University of Oklahoma -- all peeps -- part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ncschiropractic.com/ahcpr/part3.htm

I would say that on the face of it they receive training similar in many ways to ours, but I doubt the quality of education is anywhere near what we receive. I could be wrong though, but I doubt it.

Check out Table 4. They have the lowest entry stats compared to allopathy, osteopath, dentistry, optometry, and podiatry (comparing GPA and %bachelors).
Allopath 100.9 99.4 3.16 3.56
Chiropractic 64.1 42.2 2.38 2.90

So 42% of chiropracters have bachelors, compared to 99% of allopaths.

Chiropractic care is far below allopathic and osteopathic care in quality of applicants. To make a complete case demographics for both groups, comparisons of licensure requirements, etc. would have to be considered. That said my BS detector tells me I would rather take advice from real physicians (MD and DO).

Members don't see this ad.

:( They haven't added mine... and it's not even like last year when they would have had reason to think I might not make it to next year...

EDIT: Johnny, I too was in the group of people on pins and needles waiting for my grades from the neuro & phys finals because I knew if I only failed ONE I'd be okay... but I busted my ass for the finals and passed them both, and I'm sure you will too :)

Thanks for the uplifting comment... I need it.
It would sooooooooooo s*ck to repeat the whole year over a few points in the last minutes of the game.

The only thing that has screwed me up was bombing our last Physio exam...and bombing the snot outta the 2 Neuro practicals. I've done ok on everthing else...but being the consumate overachiever at mediocracy I don't bomb a "little", I bomb "shock-n-awe" style. (ie...I got the lowest score on our last neuro practical) lol

I would say that on the face of it they receive training similar in many ways to ours, but I doubt the quality of education is anywhere near what we receive. I could be wrong though, but I doubt it.

Check out Table 4. They have the lowest entry stats compared to allopathy, osteopath, dentistry, optometry, and podiatry (comparing GPA and %bachelors).

Chiropractic care is far below allopathic and osteopathic care in quality of applicants. To make a complete case demographics for both groups, comparisons of licensure requirements, etc. would have to be considered. That said my BS detector tells me I would rather take advice from real physicians (MD and DO).
I think even if back-crackers got the identical training in school that MDs do...they still wouldn't know anything, because unless you practice it day-after-day (ie...3+ yrs of residency, then the rest of your life) the will have forgotten 99% of what they learned in a school within a month of graduating.

I minored in spanish at OU...and have already forgotten everything cuz I never used it in real life.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, I think two years of ugrad versus three is a notable difference, as is that MCAT requirement that we have. Also, the fact that they take the same courses as us doesn't mean the courses are of as high quality. I just can't see that a chiropractic school would attract the same caliber of professors as we have. And there's no way their clinical training is comparable to ours -- I've never heard of chiropractic students rotating at major hospitals. Also, no residency -- pretty difference, imo. You can tell I've been thinking about this one. :)

Yeah, your BS detector definitely goes off when you come across someone talking about how they're a doctor and yet they don't vaccinate their kids. Then you realize they're a chiropractor, and you feel a little conned.

So it looks like our exam review guy isn't running again. Also, 4 presidential candidates! I actually am going to vote for candidate #3, so yay -- I can vote for someone I trust without having to vote for anyone who was a part of the whole evil IDgate thing. :thumbup:

Yeah, I think two years of ugrad versus three is a notable difference, as is that MCAT requirement that we have. Also, the fact that they take the same courses as us doesn't mean the courses are of as high quality. I just can't see that a chiropractic school would attract the same caliber of professors as we have. And there's no way their clinical training is comparable to ours -- I've never heard of chiropractic students rotating at major hospitals. Also, no residency -- pretty difference, imo. You can tell I've been thinking about this one. :)

Yeah, your BS detector definitely goes off when you come across someone talking about how they're a doctor and yet they don't vaccinate their kids. Then you realize they're a chiropractor, and you feel a little conned.

So it looks like our exam review guy isn't running again. Also, 4 presidential candidates! I actually am going to vote for candidate #3, so yay -- I can vote for someone I trust without having to vote for anyone who was a part of the whole evil IDgate thing. :thumbup:

Am I the ONLY one who has to keep logging in on here as of today? I changed some browser settings so I could view the physio animations and I'm wondering if that's what screwed up stuff.

As for elections, I'm leaning towards Jordan. I wrote him about the Notegroups junk and he agrees as far as I can tell. There are 4 guys running, 1 & 2 are a definite "no"...so it's all 3 or 4.

I calculated how much work the current (and apparently next) notegroups person does...and she makes from $320-600/hr LOL I've decided to fail med school and just become a notegroups chair.

I still think it's ******ed that I got 6 or more mass emails about the softball teams...numerous bartour emails...but only 1 about nominating class reps....kinda par tho :D

If there are any second year's not stuck in QBank purgatory, how have you begun to get ready for Step 1? Are you pretty much just focusing on MS2 classes until finals are over, or have you been fitting review time in already? Is second year similar to first in that if you know the syllabus you're at least in good shape, or do most people use other resources, you know, like textbooks :scared: ?

If there are any second year's not stuck in QBank purgatory, how have you begun to get ready for Step 1? Are you pretty much just focusing on MS2 classes until finals are over, or have you been fitting review time in already? Is second year similar to first in that if you know the syllabus you're at least in good shape, or do most people use other resources, you know, like textbooks :scared: ?

Up to now, I've definitely just been focusing on getting through classes. Our last day of new material is tomorrow's IHI, so we have from now until finals to study for our comprehensive finals in IHI, Pharm, & PCM. Studying for these finals will be really good board prep, since Path & Pharm are the two biggest components of step 1. Then I'm taking a week off to visit old college buddies, then starting with 1st year stuff (Gross, Biochem, Phys, Neuro, EBM) & re-reviewing IHI & Pharm.

I'm taking the step on June 23rd, which will give me a few weeks off with my hubby before orientation. As for the question about syllabus vs. textbooks... technically, the claim is that everything tested in IHI comes out of the syllabus. If you read my rocky mountain spotted fever rant last test block, you know that's not true. MOST of it is in the syllabus; however, most people still choose to use textbooks for a few reasons:

A) the syllabus has no pictures, and the first 8 questions of every test are pictures (histopath & gross path pictures)
B) the 1/6th of the syllabus that you'll be studying is usually thicker than most textbooks. It's really hard to get through the entire syllabus multiple times, so most of us choose to use review books (like BRS Path & Goljan Rapid Review Path) for the second & third times through.
C) It always helps to get a different perspective, and given the complexity of the material, it's just a good idea.
D) You will need some form of questions... almost everyone does the Webpath questions, but you will find that the more questions you do, the better off you are. I always do the BRS questions as well, and I have the Robbins QBook that I try to get through when I can.

As for pharm, it's all in the syllabus. Whenever it's not, you WILL get those questions back. Ihnat bends over backwards to be excessively fair. (In contrast to Holliman, who just bends us over...). However, even in pharm many people choose to use other sources. Personally, I like the Lippincott Pharm cards (they're flashcards). I found out late in the year that someone from previous years printed & sold their own version of Pharm cards which a lot of people use... but I hear a lot of corrections in them, so I'm actually glad I stuck with Lippincott.

Basically, I'm not trying to scare you, but be prepared to study twice as hard as you did this year. You will think Blair is EASY as pie after your first Holliman test... on the other hand, it's TONS more interesting, so it's not quite as much of a chore to study it. This is also stuff you will ACTUALLY be using, as opposed to stuff you just ought to have in the back of your head somewhere. Patients have pathology (that's why they're here), and they need drugs to fix it (the REAL reason they're here).

Interestingly, most of the people I know that were really struggling last year seem to be doing MUCH better this year, even with all the extra studying (so don't panic Johnny... this time last year I was biting my fingernails off about summer school or repeating the year, while THIS year I could pretty much answer straight C's on all my finals and still pass). On the other hand, many of the 4.0'ers are going to end up with a B in IHI.

Any other questions, let me know... I always welcome opportunities for study breaks ;)

I calculated how much work the current (and apparently next) notegroups person does...and she makes from $320-600/hr LOL I've decided to fail med school and just become a notegroups chair.

I can't really say anything about your current notegroups chair, but I hope you don't think that this is true for all of them... I guarantee you John makes less than minimum wage for all the work he does. He spends HOURS every day on taking care of everything... it really is a much bigger hassle than you may realize. So be nice :) I am certainly more than happy to pay John for the work he does, and I know most of the people in our class feel the same way.

I can't really say anything about your current notegroups chair, but I hope you don't think that this is true for all of them... I guarantee you John makes less than minimum wage for all the work he does. He spends HOURS every day on taking care of everything... it really is a much bigger hassle than you may realize. So be nice :) I am certainly more than happy to pay John for the work he does, and I know most of the people in our class feel the same way.

From what I've gathered, one big difference between his style and our class notegroups person is that he's really communicative with you guys about what's going on. It seems like he's always giving updates about glitches, issues and whatnot, so you know he's working, and you know he's getting stuff done. Our chair isn't very communicative, so it's hard to know if she actually does anything. She might be spending 40 hours a week on notegroups issues, but we don't know it. Actually, I guess that's the big theme with our class officers -- lack of communication is what causes a big chunk of the hostility. It's the same thing with our exam review guy, our president and our class secretary.

Speaking of notegroups, I have to get to school early (for me) tomorrow and stuff mailboxes.

From what I've gathered, one big difference between his style and our class notegroups person is that he's really communicative with you guys about what's going on. It seems like he's always giving updates about glitches, issues and whatnot, so you know he's working, and you know he's getting stuff done. Our chair isn't very communicative, so it's hard to know if she actually does anything. She might be spending 40 hours a week on notegroups issues, but we don't know it. Actually, I guess that's the big theme with our class officers -- lack of communication is what causes a big chunk of the hostility. It's the same thing with our exam review guy, our president and our class secretary.

Speaking of notegroups, I have to get to school early (for me) tomorrow and stuff mailboxes.

Your notegroups person doesn't talk to you? That would be really frustrating :mad: . Man, I really feel for you guys... I don't understand why these people would run for office if they weren't going to talk to you! I hope you get some better officers in next year... sucks that some are running un-opposed though :(

Your notegroups person doesn't talk to you? That would be really frustrating :mad: . Man, I really feel for you guys... I don't understand why these people would run for office if they weren't going to talk to you! I hope you get some better officers in next year... sucks that some are running un-opposed though :(

She's actually really nice when you talk to her one on one. She just doesn't give any official information about what's going on with notegroups. For example, if things don't show up, we never hear anything from her as to why that happened or what was done about it. Yeah, your class officers seem really impressive. Lucky 2009 people. :mad:

Correct me if I'm wrong (which freeze loves to do :laugh: ).

But we only have to attend:
our PCM physical exam;
our PCM debriefing (gotta remember to wear my briefs);
Physio PBL on 05-07-07;
Neuro PBL on 05-09-07;
Final exams.

Sound right?

That Intergrative Physio on 04-04-07 is not required is it?

She does a lot more than she lets on. And way too nice, which I think might be some of the issue. I'm pretty sure she does the notegroups that don't get assigned or somebody drops the ball on.

I'd put out a weekly list, "So and so got fined for being late, so and so got fined for misnaming, so and so got fined for copying and pasting from 2009..."

But then, my wife says I'm a dick.

I don't think you could make digital notegroups free, because no one is going to be Chair for free. And unless we have some vigilante-style beatings of non-team players, there wouldn't be much accountability. Although, there may not be much now. I wouldn't know, because I turn my **** in on time...

Members don't see this ad :)
She does a lot more than she lets on. And way too nice, which I think might be some of the issue. I'm pretty sure she does the notegroups that don't get assigned or somebody drops the ball on.

I'd put out a weekly list, "So and so got fined for being late, so and so got fined for misnaming, so and so got fined for copying and pasting from 2009..."

But then, my wife says I'm a dick.

I don't think you could make digital notegroups free, because no one is going to be Chair for free. And unless we have some vigilante-style beatings of non-team players, there wouldn't be much accountability. Although, there may not be much now. I wouldn't know, because I turn my **** in on time...

And that's the other thing that has to suck about her job -- she doesn't have any enforcement powers aside from withholding refunds. If she fines you, and you don't pay, what can she do? It's sort of like an honor system, and I doubt all of our classmates follow it.

I like the weekly update idea with the names. :)

our PCM physical exam;
Physio PBL on 05-07-07;
Neuro PBL on 05-09-07;
Final exams.

Sound right?

I need to put this stuff into my schedule because I have a strong feeling I'll forget one of these things.

I think the Integrative Phys is just a review, and the syllabus says nothing about docking 1% for missing it.

This no required classes thing is pretty cool.

And that's the other thing that has to suck about her job -- she doesn't have any enforcement powers aside from withholding refunds. If she fines you, and you don't pay, what can she do? It's sort of like an honor system, and I doubt all of our classmates follow it.

I like the weekly update idea with the names. :)

They could just require a notegroups deposit of $100. And you get it all back at the end of the year minus any penalties for late submissions.

All the note chair should have to do is make a schedule, give out penalties for slackers, and post the names of those who didn't do their job so other students know who to blame and not blame the note chair. If it's done that way, it wouldn't take any time and could be done for free to everyone and the note chair doesn't $200/mo in pay.

All penalty money then gets split up among the student body at the end of the year.

They could just require a notegroups deposit of $100. And you get it all back at the end of the year minus any penalties for late submissions.

All the note chair should have to do is make a schedule, give out penalties for slackers, and post the names of those who didn't do their job so other students know who to blame and not blame the note chair. If it's done that way, it wouldn't take any time and could be done for free to everyone and the note chair doesn't $200/mo in pay.

All penalty money then gets split up among the student body at the end of the year.

That deposit's a good idea. You're brilliant, Johnny! ;)

I think the problem here is "All the note chair should have to do is...". That's actually a lot to do. Making a schedule = big pain, especially when lecture times are constantly changing (as they have done for us this year). Giving out penalties for slackers requires knowing WHO the slackers are, which means staying on top of what's been or hasn't been submitted every single day; reading every single notegroup in a timely fashion to determine if it's adequate or not; sending emails to people who are in violation; keeping track of who owes what money. That still takes a LOT of time, and nobody's going to do it properly for free.

I think the problem here is "All the note chair should have to do is...". That's actually a lot to do. Making a schedule = big pain, especially when lecture times are constantly changing (as they have done for us this year). Giving out penalties for slackers requires knowing WHO the slackers are, which means staying on top of what's been or hasn't been submitted every single day; reading every single notegroup in a timely fashion to determine if it's adequate or not; sending emails to people who are in violation; keeping track of who owes what money. That still takes a LOT of time, and nobody's going to do it properly for free.

And students drop out, and you don't have any way to find out who they are. That's been one of our biggest causes of missing notegroups. I think you'd have to pay me $1000/month to even think about being the notegroups chair.

our PCM physical exam;
Physio PBL on 05-07-07;
Neuro PBL on 05-09-07;
Final exams.

Sound right?

If you haven't heard already, I would strongly encourage you to go to Ross's neuro stuff. He's an excellent lecturer and shows some videos that don't get saved in the broadcasts. His material is also more fascinating than what you've had up until now. Also, you've got Jones this Friday, who is also an awesome lecturer (I think he was nominated for an Aesculapian award this year by our class, but Blakey's gonna win it hands down.)

Now I'm starting to really get offended, they STILL haven't posted my 3rd year courses on blackboard :(

I didn't mean to imply Blackboard, if that's what I said. On Hippocrates, there's a Grades link on the top right hand side that is basically an unofficial transcript. There's nothing on my Blackboard right now about 3rd year stuff (And I don't think there will be).

Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

October surprise in our email, guys. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but why didn't we receive this in our email on the 8th or so?

O'Don's letter is dated April 4th. I just thought it was peculiar that it took more than two weeks for us to receive it.

I didn't mean to imply Blackboard, if that's what I said. On Hippocrates, there's a Grades link on the top right hand side that is basically an unofficial transcript. There's nothing on my Blackboard right now about 3rd year stuff (And I don't think there will be).

Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Though my fall courses still aren't posted, just my one summer course :) It's definitely a relief to know that medicine is worth more than 1st semester of 1st year... I can't possibly screw medicine up as badly as I did anatomy & biochem :laugh: ... wait... I can't, can I? :eek:

O'Don's letter is dated April 4th. I just thought it was peculiar that it took more than two weeks for us to receive it.

ohhh...yea...
quite a surprise lol

I'm gonna write a letter to big bad O`D and let him know I support the profs right to make a joke w/o worrying about the "whiney-phukks" doing there little "you've offended me" dance.:thumbdown:

It's embarrASSing to be assoc w/ those types.

Sos, check your emails. It looks like we IDgaters got an apology on behalf of all of the student government people. Really, it's nice -- I'm glad they did it. I think it could have been a little sooner, but eh.

Sos, check your emails. It looks like we IDgaters got an apology on behalf of all of the student government people. Really, it's nice -- I'm glad they did it. I think it could have been a little sooner, but eh.

Sounds like too little too late from people that would like your vote. ;)

MmmmmmmMmmmMmm

coffee :biglove:

That would be optimistic of me. :)

I just love coffee.

I "should" pull an all-nighter.

How's your studying going?

I have an uncanny ability to make women stop talking to me :rolleyes:

What is the deposit amount upon acceptance?

:cool:

What is the deposit amount upon acceptance?

:cool:

Last year it was $100, which I think is the maximum that any allopathic school can charge.

So for all you non-going-to-class slackers, I actually did attend neuro today and got some good info. The problem solving session that's scheduled for Wednesday of the week before exams has been moved one day forward to Tuesday at 8:30, so we don't have to go to school any day beyond Tuesday of that week. :thumbup:

Also, attendance is not mandatory, but you get 1/4 of a point bonus added to your final grade for anything that you answer correctly at the session. Again, you can also confer with your group, so hopefully it'll be some freebee points.

I'm happy with Dr. Blair today. :)

Sorry. :oops: My study's not going. I'm so far behind, and I guess I need to study all weekend. :(

I'm so jealous of you guys... you get to study until May 18, and then you're free as birds until August... :( :( :(

I don't know about any of the other '09ers, but this has definitely been my low point in terms of mood & general happiness thus far... I'm hoping it'll only get better from here though. I don't think I'll really have time to be depressed 3rd year, and 4th year is mostly vacation... then intern year will suck again, but I'll at least be getting paid...

Thesis: the end of 2nd year really really sucks. :thumbdown:

EDIT: The three frowny faces at your happiness may be a tad bit overkill... I think I meant to say I'm really really happy for you all :D

I'm so jealous of you guys... you get to study until May 18, and then you're free as birds until August... :( :( :(

I don't know about any of the other '09ers, but this has definitely been my low point in terms of mood & general happiness thus far... I'm hoping it'll only get better from here though. I don't think I'll really have time to be depressed 3rd year, and 4th year is mostly vacation... then intern year will suck again, but I'll at least be getting paid...

Thesis: the end of 2nd year really really sucks. :thumbdown:

Yeah, it seems like there's a lot of that going on with the MS2s -- I can see why. Your reward for finishing exams is to study for Step I. :(

I'm hoping this is the lowest point for you all.

Last year it was $100, which I think is the maximum that any allopathic school can charge.

So for all you non-going-to-class slackers, I actually did attend neuro today and got some good info. The problem solving session that's scheduled for Wednesday of the week before exams has been moved one day forward to Tuesday at 8:30, so we don't have to go to school any day beyond Tuesday of that week. :thumbup:

Also, attendance is not mandatory, but you get 1/4 of a point bonus added to your final grade for anything that you answer correctly at the session. Again, you can also confer with your group, so hopefully it'll be some freebee points.

I'm happy with Dr. Blair today. :)

You went to class? Trying to make me look bad huh.. :p

Did he say how many questions there would be or whether it'd be a clicker thing or written?

They'll probably be 4, and I'll miss all of them. :(

there are usually 10 questions at each problem solving session. yay for no step 1 this year. boo to take it next year. my 5 yr college reunion is next summer and i really hope that step doesnt interfere with it. wow that makes me feel old.

Status
Not open for further replies.