University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm posting mostly just because no one else has in hours, and SDN is my boredom distraction.

:thumbup: for biochem being on video! Now I just have to watch it :(. Oh well, it may mean I'll actually learn something this TB in biochem. I have found that watching the video recording for any lecture while adding my own comments to the notegroups that were already done is a really convenient way to get everything to study for the test in one place.

Also :thumbup: for nothing being required this week except anatomy. Another thumbup for statehood day! Did anyone else know statehood day even existed? Cuz I sure didn't... but I'm really grateful for it now.

Buffy update - she's eating! Not much, but enough that I don't have to worry that they will have to operate on her again. So yay! :) I'm going to go by the bursar's office tomorrow to find out if I can get some money :eek:. Hmm I think they need a "prayer" icon.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm posting mostly just because no one else has in hours, and SDN is my boredom distraction.

:thumbup: for biochem being on video! Now I just have to watch it :(. Oh well, it may mean I'll actually learn something this TB in biochem. I have found that watching the video recording for any lecture while adding my own comments to the notegroups that were already done is a really convenient way to get everything to study for the test in one place.

Also :thumbup: for nothing being required this week except anatomy. Another thumbup for statehood day! Did anyone else know statehood day even existed? Cuz I sure didn't... but I'm really grateful for it now.

Buffy update - she's eating! Not much, but enough that I don't have to worry that they will have to operate on her again. So yay! :) I'm going to go by the bursar's office tomorrow to find out if I can get some money :eek:. Hmm I think they need a "prayer" icon.
You mean Leon actually caved-in and is allowing video of biochem lectures? Will wonders never cease!!

Statehood day is only this year for the 100th, unfortunately.

Yay that the kitty's feeling better. No delicate way to put this - let us know when you're sure things are working again from the north end to the south end!! :laugh:

Statehood day is only this year for the 100th, unfortunately.

Yay that the kitty's feeling better. No delicate way to put this - let us know when you're sure things are working again from the north end to the south end!! :laugh:

The funny part is we will have to ask our patients those questions often. Ick. One of the things I am least curious about in regards to other people is there functioning digestive system. Oh the joys of medicine. Trying to watch and see if she's doing ok in that department, but I've got two cats so it's hard to know. I imagine if she starts getting blocked up she will start acting that way (i.e. acting more uncomfortable than normal or whatever).

At least I'm not completely ignorant about statehood day. I would have felt dumb if we had it every year and I just never noticed.

Trying to stay on top of classes (for once) and also trying to give myself a complete break (for once) are not meshing well... I'm kinda trying to do both at the same time, which doesn't work for obvious reasons. I guess I'm just choosing to stay on top of anatomy (til next week) since it's the only class I've got a chance in. Besides, I've been looking at live people's abdomens for a few weeks now... time to play in a dead one's!

Members don't see this ad :)
So 3 bonus points for pharm! :thumbup: I went back and forth on the afib/vfib one, so wound up missing it so I'm glad we got that one back.

I've studied all of 20 minutes this week, so I guess I need to change that.

It seems that he isn't posting his own lectures, just everyone else's.

Yeah, that's a bunch of BS, considering I found that out after I skipped this morning. I heard that he spent his first 30 minutes setting up and talking and covered very little material, so I don't feel too bad for missing.

Yeah, that's a bunch of BS, considering I found that out after I skipped this morning. I heard that he spent his first 30 minutes setting up and talking and covered very little material, so I don't feel too bad for missing.

Isn't he just doing the porphyrins stuff? If so, it's very little material and not a big part of your test. Just read the Lippincott part and move on. And there's still an mp3 anyway if you want to torture yourself and listen to it.

So is it at all realistic to expect to get anything back on IHI or was our first exam experience a fluke?

Also, have any of the people going to Tulsa day heard anything about who we'll follow on Friday? And I noted that I needed a place to stay but still haven't heard anything there.

So is it at all realistic to expect to get anything back on IHI or was our first exam experience a fluke?

Also, have any of the people going to Tulsa day heard anything about who we'll follow on Friday? And I noted that I needed a place to stay but still haven't heard anything there.

the good thing is, it appears holliman gives points back when a bulk of the class misses any certain question, regardless of whether or not he deems it a bad question, so it seem there is always a possibility of getting a couple back.

the good thing is, it appears holliman gives points back when a bulk of the class misses any certain question, regardless of whether or not he deems it a bad question, so it seem there is always a possibility of getting a couple back.

<----Crossing fingers and hoping I wasn't the only one who remembered reading that PDGF facilitates atherosclerosis...

Although, it would be somewhat of a pointless victory. It's not like that's the one question my dreams and the future economic stability of my family rests on.

I am just curious since I was rereading posts from last year's Oklahoma thread...what happened to Wizard? I noticed there were all these "guest" comments and I finally realized who it was. Whatever happened to him/her?

I am just curious since I was rereading posts from last year's Oklahoma thread...what happened to Wizard? I noticed there were all these "guest" comments and I finally realized who it was. Whatever happened to him/her?

(S)He floated away in a hot air baloon after a confrontation with the flying monkeys (also known as lurkers).

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard Wizard moved to LA to try his hand at acting. Someone saw him on The Office a few weeks ago. ;)

So at least 3 questions back on IHI. :thumbup:

I still haven't figured out who you are Ice..

I heard Wizard moved to LA to try his hand at acting. Someone saw him on The Office a few weeks ago. ;)

The Office? I was, I mean, a friend told me he was watching some sort of Thai anal bondage film and saw him with a Cardinal's hat on.

3 back on IHI? Where's a boner smilie when you need one?

3 back on IHI? Where's a boner smilie when you need one?

:lol: Nice.

Looks like I'm getting an alternative loan to cover the emergency hospital vet visit. So, I think I'm off the hook from hooking. No street corner for me! :thumbup: The cat is starting to act more and more normal, so life is getting better!

But I still hate school, and I want more Odon lectures and less Chung / Dr. D.

Hey Bagel Babe...you should totally hang out with me cuz I'm a total tv star...
I've been on:
Jerry Springer
Cheaters
and
Cops

(and numerous internet fetish vids)
:thumbup:

I still haven't figured out who you are Ice..

Ice Nine? That's about the only Satch song I remember how to play.
He rules...but I shaved my head years before he did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Bagel Babe...you should totally hang out with me cuz I'm a total tv star...
I've been on:
Jerry Springer
Cheaters
and
Cops

(and numerous internet fetish vids)
:thumbup:

Why do I not find that at all hard to believe? ;) And now I know why you were asking about the sauna.

Yay, Jwax on getting moolah. I think I'm going to have to go hit those people up to get some more money to pay for all this board crap. I thought I could swing it on my regular aid, but I don't see it happening.

Why do I not find that at all hard to believe? ;) And now I know why you were asking about the sauna.
The sauna was just cuz I imagined you in a bikini and me with my snorkel and some tongue-cramp medicine :p

Ah, you guys are so much fun to just watch and observe. It's like being at the zoo. It's like watching the sea lions at the zoo. The OKC zoo. Good times.

No, we both met Janyt May, remember? I'm not very impressed with the organization. The agenda, such as it is, came out very late. I signed up to go to Bedlam and there's nothing about where to go or whom to meet. It would also have been nice to know who I'm paired with and what time I have to get up Friday to meet him/her. It's a little hard to plan a schedule with the paucity of information we've gotten. (Paucity? OMG, have you noticed yourself using a new vocabulary that only a doc would use? Scary.)

I'd invite you to stay at my house, Bagel, but I haven't been home in mucho weeks and Lord-only-knows what my sister has done to the place this time. I'd prefer you didn't know how I live in Tulsa!

I guess we did get questions back on IHI. I'm still not a happy camper at all with pharm, even with three back my score was craptastic. But, IHI - I'm pleased, and that score actually means more. Maybe it's not early-onset Alzheimer's after all.

Screen names this year crack me up. "ShortItalian" is brilliant. It preserves your anonymity from the non-OU lurkers - but, if you've met the Class of 2011, it's not a real difficult guess!!

Nice to see ya, Johnny. I miss Wiz... he left our mod and the only time I see him is on exam days - and, much as I like him, I really don't give a tinker's damn about seeing friends on test days.

I've actually been working - I've transcribed all of this week's IHI lectures. God bless Holliman - he goes at a reasonable pace. Dr. Baker, even on slow speed, is still flying - and, when you're listening at slow speed, you tend to notice more that she quite often loses her train of thought in mid-sentence and starts over with no segue. When Holliman does that, he says "ahhh...." and a long pause and I know he's going to back-up and re-phrase something.

Fair warning on Leon's porphyrin lecture - Lippincott covers the subject perfectly well in about 3 or 4 pages, but Leon prefers some old terms for certain enzymes, as I recall. And ya better know the ones Leon likes.

I smell some fishy business! Anyhoots, I was just rereading the posts last year because I didn't revisit the Oklahoma thread after finding out that I didn't get an interview. I was too devastated to read about others and their application process. I noticed that Wizard asked how I was doing and, of course, I never responded bc I never read the thread. Just wanted to let him/her know that I took the mcat again, reapplied, and have an interview for the 29th! I'm happy and I'm anxious...

I want more Odon lectures and less Chung / Dr. D.

Aww, I like Dr. Chung. I thought we'd seen the last of Dr. D. but we haven't. (Don't get me wrong, he's very nice, but he can be confusing...)

Screen names this year crack me up. "ShortItalian" is brilliant. It preserves your anonymity from the non-OU lurkers - but, if you've met the Class of 2011, it's not a real difficult guess!!

Fair warning on Leon's porphyrin lecture - Lippincott covers the subject perfectly well in about 3 or 4 pages, but Leon prefers some old terms for certain enzymes, as I recall. And ya better know the ones Leon likes.

Haha, thanks, I'm glad you like the screen name. I agree with your analysis :thumbup:

Thanks for the heads-up about Leon's stuff. I just read over Lippincott, but I'll make sure to listen to his mp3.

Aww, I like Dr. Chung. I thought we'd seen the last of Dr. D. but we haven't. (Don't get me wrong, he's very nice, but he can be confusing...)

Esophagoose
Vagoose...

The sauna was just cuz I imagined you in a bikini and me with my snorkel and some tongue-cramp medicine :p

I woke up this morning and my first thought was "That snorkel thing wouldn't even work!" ... my second thought was "And why the H*ll would I need a snorkel in a sauna!" :idea: (guess I had hot tub on the brain).

Not surprising since I gave my dog a buncha roofies cuz I thought roofies were doggie-biscuits :rolleyes: oh well... at least all the neighborhood dogs got some that night :D

"ShortItalian" is brilliant. It preserves your anonymity from the non-OU lurkers - but, if you've met the Class of 2011, it's not a real difficult guess!!

I think he's on one of those Swingers websites too...goes by the nick "ItalianSausageMD" :thumbup:

Chung? D? Meh. More McNeil please.

So the "persons answering correctly are not penalized" thing, basically just add 4 points to your score, no matter what? Or I guess just look at blackboard...

So the "persons answering correctly are not penalized" thing, basically just add 4 points to your score, no matter what? Or I guess just look at blackboard...

Unless you actually missed the one that was miskeyed like me, and then you only add 3 points. :) I knew it was too good to be true for me to not to miss any image questions.

Also, it looks like the grades have disappeared from blackboard. They were there yesterday. Weird.

Unless you actually missed the one that was miskeyed like me, and then you only add 3 points. :) I knew it was too good to be true for me to not to miss any image questions.

Also, it looks like the grades have disappeared from blackboard. They were there yesterday. Weird.

Well I missed that one too, but in addition there were 4 poor analyses: 18, 27, 34, and 75.

And I imagine whoever was the recipient of my grade prolly went straight to Holliman and whined, even though I was perfectly content to have switched. There may have been other transpositions as well. Hence, a retraction...

You know, I was originally a little offended when I read that Dr. Holliman "didn't take challenges." But, actually, I'm pretty impressed. If the item analysis is poor, he's giving it back. Either the question was bad, it wasn't covered in lecture, whatever - we didn't "get it" as a class. I think that's more than fair. I thoroughly like the man. Although I'd like him even better if they would post a PowerPoint broadcast for Dr. Scofield from yesterday...

It's a good thing if you guys like Dr. O'D. He'll haunt you your entire first year. You've had him in Gross and Embryo, and next semester he'll do a number of lectures in Histology and Neuroscience. He's a good instructor, but it's a little disquieting the way he just pops-up in nearly every course!! (His PhD is actually in neuroanatomy, BTW - he's pretty good in the neuro lectures.)

Did that wire-looking thing turn out to be asbestos? Much post-exam debate over that.
I dunno... I didn't get no perfect score on the pictures. If I remember right, though, there was a short, straight asbestos fiber. The long curly thing was a Cushman's spiral that some asthma patient hacked up.

Did that wire-looking thing turn out to be asbestos? Much post-exam debate over that.

I guess not because I think that's what I answered. Editing that NTT is right -- it's a curshmann's spiral. I guess I should have looked at a picture of those. Check out the bottom picture --

http://pathhsw5m54.ucsf.edu/overview/airway2.html

I'm just glad we got the Klebsiella one back. Well, it wasn't Klebsella, but that's what I answered. I needed exactly 3 points back to raise my grade, so I'm happy.

Is material for di'beetus hiding somewhere? Besides ms2 archives from last year...

Now that my 5 weeks with a colorectal surgeon are over, I would like to say that it was in no way a bad experience. So, if you are stuck with it next rotation, it really isn't so bad. Plus the doc's a great guy. I did have to get up at 6am to go to my rotation this morning though. I will be napping after anatomy lecture today. Yay for naps. Then it's after hours time!

Is material for di'beetus hiding somewhere? Besides ms2 archives from last year...

And it was presented by that guy who asked all the super hard questions about it last year. :thumbdown:

So pros for Tulsa -- prettier city, free food on most rotations and more spare time. I'm sold. They also gave us the matchlist for the last 3 years, so if anybody's curious I can post them. Well, except I left it in Stillwater, so I can post it by Monday.

Johnny are you a guitarist?

Satch is great. Paul Gilbert is my hero in that genre.

I'm more of a blues and fingerpicking guitarist (a la Knopfler). Not very technical, but I like it.

Unfortunately I have a story to top Jwax's kitty story. :(

So we finally had to move back to the little D ( @ 1.25 hr from OKC) since my house still hadn't sold, but my wife got a pretty good job here so that's OK. We loaded up the Uhaul trailer yesterday morning and had everything unloaded by 1330.

Yesterday evening my 5.5 wk old son, who was 5 wks early if you recall, who is normally a really calm baby, progressed from fussy to inconsolable @ 2030 so we started to give him a good look over. When we took off his diaper, we saw that his scrotum was inflamed and rigid on one side, so off to the local ER we go. They confirmed our fear that he had an incarcerated hernia that they couldn't get to reduce, so in the EMSA to Children's we go.

After seeing five physicians in varying levels of residency, the attending pediatric surgeon finally got it to reduce @ 0200 this morning, but now my son is going to need surgery to fix the hernia. :( Poor little guy.

What a year...I should get some kind of prize for enduring all the crap that has happened. And just think, we still have a month and a half of this freakin year left! :eek:

Unfortunately I have a story to top Jwax's kitty story. :(

So we finally had to move back to the little D ( @ 1.25 hr from OKC) since my house still hadn't sold, but my wife got a pretty good job here so that's OK. We loaded up the Uhaul trailer yesterday morning and had everything unloaded by 1330.

Yesterday evening my 5.5 wk old son, who was 5 wks early if you recall, who is normally a really calm baby, progressed from fussy to inconsolable @ 2030 so we started to give him a good look over. When we took off his diaper, we saw that his scrotum was inflamed and rigid on one side, so off to the local ER we go. They confirmed our fear that he had an incarcerated hernia that they couldn't get to reduce, so in the EMSA to Children's we go.

After seeing five physicians in varying levels of residency, the attending pediatric surgeon finally got it to reduce @ 0200 this morning, but now my son is going to need surgery to fix the hernia. :( Poor little guy.

What a year...I should get some kind of prize for enduring all the crap that has happened. And just think, we still have a month and a half of this freakin year left! :eek:

I'm so sorry about your little Nate!! That's horrible. :( Let us know how he's doing. I wish you guys the best.

Aw, poor kid! Keep us posted. Good thing your son was lucky enough to get good parents who are paying attention to what's going on.

Sorry to hear about your son. I hope everything is ok. Please let us know how it works out.

I often wonder about its truth, but I've heard people say you don't get anything laid on your shoulders above what you can handle.

I was just happy my son didn't have colic.

And I thought my HB stress quantifier score was high. :(