University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just booked the hotel (Holiday Inn Express)...$117 :eek: Never spent that much on a hotel before. Not many options in Pikeville, anyone else staying there for Oct. 12 interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Just booked the hotel (Holiday Inn Express)...$117 :eek: Never spent that much on a hotel before. Not many options in Pikeville, anyone else staying there for Oct. 12 interview?
I stayed at the Landmark Inn. Not the nicest hotel but it was fine for my one night stay and the people were really helpful. It was only about a mile from the school and $72 with tax. Ask for the Pikeville discount!

I flew into Charleston WV so I just stayed in a nice hotel there for about $60 a night. It was a 2 hour drive but I was close to the airport and my interview was at 12:30 so I had plenty of time to make it there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I flew into Charleston WV so I just stayed in a nice hotel there for about $60 a night. It was a 2 hour drive but I was close to the airport and my interview was at 12:30 so I had plenty of time to make it there.

I would do the same if my interview wasn't at 8:45

Has anyone been able to communicate with the admissions office at KYCOM? I have been trying to get in touch with the admissions office to check the status of my application, but it seems that whenever I call-it automatically goes into voice mail.

A couple questions for those who interviewed already.

Have you been asked your beliefs or knowledge about abortion, euthanasia, or other ethical/controversial questions?

Were you asked about major problems in healthcare or politics?

Have you been asked your beliefs or knowledge about abortion, euthanasia, or other ethical/controversial questions?

Not at all. I personally didn't have any type of ethics or current event questions. That being said, you should still have answers prepared, you never know.

I can't find any stats on diversity for this school. I'm really interested in rural medicine but the website doesn't show a diverse student body.

I'm a brown person so I don't want to stick out.

This years class is at least 10-20 percent minorities. Which is dramatically higher than the county minority rate (2%) I think.

I'm a second year at KYCOM, but I would be very surprised if those topics were brought up. Mostly the "tell me about yourself, why medicine, how do you think you'll handle the extreme workload in medicine?" Or questions about poor grades or MCAT (if those apply)

National pass rate for comlex level 1 was ~90% in 2011-2012. So yes, that's below the national average. A few things to look at, what kind of comlex scores would you expect coming from a school with a slightly lower MCAT average? It's not that the school is bad, the comlex is all about what the student puts into it. KYCOM gives some of the students with lower MCAT scores an opportunity to be a doctor. Some take the opportunity and do well, and some don't.

Did anyone who was accepted get anything in the mail yet? When the dean called he said to expect an email and letter in the mail, but I haven't gotten anything. I was accepted September 24th.

Did anyone who was accepted get anything in the mail yet? When the dean called he said to expect an email and letter in the mail, but I haven't gotten anything. I was accepted September 24th.
I got an email with a scan of my letter attached on the 26th, but nothing in the mail yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how often they send out ii's? I've been completed for 3 weeks and just wondering if I should give them a call or just become patient :)

I got the letter in the mail today.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how often they send out ii's? I've been completed for 3 weeks and just wondering if I should give them a call or just become patient :)

Wait

I think the latest ii were given out on september 26

I've been following these forums for a while and finally decided to join after my experience at my interview (Oct. 12).

Please share if anyone felt the same way about their interview.

Here are some normal questions I was NOT asked that I would think are essential to learning about an applicant:
A question about why I want to be a doctor
The usually starter, "tell me about yourself"
Why should we accept you?
I really wasn't asked any questions, just given information (one way street,see below)
In addition to those questions not being asked, my interviewers didn't seem interested in finding anything about me. To summarize, my interview consisted of their explanation of why I wasn't good enough. The most annoying part that continued during the whole interview was being told how terrible I was, and then the other interview repeated the exact same thing about how terrible I was. I wasn't asked questions like "how will you be successful since you have not......?" I was told I would be not successful. The school did not learn anything about me as a person. They seemed to have already made their decision I was not good enough. Before the interview we were told in the COAL Building in room 701 that the interview would be conversational (two way street), relaxed, and the interview would allow them to learn more about us. The interview was more like being called in the principal's office and getting in scolded for something that you did not do. Anytime I tried to redirect the topic and start a conversation by throwing a little information about the questions I expected them to ask they quickly redirected the scolding back to their perceived deficiencies. I know for sure my interview lasted less than 25 minutes, but likely was only 15 minutes. Overall I have to say my 10 hour drive from Michigan was a tremendous waste of time (and money).

BTW.
I have met all their requirements. My MCAT, sGPA, and cGPA are all WAY above their average including volunteer and DO LOR.

Did anyone have a similar interview experience and get accepted?

Also, I wanted to add something about the school.

Aside from the super low quality interview I was given, the school was top notch as far as the facilities are concerned. I was much more enthused about the school after tour. They have low tuition and I really like the small town setting.

I've been following these forums for a while and finally decided to join after my experience at my interview (Oct. 12).

Please share if anyone felt the same way about their interview.

Here are some normal questions I was NOT asked that I would think are essential to learning about an applicant:
A question about why I want to be a doctor
The usually starter, "tell me about yourself"
Why should we accept you?
I really wasn't asked any questions, just given information (one way street,see below)
In addition to those questions not being asked, my interviewers didn't seem interested in finding anything about me. To summarize, my interview consisted of their explanation of why I wasn't good enough. The most annoying part that continued during the whole interview was being told how terrible I was, and then the other interview repeated the exact same thing about how terrible I was. I wasn't asked questions like "how will you be successful since you have not......?" I was told I would be not successful. The school did not learn anything about me as a person. They seemed to have already made their decision I was not good enough. Before the interview we were told in the COAL Building in room 701 that the interview would be conversational (two way street), relaxed, and the interview would allow them to learn more about us. The interview was more like being called in the principal's office and getting in scolded for something that you did not do. Anytime I tried to redirect the topic and start a conversation by throwing a little information about the questions I expected them to ask they quickly redirected the scolding back to their perceived deficiencies. I know for sure my interview lasted less than 25 minutes, but likely was only 15 minutes. Overall I have to say my 10 hour drive from Michigan was a tremendous waste of time (and money).

BTW.
I have met all their requirements. My MCAT, sGPA, and cGPA are all WAY above their average including volunteer and DO LOR.

Did anyone have a similar interview experience and get accepted?

Also, I wanted to add something about the school.

Aside from the super low quality interview I was given, the school was top notch as far as the facilities are concerned. I was much more enthused about the school after tour. They have low tuition and I really like the small town setting.

I think they were doing what the old school ivy leagues did. Trying to best you down to see how you react. You may be surprised at what you thought was a disaster. Keep me updated. Nonetheless, I'm sure your post scared the crap out of everyone lol

I think they were doing what the old school ivy leagues did. Trying to best you down to see how you react. You may be surprised at what you thought was a disaster. Keep me updated. Nonetheless, I'm sure your post scared the crap out of everyone lol

I had the same thought about trying to see how I react. The only problem I have with that theory is they didn't ask me any questions to see how I responded, they basically told me "you suck", then the other interviewer said "you are terrible." Rinse and repeat a few times, then i was asked if I had any questions. I wanted to ask why you had me drive 10 hours for this? What did you learn about me that you didn't know before the interview?

My intention was not to scare anyone, but just be prepared. Maybe they did like me and just wanted to give me a hard time, but I highly doubt that based on the way they described how the interview would go. I will certainly update this Tuesday evening with news about if I received an acceptance call.

I had the same thought about trying to see how I react. The only problem I have with that theory is they didn't ask me any questions to see how I responded, they basically told me "you suck", then the other interviewer said "you are terrible." Rinse and repeat a few times, then i was asked if I had any questions. I wanted to ask why you had me drive 10 hours for this? What did you learn about me that you didn't know before the interview?

My intention was not to scare anyone, but just be prepared. Maybe they did like me and just wanted to give me a hard time, but I highly doubt that based on the way they described how the interview would go. I will certainly update this Tuesday evening with news about if I received an acceptance call.

Did they really tell you that ? Like verbatim? Seriously, I would have totally asked that to them.!!!! They would have been very intrigued by that. So, were they basing anything off of your app, or were they literally just blurting it out. I have to tell you, this is the most bizarre thing I've heard come from a DO interview. I hope you get good news. And I honestly hope I get an interview like this so I can ask them that question lol... Their jaws would drop.

Did they really tell you that ? Like verbatim? Seriously, I would have totally asked that to them.!!!! They would have been very intrigued by that. So, were they basing anything off of your app, or were they literally just blurting it out. I have to tell you, this is the most bizarre thing I've heard come from a DO interview. I hope you get good news. And I honestly hope I get an interview like this so I can ask them that question lol... Their jaws would drop.

Verbatim, no. Based on the tone and repetitive nature they told me without using those words. The entire interview was about my application, stuff they knew before the interview.

I can't think of a single thing they learned from the interview that they didn't already know from my application materials.

Verbatim, no. Based on the tone and repetitive nature they told me without using those words. The entire interview was about my application, stuff they knew before the interview.

I can't think of a single thing they learned from the interview that they didn't already know from my application materials.

They learned how you respond to tough questions under pressure. That means a lot. I've had one of these interviews, I've seen plenty of talk about them on here, and I've talked of current students who had the same experience. You should definitely wait until you're holding a rejection to be upset, and hope for the best until then.

How is the fee waiver with KYCOM supposed to work? I received a fee waiver from AACOMAS. Do I just submit my sup. app and they are supposed to refund the money?

How is the fee waiver with KYCOM supposed to work? I received a fee waiver from AACOMAS. Do I just submit my sup. app and they are supposed to refund the money?

They will refund the money, but it takes a little while. They didn't tell me, I just noticed a refund on my credit card.

They learned how you respond to tough questions under pressure. That means a lot. I've had one of these interviews, I've seen plenty of talk about them on here, and I've talked of current students who had the same experience. You should definitely wait until you're holding a rejection to be upset, and hope for the best until then.

I keep telling myself to stay positive. The only thing that worries me is the "respond" part since they didn't give me a chance to respond. Maybe they wanted to see my facial expression. Regardless, I stayed calm and maintained my composure during the entire time. They said most people will know tomorrow.

Has anyone who had an interview on October 12th heard of their status yet? They said it would be soon!

Has anyone who had an interview on October 12th heard of their status yet? They said it would be soon!

Haven't heard anything. My interview didn't go well similar to michigan1212 experience.

Received my ii this morning! Interviewing this Saturday October 19th.

Received a call from a 606 area code. I thought it was the university, but it was from the hotel I stayed. Super disapointed right now...lol

Received a call from a 606 area code. I thought it was the university, but it was from the hotel I stayed. Super disapointed right now...lol

Wow lol. I'm anxious to know if you got in! I really think you did

Wow lol. I'm anxious to know if you got in! I really think you did

There isn't much activity here (small sample size), but no one posted they got accepted from my interview so it is possible they didn't call anyone today.

There isn't much activity here (small sample size), but no one posted they got accepted from my interview so it is possible they didn't call anyone today.

I had a really positive interview experience, the woman basically told me she wanted to convince me to come there. Still no call. Several students told me they got emails on Monday or Tuesday, so we'll see I guess.

I had a really positive interview experience, the woman basically told me she wanted to convince me to come there. Still no call. Several students told me they got emails on Monday or Tuesday, so we'll see I guess.

At the interview I remember students saying they received calls from the dean on Monday and Tuesday (mostly Tuesday), one student said she didn't get a call until Thursday. Maybe tomorrow is the day.

Do they give interview invites by email or phone calls?

Do you remember who your interviewers were? As a current student, i would be able to comment better if I knew which professors were so harsh with you.

In general, how long did it take everyone from being complete to getting an interview invite?

In general, how long did it take everyone from being complete to getting an interview invite?
I was complete August 28th and received an interview invite on September 26th for Saturday October 12th date.

I received my acceptance Wednesday October 16th.

The admissions committee meets every monday from what I understood on the interview day.

anybody with a August 19 interview that wants to drive there together from Lexington ? message me your phone number.

anybody with a August 19 interview that wants to drive there together from Lexington ? message me your phone number.

Think you're a little late on that one lol

I was complete August 28th and received an interview invite on September 26th for Saturday October 12th date.

I received my acceptance Wednesday October 16th.

The admissions committee meets every monday from what I understood on the interview day.

Congratulations, I received my acceptance too.

Interview today was great! Couple questions out of the gate were tough on weaknesses in your app (senior year Gpa for me) but it was real laid back and conversational. Mine was almost an hour long because we just kept chatting. Had a lot of fun and they really sold the school to me. Remains top of my list! Hope everyone else's interviews went well!

I got the "application acknowledged" email on October 14 (less than 24 hours after submitting my secondary). It says my application has been downloaded by admissions staff. Is this the same thing as a "complete" email? It didn't mention that they had my LORs, although I sent those a week before I turned in my secondary itself.

I got the "application acknowledged" email on October 14 (less than 24 hours after submitting my secondary). It says my application has been downloaded by admissions staff. Is this the same thing as a "complete" email? It didn't mention that they had my LORs, although I sent those a week before I turned in my secondary itself.
You'll get a separate notification that your application is complete. This one is just to show that your secondary was submitted and didn't get eaten up by the internet or something.

You'll get a separate notification that your application is complete. This one is just to show that your secondary was submitted and didn't get eaten up by the internet or something.

About how long should that take? Should I be concerned it has taken over a week?

About how long should that take? Should I be concerned it has taken over a week?
I wouldn't worry too much if it's only been a week or two, but to set your mind at ease you can call (don't email) the admissions office and they'll confirm that everything made it in and let you know when you might expect an interview.