University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats, man! Thats got to be a good feeling. How much of a break do you get before your intern year gets rolling?

Well, I had 5 weeks of "vacation" before this weekend, and I've got a week and a half more before we move to Pittsburgh. Then it's orientation on June 16th, 25th, and 26th, and my first actual day is the 28th.

Members don't see this ad.

For me, it's about 3 weeks off (don't have to worry about moving, of course), then orientation starts I think the 24th or 25th. First actual work day is July 1. Looking forward to getting started.

I'll try and stick around some to give insights/advice when I can. Good luck to everybody that's still on their way, and congrats to the rest of the class of 2009!

Antigunner, M.D.

Members don't see this ad :)
T And getting back to questions, don't neglect those! Doing questions is studying, so dedicate a few hours to it every day.

do questions everyday, preferably over everything, not just what you studied that day. don't wait until you feel like you have read enough to do well on the questions. single most important part of step 1 studying, imho.

do questions everyday, preferably over everything, not just what you studied that day. don't wait until you feel like you have read enough to do well on the questions. single most important part of step 1 studying, imho.

I'm considering spending the next 10 days doing nothing but qbank in lieu of reading anything. I pretty much feel like there isn't enough time to read all the stuff I need to, and the qbank is pretty detailed. Probably a dumb idea, along with every idea I've had about how to study for anything in med school, but whatev.

CONGRATULATIONS new doctors!!! :luck: Good luck with the whole residency thing. Keep in mind that while it may be just as miserable as med school, at least you're getting paid to be there. :)

I can't believe that in 10.5 days I will be able to consider myself a third year. I honestly thought this day would never come and it makes graduating seem like it might actually happen someday.
<---- soooooo ready for June 12.

Signing my name with MD after it wasn't as daunting as I thought it would be.

Congrats to everyone in 2009 as well! :D

That's because you've been practicing doing it for at least 4 years. Don't lie. ;):D

And it isn't below some questionable order!

I'll add my congrats to the graduates!

I am also in need of advice... suggestions for family medicine clerkship preceptors. Any advice?

My choices: Biggers, Bondurant, Corman, Davenport, Goddard, Limbaugh, Malling, Roy, Webb, Williams, Wright, and the FMC of course.

I am also in need of advice... suggestions for family medicine clerkship preceptors. Any advice?

My choices: Biggers, Bondurant, Corman, Davenport, Goddard, Limbaugh, Malling, Roy, Webb, Williams, Wright, and the FMC of course.

I enjoyed my time in Newcastle with Dr. Pope. I got 1.5 days off per week, and he's great to work with while you're there.

Depends on what you'd like to get out of the rotation and where you live. I can't speak for many of them, but I know you won't get days off and you'll prolly see more pts in the traditional "go see them, fumble through a perfect interview just like you learned in PCM, then present to an attending, until you have sufficiently slowed the clinic down enough that even the people who aren't paying for their own healthcare are pissed" format if you got to the FMC, whereas out in the community it may differ, especially with regard to days off. I was with Williams in MWC, and I couldn't have been in a better place in my estimation. 5 mins from my house by bike, younger doc, 4.5 days a week max, and he'd pretty much ask "so whaddya wanna do?" and doesn't let you see folks that are a. crazy or b. will talk your ear off and slow the clinic down.

i'll add my congrats to the graduates!

I am also in need of advice... Suggestions for family medicine clerkship preceptors. Any advice?

My choices: Biggers, bondurant, corman, davenport, goddard, limbaugh, malling, roy, webb, williams, wright, and the fmc of course.

bondurant bondurant bondurant

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, we're supposed to mark down 5 choices for this, and I want to be sure I have 5 choices because the FMC just doesn't seem appealing to me. Can anyone tell us if there are any attendings NOT to choose? For instance, ill-tempered, stingy with A's, or generally create an unpleasant student environment. I have top 2 choices now...just want to flesh out the rest of the list.

Well, we're supposed to mark down 5 choices for this, and I want to be sure I have 5 choices because the FMC just doesn't seem appealing to me. Can anyone tell us if there are any attendings NOT to choose? For instance, ill-tempered, stingy with A's, or generally create an unpleasant student environment. I have top 2 choices now...just want to flesh out the rest of the list.

I don't have any specific advice, but you might peruse the list of student reviews over at the FMC, if you've got time to swing by.

I don't want to believe she'd be so sneaky as to censor negative preceptor reviews.

I looked all of my possibilities up online and snooped them out. Not enough time / too lazy to go up to campus to read student reviews so I just guessed based on what they seemed like (i.e. how many years out of practice, male vs. female, location). I've had so few female mentors that I'm pretty sure I put the female MD as my #1 choice. I also tried to go with a few younger guys because I think docs only ~6 years out of school are a little more in touch with how we feel, what we should or shouldn't know, etc. A 25 yr veteran is going to be a little out of touch, although probably has more experience teaching the new generations.

In other news, I increased my score by 16 points on my last Uworld self-assessment exam. Apparently my studying from qbank has turned out well. I had a lot of lucky guesses on biochem stuff that helped out. My last practice exam is another NBME, currently scheduled for June 6. I haven't decided which form to use; probably form 3 since I did form 4 already and heard nothing good about 1 and heard nothing at all about 2. Any suggestions?

In other news, I increased my score by 16 points on my last Uworld self-assessment exam. Apparently my studying from qbank has turned out well. I had a lot of lucky guesses on biochem stuff that helped out. My last practice exam is another NBME, currently scheduled for June 6. I haven't decided which form to use; probably form 3 since I did form 4 already and heard nothing good about 1 and heard nothing at all about 2. Any suggestions?

Grats, Jwax. 16 points is a hefty score lift!

What did you hear bad about NBME 1? Too easy, too hard, outdated?

I was speaking to my mod mates about the audio questions. Supposedly, the USMLE doesn't count questions until they have appeared for 3 years. I remember that the MCAT had experimental sections. Anyone now if there is any validity to that for Step 1 or is it more in the realm of urban legend. This same source indicated that 15-20% of the exam questions are usually not counted.

Anyway, from a friend who took it this week, the audio questions were usually given away in the question. But you can also apparently select to listen to different spots on the patient's chest. Seems kind of a like a time sink.

Grats, Jwax. 16 points is a hefty score lift!

What did you hear bad about NBME 1? Too easy, too hard, outdated?

I was speaking to my mod mates about the audio questions. Supposedly, the USMLE doesn't count questions until they have appeared for 3 years. I remember that the MCAT had experimental sections. Anyone now if there is any validity to that for Step 1 or is it more in the realm of urban legend. This same source indicated that 15-20% of the exam questions are usually not counted.

Anyway, from a friend who took it this week, the audio questions were usually given away in the question. But you can also apparently select to listen to different spots on the patient's chest. Seems kind of a like a time sink.
I heard the nbme 1 had way too many nit-picky detail questions. Since I generally suck at that and don't find it valuable learning, I'm not interested in taking that one. One person mentioned that there were at least 27 pharm side effect questions. I was pretty excited by the score boost. I was barely even hoping for another 6 point increase since it had only been 3 days since my last practice test. I'm actually starting to feel like I even know some pharm now :).

Sounds like the audio questions are the mark and save til the end kind of questions. I've been finishing each block with about 10 minutes to spare (it used to be 20, but I guess I know more now and have to reason more questions out), so time isn't not my biggest concern. Other than keeping track of how much break time you've got. I haven't really grasped that yet.

I did form 3 only, about 2-3 weeks out, and it underestimated me by about 18 points IIRC. Maybe not that many, but I know it was more than 10. Whether I improved that much in that time or it really was off that amount I'll never know. Or care. I didn't really like the not getting feedback on the NBME's so that was the only one I took.

I'd be REAL surprised if my MCAT was any indicator of my step 1.

I did form 3 only, about 2-3 weeks out, and it underestimated me by about 18 points IIRC. Maybe not that many, but I know it was more than 10. Whether I improved that much in that time or it really was off that amount I'll never know. Or care. I didn't really like the not getting feedback on the NBME's so that was the only one I took.

I'd be REAL surprised if my MCAT was any indicator of my step 1.

I think that I'm going to skip the last practice test. I don't really see much value in spending another $45 to either boost my esteem or crush my ego. Besides, I paid for the usmle world qbank and I'm not sure I'm going to manage to finish all those questions even though that's what I'm focusing on for the next few days, especially since I'm starting to create tests that have only questions I've missed before to make sure I learned what I was supposed to.

I ended up at Dr. McLeod's office for the month and had a great experience. PM me for more info if desired.

btw, I reallly havent heard anything bad about any of the community preceptors so you cant really go wrong.

I think that I'm going to skip the last practice test. I don't really see much value in spending another $45 to either boost my esteem or crush my ego. Besides, I paid for the usmle world qbank and I'm not sure I'm going to manage to finish all those questions even though that's what I'm focusing on for the next few days, especially since I'm starting to create tests that have only questions I've missed before to make sure I learned what I was supposed to.

I think I mentioned this when you guys were beginning your studies, but going through the ones I missed I think was key to my doing well. I went through eerything once, then sets of nothing but q's I had missed already.

I think I mentioned this when you guys were beginning your studies, but going through the ones I missed I think was key to my doing well. I went through eerything once, then sets of nothing but q's I had missed already.

If nothing else, going over incorrect q's boosts my confidence. I've been averaging at least >70% on these sets and the last few have been in the 80's (one 95% for an all path incorrect q quiz). I haven't gotten through all of qbank, but I've gotten through ~80% of the path, pharm, pathophys, micro. Almost all of anatomy, embryo, behavioral, biostats, and genetics for that matter. That seems like it ought to be enough.

<28 hours until game time. :barf:

Good luck tomorrow, Jwax! I'd recommend taking it easy today and hitting it fresh tomorrow.

I think she is already taking it right now. :oops:

We don't need your fancy engineering math here. :confused:

LOL yes I was taking it right then. Thanks for the well wishes, Sooner Geek. Typing an "x" never felt so good. :D Not sure if I even did well enough to pass, but my husband is convinced that I did great. So hopefully he's right.

Jwax, I hope you get the scores you are hoping for!

Okay, so I'm wanting to start purchasing some Step 1 materials this summer so that I don't have to buy them all at once. I started off with First Aid, of course, but looking over their review resources section, I thought I'd get you guy's opinions on what worked/works best for you. Anyone care to share? Thank you m'dears.

Anything to get me away from more studying!

I really like Goljan's Rapid Review for when I was actually going through IHI. Sadly, I didn't really start using it until second semester.

Baby Robbins is nice as well but doesn't contain pictures. If you don't like the brevity of Goljan's outline format, you will probably like Robbins as it is mostly in paragraphs.

The Robbins Question Book is also good for the class... if you get through the material in enough time to actually do the questions.

I actually really like the BRS flashcards for Pharmand Path. They don't help much for the class, but they are great to torment your significant other with during log drives throughout the year.

I've been using Roadmap for Pharmacology, but I didn't pick it up until I began studying for finals, which I do not regret. Again, not a great study aid for the class, but a pretty quick read and good to polish up on things you are foggy on (chemo drugs :scared:). I will be reading through the book entirely over the next week in preparation for my test.

If you are planning on studying for boards this summer, I would say... don't bother. There is a ridiculous amount of information that you will be expected to assimilate over the next year, and you will probably forget everything that you read now. Also, a lot of the First Aid references may not make any sense to you if you haven't seen the material in a class setting. For instance, Meconium ileus probably wouldn't make a lot of sense to anyone who hadn't heard about it in biochem. What I am saying is, if I had studied last summer (like I planned and failed to do) I would not have been able to make correlations and therefore wasted fun time.

You are armed with first aid. You're good for now. I'd just wait for the second years to start selling off their board review crap.

I'm not really wanting to start studying for boards just yet, but I didn't do as well during first year as I had hoped or expected. I kinda went a little loopy there for a bit and couldn't get caught back up. So I want to go over MS1 stuff and learn the things I missed the first go 'round so that I'm not flippin' out over it when I DO start studying for boards. I also really wanted to know what study aids are good for MS2 material that tends to show up so that I can get them and use them in conjuction with my other materials so that I'm familiar with them from class rather then getting them afresh when it's time to start cracking down.

Thanks for the input, though! And good luck with the upcoming exam.

Question: I you think I need to rent a pager for next year? I have a Blackberry, which receives all of my email/texts/facebookjunk/etc, and I'm not sure how efficient it will be to additionally receiving pages (text messages, I assume?) on my phone.

I feel like if I had a pager, I would at least know if it beeped that it was something important, which is not usually the case if my phone buzzes/rings. Thoughts?

Question: I you think I need to rent a pager for next year? I have a Blackberry, which receives all of my email/texts/facebookjunk/etc, and I'm not sure how efficient it will be to additionally receiving pages (text messages, I assume?) on my phone.

I feel like if I had a pager, I would at least know if it beeped that it was something important, which is not usually the case if my phone buzzes/rings. Thoughts?

That's weird. They give us free pagers in Tulsa, but I guess we get other free stuff, too. You really do need a pager because cell phones don't always have the best service in hospitals. You pretty much always have service on your pager.

As for important or not, we get a lot of pretty unimportant pages about scheduling regularly.

That's weird. They give us free pagers in Tulsa, but I guess we get other free stuff, too. You really do need a pager because cell phones don't always have the best service in hospitals. You pretty much always have service on your pager.

As for important or not, we get a lot of pretty unimportant pages about scheduling regularly.
Yeah, I was a little worried about the reception part, too.

Our paperwork says "You must either (a) have a cell telephone with a LOCAL number or (b) rent a pager with a LOCAL number." I guess I have until July 1 to decide.

Hello Sooners
I am new to the SDN site, but I was told there is a wealth of information that could be discovered if I would just read the posts. I have not found anything as yet that fits my question. I am not a student , but I am a member of a support group for a student at OUHSC ( I’m a parent) My question is this, If a student is enrolled and receiving financial aid and should get married in say their second year. How much does the added income ($55,000.00) affect the amount of financial aid received?

Also after reading the posts on this site and the amount of stress each of you have to go through, I have a new respect for Doctors. I appreciate and applaud your dedication.

Last edited:
Hello Sooners
I am new to the SDN site, but I was told there is a wealth of information that could be discovered if I would just read the posts. I have not found anything as yet that fits my question. I am not a student , but I am a member of a support group for a student at OUHSC ( I’m a parent) My question is this, If a student is enrolled and receiving financial aid and should get married in say their second year. How much does the added income ($55,000.00) affect the amount of financial aid received?

Also after reading the posts on this site and the amount of stress each of you have to go through, I have a new respect for Doctors. I appreciate and applaud your dedication.

I never received a reduction in loan availability (Just the Staffords, I didn't venture into private loan land), and my wife worked for the first three years of school. We had an income of around $33,000 gross, and I also had some significant savings that I also listed on my FAFSA. I can't recall what my Expected Financial Contribution (EFC) was, but the bottom line was I got the loans I wanted and needed without any hassle.

I seriously doubt your student will have any trouble getting loans.

Thank you for your quick response. I just wasn't sure and needed an answer from someone whos been there. Thanks again

Thank you for your quick response. I just wasn't sure and needed an answer from someone whos been there. Thanks again

We had a very large combined income before I went back to school which didn't decrease the total loan amount allowed, we just didn't get any subsidized loans for that first year only unsubsidized (all Staffords). Then this past year and this coming year without my income added in (and my wife makes six digits) we were still eligible for the maximum subsidized, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

Our paperwork says "You must either (a) have a cell telephone with a LOCAL number or (b) rent a pager with a LOCAL number." I guess I have until July 1 to decide.

Hmm, well I guess if they give you the local phone as an option, you could take your chances and go with that. It'd save you money, but you would risk missing some stuff. I don't know how big of a deal that would be on OKC rotations, though.

I know it's too late for you rising 3rd years, but maybe ending the year with surgery wasn't the best idea. But I guess 1/6 of the class has to do it. It hasn't been horrible, but my motivation has been pretty low. The upside is that my stress level has also been pretty low because I don't care so much.

I don't have a local number, so I'm going to have to do something. Anyone know if there is a preferred pager company to go with? Can we get on a plan that the residents use? Maybe this is a question for Mr. Albertson.

I don't have a local number, so I'm going to have to do something. Anyone know if there is a preferred pager company to go with? Can we get on a plan that the residents use? Maybe this is a question for Mr. Albertson.

After talking with Mr. Albertson, I decided to go with a Tracfone. We'll see how that works out for now. It's cheap and has no commitment required.

This thread has been too quiet.

How are people doing? I'm absolutely swamped with work... what with having to be here 9ish, sitting at a desk all day looking at slides/reading, and then being home by 4ish.

Pathology rotation during a nice transitional internship for the win!

This thread has been too quiet.

How are people doing? I'm absolutely swamped with work... what with having to be here 9ish, sitting at a desk all day looking at slides/reading, and then being home by 4ish.

Pathology rotation during a nice transitional internship for the win!

Yay for bumping the thread. Glad you're having an easy transition into internship. How do you like Pittsburgh?

I'm sitting here trying to figure out when I should take CK this fall. And thinking about getting LORs and all that good stuff.

And now that we've ended 3rd year, what are all the upcoming MS4s going into? Psych for me, which is kind of a duh. GLP, still rads? And Freeze, ortho or EM? Anybody else?

How do you like Pittsburgh?

It's been awesome. People here have been complaining about the heat, but it got up to, maybe, 83 last week? Ouch...

During the last week of we went kayaking twice, tried out lots of restaurants, and basically tried to make sure we know how to get around.

It's been great!

It's been awesome. People here have been complaining about the heat, but it got up to, maybe, 83 last week? Ouch...

During the last week of we went kayaking twice, tried out lots of restaurants, and basically tried to make sure we know how to get around.

It's been great!

I'm jealous. It's so disgusting in OK right now. I guess the winters will be bad, but I'd trade that for the heat.

Yeah, prolly ortho. Which I decided about 2 weeks ago. You know, AFTER we set our schedules, applied for aways, etc. Just wasn't feeling my plan A. The picking the whole career thing is f'in hard. I bought Iserson's residency book in hopes of some epiphany, but as far as it goes is essentially med vs. surg. WTF. I could have told you that before I even came to med school. I shoulda bought beer with that 45 dollars.....

And I dunno if I'm the only one that gets them, but I am tired of OU physicians in the news emails. I don't ****ing care.

I wouldn't mind an 83 degree summer day.

Yeah, prolly ortho. Which I decided about 2 weeks ago. You know, AFTER we set our schedules, applied for aways, etc. Just wasn't feeling my plan A. The picking the whole career thing is f'in hard. I bought Iserson's residency book in hopes of some epiphany, but as far as it goes is essentially med vs. surg. WTF. I could have told you that before I even came to med school. I shoulda bought beer with that 45 dollars.....

And I dunno if I'm the only one that gets them, but I am tired of OU physicians in the news emails. I don't ****ing care.

I wouldn't mind an 83 degree summer day.

Cool -- good luck getting all the scheduling stuff worked out. I guess I'm glad I didn't waste money on that book since I knew where I stood on the whole surgery/med thing before even starting school.

I glad to say I don't get those emails.

I'm just glad that they quit messing with my schedule. I got an e-mail on Thursday saying that, due to the extra burden of P.A. students plus some unexpected transfers from the OKC campus, I was being "bumped" from my September Sub-I in medicine - but they'd be happy to work me in during March or April. Which does me lots of good for residency interviews. And nice of them to tell me after it's far too late for away rotation applications.

I fired back an e-mail that my Sub-I was the single most important rotation that I have this year and that Spring was unacceptable. I also told them that I'd be coming in Monday morning to discuss my schedule changes in person rather than by e-mail.

It worked. Sometimes having a reputation as being a squeaky-wheel biatch pays off. When I got there this morning (all dressed up and loaded for bear), they'd decided that maybe they'd shift some MS-III and P.A. schedules around so that my schedule could stay the same. Good plan.

I am going to suggest that our sleepy Tulsa student government take a look at this issue, however. I didn't mind having a few P.A. students on a couple of rotations last year, but I guess they're going to be integrated throughout our curriculum this year. One has to ask - why are we paying $20K per year in tuition for the P.A. students to have access to the same training for, what, a third of that? I think there needs to be a clear understanding of who has priority for resources, at a minimum.

I'm just glad that they quit messing with my schedule. I got an e-mail on Thursday saying that, due to the extra burden of P.A. students plus some unexpected transfers from the OKC campus, I was being "bumped" from my September Sub-I in medicine - but they'd be happy to work me in during March or April. Which does me lots of good for residency interviews. And nice of them to tell me after it's far too late for away rotation applications.

I fired back an e-mail that my Sub-I was the single most important rotation that I have this year and that Spring was unacceptable. I also told them that I'd be coming in Monday morning to discuss my schedule changes in person rather than by e-mail.

It worked. Sometimes having a reputation as being a squeaky-wheel biatch pays off. When I got there this morning (all dressed up and loaded for bear), they'd decided that maybe they'd shift some MS-III and P.A. schedules around so that my schedule could stay the same. Good plan.

I am going to suggest that our sleepy Tulsa student government take a look at this issue, however. I didn't mind having a few P.A. students on a couple of rotations last year, but I guess they're going to be integrated throughout our curriculum this year. One has to ask - why are we paying $20K per year in tuition for the P.A. students to have access to the same training for, what, a third of that? I think there needs to be a clear understanding of who has priority for resources, at a minimum.

MS-IVs should have top priority on scheduling, period. It should be like a 5th-year senior, disabled, honor student in undergrad. :D

That is kind of crappy you had to do that.

MS-IVs should have top priority on scheduling, period. It should be like a 5th-year senior, disabled, honor student in undergrad. :D

That is kind of crappy you had to do that.
One problem on the Tulsa campus is that mid-level, non-medical administrative people have way too much power with too little supervision (in my opinion, of course). I don't think they realized how critical this was to me and what the repercussions would be. Cr*p like this happens way too often.