me to know the answer before i choose a school.

You can live without a car in Pittsburgh, but it's annoying. However, I'm sure it won't be a problem to buddy up with someone with a car. I imagine most med students will have one.

First off. I am graduating and lived in Shadyside the entire time. I wouldn't have wanted to live anywhere else. I think that you are just as likely to meet med student friends in shadyside as you are in Ruskin cuz this is one of the main places people go out. either here or SH is where most students live. Think VERY carefully if you are looking at a place that you have to go over a bridge or through a tunnel to get to school. traffic can be horrible here during rush hour.
As to car. You could probably get by without one in the first two years. Recognize that shopping for food, going to the movies, etc. will require some coordination and will be a big pain in the XXX. In your third year chances are good that if you don't live within close walking distance of school you will need a car. On my surgery rotation I was in the hospital at 5am every day. Depending on your team other rotations will be similar 5-6am. I am not sure if the bus even runs that early but there was no way I was going to stand around in the cold waiting to find out. so you either live close to school (nothing really to do) or you live somewhere nicer and drive. maybe other pitt students had a different experience but cost of living here is so cheap that it is very possible to have a car. good luck.

First off. I am graduating and lived in Shadyside the entire time. I wouldn't have wanted to live anywhere else. I think that you are just as likely to meet med student friends in shadyside as you are in Ruskin cuz this is one of the main places people go out. either here or SH is where most students live. Think VERY carefully if you are looking at a place that you have to go over a bridge or through a tunnel to get to school. traffic can be horrible here during rush hour.
As to car. You could probably get by without one in the first two years. Recognize that shopping for food, going to the movies, etc. will require some coordination and will be a big pain in the XXX. In your third year chances are good that if you don't live within close walking distance of school you will need a car. On my surgery rotation I was in the hospital at 5am every day. Depending on your team other rotations will be similar 5-6am. I am not sure if the bus even runs that early but there was no way I was going to stand around in the cold waiting to find out. so you either live close to school (nothing really to do) or you live somewhere nicer and drive. maybe other pitt students had a different experience but cost of living here is so cheap that it is very possible to have a car. good luck.

Thanks Indiamacbean. So, did you drive into school every morning during 1st and 2nd year? Where did you park?

During years 1 and 2 I would often take the bus to school. Sometimes I would ride my bike or walk from shadyside. Once the weather got bad I would sometimes drive and there is some parking around you just have to do a little exploring/accept your car might get broken into. You can also buy a parking permit for a nearby lot for a pretty reasonable price if you want to drive every day.

Hi guys,

I'm an MS1. If you have questions, PM me and I'll have my publicist get back to you as soon as I can. I am very important, and therefore am very busy, so if it takes a while for my staff to get in touch with you, please don't take it personally. Thanks, you've been great.

Hi guys,

I'm an MS1. If you have questions, PM me and I'll have my publicist get back to you as soon as I can. I am very important, and therefore am very busy, so if it takes a while for my staff to get in touch with you, please don't take it personally. Thanks, you've been great.

hi.

so what would be your take on living in shadyside or squirrel hill versus in the new on-campus apartments, and being car-less versus car-ful?

and thanks, indiamacbean and others, for your input.

Hey guys that are thinking/planning on living in Darragh Street next year. I'm looking for a roommate. I'm a female, nonsmoker, who keeps clean, and has pretty much all the furniture and kitchen things (dishes, pots, etc.) needed for the common rooms. The only thing necessary would be a dvd player and an extra chair or two for the living room.

I'd prefer living with someone else who is also a nonsmoker and someone who is going to second look so that I can meet you. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!! :)

Hi everyone!

I was accepted to Pitt in Feb. and am really excited to meet some of you at 2nd look :) I, too, will be living in Darragh Street and just to pass on some info I learned - it seems that the housing folks are definitely sure it won't be complete in July (which is sadly when I wanted to move in). However, they are aiming for the very first week of August to be ready. I asked whether I should look for an alternative in case this schedule fell through, but they assured me that would be unneccessary. (At the same time, I'd hate to be caught in limbo if they're behind......)

Does anyone know the difference between Type A and B single room apartments? I can't seem to find dimensions or actual photos anywhere. I have hopes that we'll get a chance to see the inside of the building during second look for a better idea.

Also, anyone have an idea what the weather is like in late April typically?

Thanks!

Oakland....quite a bit of apartments, but almost all undergrads and a few grad/medical students. Most of the current students I met suggested it only if you really want the convenience of living close to the med school. However. there are many places to eat out. And you'll be close to the Peterson Center (across from Scaife Hall) where you can use the gym for free.

Squirrel Hill....Lots of really nice houses (most places for rent are rooms in a house) and its a cute neighborhood. They have a little main st that has a taiwanese restaurant with bubble tea and such, and a bagel place, cold stone creamery ice cream shop, rita's water ice shop, and there is a movie theatre which shows quite a bit of independent films and a few mainstream ones. Also, there is atleast one starbucks. There are also two rivaling pizza shops-in addition to other restaurants. My student host lived here in a duplex and her place was pretty big and reasonable priced. Close to Schenly Park (not sure on that spelling)

(kind of southwest from school-over and down)

Shadyside...About 15- min to school. Lots of apartments and beautiful homes! It has a little main st as well (Walnut St) which has the following: William Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Ann Taylor, GAP, Banana Republic, Starbucks, one of the best restaurants in the country (from what I hear) Pamelas, (one of the best bakeries in the city from what I hear) Prantls, and lots of restaurants and bars.

(West from school)

Southside...about 15+ min to school but a busline goes there and there are UPMC buildings over there (its over a bridge). The neighborhood is being built up so now there's a movie theatre there. Shops and such. There are an amazing number of bars there, literally blocks and blocks. Quite a few restaurants as well. From the students that I met, they recommended not living there.

(East from school...not exactly sure on this)

Downtown...pretty accessible. A litte more pricey. Mostly a business district. Don't know too many students living in this area. mostly bankers, lawyers, etc.

(East from School and ends at the river)

Hi - I don't go to Pitt Med, but I did go to Pitt undergrad, and I'm totally procrastinating on work right now.

Your city layout is backwards from what I remember:
Downtown/Southside: West of Oakland
Squirrel Hill/Shadyside: East of Oakland

It's not a big deal, but can be useful when trying to get your bearings. And, no, people don't usually live in the downtown area. They've been trying to change this in the past few years, but it's been slow.

There are 2 supermarkets in Shadyside. There is a Giant Eagle, that is a few blocks away from UPMC Shadyside - near the corner of Centre Ave and Negley. It is accessible by the 71A. There is also a Whole Foods on Centre Avenue, a few blocks down from the Shadyside Giant Eagle. I think that that one is accessible by the 81B. It's a nice store, but, since it's Whole Foods, pretty expensive. (Actually, I think the Whole Foods is on the cusp between East Liberty and Shadyside, but close enough.)

It's a shame that they closed down the Giant Eagle in Oakland (i.e. "The Dirty Bird") It was kind of dirty, but convenient.

Also, anyone have an idea what the weather is like in late April typically?

As far as I can remember, the weather gets gorgeous in late April - sunny, and kind of warm. Then again, we always had undergrad final exams in late April, so my memory might be colored by that.

I really hope all of you enjoy living in Pittsburgh. I started undergrad not very enthusiastic about the city, but I left it really, really liking it a lot. Good luck!

There are 2 supermarkets in Shadyside. There is a Giant Eagle, that is a few blocks away from UPMC Shadyside - near the corner of Centre Ave and Negley. It is accessible by the 71A. There is also a Whole Foods on Centre Avenue, a few blocks down from the Shadyside Giant Eagle. I think that that one is accessible by the 81B. It's a nice store, but, since it's Whole Foods, pretty expensive. (Actually, I think the Whole Foods is on the cusp between East Liberty and Shadyside, but close enough.)

Those are both nice supermarkets, but are pretty far from the main area in Shadyside where most students would live. Wouldn't be a problem with a car though. Still, I think that Shadyside would definitely be the best place to live as a med student.