University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Uh...what did I say about jinxing it?

My SO jinxed it first. We were talking about how close OU was to getting to where they need to be, and he said they would choke. So, blame him.

Members don't see this ad.

My theory is it was karma for all the sooner fans laughing when Oregon lost to Arizona after Dixon got hurt.

I had to quit watching after the third quarter. If we knock off OSU and get beat in the Big 12 game, do we still get to go to the Fiesta Bowl? If OU's not going to the NC game, I'd really like to see Mark "get in ma' belly!" Mangino's Jayhawks knock off LSU.

Since I know Bagel is highly interested...

With 2 losses to unranked opponents and Ohio State's one-loss season already over, Arizona State, West Virginia, and LSU would all have to lose again for OU to have a shot at the BCS national title game (New Orleans). Even if that happened, OU has already been lower in the BCS than the polls because of the computers. Though nobody has really talked about it, it might be possible for them to sneak up the AP poll (which no longer has anything to do with the BCS) and snag a so-called "share" of the title.

An OU win over OSU or a Texas loss (at A&M) puts them in the Big XII championship game where they would play the winner of next week's KU-Missouri game. The Big XII championship game winner is guaranteed a BCS bowl (Orange, Fiesta, Rose, or Sugar), so yes, it is still possible for OU to go to the Fiesta Bowl.

The east coast conference re-arrangements have put more conference title games into the mix, so there is still a lot of football to be played.

Since Kansas and Missouri aren't storied programs, the loser of next week's game is likely going to be kicked way down the rankings whereas OU will probably only slide a few places this week. The more you can afford to pay your coach, the more forgiveness you get from voters. :thumbdown: This of course re-emphasizes the need for a playoff system and explains why I don't watch colllege football.

With two losses, OU isn't going to be back into the mix for the national championship at this stage. Also, I don't want OU to go to the Fiesta Bowl via winning the conference championship. ;) With that in mind, if OU manages a win next week over OSU I'd prefer OU lose to Missouri/Kansas in the title game, so they can go to the national championship and represent the Big 12.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh CRY ME A RIVER, sooner fb=choking, HAHA. :laugh: I'm trying to decide whether to raise my son as a Cowboy, just cuz I don't want him to grow up getting his heart broken all the time...

I think the worst thing that happened this year to the sooner nation is the false hope of success. Bradford seems/ed like superman, but OU is young.

But GAWD I HATE tech...Harrell is a freaking crybaby

Hey, growing up in Stillwater did me some good. Lots of important life lessons there, and you can get used to disappointment, which hey, is something we all need.

I know we're probably supposed to be more "flexible" as second-year students, but I just want to do a little reality check since I picked-up my mail when we were on-campus for IHI. We are supposed to:

a) Study old Block I material from IHI, instead of spending our available time getting ready for the next test.... AND
b) We are supposed to study pharmacology material that hasn't been presented in class yet...

and be prepared to take a quiz on the above. Is this (pardon me) BS correct?

I know we're probably supposed to be more "flexible" as second-year students, but I just want to do a little reality check since I picked-up my mail when we were on-campus for IHI. We are supposed to:

a) Study old Block I material from IHI, instead of spending our available time getting ready for the next test.... AND
b) We are supposed to study pharmacology material that hasn't been presented in class yet...

and be prepared to take a quiz on the above. Is this (pardon me) BS correct?

Oh yeah. :rolleyes: Good thing IMPS is pass/fail.

Actually, our IMPS is tomorrow. Guess how much I'm studying for it? :rolleyes:

When they rearrange classes, they don't make the necessary adjustments to IMPS. I think 2011 ran into this issue a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, we're running into this tomorrow. Hooray. :thumbdown:

I like that we're going to be tested over material we have already been tested on for this IMPS. Less stuff for me to realize that I don't know.

I am actually looking over the biochem stuff though.

I am pretty much choosing to ignore IMPS. It doesn't not coincide with my opinion of what we should be tested over, so I refuse to relearn it for "the man." I wonder what would happen if I failed IMPS? That would be a sucky reason to repeat MSI. Maybe I'll look over last year's notegroups.

***Editting to add that there are no such notegroups in the MSI archives. Cruel. I guess I can manage to read those 8 pages from biochem. I guess...

Thankfully, the only biochem we need to know is from one of the two lectures I've watched. I did notegroups for this section. So! :thumbup: for that stroke of luck.

I'm sitting in the WLH right now and there is no one else here. It is a little disconcerting.

In totally unrelated news -- well related to a previous hippo/here conversation. What a freaking lying conman!! Does anybody actually buy this nonsense?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=071118_1_A1_hAcco43533

Onto other outrageous and appalling topics, I don't think anybody has ever failed IMPS. The group quiz is worth something like 70%, while your individual quiz is only 30%, and you can get partial credit on the group quiz. I applaud you guys for not studying.

In totally unrelated news -- well related to a previous hippo/here conversation. What a freaking lying conman!! Does anybody actually buy this nonsense?

Onto other outrageous and appalling topics, I don't think anybody has ever failed IMPS. The group quiz is worth something like 70%, while your individual quiz is only 30%, and you can get partial credit on the group quiz. I applaud you guys for not studying.

Actually according to Dr. Hall it has happened once-- but the student didn't show up to the majority of the IMPS!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic here or not.

I basically missed most of the questions on the individual thing that I didn't study for, but we got 9.5/10 as a group, so that's really all that matters since it's just pass/fail.

Anyone want to explain to me how hypocalcemia is a result of a thyroidectomy initially presents as tingling and numbness in the face? Cuz that is the one that made no sense. I did much better on this IMPS than the last one even though I actually studied for the last one and this one I just read over the biochem pages before class (which was very wise b/c most questions were from biochem). I guess some of the stuff from last TB stayed in my head a little? Nice.

Yay for Thanksgiving break! Unfortunately, I am so behind in biochem right now that I am going to feel that weighing on me the whole break unless I get something done for it. I am only behind 2 lectures in embryo now, so that's nice! :thumbup: Happy Thanksgiving everyone; may it remind you of the good things in your lives that you've been too busy with school to notice.

Soonereng - :luck: with Nate's surgery. I wish your family the best. I'll be thinking of you on Tday, so you better post when he's out of surgery.

If Oral can see a 600 foot tall Jesus, Richard can phrophesy his way into a dignified exit from the Presidency. The "no-confidence" vote from the faculty was pretty surprising to me as a Tulsan - not that anybody loved him, I'm just surprised they had the chutzpah to say something publicly. Really, as a life-long Tulsan, I don't really care what happens on campus - people who want to go to school there (and probably some friends of ours did - in fact, I know they did) will go there - I just want them to get their finances straightened-out enough to maintain the campus properly. I've never been a fan of the 1960s post-modern stuff - but it used to be at least interesting. Now, when you look at the crumbling concrete and poor maintenance, it's appalling. Tulsa, whether I like it or not, is strongly associated with ORU to out-of-staters and we deserve better.

Maybe Richard can follow the family trend and move to Southern California. It amuses me that we Oklahomans don't honor the people who stayed around. Oral Roberts is of course part of Tulsa - yet he's lived in Newport Beach for years. And our most famous Oklahoman, Will Rogers, spent the majority of his working life in Santa Monica (much as I love Tulsa, if I had the cash to buy a beachfront ranch in Santa Monica, I would be outta here yesterday!).

And I'll post something I've never posted. From my Cherokee part of the family, Will Rogers is something like a second cousin twice removed or some darn thing to me. I remember my Dad showing me the family tree - he told me that nobody in Oklahoma would ever believe me that Will Rogers was somebody I could count as a sorta-relative. And that nobody from outside of Oklahoma would ever care. He got that one right.

Thank heaven you can pass IMPS by showing up. I'm just not getting into this stuff tonight.

I will be concentrating on food (my dear SO is coming over for dinner) and Black Friday shopping (let the games begin). :D

soonereng, I hope that Nate's surgery goes well. I will be thinking of you all.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic here or not.

I basically missed most of the questions on the individual thing that I didn't study for, but we got 9.5/10 as a group, so that's really all that matters since it's just pass/fail.

Oh, no sarcasm. I haven't studied for my IMPS today either.

So Nate's surgery is tomorrow? I'll be thinking of you guys.

Soonereng - :luck: with Nate's surgery. I wish your family the best. I'll be thinking of you on Tday, so you better post when he's out of surgery.

soonereng, I hope that Nate's surgery goes well. I will be thinking of you all.

So Nate's surgery is tomorrow? I'll be thinking of you guys.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Nate's surgery is tomorrow at 7:45 AM (first in line so we have to be there at 6:00 AM). I'm not sure how long it should take, but we will get to stay in the lovely Children's overnight regardless.

Jwax, I may not be able to post after he is out of surgery as I doubt that Children's has wireless internet like the private hospitals we have been in recently, but maybe they do. I guess I could go across the street to the BSEB if I really felt like it.

I just have a quick question I was hoping someone could help me with. I need to send passport photos for the interview to arrive at the office, is what admissions said. Can I just use the address that I sent my supplementals? Where should I send to be sure it gets to Dotty?

I just have a quick question I was hoping someone could help me with. I need to send passport photos for the interview to arrive at the office, is what admissions said. Can I just use the address that I sent my supplementals? Where should I send to be sure it gets to Dotty?

In previous years it was okay to just bring them with you on interview day, if you want to save yourself the hassle. Otherwise, just use the address for the supplemental stuff. Good luck! :)

Thanks for all the well wishes. Nate's surgery is tomorrow at 7:45 AM (first in line so we have to be there at 6:00 AM). I'm not sure how long it should take, but we will get to stay in the lovely Children's overnight regardless.

I got to see several hernia repairs in little kids, and it's one of the quicker procedures. Dr. Letton talked about some surgery center in Missouri that has a surgeon that does so many he can can go from incision to closure in ~5 minutes. For little kids, they usually just do what's called a high ligation, so it is much faster than adults. I'd say from pre-op to post-op would be around 30-45 minutes, depending on how smoothly the anesthesia stuff goes. Also, he should probably be able to go home tomorrow, I would think. :p

I think I just sent them to the same address. If you're still concerned, you could always email Dotty and ask her. She's pretty response to students. I imagine it is probably just [email protected] but you may want to check on the website to be sure.

Ditto.

In other news, Nate's surgery went well. We actually got to go home last night at 8 since he had tolerated the anesthesia so well. Thanks again to everyone who had been thinking of us.

Double ditto. I'm cooking the thanksgiving meal for my husband-to-be and step-son-to-be. We've got a turkey & gravy, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, rolls, and a pumpkin pie. I think the 3 of us won't starve.

I'm glad Nate's okay and that you got to go home!

We went to Arkansas where one of dh's aunts actually fixed a tofurkey, vegetarian stuffing and mock beef wellingtons. She's veg, too. We also had some of the worst mashed potatoes ever -- apparently dh's grandmother can't see so well, which has had a negative impact on her cooking. I will say I made a phenomenal pecan pie, which nobody ate but my sil. More for me. :smuggrin:

So I guess I should study tomorrow. :eek:

Oh, BTW for anybody new to the OKC area, this is about the time of the year when 104.1 or 98.9 starts playing all Christmas till Christmas. And by "all" Christmas, they mean all 6 songs. :rolleyes:

I turned on 104.1 today, and it has indeed started. Fortunately, I really enjoy a bunch of Christmas music, but I'm not sure what horrible thing I'm going to do to my radio the next time I hear Elvis singing "Blue Christmas." I'm more of a Vince Guaraldi Trio / Charlie Brown Christmas music guy.

I'm such a grinch and pretty much hate Christmas music these days. I'll be sure to avoid those two stations.

And I'm definitely hoping we don't get a repeat of last year's weather. :thumbdown:

I'm such a grinch and pretty much hate Christmas music these days. I'll be sure to avoid those two stations.

And I'm definitely hoping we don't get a repeat of last year's weather. :thumbdown:

I :love: Christmas music! I flipped on 104 and found they were playing Christmas songs and was incredibly pleased. YAY for Christmas! We went out to Muskogee today to go look at the USS Batfish, a WWII submarine. When we got home, me and my step-son-to-be decorated the apartment for Christmas. It's pretty well decked out. It's lovely... Oh and my Thanksgiving meal that I cooked for all of us turned out wonderful! I was so excited. I had never made a full Tday meal before. Everything was yummy.

My fiance is at work a few (~10) miles away from where we live, and it is snowing where he is, but it isn't snowing here. :thumbdown: Oh, well. I'm sure we'll get some snow.

Enjoy the rest of the break, everyone!

So what is the path thing tomorrow? I take it it's required and that we probably have to wear our white coats. Do we have to know anything for it?

This week's schedule is making me go :thumbdown: .

Oh, Lord, I assumed the path thing tomorrow afternoon was mandatory but white coats never crossed my mind. Not doin' it, unless Bagel convinces me. Last time I wore mine and nobody else in my mod had. Eww, you're right, bad schedule. We never get a holiday without getting punished for it. Perhaps we should start calling holidays "schedule shifts" rather than "time off". They are in no way time off, IMHO.

Oh, Lord, I assumed the path thing tomorrow afternoon was mandatory but white coats never crossed my mind. Not doin' it, unless Bagel convinces me. Last time I wore mine and nobody else in my mod had. Eww, you're right, bad schedule. We never get a holiday without getting punished for it. Perhaps we should start calling holidays "schedule shifts" rather than "time off". They are in no way time off, IMHO.

I just checked blackboard, and it said "professional attire required." :( I'm guessing that means stupid white coats. Yep, we always pay for the holidays.

I just checked blackboard, and it said "professional attire required." :( I'm guessing that means stupid white coats. Yep, we always pay for the holidays.
Oh, all right (conspicuous, and unattractive, pout... ). But they can't make me press it. So there.

On a serious note, thanks for checking. :)

I heard them say on the news on Friday that he got the axe. :thumbup:

We never get a holiday without getting punished for it. Perhaps we should start calling holidays "schedule shifts" rather than "time off". They are in no way time off, IMHO.

:smuggrin:

:eek: Freezing rain in Moore...

We just got back from Dallas a few minutes ago, and thankfully there was no freezing rain. It did rain the entire drive home, and half the way there, making for a quite tense drive, but nothing was frozen at this point.

Anyone think that I would manage to get >70% on the biochem exam if I only study from the reviews? B/c I'm so far behind at this point that my interest in reading all of our syllabus is 0. A HUGE zero. Thoughts?

Anyone think that I would manage to get >70% on the biochem exam if I only study from the reviews? B/c I'm so far behind at this point that my interest in reading all of our syllabus is 0. A HUGE zero. Thoughts?

:eek: I wouldn't do it.

My theory is it was karma for all the sooner fans laughing when Oregon lost to Arizona after Dixon got hurt.

I had to quit watching after the third quarter. If we knock off OSU and get beat in the Big 12 game, do we still get to go to the Fiesta Bowl? If OU's not going to the NC game, I'd really like to see Mark "get in ma' belly!" Mangino's Jayhawks knock off LSU.

Just thought I'd finally mention that I hadn't realized that Bradford got a concussion during the game. I didn't get to watch the whole thing and must have missed that part. I kind of assumed he got benched b/c he was playing so horribly, and I had been irritated at Stoops for not bringing him back in as the game went on. I felt he had been punished enough. :oops: I'm dumb. So the Sooners didn't choke as bad as I thought; they lost their QB and sadly, too much of the team revolves around one boy.

I am quasi-considering cheering for Mizzou in the Big XII game. I also think it would be nice for a Big XII team to go to and win at the championship game. But I imagine I won't be able to help to cheer for the Sooners, even though they almost deserve to lose.

:eek: I wouldn't do it.

True, but you are way more hardcore than I am about school in general, I do believe. :) I can't help but feel the time would be more efficiently used if spent on anatomy, especially since the pelvic region is so confusing. Abdomen = :thumbup:, legs = :thumbup:, pelvis / perineum = :confused:. I think it may be in part to my complete lack of understanding the bony structures in that area. The sacrum / coxal bones are weird to me.

He couldn't have been playing THAT badly; I think he only ran 3 plays, unless I'm thinking of someone else. And I don't know if you'll have to cheer for Mizzou. I think OU will be getting a VERY different team than the one they beat. I'd rather see a big 12 school in the big dance too. Win or lose OU is going to the Fiesta Bowl, MAYBE to play Kansas if they beat MU. My in-laws are huge Buckeye fans and ardent OU haters, so this weekend should be interesting...

My favorite part about the pelvis, ok the pelvis part of GA, was the crusty, shriveled, monochromatic half-a-pelvis that you've never seen but O'Don keeps in a bag in his fridge just for special occasions like the practical, as if to say, "This looks SO much unlike ANYTHING they will EVER see again, I must keep it as a testable example of what the anatomy of the pelvis does NOT look like! BWWHAHAHAHA!!"

My favorite part about the pelvis, ok the pelvis part of GA, was the crusty, shriveled, monochromatic half-a-pelvis that you've never seen but O'Don keeps in a bag in his fridge just for special occasions like the practical, as if to say, "This looks SO much unlike ANYTHING they will EVER see again, I must keep it as a testable example of what the anatomy of the pelvis does NOT look like! BWWHAHAHAHA!!"

:smuggrin: Thanks for the warning!

Traditionally the last biochem test is the easiest (or at least easier than the second one). Of course it was also my lowest score because I blew it off. It was probably everybody else's highest score, though. Honestly the reviews would get you pretty close to there, except I wouldn't trust that one Weigel review floating around. I relied on that almost exclusively for his material and missed a ton of his questions. Unless someone created a new review this year or last year, I'd look at his syllabus.

The other problem with the test is that it's sorta unclear where the nutritional stuff is coming from. Some of it seemed like material that was never presented to us and was maybe just presented in an undergrad class by Knehans at OU. So if you took his class, great, if not, well, you might miss some stuff. His stuff is easy, but you might not know the specific buzzwords or whatever.

Biochem, such nostalgia...

Make sure that you go over the lectures and the syllabus.

I think I did best on block 2 or mini 2. Did the listed prof come back to do glycogen storage diseases? He'd been ill for a while. Maybe the review would be different with a different instructor. I dunno--I don't remember them offering any reviews.

Hmmm sounds like this TB might be doable for just reading reviews. I'm going to say that reading Fuller's section of the syllabus sounds wise. I've been trying to just read the review, but it is taking just as much time to read Fuller's review as it would to read his syllabus. So... Fuller get's his syllabus read, and apparently I should watch the nutrition videos so I can catch the buzz words.

Have I mentioned how much I hate biochemistry? Could there be a worse topic to learn? I don't think so. But! Only 2.5 weeks left of our first semester of med school! :D And it is only 1 month & 2 days til I get married! :love:

I was thinking about it Ice, the boards deal. Probably no novel info, but curious to see the "official" perspective.

As much a testament to how behind I am in PCM as it is to how often I check my mailbox, is there a GU syllabus section floating around somewhere?

I was thinking about it Ice, the boards deal. Probably no novel info, but curious to see the "official" perspective.

As much a testament to how behind I am in PCM as it is to how often I check my mailbox, is there a GU syllabus section floating around somewhere?

Nevermind -- it looks like we did have a lecture on GU. :( Nope, don't have a syllabus for it, but I'll check my email. It was not in our box as of last week.

I'm planning on going to the USMLE thing, but I've got to say I'm sick of the whole pushing Kaplan on us all the time thing. I'm hoping it's not another promo thing for them.

Nevermind -- it looks like we did have a lecture on GU. :( Nope, don't have a syllabus for it, but I'll check my email. It was not in our box as of last week.

I'm planning on going to the USMLE thing, but I've got to say I'm sick of the whole pushing Kaplan on us all the time thing. I'm hoping it's not another promo thing for them.

Yeah, not GI :D

I heard some people can get perks depending on how many classmates they get to list them as a reference when they buy Kaplan stuff.

Ok not really but it makes for good TV.

It does have that timeshare vibe to it.

It does have that timeshare vibe to it.

Kinda like the push to buy the Weslyn (or whatever) products (i.e. ophthalmoscope or whatever expensive toy they think we need to buy that unless you own your own practice or do house calls, you don't need)? :thumbdown:

So I was thinking about Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome... (since I'm actually reading Fuller's syllabus) and thought it would be wise if we did genetic testing to confirm XX or XY. I have no idea how expensive it is to do so (I would think the cost minimal), and I have no idea if they already do this. Anyone know if neonates are all given XX/XY testing as a rule? If not, why not? Cost vs. it's usually pretty obvious and AIS is rare?

Kinda like the push to buy the Weslyn (or whatever) products (i.e. ophthalmoscope or whatever expensive toy they think we need to buy that unless you own your own practice or do house calls, you don't need)? :thumbdown:

My PCM doc didn't show today, so I think that I was in your mod instead (you're 232 right?). Anyway, the PCM doc for that mod actually went off today on how we med students don't buy the basic tools of the job anymore.

I personally already have a set since we bought some for my wife when she was in school (Welch Allyn with the cool panoptic ophthalmoscope head), but I had a good paying engineering job at the time. I'm not sure that I would drop several hundered dollars while in school with no income while I still needed to put food on the table.

Other than that, I loved the session with the guy (he is actually a former dean of the med school). He was way into the reading the patient as a story metaphor.