University of Oklahoma Fall 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are quite a few differences between OUCOP and SWOSU COP. At OU they only accept once a year because you are on a strict curriculum and everyone in your class participates in most of the classes at the same time. At SWOSU, however you are basically free to make your own schedule. You are not in the same class at the same time as everyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

Well that sucks because I'll be done with my pre-reqs in the fall. I know that SWOSU accepts in spring, fall, and summer, so I wonder why OU doesn't. Maybe SWOSU just accepts everyone in the fall, but you start class in different semesters so the classes will be smaller? This whole application thing is so complicated.

SWOSU is one of the only college's that accept year round.

Good. You had me worried. I feel pretty confident in my communication skills. Having almost four years of a variety of pharmacy experience helps!!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the interview like? Since I'm rather new the the Pharmacy scene I'm still learning. I'm SO excited for this career path, and I shadowed at a compounding pharmacy in Tulsa and absolutely LOVED it (I'm the most interested in compounding, right now), but that's is all of my "experience". What is the interview like? I'm trying to learn more and more, but with school work and such it's hard to do everything, especially when I can't really have a job because of my courses. Will I talk a lot about the pharmacy world, or will they just try to get to know me for who I am as a person, and see how they think I will succeed in my future?
PS You guys are all so helpful and kind!! Thank you for reaching out and for being so willing to help us throughout this process!

I am also interviewing at OUCOP on Feb 23rd in the morning group. I am so nervous! I am trying to take in all the information I can so I will have plenty to offer the panel. What else should I do to prepare? What types of questions do they usually ask?

I am also interviewing at OUCOP on Feb 23rd in the morning group. I am so nervous! I am trying to take in all the information I can so I will have plenty to offer the panel. What else should I do to prepare? What types of questions do they usually ask?

Last time I checked, my interview feedback was the latest on OU. Check it out, I posted what questions that they asked me. It is very conversational, and mine had a flow. They just want to get to know you. I know that you are going to be nervous, and that's okay, they know that. Just try to be yourself.

Boomer Sooner! :)
I have my date set for February 23rd too. I haven't heard anyone get the March 1 date yet.

Stats-
Overall GPA: 4.0
PCAT: 91
Work Experience: Health for Friends Pharmacy volunteer
Outside of pharmacy: Work at Old Navy/Library, VP of OU Habitat for Humanity

I'm excited and of course nervous. But mainly excited! It's nice to see an OU thread up here!

I'll be visiting Tulsa soon to check out the area. Anyone know of good places to see?

Are you just wanting to get a feel for Tulsa as a whole? If so, there are tons of great places. Cherry Street and Utica square are nice, as well as Brookside. I have come to love Tulsa, significantly more than OKC. It's a great city!! Good luck on your interview!

Are you just wanting to get a feel for Tulsa as a whole? If so, there are tons of great places. Cherry Street and Utica square are nice, as well as Brookside. I have come to love Tulsa, significantly more than OKC. It's a great city!! Good luck on your interview!

I'm visiting Tulsa to get a feel for the city as a whole and see if I like it more than OKC. I'll be driving up there tomorrow, actually! Thanks for the suggestions! All I have ever hear are good things about Tulsa, so I'm leaning towards that campus for now.

I'm visiting Tulsa to get a feel for the city as a whole and see if I like it more than OKC. I'll be driving up there tomorrow, actually! Thanks for the suggestions! All I have ever hear are good things about Tulsa, so I'm leaning towards that campus for now.

Has anyone toured and compared actual campuses? just curious........

Boomer Sooner! :)
I have my date set for February 23rd too. I haven't heard anyone get the March 1 date yet.

Stats-
Overall GPA: 4.0
PCAT: 91
Work Experience: Health for Friends Pharmacy volunteer
Outside of pharmacy: Work at Old Navy/Library, VP of OU Habitat for Humanity

I'm excited and of course nervous. But mainly excited! It's nice to see an OU thread up here!

I'll be visiting Tulsa soon to check out the area. Anyone know of good places to see?

damn thats some strong ass stats. how many credits do u have?

I'm going to be interviewing at Oklahoma the morning of Feb. 23. Does anyone know how many people are in each flight (morning and afternoon) or how many interview invitations were sent out this year? This is my first time going through this process and I want to know what to expect as much as possible.

I'm going to be interviewing at Oklahoma the morning of Feb. 23. Does anyone know how many people are in each flight (morning and afternoon) or how many interview invitations were sent out this year? This is my first time going through this process and I want to know what to expect as much as possible.

They divide mornings and afternoons based on the first letter of your last name. Last time I was told, there were ~200 people to interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you (or anyone else) know if anyone has even been invited to the March interview?

do you (or anyone else) know if anyone has even been invited to the March interview?

The March interview is almost full, there are still a few invitations to be sent.

damn thats some strong ass stats. how many credits do u have?

I have 81 right now, and 94 at the end of this semester. I won't have a degree by May though, so not sure if that will affect my chances or not.

Tulsa is a great area that is where I grew up. I have toured both campuses but I definitely want to go to the okc campus because that is where I have been living for the past 8 years and where my future husband is.

I have been accepted to Harding and I am applying to SWOSU as well but that is it. I am trying to keep it kind of local.

I have been accepted to Harding and I am applying to SWOSU as well but that is it. I am trying to keep it kind of local.

If you get accepted to all three, where would you attend?

Congrats on your acceptance!!! When do applicants start hearing from SWOSU?

Congrats on your acceptance!!! When do applicants start hearing from SWOSU?

Last year, I heard from them around March. I scheduled an interview, but received my acceptance letter from OU before my scheduled interview day, so I cancelled.

I would attend OU...BOOMER SOONER!! But the others are a cushion just in case I do not get into OU. Harding is a very nice school but also a very nice price!

Haha! I can't imagine how much Harding costs especially for an out of state student! Yeah OU is the only school I applied to. It's my only choice!!! I am very excited about the interviews on Feb 23rd...but nervous too!

How long does it take after the interview to know if you got accepted or not? And is there a significance on which date people are selected for an interview? That is, are those being interviewed on Feb 23rd given more preference or did the just happen to get chosen for the first date? I was just curious as to why Feb 23rd people seemed to be notified so early.

I dont think the notify anyone of acceptance until April!! Lets hope that feb 23 means we have an advantage :) Either way Im ready for the interview I am getting tired of waiting. I just want to get it over with and find out if I get in or not!!!

How long does it take after the interview to know if you got accepted or not? And is there a significance on which date people are selected for an interview? That is, are those being interviewed on Feb 23rd given more preference or did the just happen to get chosen for the first date? I was just curious as to why Feb 23rd people seemed to be notified so early.

They send the first letters of acceptance around mid-April.

Just so you all know, there have been interviews in the past where odd questions have been asked, such as "Suppose I were blind. Describe this pencil to me."

I have a March 1st interview date!
I have tech experience, Platt College Pharm Tech diploma, National certification, and I'm a senior at RSU.
In addition to the normal Bio courses required for my Bachelors degree I've taken Intro to Pharmacology (nursing course) and a couple other 3000 level courses.
I'm taking Dosage Calculation (nursing course again), immunology, and genetics
I am so thrilled and so nervous!
This is my second time applying
GPA 3.29
PCAT 68
Oh...and I want Tulsa

Did you get an interview the first time you applied as well? If so do you have any input on what to expect from the interview.

I withdrew my application last year because I needed to improve my QA score.
The extra year has been great though. Ive gained a lot of confidence and Im hoping the extra classes will help with the pharm load.
Congrats to everyone who got invites. We are one step closer :)

I think the extra classes will deffinately help! I will have a BS degree in Bio, so I am hoping that it will make the transition to pharm school a little easier. I know several people who have went to OU and failed out so it is kind of alarming to me! Good luck to everyone! See some of you feb 23

Oh by the way where are you taking Immunology?? I am taking it right now as well at the NSUBA campus. Just curious.

I think the extra classes will deffinately help! I will have a BS degree in Bio, so I am hoping that it will make the transition to pharm school a little easier. I know several people who have went to OU and failed out so it is kind of alarming to me! Good luck to everyone! See some of you feb 23

were they all P1 students? Is pharm school really that difficult or maybe those students just did not put in much effort?

were they all P1 students? Is pharm school really that difficult or maybe those students just did not put in much effort?

Yes, they were all p1s. It is very difficult, and most of those didn't change their undergrad ways thinking it would be similar. Partying can suck you up like a vacuum if you're not careful. A few others just didn't care.

The OU site says that interviewees with be informed of their status in March. Ay! I'm starting to get real nervous!

I dont party at all haha! So i don't feel that it will be a problem. I think having the mentality of realizng that pharmacy school will be a challenge is important. It makes me mad that people take up spots who are not really dedicated!! I realize that I will more than likely have to study more but I think I am ready for a change! Im excited that we will find out in march about our status!!!!!!

Where did you hear that you will find out in March? On the pharmacy website, as well as from what I've heard, it'll be mid April.

http://pharmacy.ouhsc.edu/prospective/pharmd/interview.asp

I received an email today saying that they updated the interview site. On the right side it reads, "Interviewees will be informed of their status in March." One pharmacy student told me that they have been really organized this year. She didn't receive an interview invite until one week prior to her interview date last year. Now that would be stressful!

http://pharmacy.ouhsc.edu/prospective/pharmd/interview.asp

I received an email today saying that they updated the interview site. On the right side it reads, "Interviewees will be informed of their status in March." One pharmacy student told me that they have been really organized this year. She didn't receive an interview invite until one week prior to her interview date last year. Now that would be stressful!

The day you receive an interview and the day you receive an acceptance are highly personal. It depends on several things. Last year, I received an interview in early Jan, and my acceptance letter in mid April. They admitted 7 people the week before school started. IT depends on the applicant.

I have been stressing out about getting an interview invite a lot recently, and called today and found out that I did!! Apparently I never received the initial e-mail, but I know now and I am so so excited!! After looking over the interview day schedule, I am wondering what to expect for the essay? Congrats to everyone!

RxBritt Im taking immunology at RSU. I really like it so far.

The day you receive an interview and the day you receive an acceptance are highly personal. It depends on several things. Last year, I received an interview in early Jan, and my acceptance letter in mid April. They admitted 7 people the week before school started. IT depends on the applicant.

Is there also a site on the school's website about possible interview questions or is it just from the interview feedback from SDN? Thanks.

I'd also like to second Lady23's question about possible interview questions, and also, I'll be seeing some of you on the morning of the 23rd!

As far as I know there is nothing on the school's website about interview tips really. I have gotten all of my info from SDN!

Is anyone interviewing in the afternoon on Feb 23rd? That is when I will be interviewing. I haven't met anyone that is in the afternoon session!

I'll be there in the afternoon session! :)

NSU Tahlequah? Oh, and, the cutoff for a composite is 50, but the cutoff for a subscore is 25. You must meet both requirements.

Not always, we have a person who has a 49 on PCAT down here at OKC.

Interviews and good communication skills can put a candidate with a so-so GPA ahead of a candidate with a 4.0, 99 PCAT. Interviews are very important here.

If it wasn't for the interview I probably wouldn't have gotten in last year because my PCAT was hella bad. Luckily I owned the interview.

Not always, we have a person who has a 49 on PCAT down here at OKC.

Yeah, things are alot different this year in the applicant pool. Are you going to interviews?

Yeah, things are alot different this year in the applicant pool. Are you going to interviews?

Does this mean that the majority of applicants have gpa's and PCAT scores that are on the really high side? I am a little worried because mine are really just average.:( I am a re-applicant though and have done everything suggested to me at the re-applicant advisement I went to after I bombed the interview and got my rejection letter.

Does this mean that the majority of applicants have gpa's and PCAT scores that are on the really high side? I am a little worried because mine are really just average.:( I am a re-applicant though and have done everything suggested to me at the re-applicant advisement I went to after I bombed the interview and got my rejection letter.