University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would anyone mind PMing me about the cost to attend OU's medical school? I've been searching their site for a long time and thought I had it for a while, found a pdf that listed $9k tuition. But I think that's Physician Assistants, not MDs.. I wasn't sure if there were other costs or anything, either. Hope to hear from someone soon! Thanks :).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the PM ;). That pdf is the one I saw that I just didn't believe. $9k tuition?! Others sound like they're paying at least 3x that much! Am I missing something, or is OU just that cheap?

I didn't read the pdf, but that nearly has to be per semester, i.e. 1/2 to 1/3 of your cost, depending on the year. I take the full Stafford, and I'd be curious what they are doing with the rest of my money if my tuition is only 9k. I get about 16k back. Or did in years past. I think.

I didn't read the pdf, but that nearly has to be per semester, i.e. 1/2 to 1/3 of your cost, depending on the year. I take the full Stafford, and I'd be curious what they are doing with the rest of my money if my tuition is only 9k. I get about 16k back. Or did in years past. I think.

Yeah, that 9K looks about right per semester. I was actually thinking it was about 10K/semester myself.

How much is the "full Stafford"? Yeah, it's definitely 9k/semester. I'm curious about these loans.. School was free for my first two years, so I haven't dealt with them yet. There's really an interest rate, even on student loans? And almost 7%!? So a 200k loan will accumulate 14k interest per year after school?

How much is the "full Stafford"? Yeah, it's definitely 9k/semester. I'm curious about these loans.. School was free for my first two years, so I haven't dealt with them yet. There's really an interest rate, even on student loans? And almost 7%!? So a 200k loan will accumulate 14k interest per year after school?

I also had no UG loans, thanks to Uncle Sam. You've got some homework to do to get up to speed on loans it would appear. But yes, you will get punched in the face each year with respect to your interest rate. When we started in '06, the Stafford amount was 38.5K. Think it is 41 or something now. But tuition has gone up a bit too.

In short, f*** yeah there is an interest rate on student loans, and there is no one to cuddle with you after they f*** you in the a** with a splintered mop handle year after year. So get good grades, smoke your boards, and go into something superspecialized so that you can afford to pay your loans AND your overhead AND your alimony(ies)...

But hey, Obamacare is gonna fix all this. :thumbup:

I also had no UG loans, thanks to Uncle Sam. You've got some homework to do to get up to speed on loans it would appear. But yes, you will get punched in the face each year with respect to your interest rate. When we started in '06, the Stafford amount was 38.5K. Think it is 41 or something now. But tuition has gone up a bit too.

In short, f*** yeah there is an interest rate on student loans, and there is no one to cuddle with you after they f*** you in the a** with a splintered mop handle year after year. So get good grades, smoke your boards, and go into something superspecialized so that you can afford to pay your loans AND your overhead AND your alimony(ies)...

My first year, the Stafford loans also were still tied to the T-note rate instead of this unfortunate lock at 6.8%. :(

I've got some money at 3. something, I think. I'll find out in November when the payments are due to start. :p

Nearly fell out of the chair laughing at this one Mr. Freeze. Your irreverent sense of humor is wicked funny, if it weren't for the terror it engenders. I'm afraid, very afraid. :D

Nearly fell out of the chair laughing at this one Mr. Freeze. Your irreverent sense of humor is wicked funny, if it weren't for the terror it engenders. I'm afraid, very afraid. :D

Agreed. And I enjoy your title, too, Kelleyfu.

Hey guys, I'm an OOSer with state ties (OSSM grad), and was wondering if OOSers ever interview in the first rounds in Sept/October? or is it much later towards Christmas? I sent my secondary in early August and have an interview score around 12.7. Would love to go to OU, but kind of scared of the acceptance statistics for OOS applicants. :scared: Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm an OOSer with state ties (OSSM grad), and was wondering if OOSers ever interview in the first rounds in Sept/October? or is it much later towards Christmas? I sent my secondary in early August and have an interview score around 12.7. Would love to go to OU, but kind of scared of the acceptance statistics for OOS applicants. :scared: Thanks!

When I applied they didn't start interviews until late November, but they still used the same rolling scheme. I was oos and got an interview on one of the first days. Basically, oos students are expected to have strong ties and generally need higher than average stats compared with instate students. It looks like you're good in both areas. Good luck!

If you can carry on a conversation and don't have easily discernible ulterior motives you'll get in, particularly as an OSSM grad.

What year did you graduate? I got out in 99. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! That's good to hear.

Amxcvbcv, I got out in '01 (Henderson 2nd flr :laugh:), went to OOS college and worked for a few years.

Agreed. And I enjoy your title, too, Kelleyfu.

Vestigial 8-character username that followed me around by default wherever I went. Too incriminating, and slightly obnoxious to boot. But no mas! I am the Count now, yet still very afraid. Especially with TB1 coming up. :D

I am the Count now, yet still very afraid. Especially with TB1 coming up. :D

Just know that unless they have significantly changed the curriculum almost none of what you're feverishly cramming into your brain will show up on the boards...hopefully they have changed the biochem curriculum. It really needs it.

Just know that unless they have significantly changed the curriculum almost none of what you're feverishly cramming into your brain will show up on the boards...hopefully they have changed the biochem curriculum. It really needs it.

True dat.

I'm doing an ORL selective right now and got totally pimped (in a nice way) on neck anatomy, and I did not know a damn thing. Unless you're going into surgery, anatomy details just aren't going to come up much. And if you're going into surgery, you'll have lots of time to review it.

Wonderful. So far, Biochem has consisted of:
  • all about gout
  • memorizing details of pre-initiation complexes of gene transcription
  • a fair amount of hemoglobinopathy analysis
  • thankfully, very interesting medical genetics (thanks Bidi).
Sound familiar?

Wonderful. So far, Biochem has consisted of:
  • all about gout
  • memorizing details of pre-initiation complexes of gene transcription
  • a fair amount of hemoglobinopathy analysis
  • thankfully, very interesting medical genetics (thanks Bidi).
Sound familiar?

Pretty much, but the fact that you've gotten past gout already shows some progress. :) IMO, first semester is the least interesting semester of medical school -- you just have to get through it. It is true that we generally felt like we were least prepared for biochem when it came to Step 1, so that's something to think about in the spring of your second year.

Good luck on the upcoming first test block!

Test block nights are so lonely. :(

It is amazing how third year generally makes me completely forget the existence of sdn. I'm pretty sure I checked this board at least 5 x / day in the first two years. If not more like 10. I only think about coming on here every few weeks now.

This OB/GYN rotation has been wonderful. Peds was just utterly miserable in many, many ways. This has been intense, long hours, amazing, fun, and interesting. Also much easier to study for and understand. I will say that knowing abdominal and pelvic anatomy is pretty necessary for this rotation - I think it is the one area I have been consistently 'pimped' over. Unfortunately, I don't remember any of it. I also think "pimping" has a worse rep (so far) than the impression I had of it before 3rd year. It sounded so malicious before, but really it is just a doc asking you questions to see if what you know and where you need to expand your knowledge. I've found that in general, they seem to ask you questions until you get something wrong (which doesn't take very long for me). Maybe it's worse on surgery, but it hasn't felt malicious at all so far. This has been a great rotation. A little anxious about urology for the next two weeks, but hopefully since it's an elective w/no exam at the end it won't be too bad. Then starts my 6 weeks of relaxation w/2 wks anesthesia & 4 wks fam med. Good times ahead.

Finally starting to get the hang of organized presentations, proper h&p's, and soap notes. Took long enough, but I'm starting to feel relatively confident in my ability to do in a comprehensible matter.

So... how's test block going? I guess you 2nd years should be done now, huh? First years kick off on Monday?

Well TB1 is here for MS1s...We'll see how it goes..I know it only gets worse, but this does seem a little overwhelming right now. I guess I'll get a better grasp on things and only learn to get better with studying efficiency.

Any random advice for Broyles' or Hanas' questions?

Or any other tidbits you wish you all knew before TB1?

It is amazing how third year generally makes me completely forget the existence of sdn. I'm pretty sure I checked this board at least 5 x / day in the first two years. If not more like 10. I only think about coming on here every few weeks now.

This OB/GYN rotation has been wonderful. Peds was just utterly miserable in many, many ways. This has been intense, long hours, amazing, fun, and interesting. Also much easier to study for and understand. I will say that knowing abdominal and pelvic anatomy is pretty necessary for this rotation - I think it is the one area I have been consistently 'pimped' over. Unfortunately, I don't remember any of it. I also think "pimping" has a worse rep (so far) than the impression I had of it before 3rd year. It sounded so malicious before, but really it is just a doc asking you questions to see if what you know and where you need to expand your knowledge. I've found that in general, they seem to ask you questions until you get something wrong (which doesn't take very long for me). Maybe it's worse on surgery, but it hasn't felt malicious at all so far. This has been a great rotation. A little anxious about urology for the next two weeks, but hopefully since it's an elective w/no exam at the end it won't be too bad. Then starts my 6 weeks of relaxation w/2 wks anesthesia & 4 wks fam med. Good times ahead.

Finally starting to get the hang of organized presentations, proper h&p's, and soap notes. Took long enough, but I'm starting to feel relatively confident in my ability to do in a comprehensible matter.

So... how's test block going? I guess you 2nd years should be done now, huh? First years kick off on Monday?

Jwax, 2nd years have IHI in a.m. :eek: so they are still in TB mode. MSI TBI on Monday.

Glad to hear that you've enjoyed obgyn - that is the one of the doosies (sp?) from what I've heard, so your perspective is a nice change. Good luck on your shelf and enjoy your upcoming light duty.

Jwax, are you thinking about doing ob/gyn now? I know it's too early in the year to decide, but is it on the list? Being sad about a rotation being over is sometimes a good indication. :) Peds was probably my least favorite rotation, so I hear you on that one.

Hope IHI went well. Good luck, MS1s next week!

I was wondering the same thing. It seems that you had a pretty good time on this rotation.

It is definitely on my list. It's a pretty strong second fave right now. I started trying to picture myself doing this for a living and the image seemed to fit. I just need a chance to get to see EM from the worker side and I won't get that chance until April. :(

SDN vote: if you get H1N1 as a third year, should you stay home? I know there are two policies that relate to this: 1) you're only sick enough to not cone in if you are sick enough to be admitted 2) the CDC policy that if you have flu-like symptoms, you need to stay home and limit you're exposure. 90% sure I picked up H1N1 due to confirmed sick contact, just not sure how to deal with it. Supposed to start urology in the AM but I'm pretty sick. :(

SDN vote: if you get H1N1 as a third year, should you stay home? I know there are two policies that relate to this: 1) you're only sick enough to not cone in if you are sick enough to be admitted 2) the CDC policy that if you have flu-like symptoms, you need to stay home and limit you're exposure. 90% sure I picked up H1N1 due to confirmed sick contact, just not sure how to deal with it. Supposed to start urology in the AM but I'm pretty sick. :(

I'd stay home, but I'd also go to the health clinic for documentation and maybe some tamiflu if you haven't had it long enough. It's a selective, so it's probably not a big deal anyway. Even though I've heard urology there is a little weird. The first policy is just a lame medical world thing that's actually bad for patients. The second is official policy.

Sorry you got it. I'm wondering if it's on the increase around here.

I'd stay home, but I'd also go to the health clinic for documentation and maybe some tamiflu if you haven't had it long enough. It's a selective, so it's probably not a big deal anyway. Even though I've heard urology there is a little weird. The first policy is just a lame medical world thing that's actually bad for patients. The second is official policy.

Sorry you got it. I'm wondering if it's on the increase around here.

I stayed home. I feel like crap, I can't breathe (yay asthma + H1N1), and it would just be stupid for me to be there. Hopefully they won't fail me for this decision that I think was the right one. Pretty sure we caught this from a faculty member that abided by the first policy.

Woo-hoo, survived the beefiest part of TB1! Kinda got schpanked in Embryo, though. On to studying for HB, for which I just bought the syllabus at Ratcliffs today!

I have some questions about these rotations we MS1s are about to embark on, but don't have time (obviously) to post them now.

I'll be back...

Woo-hoo, survived the beefiest part of TB1! Kinda got schpanked in Embryo, though. On to studying for HB, for which I just bought the syllabus at Ratcliffs today!

I have some questions about these rotations we MS1s are about to embark on, but don't have time (obviously) to post them now.

I'll be back...
Seems like I recall getting my butt kicked just a tad in Embryo. I recovered, but it turned-out that Embryo required more effort than I first thought it would. As I've said before, to this day I detest looking at little cartoon drawings of fetuses - yech!

My advice for MS-1, TB-2: Until you get to head and neck, anatomy really isn't going to change pace or difficulty much - so, if you did well, keep doing what you're doing. Embryo does require some effort - at least, it did for me. HB - another all-nighter for the final <grin>.

Just don't get blindsided by Biochem. They're nice to you guys in Block 1 - Leon's lectures are slow and they kind of ease you into medical school. Even Bidi is merciful. Do not count on this in Block 2. You will do an entire semester of undergraduate biochemistry in six weeks. Do not underestimate Weigel - he gives some of the best lectures you'll hear in first year - makes the material very understandable - but his test questions will knock you on your butt - he teaches well but he has high expectations. I would suggest, even though you're in your lovely post-block week, that you start reading the Block 2 biochem syllabus now and keep up - cause it's at least 200 pages of pretty dense material and Block 2 will be here before you know it.

I'm not planning on getting H1N1, by the way. I have one advantage over you young people: I'm sure I have some H1N1 and H2N2 residual immunity from the 1960s and 1970s. And Hong Kong H3N2 (1968). And whatever else. I had flu several times as a kid - there are tons of 1960s Christmas pictures of me with eyes bright enough to light the room and a 103 degree temp...

I'll be back...

Embryo sucks ass. There's hope though. I got a 79 on TB1 and still managed to make an A.

Buy langman's. Read langman's. Use the chapter summaries which are excellent.

It's more important to show you're hardcore and infect as many patietns as possible than it is to stay home. I wonder how many children I got sick when I had flu, followed by a viral GI that had me so dehydrated I stopped peeing, followed by RSV. All the while coming to the hospital.

I *knock on wood* haven't come to peds sick yet as an intern. But I did on psych.

Embryo sucks ass. There's hope though. I got a 79 on TB1 and still managed to make an A.

Buy langman's. Read langman's. Use the chapter summaries which are excellent.

Got Langmans, will take your advice and use it. Tomasek is great, but Embryo bites. Hoping my 79.5 will magically become an A too.

Now, HB. WTF? Seriously, you want me to memorize statistics from the Am. J. of Psychiatry from 1980!? For a grade in medical school?! No, I'm not bitter. :smuggrin: A low B for 5 hours of studying is fine...but still, those people are at the top of my guano list.

Now, HB. WTF? Seriously, you want me to memorize statistics from the Am. J. of Psychiatry from 1980!? For a grade in medical school?! No, I'm not bitter. :smuggrin: A low B for 5 hours of studying is fine...but still, those people are at the top of my guano list.
Yes, they do. Cooperation = graduation. Just like you will get a grade for holding two retractors for three hours of surgery at a time - and the difference between an "A" and a "B" will depend on not just whether you hold the retractors still, but whether you keep a pleasant look on your face while you're doing it.

Abandon notions of fairness. You wanna be a physician, you're gonna jump over the hoops your attendings decide to make you jump. If it's any consolation, HB second year has less abstract B.S. and it's more interesting.

Yes, they do. Cooperation = graduation. Just like you will get a grade for holding two retractors for three hours of surgery at a time - and the difference between an "A" and a "B" will depend on not just whether you hold the retractors still, but whether you keep a pleasant look on your face while you're doing it.

Abandon notions of fairness. You wanna be a physician, you're gonna jump over the hoops your attendings decide to make you jump. If it's any consolation, HB second year has less abstract B.S. and it's more interesting.

What I love about surgery is that you only have to keep a pleasant look on the top half of your face.

"sigh" what to do about crappy HB grade? I actually studied for it and got owned. I put more time into HB than embryo.

"sigh" what to do about crappy HB grade? I actually studied for it and got owned. I put more time into HB than embryo.

Fwiw, every single person I've talked to about that HB exam has said the same thing.

It won't later. And I love surgery. Some days you're the hammer; some days you're the nail.
Freeze, are you going to do orthopaedics? I still think you're too nice of a guy to be a surgeon. Then again, I've never really seen you pissed-off. :p

That's the plan. Got first interview invite yesterday! :soexcited: Too bad my email server didn't push it to my phone or I didn't see it, so I may not have choice of dates, but who cares?

I know they are out there somewhere, but I haven't run into any of the surgical personalities you might find in, oh say, gen surg folks who specialize in the pancreas, in orthopedics. I can't help but wonder if banging **** with hammer or sawing people up just relieves all the stress that makes people act like 2 year olds. Or maybe dealing with poo all the time just makes you bitter, and you have to stomp around, belittling defenseless staff to inflate your sense of self-worth.

One of the knee replacements I have seen, long story short, the LCL was cut. Typically there is a specific retractor in place to shield it. This was bilateral replacement (not usually the case...), so that retractor was being used on the other side. So LCL gets cut, completely changes the outcome for the pt., ends up needing a different implant, which has a significantly smaller chance of lasting 2/3 as long. Attending tells the resident, who cut it, "Hey stuff happens, don't beat yourself up about it. She'll do fine." like you would talk to your kid after being the last strikeout in a close baseball game. Then while we were waiting for the implant to show up, he breaks out the marking pen and gives a lecture for the 2 3rd years, myself, and the resident, using the drapes as a whiteboard. It was late and I was trying to stay awake, but I still thought it was cool....

Cooperation = graduation.
I remember you saying that to me as a first year :).

It's more important to show you're hardcore and infect as many patietns as possible than it is to stay home.
I am not that hard core. If I'm sick, I generally get completely beaten down to where all I can do is lay in bed / on the couch and stare vacantly, sometimes I can focus on a TV. Being sick blows. I'm healthy again.

I know they are out there somewhere, but I haven't run into any of the surgical personalities you might find in, oh say, gen surg folks who specialize in the pancreas, in orthopedics.
Urologists are a bit finicky. They're pretty jovial and entertaining when things are going smoothly. If things are not going smoothly (i.e. someone isn't doing exactly what they want in the way they want it) they are pretty intense.

Urology has been a fun, interesting, and exhausting rotation. The hours are just terrible, but the residents are a blast. The surgeries are pretty cool, too. Managed to avoid both clinic days by being in long surgeries on the days they had resident clinic. :thumbup: Now to work on a patient presentation for tomorrow. Interesting case of epididymitis/orchitis --> orchiectomy d/t infection refractory to abx. They even let me make the incision on the scrotum, which was pretty awesome.;)

I remember you saying that to me as a first year :).

I am not that hard core. If I'm sick, I generally get completely beaten down to where all I can do is lay in bed / on the couch and stare vacantly, sometimes I can focus on a TV. Being sick blows. I'm healthy again.

Urologists are a bit finicky. They're pretty jovial and entertaining when things are going smoothly. If things are not going smoothly (i.e. someone isn't doing exactly what they want in the way they want it) they are pretty intense.

Urology has been a fun, interesting, and exhausting rotation. The hours are just terrible, but the residents are a blast. The surgeries are pretty cool, too. Managed to avoid both clinic days by being in long surgeries on the days they had resident clinic. :thumbup: Now to work on a patient presentation for tomorrow. Interesting case of epididymitis/orchitis --> orchiectomy d/t infection refractory to abx. They even let me make the incision on the scrotum, which was pretty awesome.;)

Incision, scrotum, and awesome should never be in the same sentence.

One of the knee replacements I have seen, long story short, the LCL was cut. Typically there is a specific retractor in place to shield it.
That story would sound absolutely horrifying to a civilian, but the truth is - as residents we'll be supervised, but some serious mistakes are going to slip through here and there. I'm sure I'll make some serious mistakes in medicine - I just hope I don't kill somebody by accident.

By intense, surely you mean the biggest *******s on the face of the planet. Having not attended my away in urology I can't be sure, but I think that is just here. The Dept. is pretty well known, at least regionally, as being quite malignant. But you're right, the residents are a trip. They pretty much band together, much like a den of baby seals might when the Eskimos gather around to club them.

Non-TradTulsa said:
That story would sound absolutely horrifying to a civilian, but the truth is - as residents we'll be supervised, but some serious mistakes are going to slip through here and there.

On my away, the residents referred to this as "MRB", or Maximal Resident Benefit, and lamented the fact that civilians don't understand this concept. As in, "Dude, I was totally pounding the **** out of the nail. It WOULD NOT budge. So I got the BIGGER BFH. SNAP!!, cortex COMPLETELY blows the **** out!! But hey, MRB right!?!?!" One of them was relating a story where they essentially said something similar to this in a non-medical social setting with their spouse and said it was like crickets, except for his laughter. Everything is a learning opportunity, often presenting when **** goes really ****ing wrong....and it sucks to say but a lot of patients getting MRB-based care are getting what they pay for.

Jwax, speaking of civilians... I would not recommend attending a party and talking about how much you enjoyed having the opportunity to open a guy's scrotum with a scalpel. Most of the women in the room might agree with you, but they'll be too afraid to say so. :p