University of Oklahoma -- all peeps -- part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there are usually 10 questions at each problem solving session. yay for no step 1 this year. boo to take it next year. my 5 yr college reunion is next summer and i really hope that step doesnt interfere with it. wow that makes me feel old.

I bet you'll be able to make it. I'm going to mine this year (that's the one thing getting me through the next few weeks...). I'm taking a week of vacation to go to the reunion flying out May 18 (right after the PCM final) and coming back the 26th. Then I'll have almost a month to finish up step 1 prep and I'm taking it on June 23rd.

Lots of people opted for earlier or later, depending on when they wanted their vacation-- almost no one is studying straight through and taking it June 30th (last day we can take it). The vast majority of the advice that we've heard is to take the exam after roughly four weeks of studying post-comprehensive exams. Most of the people that spent less than that felt under-prepared, and most of the people that spent more than that were burnt out by the end (and felt they didn't perform their best because of it). There are always exceptions depending on personality, but that's what I've heard from the vast majority of 3rd years.

Some people are taking the exam super-early to have all their vacation (~3 weeks or so) at the end, and some people are taking it June 30th and taking 2-3 weeks off in the middle. I'm splitting mine up so I can take one week between finals and step 1 for my reunion and about 1.5-2 weeks after the step to relax with my hubby before 3rd year.

Anyway, this was a very long-winded response, but my point is that you should have no trouble going to the reunion as long as it's before July 5th or so :)

Members don't see this ad.

I bet you'll be able to make it. I'm going to mine this year (that's the one thing getting me through the next few weeks...). I'm taking a week of vacation to go to the reunion flying out May 18 (right after the PCM final) and coming back the 26th. Then I'll have almost a month to finish up step 1 prep and I'm taking it on June 23rd.

Lots of people opted for earlier or later, depending on when they wanted their vacation-- almost no one is studying straight through and taking it June 30th (last day we can take it). The vast majority of the advice that we've heard is to take the exam after roughly four weeks of studying post-comprehensive exams. Most of the people that spent less than that felt under-prepared, and most of the people that spent more than that were burnt out by the end (and felt they didn't perform their best because of it). There are always exceptions depending on personality, but that's what I've heard from the vast majority of 3rd years.

Some people are taking the exam super-early to have all their vacation (~3 weeks or so) at the end, and some people are taking it June 30th and taking 2-3 weeks off in the middle. I'm splitting mine up so I can take one week between finals and step 1 for my reunion and about 1.5-2 weeks after the step to relax with my hubby before 3rd year.

Anyway, this was a very long-winded response, but my point is that you should have no trouble going to the reunion as long as it's before July 5th or so :)

I've been meaning to ask how most here do it. I've also heard to get the books you'll use to review, Robbins, RR Path, whatever, and use them throughout the year. Did anyone you know do that? I'm kinda sweatin' the whole thing, which at this rate, I should have a massive MI sometime around February...

Given the "sampling bias", it's prolly the wrong place to ask, but if anyone has gone to Phys this week, did she cover the accessory organs? They are in the syllabus, but the schedule doesn't match. I can't imagine we'd just write them off, and we haven't covered them to date, so it's kind of silly to ask...

I've been meaning to ask how most here do it. I've also heard to get the books you'll use to review, Robbins, RR Path, whatever, and use them throughout the year. Did anyone you know do that? I'm kinda sweatin' the whole thing, which at this rate, I should have a massive MI sometime around February...

I think most people did that... not in every class, but IHI was probably the more popular one. Pharm, too. I've had First Aid all year, but I've been sort of inconsistent about using it w/classes (I did some test blocks, didn't others, depending on how caught up I was). I bought RR Path at the beginning of this semester (because I was waiting for the new edition), and definitely wished I'd had it earlier since I've been using it all semester.

Basically, it's just a good idea to be familiar with the layout of the book you'll be using. Also, if you buy a book based on someone else's recommendation, and you find out after a few test blocks that it's not your style, you have time to find something else, whereas if you don't use it until a few weeks before the step you're pretty much SOL. And of course there's the fact that in IHI, I know very few people that were able to get by on the block exams solely with the syllabus... it's just too dense, and you really need some idea of what's going to be high yield (enter BRS, RR Path, etc.).

I wouldn't sweat it too hard now... really, doing well in your classes right now and through second year is the best step 1 prep (except for HB II, which I hear bears no resemblance to the step 1 behavioral science section). Most people in our class didn't start step 1 studying until after spring break, and a few of us *cough* didn't get really serious about it until this test block.

Members don't see this ad :)
Outside of regular class prep, the only thing I've done thus far for Step 1 has been about 400ish Kaplan Q-Bank questions.

I feel comfortable about things right now. My real prep for finals and Step 1 begins tomorrow. I took off yesterday and today to completely veg out here.

So who do I have to kill to get a Perkins loan? I submitted my FAFSA super early this year, and still no dice. :(

I've never gotten one. I'm actually kinda weirded out because my $5,000+ alternative loan from last year suddenly became a federal loan this year... which is making me think our tuition might be outrageously higher this year :( We are taking more credit hours, but still, that would suck :( :(

I've never gotten one. I'm actually kinda weirded out because my $5,000+ alternative loan from last year suddenly became a federal loan this year... which is making me think our tuition might be outrageously higher this year :( We are taking more credit hours, but still, that would suck :( :(

Is it the federal GradPlus loan? They might be trying to switch everybody over to that. I'm guessing they can actually disburse it on time this year instead of making us wait until October to get it.

My unsubsidized staffords were also divided into two loans -- one for $30k and one for $2k. Is that $2k just for the full year curriculum that we supposedly have starting second year? It just seemed weird.

So who do I have to kill to get a Perkins loan? I submitted my FAFSA super early this year, and still no dice. :(

I thought Perkins was only for undergrad...but I'm too lazy to look that up to see for sure.

How do you know what you have gotten already? I still haven't received anything from OUHSC financial aid dept. I figured that I probably wouldn't hear from them until after May, but if I need to start rattling cages let me know.

I think most of the current students got financial aid "award" letters via e-mail yesterday.

I say award sarcastically. "Congratulations! You're going to be someone's financial bitch for the next decade, to whom would you like to swear your allegiance?"

I thought Perkins was only for undergrad...but I'm too lazy to look that up to see for sure.

How do you know what you have gotten already? I still haven't received anything from OUHSC financial aid dept. I figured that I probably wouldn't hear from them until after May, but if I need to start rattling cages let me know.

Nope, it's for grad, too. Pell is undergrad only. Schools award it however they want, so who knows what they look for. I was just thinking enviously about that 5% interest, which used to not be such a great deal.

Yeah, Amx -- congratulations, you get to borrow enough to buy a house and still not have a house.

As entering MS1s.. did you guys have your loan stuff done before the end of June? I'm anxious to get it done before Europe.

As entering MS1s.. did you guys have your loan stuff done before the end of June? I'm anxious to get it done before Europe.

I think so, yeah. Also, it takes all of 2 minutes to do it. As I recall, you just tell the school what lender you'd like, and they do all the rest.

The histology grades are up in blackboard now, and my grade is 6% points higher than what I calculated, so I guess we got a lot of questions back on that exam review. :thumbup:

Still no grades for those last 2 TBLs that we did in EBM, which is pretty sad considering we turned them in ages ago. I'm standing by my theory that we'll get our EBM grades in September.

Members don't see this ad :)
The histology grades are up in blackboard now, and my grade is 6% points higher than what I calculated, so I guess we got a lot of questions back on that exam review. :thumbup:

Still no grades for those last 2 TBLs that we did in EBM, which is pretty sad considering we turned them in ages ago. I'm standing by my theory that we'll get our EBM grades in September.

The only reason I think they HAVE to get us our grades in May is because otherwise people who got one D won't know if they have to repeat the year or just retake some exams.

So unless the EBM people and the admins want an annoying bald guy calling and emailing them 10 times/day...they'll get the EBM grades up asap.

The only reason I think they HAVE to get us our grades in May is because otherwise people who got one D won't know if they have to repeat the year or just retake some exams.

So unless the EBM people and the admins want an annoying bald guy calling and emailing them 10 times/day...they'll get the EBM grades up asap.

Man, that would so suck to have to repeat a year because of EBM. Luckily, I think everyone passes that class.

Man, that would so suck to have to repeat a year because of EBM. Luckily, I think everyone passes that class.

Yea that would suck. Luckily Neuro and Physio are the only borderline classes I have. Everything else is fine.

Dr. Blair posting those new grade requirements almost gave me a panic attack. lol (just where the req pnts went up)

BTW Mrs Bagel Babe...if you're on campus today swing by mod 216. I made a useful flashcard for the neuro practical but it only works on macs. It covers everything from lab 6....but the file is 39 megs so I can't email it. I'll be in there from like 1-2pm.

BTW Mrs Bagel Babe...if you're on campus today swing by mod 216. I made a useful flashcard for the neuro practical but it only works on macs. It covers everything from lab 6....but the file is 39 megs so I can't email it. I'll be in there from like 1-2pm.

I don't think I can make it there by 2. I have to be there around 3:30 for my practice physical exam, which I'm guessing is why you'll be there, too. :) Let me know when you're next going to be on campus because it sounds neato.

I don't think I can make it there by 2. I have to be there around 3:30 for my practice physical exam, which I'm guessing is why you'll be there, too. :) Let me know when you're next going to be on campus because it sounds neato.

Yea it's totally neato and super swell :p

I'll meet you up there Monday if you're available...I have to turn in my last PCM paper.

My physical exam went ok today...not great, but anyhow. After I took the woman's BP she was like "ummm, I kinda tiny so you don't really have to pump it all the way up to 220" :laugh: oops

btw...you can see if Freeze is gonna be on campus tomorrow cuz he has the flash drive with the file on it if you're in a hurry.

Yea it's totally neato and super swell :p

I'll meet you up there Monday if you're available...I have to turn in my last PCM paper.

My physical exam went ok today...not great, but anyhow. After I took the woman's BP she was like "ummm, I kinda tiny so you don't really have to pump it all the way up to 220" :laugh: oops

btw...you can see if Freeze is gonna be on campus tomorrow cuz he has the flash drive with the file on it if you're in a hurry.

Yeah, Monday works for me for the same reason. I guess I need to write that someday. I'm sure the file will be peachy keen. :)

I made my sp's arm go numb while doing the blood pressure because she had a really low systolic pressure (like 60), and I didn't let the air of the cuff out fast enough. :oops: I really need to take so many more blood pressures and do all of this stuff a million times before I feel comfortable.

Yeah, Monday works for me for the same reason. I guess I need to write that someday. I'm sure the file will be peachy keen. :)

I made my sp's arm go numb while doing the blood pressure because she had a really low systolic pressure (like 60), and I didn't let the air of the cuff out fast enough. :oops: I really need to take so many more blood pressures and do all of this stuff a million times before I feel comfortable.

60 systolic? holy K-rap :eek:

If you wanna get together we can practice on each other. Heck we can even practice some medical stuff too :banana:

I think when you take my bp, to get an accurate reading you have to take your shirt off. ;)
(it's in the syllabus...)

60 systolic? holy K-rap :eek:

If you wanna get together we can practice on each other. Heck we can even practice some medical stuff too :banana:

I think when you take my bp, to get an accurate reading you have to take your shirt off. ;)
(it's in the syllabus...)

LOL, I'm stupid. I meant diastolic. :oops: So maybe I need to both study the cardio part of phys and do take more blood pressures.

Hmm, maybe I should read the syllabus. ;)

Since I obsessively check blackboard, I noticed that we do have the grades for the last two TBLs now. It looks like she was a generous grader because the class averages were like 98%. :thumbup:

Umm, so maybe this is med school induced amnesia or early aging related memory problems, but I just completely blanked on my phone number. I got through the 405, but had no clue after that.

Since I obsessively check blackboard, I noticed that we do have the grades for the last two TBLs now. It looks like she was a generous grader because the class averages were like 98%. :thumbup:

Umm, so maybe this is med school induced amnesia or early aging related memory problems, but I just completely blanked on my phone number. I got through the 405, but had no clue after that.

i will gladly wait 4 weeks for anything that has a 98 mean. :) if they would have just told us dont worry, the mean is 98 then no one would have been bitching about not getting our grades.

So is the sum, 673, of the points possible column all that's used for final grade in there? Sum what you actually got, divide by 673, dance a little jig?

Or are there, say, "hidden confounders"? :rolleyes:

So is the sum, 673, of the points possible column all that's used for final grade in there? Sum what you actually got, divide by 673, dance a little jig?

Or are there, say, "hidden confounders"? :rolleyes:

no. attendance 5%, quizzes 5%, tbls 60%, final 30%. there are still 2 attendance and quiz grades missing, but if you want to figure your grade take your percentages on each part and weight according to the percentages above.

REPENT!!!!!!!!!
REPENT!!!!!!!
REPENT you pigs, you heathen, you witches, you liars, you homosexuals, you murderers, you rich, you bleach blondes, you evil varments!

The end is NEAR !!!!!!

I got a 96% in EBM :scared:

You've been warned!

REPENT!!!!!!!!!
REPENT!!!!!!!
REPENT you pigs, you heathen, you witches, you liars, you homosexuals, you murderers, you rich, you bleach blondes, you evil varments!

The end is NEAR !!!!!!

You've been warned!

So apocolypse this weekend? I guess it's for the best that I haven't been studying. :D

So apocolypse this weekend? I guess it's for the best that I haven't been studying. :D

lol

No kidding...

I've recalc'd my grades AGAIN after Dr. Blair adjusting stuff and after taking out points I lost for missing a couple of those d*mn pbls.

I need to score an 82% on the Physhio final
and
I need a 76% written/ 50% practical on the Neuro final.

blah

I'm gonna be stressed for the next 20 days.

I swear, if some a*shole misses a final and I have to wait another week to get my grades...I'm gonna make a t-shirt with their face on it that says "This guy s*cks!" :mad:

Prepare to be oh so jealous...

you ready?

Here it comes...

I went to the conv store...and taped on the window was a pic of missing horses that had been stolen.

That's right...

We done got ourselves some horse-wranglars! :eek:

I wonder if they still linch horse thievz round theez here partz?

Nothin like living in a "town" :laugh:

THAT is just sad!:rolleyes: :laugh:

Hi all,

I may be transferring to OU this July for 3rd and 4th year clinicals. I am currently a 2nd yr at Mich St. Univ. My husband has been stationed at Tinker AFB since '05 and will be there until '09. I am transferring so we can finally live together! I have an acceptance to transfer to OU, contingent upon my passing Step 1. The problem is that I am currently planning on taking it on June 9th, so OU probably won't receive my scores in time for me to start on July 9th. So I may have to start 2 wks-1 mo late.

So do any of you have any advice? What is OU like? What are the clinical rotations like? Any other things I should know? I think it will be pretty stressful to start clinicals in a brand new place with unfamiliar faces, but I will be much happier overall to live with my husband.

Please give me a PM b/c I don't come on here very often!

I look forward to meeting you all and working with you on the wards.

:)
Amy

REPENT!!!!!!!!!
REPENT!!!!!!!

The end is NEAR !!!!!!

You've been warned!

very impressive. have you thought about academic internal medicine?

Who won what for the MS1s and MS2s at the Aesculapian thing last night?

I was planning to be there, but my wife was too sick to go last night, and I didn't want to leave her here alone.

I was planning to be there, but my wife was too sick to go last night, and I didn't want to leave her here alone.

awww...
you're such a good hubby :thumbup:

Don't know for sure, but I have a feeling Joe Ghata won for MS1 because both his parents were going with him. Joe's an odd guy, but I can't think of any other reason why he'd bring his parents. :)

I became a vikings fan today.

****, I became a Vikes fan after they had that big ol' ****ing orgy sex party on the boat!! Those guys know how to get DOWN!!

Today, I became a Dolphins fan...I wish Quinn woulda went 2nd round. Although, he handled it VERY WELL (facade anyway...) and gained a lot of points...maybe this big fat ****ing piece of humble pie will be enough for me to like him now.

I like how they suck on one guy's cock for 12-13 minutes (the announcers), then when the team picks someone COMPLETELY off their radar, they start banging HIS nuts off their chin, like they thought HE was a great pick! Just tell us you have no ****ing clue...

I like when Steve Young asked Mel Kiper "where did THAT come from?!?!" before they went to one of their expert correspondents, referring to some dumb **** he said.

Did you see what they took off AD's lapel right before he walked out, it wasn't a VT pin, I just couldn't see it, and am too cheap for DVR...

I'm 150 pages from the end of Atlas Shrugged. Time to make a dent in that.. on a Saturday night no less!

Well we decided on renting an apartment by Quail Springs Mall at the Stoneleigh. My wife liked all of the amenities that are close by and it's close to her work. It's also close to Mercy where our maternal/fetal doc is. It's a little (lot) more than I was wanting to pay, but hey, she's footing the bill from now on for a couple years so she gets to make the final call; plus, I am going to be busy with school so I won't really care as long as I have lights and a desk.

Now all that remains is getting my house sold so that we can move all the furniture to OKC. Speaking of which, anybody in the market for a 2400+ square foot house with new carpet and a new roof? It's in a nice suburb of The Middle of Nowhere and only a short 1.25 hr commute to OUHSC...:laugh: :smuggrin:

Don't turn me in for advertising....I'm just kidding... but all that stuff about my house is true and it's for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.