University of Oklahoma Fall 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Count me in too!!! I was admitted to the OKC campus!!! :hardy:

Does anyone know much about the dual degree program (Pharm. D./M.S.)? I'm interested in the program, but can't find much information about it.

Also, are there any scholarship opportunities or offers of tuition breaks for out-of-staters for the dual degree program or for the Pharm.D. in general?

Probably something that I should have asked about at the interview...but, I was more worried about the personality fit at that time than the financial aspect...

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to live south of about 41st. I actually live in Broken Arrow, which is only 10 minutes from school, and is really nice and safe. My friend lives in The Vintage at Yale (81st and Yale), and they're expensive, but nice. There are some really nice places to live down here, but I would stay out of downtown and the north (and probably east) sides.

Thanks for the info! I will keep that in mind when I'm searching for a place to stay. I can't wait to start!

Count me in too!!! I was admitted to the OKC campus!!! :hardy:

Does anyone know much about the dual degree program (Pharm. D./M.S.)? I'm interested in the program, but can't find much information about it.

Also, are there any scholarship opportunities or offers of tuition breaks for out-of-staters for the dual degree program or for the Pharm.D. in general?

Probably something that I should have asked about at the interview...but, I was more worried about the personality fit at that time than the financial aspect...

What would you like to know about the dual degree? We have lots of seminars and stuff about it, so I know quite a bit about it.

There are no scholarships or tuition breaks for out of staters. And, from what I understand, unless you've lived here before, or have family here, you cannot get in state status by the time you graduate.

The only scholarships that are available are the ones that you go get on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on Feb 23 and have met with a few others that did also. We didn't get an acceptance or rejection yet. Does anyone know when the rest of us will hear? I interviewed last year as well and was put on hold. I didn't get rejected until July. I hope I hear soon.

Thanks... I've got an apartment guide but it's so thick and you can't really tell what's ghetto:cool: and what's not. Are there any apartments you would recommend? I was a little scared when I ventured out past the OKC campus downtown.
How far are you willing to drive each day? If time/mileage is no issue, then I'd say live north of NW 39th and west of N. May Ave. The nicest apartments IMO are on Memorial Road by Quail Springs mall (stay away from Quail Run). There are some really nice ones right by the Target Super Center around that area (sorry I can't think of the name). The Bluff Creek apartments are also nice. If you pick a certain area/distance from the school, then it would be much easier to reccommend places.

How far are you willing to drive each day? If time/mileage is no issue, then I'd say live north of NW 39th and west of N. May Ave. The nicest apartments IMO are on Memorial Road by Quail Springs mall (stay away from Quail Run). There are some really nice ones right by the Target Super Center around that area (sorry I can't think of the name). The Bluff Creek apartments are also nice. If you pick a certain area/distance from the school, then it would be much easier to reccommend places.

Thanks, that's a good place for me to start. I will be making a trip there some time soon and maybe try to get a feel for the place and I will definitely check out the ones you've listed. Again thanks.

I interviewed on Feb 23 and have met with a few others that did also. We didn't get an acceptance or rejection yet. Does anyone know when the rest of us will hear? I interviewed last year as well and was put on hold. I didn't get rejected until July. I hope I hear soon.

I saw your name and have to ask, are you from Tahlequah?

I'm so excited!!! I'm all smiles now!!!! :):):) I am going to be at the OKC campus. I can finally relax now.

dginrit, Yes, I just moved to Tulsa in August. But before that I was in Tahlequah for 4 years.

Got my email: Application still under review. Not in, Not Out! "So your telling me there's a chance!"

I also received an email stating that my application was still under review. Are there any people here who can provide some insight beyond the obvious. Are they going in waves and this letter means they haven't reviewed our application yet or does it mean that they have reviewed our application and we have made the first cut of those people who may or may not make it? Any information you fine people provide would be greatly appreciated. To all those who have been accepted CONGRATULATIONS!!

Yea, Yea, Misquote. But good to know you like my kind of movies! Why cycloketocaine? Have you actually used the stuff or do you just like the name?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, Yea, Misquote. But good to know you like my kind of movies! Why cycloketocaine? Have you actually used the stuff or do you just like the name?

When I joined, I worked at a compounding pharmacy, and I made tons of cycloketocaine. That, and LorazepamGel didn't sound as fun.

Sounds good. I used to make a ton of 2% Progesterone cream but I definitely don't want to be called Hormone Man! Is this thread still alive or did all of you that got in just turn your noses up at the rest of us? I'm just anxious I guess. I know of one other person besides the one on this thread that has a "still under review status." Anyone know an estimate on how many may be on that list? Also how many out of staters will they accept? Website says 20% but there were 5 in my group of 9-10 and 2 couldn't speak English.

Sounds good. I used to make a ton of 2% Progesterone cream but I definitely don't want to be called Hormone Man! Is this thread still alive or did all of you that got in just turn your noses up at the rest of us? I'm just anxious I guess. I know of one other person besides the one on this thread that has a "still under review status." Anyone know an estimate on how many may be on that list? Also how many out of staters will they accept? Website says 20% but there were 5 in my group of 9-10 and 2 couldn't speak English.

We were comparing notes from the different dates at school, and we all thought that there were TONS more out of staters than last year.

I did my undergrad at NSU. Did you?

Is this the equivilant of a "wait list" for OU? Im still checking my email multiple times daily. I know that me and a friend got the same email. We both pulled our hair out trying to read between the lines. Im thinking that we will not hear anything until after spring break. :( Anyway, good luck to us all. :luck:

I am getting ready to send OU my 500 dollars!! Yay...haha not. Oh well, I am just thrilled to be accepted!

I am getting ready to send OU my 500 dollars!! Yay...haha not. Oh well, I am just thrilled to be accepted!

Yeah, that sucks. At least it will go twords your tuition, and isn't just for fun. If you don't like that 500, wait till you get your tuition/fees bill. I suggest doing it sitting down.

Yes Cycloketocaine, I did do my undergrad at NSU Tahlequah. I went back and took more classes at NSU-BA and at TCC. I used to work at Cox in Tahlequah with several others that got in to OU Pharmacy.

I went to NSU tahlequah and go to NSUBA now! I wont have to pay anymore tuition for pharmacy school because my IHS scholarship will pay for it all...now I might get beat up by everyone in pharmacy school for saying that!!

Hi everyone... I am new to this but have been reading the posts for a few days now. I have been accepted to the OKC campus:D But now I am freaking out because I am moving from out of state and have only been to OKC once. Does anyone have any advice on areas to live in or not to live in? Any info is greatly appreciated.

I recommend renting or buying in Midwest City. Only a 15 minute drive to class and no rush hour(s) on the highway like coming from Norman or Edmond. If you want to be very close there is a neighborhood just north of the school near the capital that is alright (have friends that live there) also. But I recommend avoiding just east of the school because that is a more dangerous area. I think some of my classmates live here too http://www.thelincolnatcentralpark.com/ which is right up the road from the school and close to the highway.

I went to NSU tahlequah and go to NSUBA now! I wont have to pay anymore tuition for pharmacy school because my IHS scholarship will pay for it all...now I might get beat up by everyone in pharmacy school for saying that!!

IHS scholarships are pretty common in my class.

Are you in Cell Bilology or Virology at NSU-BA?

What would you like to know about the dual degree? We have lots of seminars and stuff about it, so I know quite a bit about it.

I'd like to know a little about what the curriculum consists of. The website is kind of vague. Mainly, where do you fit the graduate work into your Pharm. D. schedule? What kind of faculty support do you have for your research? Is this a preferred track for those that would like to not only practice, but be pharmacy school professors some day?

Thanks for your help...sorry if these are dumb questions.

I am taking immunology right now. I have taken cell bio already, I am graduating in may!!!!!!!

Deadline for returning your acceptance/$$$ is the end of march. The admissions committee is meeting in early April to choose students to fill any spots that may become open due to people not accepting their invitation. So those of you on hold, remain patient for the next three weeks or so.

Thank you DownonthePharm for this information. This is my first time applying to Pharmacy school and was uncertain of what the email meant. Do you have any information as to how many people are on the wait list? If questions likes these are considered distasteful please let me know. Again, many thanks.

Should we call the office of Admissions and Records to make sure they received our deposit check? I am concerned about it not getting there for some reason!!

Thank you DownonthePharm for this information. This is my first time applying to Pharmacy school and was uncertain of what the email meant. Do you have any information as to how many people are on the wait list? If questions likes these are considered distasteful please let me know. Again, many thanks.

If you have need of any further information regarding admission please contact the school directly.

Anyone know how many accepted students choose other schools? I heard somewhere that the number is typically 15-20 people. I know for those of us with "still under review" staus we have a few more weeks before we know anything. Just passing time crunching useless numbers!!

I will be applying for next fall, but im kinda worried about my numbers.
gpa: 3.3 pcat: 67 so im not really sure if i should finish and get a degree in hopes that it would increase my chances of getting accepted. I also have 2.5 years of pharm tech experience. Basically just wondering if im wasting time or what?

Down or cyclo,

Would it be helpful to have a PDA or any other electronics for our first year. If so what would you recommend.

Thanks

hey man im gonna be going to Tulsa, and I am curious about the following things:

A.) is the Tulsa campus part of the OUHSC or is it separate. From what I have gathered the OUHSC is the OKC health center and the Schusterman Center is the Tulsa Campus Health center? I am happy to be a part of the OU family, but is the Tulsa campus a completely different school or just a branch of OU? I seem to find alot of info on OKC and Norman and not much on the tulsa campus.

B.) From what I have heard Tulsa is more visually aesthetic than OKC. It seems as though yall got a bunch of parks and stuff out there.

C.) I am looking into some housing and I am honestly so happy with the kind of apartments I can find for about a 1/3rd of the cost of the same apartment in California. I was looking into a place called Greenbriar do you know of that apartment complex? Is there anything closer to the center you would suggest?

Are you gonna be in Tulsa as well? I just sent my 500 bucks. Looks like im gonna be joining you out there :)

hey man im gonna be going to Tulsa, and I am curious about the following things:

A.) is the Tulsa campus part of the OUHSC or is it separate. From what I have gathered the OUHSC is the OKC health center and the Schusterman Center is the Tulsa Campus Health center? I am happy to be a part of the OU family, but is the Tulsa campus a completely different school or just a branch of OU? I seem to find alot of info on OKC and Norman and not much on the tulsa campus.

B.) From what I have heard Tulsa is more visually aesthetic than OKC. It seems as though yall got a bunch of parks and stuff out there.

C.) I am looking into some housing and I am honestly so happy with the kind of apartments I can find for about a 1/3rd of the cost of the same apartment in California. I was looking into a place called Greenbriar do you know of that apartment complex? Is there anything closer to the center you would suggest?

Do not stay at the Greenbriar. That is in a very bad part of town. 61st and lewis is not somewhere you want to stay. Just my opinion.

Tulsa campus is very different from OKC. We are actually all in one big building complex (for the most part) We have nursing, OT, and PA students, as well as some undergrads. We are definately a part of OU, however, we have tons of signs and flags.

Tulsa is nice, but I like the OKC campus better as far as decoration goes. We do have a nice exterior appearance (the part that faces the major roads), but once you get inside, it's pretty plain.

I stay in Broken Arrow, and I have a friend who has an apartment at The Vintage on Yale. You might wanna check them out, they're nice.

safely without having to go out to the suburbs. I don't feel like getting shot my second time in Oklahoma ;) heh. I wanna stay close to the center, but without fear of getting mugged or blasted. I have heard some bad and good things about metropolitan tulsa in terms of crime. I also heard broken arrow is extremely safe.

If I am to live in broken arrow how long is the commute??

safely without having to go out to the suburbs. I don't feel like getting shot my second time in Oklahoma ;) heh. I wanna stay close to the center, but without fear of getting mugged or blasted. I have heard some bad and good things about metropolitan tulsa in terms of crime. I also heard broken arrow is extremely safe.

If I am to live in broken arrow how long is the commute??

My commute is 10-15 minutes max, depending on traffic. I love living in BA, and I feel safe. My apartment has gates and alarms on every apartment.

Down or cyclo,

Would it be helpful to have a PDA or any other electronics for our first year. If so what would you recommend.

Thanks

Actually I dont know what they are recommending now for 1st years. Obviously you need access to a computer at home, but most people have that. I bought a laptop but have never taken it to class, except for one test that we could use it on. Others have them and type notes in class (I actually find the tapping noise annoying but whatever). Some classes dont let you use them during class time though.

I dont have a PDA, so I am clueless about that, I dont think you would need one until your last year. Search for some threads about them on this site. I have heard the old Dell one is good, but they dont make it anymore so you have to get a used one. Your second year you have a class where they spend part of a lecture talking about "peripheral brains".

Anyone know how many accepted students choose other schools? I heard somewhere that the number is typically 15-20 people. I know for those of us with "still under review" staus we have a few more weeks before we know anything. Just passing time crunching useless numbers!!

Ive been digging for this information and can not find it anywhere. Ive asked a few people from school and none of them have any idea. How many people get put on the wait list and how many of those people, on average, get accepted. Ive given myself a head ache lol.

Actually I dont know what they are recommending now for 1st years. Obviously you need access to a computer at home, but most people have that. I bought a laptop but have never taken it to class, except for one test that we could use it on. Others have them and type notes in class (I actually find the tapping noise annoying but whatever). Some classes dont let you use them during class time though.

I dont have a PDA, so I am clueless about that, I dont think you would need one until your last year. Search for some threads about them on this site. I have heard the old Dell one is good, but they dont make it anymore so you have to get a used one. Your second year you have a class where they spend part of a lecture talking about "peripheral brains".

Thank you!!! I won't worry about getting one now then.

I just got accepted to OU--OKC campus...I'm really excited about going there, but I don't know where to stay. I'm coming from California and I don't know anyone in OK. Should I consider on campus housing? Or should I just look for a place off campus? Is anyone looking for a roommate? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

I just got accepted to OU--OKC campus...I'm really excited about going there, but I don't know where to stay. I'm coming from California and I don't know anyone in OK. Should I consider on campus housing? Or should I just look for a place off campus? Is anyone looking for a roommate? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

Congrats on your acceptance! I will also be at the OKC campus and moving from out of state. (Texas--not nearly as far away as you though:D) I don't really know the area but from what I've seen I wouldn't recommend downtown OKC. I've had a couple of recommendations from current students listed above in this thread but I haven't had a chance to look at them yet. Good luck and see ya there.

I will be applying for next fall, but im kinda worried about my numbers.
gpa: 3.3 pcat: 67 so im not really sure if i should finish and get a degree in hopes that it would increase my chances of getting accepted. I also have 2.5 years of pharm tech experience. Basically just wondering if im wasting time or what?

I think a degree is always helpful. But your stats are okay, I have been accepted from out of state with a 3.5 gpa and 67 pcat. I will graduate this may with a bachelors in biology/chemistry and have had 4 years of pharm tech experience. You should be fine just impress at the interview. If pharmacy is what you want to do then you're not wasting your time.

Rxbritt, Did you say you got in at Harding? If so, have you called them to tell them you are not going because of OU?

yes I called and told them that I would not be attending...so somebody got my spot! But they said they were only accepting 3 more people.

When are you considered an intern in Oklahoma? In Texas a student is considered an intern after their P1 year, is it the same for Oklahoma? I am considering transferring with my job there as a technician but just curious when I would be considered an intern. And what is the average pay for an intern?:rolleyes:

RxBritt, I talked to Harding yesterday and they said there was 8 spots available. Anyways, I guess that's for another thread. When was the deadline to turn in the deposit for OU? I'm hoping some out of staters change their minds and go to other schools.

Did this thing die or what? I heard the Admissions Committee is meeting again in Early April. I hope we (Phigment and I) find something out soon! Patience is a virtue...

Well, I am not sure about Harding, however when I spoke to Carol Keel she told me that me giving up my spot would open up 3 positions. However, others could have also given up there spot since then. I hope that those on the wait list hear some good news soon!