University of Oklahoma -- all peeps -- part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh-oh. I forgot that there was one person who might nail me.

I feel the same way NTT...
being single has it's low points ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I feel the same way NTT...
being single has it's low points ;)
OMG, I fell on the floor laughing!! That's a whole separate topic altogether. I keep thinking that I have no right to impose myself apon anyone since, as a medical student, I have no free time at all. If I ever got a decent proposition, I'm not sure I'd even remember what to do with it at this point. Nor I am I sure how the hairy woman I sleep with would feel about her side of the bed being taken!!

Actually, Geoff's a good guy. A couple of "mea culpa" got me off the hook. I just didn't know he had a long enough arm to reach out and slap me from Brazil! I'm getting too old for all of this newfangled technology.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is kinda funny. Al Gore's kid is busted again for drugs...but it's some of the wording that cracked me up.

===================
(the headline)
"Al Gore's son busted for drugs in hybrid car"

(1st paragraph)
"The 24-year-old son of former Vice President Al Gore was arrested for drug possession on Wednesday after he was stopped for speeding in his hybrid Toyota Prius, a sheriff's official said."

(2nd paragraph)
"Al Gore III -- whose father is a leading advocate of policies to fight global warming -- was driving his environmentally friendly car at about 100 miles per hour on a freeway south of Los Angeles..."

(end of final paragraph)
"The one-time presidential candidate is one of the organizers of the Live Earth concerts taking place around the world on July 7. The concerts are designed to raise awareness of global warming."
======================

This "story" about a grown man getting arrested again with drugs ended up sounding like one of Al Gore's commercials. :laugh:

So I was wondering, how many total hours weekly and what percentage of time did you guys spend studying/attending class for the 1st year first semester courses:

Anatomy
Embryology
Biochem
Human Behavior
PCM

Did I leave any out?

So I was wondering, how many total hours weekly and what percentage of time did you guys spend studying/attending class for the 1st year first semester courses:

Anatomy
Embryology
Biochem
Human Behavior
PCM

Did I leave any out?

I never kept track on how much I studied -- some weeks I studied most of the day and some I didn't study much at all. What I can say is that the vast, vast majority of all my studying time was spent on anatomy and biochem (and more anatomy than biochem because biochem is more crammable, imo).

I went to most embryo and HB lectures, and I generally started studying embryo the week before exam block -- I'd devote a day or two primarily to embryo. One thing to note is that the first exam for embryo is the hardest, so put a little more effort into the first test block. HB is a class that pretty much everyone passes, and most people make As. The questions are pretty intuitive, and you really can get away with not studying until the night before the exam, especially if you go to lecture.

PCM is probably the easiest class for everyone. You write 3 short papers throughout the year, and you have one exam in the 3rd test block. Studying the night before works for that test, too. You're theoretically supposed to read all these sections in the textbook, but it seemed unnecessary for the test and for the class. PCM activities (either meeting with half your mod or with your preceptor) take up one afternoon a week. One big schedule saver is to do an overnight rotation for one of your preceptorships -- that leaves you 5 extra free afternoons.

I have no clue how anatomy is going to be for you guys. Biochem is boring and full of nit picky details but not super hard. I really don't think I did much for biochem until the week before exam block and would devote maybe 3 to 4 full days to studying it. The great thing about biochem is that the first test covers the least content and is worth the most points. You really spend the first two weeks covering about 2 days of material. I'd rate going to biochem lecture as a waste of time, especially since it meets at 8 am every day.

I went to most embryo and HB lectures, and I generally started studying embryo the week before exam block -- I'd devote a day or two primarily to embryo. One thing to note is that the first exam for embryo is the hardest, so put a little more effort into the first test block. HB is a class that pretty much everyone passes, and most people make As. The questions are pretty intuitive, and you really can get away with not studying until the night before the exam, especially if you go to lecture.

Were embryo and HB lectures on the same days?

One big schedule saver is to do an overnight rotation for one of your preceptorships -- that leaves you 5 extra free afternoons.

I will definitely keep that one in mind.

Were embryo and HB lectures on the same days?

No, unfortunately. HB is at 10 am on Tues. and Thurs., and embryo is at 10 am on Wed. Of course there's always the option of listening to the recorded lectures if you can't go. That never worked for me because I don't have the discipline to do it, but other people manage to.

No, unfortunately. HB is at 10 am on Tues. and Thurs., and embryo is at 10 am on Wed. Of course there's always the option of listening to the recorded lectures if you can't go. That never worked for me because I don't have the discipline to do it, but other people manage to.

I think the recorded lectures will work well for me. I took a couple of courses through distance learning and loved that I could do it whenever.

No going to class for me....except the dungeon :laugh:

Edit: Plus you can listen to the lectures at greater speed with some software

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the recorded lectures will work well for me. I took a couple of courses through distance learning and loved that I could do it whenever.

No going to class for me....except the dungeon :laugh:

Edit: Plus you can listen to the lectures at greater speed with some software
I recommend that you go to class for Block 1. You need to get a feel for how closely the material tracks to the syllabus. It's my opinion (and Bagel might agree with me on some things - but she's a successful home-schooler) that you need to attend the class for a while before you understand the "rhythm" of that class and how much you're going to need to study for that class. You don't know how to "make up" for studying at home if you never attend lectures in the first place. Plus... even though you're a non-trad and family man, you'll get to know your mod and the rest of your class during Block 1. You'll miss some important social contacts if nobody ever sees you.

We can't tell you much of anything about how anatomy is going to be handled. I gather that attendance is not going to be required - it wasn't for us, either, but you got free points for showing up so nearly everyone did - but I think O'Don is discontinuing that. If you haven't read the material ahead of time, you won't get much out of lecture - O'Donoughue talks fast. I used to attend lectures then take a lot of notes at home on the PowerPoint slides while re-listening to the lecture played at slow speed.

Embryo - I'd definitely go for block 1. I was expecting an easy exam for the first block and got a rather nasty surprise. Dr. Tomasek is a great lecturer and he makes the material pretty understandable - and the big trick to early embryo is being able to keep straight what's going on in 3 dimensions. Actually, I almost never missed Embryo - I hated the class and I think that made it a little harder for me. Dr. Rada is a pretty dull lecturer (I thought) - but her syllabus is very complete for some sections and just a skeleton outline for others. Her PowerPoints are very complete, though. Just a warning: know both the syllabus and the PowerPoints. They don't overlap 100% and she pulls questions from both places. Also, do not be misled by Tomasek's comprehensive review just before the block 1 exam. It's very helpful, and I listened to the broadcast tape three or four times before the exam, but it is not in sufficient depth to get you an "A" on that test. Remember that there are dentistry and some allied health students in that class - but medical students get an exam designed for us - and it's harder.

Biochem - I was pretty faithful about going until late in block 2 - then I often blew it off - cold, rainy, late-Fall/early-Winter days and 8:00am do not mix, in my book. The good news is that the biochem syllabi tend to be very complete. Don't get lulled into complacency by block 1 - it's a pretty easy exam. Block 2 covers metabolism of carbs/fats/proteins - basically, an entire semester of undergrad biochem in one block. If you didn't have undergrad biochem, I wouldn't miss the lectures. Not an easy test. Also, don't be fooled by Dr. Weigel - he is a great lecturer and he makes his material seem simple - I probably understood his stuff better than anybody else's on blocks 2 and 3 - and I still missed more of his questions than anybody else's. His test questions ain't easy. Also, when he did his block 2 review, he flipped through his slides saying "don't worry about this, don't worry about this..." - he lied - his questions were considerably more detailed than what he would lead you to believe in his review. Also, beware - Dr. Hanas often questions over points he made in lecture that aren't in his syllabus.

HB - Going to HB is sometimes worth it for the entertainment value alone. First exam is particularly easy. Swore I wouldn't wait until the night before to prepare for HB - but I pulled all-nighters on all three blocks. From the looks of your classmates on test morning, you'll realize that most of your classmates did, too. I would recommend not missing Dr. Tucker's series on Violence and Aggression and Human Sexuality. I hated sex films first thing in the morning - but Dr. Tucker's questions are challenging and her syllabus material is a foot thick - and you really won't know what she expects unless you're in lecture or you listen to the tapes. Some people are very heroic and report accurately in notegroups what the instructor said to know - but HB notegroups are notorious for being blown-off, and you can't always trust them. If you don't go, always keep an eye out on what's going on in HB - some instructors give bonus points for little in-class quizzes, and those are easy points that you get for just showing up.

Never rely on notegroups as a primary study tool. Hopefully, you guys will have a good notegroups chair. I always glanced over notegroups to look for stuff added to the lecture that wasn't in the syllabus, but I also often found things that were just flat factually incorrect. Notegroups is a volunteer effort - some people are quite good, and some people aren't.

Your two big classes are Anatomy and Biochem - and you'll know how you're doing after the mini exams, which come at the end of the third week and the beginning of the fourth week. If O'Don follows tradition, the Anatomy mini is only 5% of your grade, but you'll get a great feel for what "real" test questions are going to be like - so study hard. The comment I heard most frequently was, "I didn't think it would be that detailed." Welcome to Gross Anatomy! Biochem mini is 12% of your grade so don't blow it off - most of it is Leon's easy stuff. Note to self, however: Dr. Bidichandani, who lectures on genetics, gives really easy questions over his material on the mini. He pulls the gloves off in block 1, so don't think "Dr. B" always gives easy questions - he doesn't. But he does give excellent lectures and very good pre-test reviews.

Can you tell I wrote sections of the first-year guide? Hope this was a little helpful. If it is, I'll expound on semester 2 at some later date.

I really recommend that you go to class for Block 1. You really need to get a feel for how closely the material tracks to the syllabus. It's my opinion (and Bagel might agree with me on some things - but she's a successful home-schooler) that you need to attend the class for a while before you understand the "rythm" of that class and how much you're going to need to study for that class. You don't know how to "make up" for studying at home if you never attend lectures in the first place. Plus... even though you're a non-trad and family man, you'll get to know your mod and the rest of your class during Block 1. You'll miss some important social contacts if nobody ever sees you.

Can you tell I wrote sections of the first-year guide? Hope this was a little helpful. If it is, I'll expound on semester 2 at some later date.

I definitely plan on attending classes at first like you said to get the feel of it.

And your exposition was definitely helpful. Please feel free to comment on semester 2 over Christmas break...

Don't encourage me too much.

Listen, I'll give you my secret to success - and nobody else that I know did this - but it sure worked for me. You'll find what works for you with experience.

All classes (with some exceptions in HB) will have PowerPoints that go with each lecture. Most people I know just took notes on their syllabus - in the margins. I took my notes on the PowerPoint slides, using the "notes" view - sometimes by hauling my laptop to class, sometimes at home, listening to the tape. Generally, the PowerPoints will cover everything you need to know.

I'm very visual and the color slides were great for me. I bought a color laser printer for something over $300 - and then spent, oh, maybe $200 on toner for both semesters last year. I'd print the slides with my notes and put 'em in a notebook. That meant that, with slides plus syllabus pages, I'd usually have a 3" notebook stuffed full for each block of anatomy and biochem. All I can say is, I did pretty well - and I didn't study 24/7. If I understood everything on the PowerPoints, generally I could breeze through the syllabus pretty fast.

I'm sure a lot of people reviewed the PowerPoints on-screen, but I needed 'em printed out to cogitate over them. Just a suggestion - but it worked for me.

Hey speaking of sour grapes and communication issues, didn't they say here that the unofficial guide would be sent to all students so we could review it and add input? Or was the review buried somewhere in the meeting notes? I know a lot of us b*tched about the homeschooling info in last year's guide -- I'm not the only homeschooler who very rarely listened to audio lectures and managed to do well, but last year's unofficial guide might it sound like listening to lectures was what you had to do as a homeschooler. I also thought the guide tended to exaggerate the difficulty of some classes. You can indeed put off histology until the night before and do well -- really, you can. :)

My other gripe is that I think the topics for the disorientation video are rude. I thought they were rude last year, too, so it's too bad that we're continuing in the bashing tradition. Anyway, incoming students -- if you think the videos are distasteful in their treatment of other schools, they don't represent our whole class. Goodness, I'm tempted to say the subjects are unprofessional. ;)

Hey speaking of sour grapes and communication issues, didn't they say here that the unofficial guide would be sent to all students so we could review it and add input?

My other gripe is that I think the topics for the disorientation video are rude. I thought they were rude last year, too, so it's too bad that we're continuing in the bashing tradition. Anyway, incoming students -- if you think the videos are distasteful in their treatment of other schools, they don't represent our whole class. Goodness, I'm tempted to say the subjects are unprofessional. ;)
Gosh, I don't know if they said the Unofficial Guide would go out for review. Teddi Lee is editing it this month - you might remind Jordan that you'd like to see it with a "cc" to Teddi. Jordan is certainly determined to hit the ground running, and I think you'll find him very responsive. I'm not sure they could ever incorporate everyone's comments, but I think someone like you - who has home-schooled very well - should have your comments put in.

I totally re-wrote the section on stress management. I thought our guide made light of a very serious subject. I put a lot more material in about how to get help from the counseling center and the family medicine center. To my mind, medical school is a difficult transition and quite a few people need some help to just adjust to the stress - I did.

On the 2011 orientation video, all I can say is that I'm concerned with what I've seen proposed so far and I'm sending my comments to Jordan (I think I tend to be the "old curmudgeon" of that group) - you could, too, if you wanted to do so. I'm glad you brought it up. I wasn't terribly offended last year - the medical/dental student rivalry is well-known - but I see your point. The insult to another medical school was in poor taste. Making light of any other school on campus besides dentistry, however, is - to me - very risky. Even though they're independent professions, all of them rely on physician orders. And, whether it's appropriate or not, I do consider the medical school to be the "senior" school on campus - and I think we should be classy enough never to point that out. I'm hoping we don't raz other colleges on campus, because it would put us in a very poor light - and you have to assume that the video will be completely public one way or another.

Good bye summer!

Rotations start tomorrow for us. :)

Don't go to the Presbyterian ER this week during the evenings, otherwise you might have an unlucky freshly-minted MS3 doing your admission if you need to stay overnight. ;)

Good bye summer!

Rotations start tomorrow for us. :)

Don't go to the Presbyterian ER this week during the evenings, otherwise you might have an unlucky freshly-minted MS3 doing your admission if you need to stay overnight. ;)

I'm pretty terrified, but definitely more than a little excited as well... although I was definitely very surprised to learn that there's a decent chance we could be on call our first day ever and not know until 8am tomorrow that we won't be leaving until 9am Tuesday!! :eek:

Good luck to everyone tomorrow....if by chance you are in Tulsa between now and OU football season, I strongly recommend against needing surgical services.

1>At orientation, we have the option of purchasing notegroups (hardcopies + on-line access) or just on-line access. With a big price difference, do we really need the hardcopies, and are they in color?

2>How many comprehensive finals are there in first year?

3>Is there always "OUCOM gear" available for purchase or do you need to buy it when it comes around.

4>Coming from Dallas, there are Whataburgers everywhere. What is good fast-food breakfast in OKC? I know that I'm just gonna miss my breakfast taquitos!:confused:

5>Anybody else taking there BLS class on August 6th?

6>With the first disbursement on the 14th and classes on the 13th, should I be putting my books and supplies on a credit card or should I wait? In undergrad, there was always syllabus day, but I don't want to expect that and only rush around trying to catch up.

7>Speaking of, how is the book inventory situation? They know that there are 162 of us. So is it too much to expect that they will have ample NEW books for everyone?

I :love: SDN!!!!!!!!!

THE University of Oklahoma College of Medicine Class of 2011

At orientation, we have the option of purchasing notegroups (hardcopies + on-line access) or just on-line access. With a big price difference, do we really need the hardcopies, and are they in color?
Whether or not you want hardcopies depends on how you use notegroups. They're a pain in the *ss to file after a while; I just printed the ones I wanted to use. But, if you use most of them, you'll spend a lot of toner/ink to print them all at home. A very few people add color figures, but the majority are monochrome. Hardcopies are just xeroxed monochrome regardless.
How many comprehensive finals are there in first year?
Real comprehensive: there are 2 - physio and neuro, both second semester. HB has 2 semi-comprehensives (remember it's a full-year course). PCM has 1, but it's easy.
Is there always "OUCOM gear" available for purchase or do you need to buy it when it comes around.
It's an old tradition for the second year class to make tons of money off the enthusiasm of the incoming first years, so you need to buy it now. The bookstore has a few cheesy T-shirts, but the good stuff is only once a year.
Coming from Dallas, there are Whataburgers everywhere. What is good fast-food breakfast in OKC? I know that I'm just gonna miss my breakfast taquitos!:confused:
You'll be pleased to know that Southern fine dining like Whataburger is also available in OKC. No worries. OKC also is the headquarters of Sonic (yummy). Many of the fast-food dives on NW 23rd Street are 24 hours.
With the first disbursement on the 14th and classes on the 13th, should I be putting my books and supplies on a credit card or should I wait? Speaking of, how is the book inventory situation? They know that there are 162 of us. So is it too much to expect that they will have ample NEW books for everyone?
It's up to you. You could write a check on the 13th and be fine - you think the bookstore doesn't know when disbursement is? If you wait too late, you might have to wait while the bookstore reorders a certain book - only 2-3 days, but probably a hassle you don't need when you're new. You can also get a $500 emergency loan from the bursar if you don't need it for anything except books - it comes out of your disbursement. OUHSC is not in the book business - the bookstore is Radcliffe's, a private company. They're generally pretty good, but ordering books is not nearly as simple as just getting 162. Some people buy used privately, some mailorder through Amazon, and many don't buy certain books.

Ditto for internal medicine at Presby or the VA ;)
Good luck, guys!! Having Step-I under our 2010 belt and getting out on the wards seems so far away - but I bet this year will fly just as fast as last year did!!

Some people buy used privately, some mailorder through Amazon, and many don't buy certain books.

Speaking of which, are there any books that we definitely should or shouldn't buy?

I already picked up a used Lippincott's for biochem, and Rohen's for anatomy along with some Netter's flashcards (I'm debating buying Netters' atlas).

Is the Moore anatomy book good, and if so, should we get the abridged version or the monster version?

What about the book for embryology?

1>At orientation, we have the option of purchasing notegroups (hardcopies + on-line access) or just on-line access. With a big price difference, do we really need the hardcopies, and are they in color?

I don't remember exactly -- the full thing with paper costs about $175, and I got a $60 refund in the winter for opting out of the paper option. From that, I'm guessing online only is around $100. I never used my paper notegroups and thought they were a hassle to keep track of, but I knew one or two (yeah, that few) people who really liked them on paper. They are not in color. I would only opt for paper if you're one of those people who hates to read from your computer screen.

2>How many comprehensive finals are there in first year?

None in the fall except HB, which only covers 2 test blocks (no HB on the third test block). In the spring, HB, neuro and physiology are all comprehensive. Again, HB is in the second test block of the spring and only covers 2 test blocks. Don't know about anatomy plans for next year, though -- that would have been the worst for comprehensive, imo.

3>Is there always "OUCOM gear" available for purchase or do you need to buy it when it comes around.

You can get some at the bookstore, I think, and various classes have sales throughout the year. You'll probably get the best stuff/deals if you buy during the class sales.

4>Coming from Dallas, there are Whataburgers everywhere. What is good fast-food breakfast in OKC? I know that I'm just gonna miss my breakfast taquitos!:confused:

I think so, but I'm not sure. Don't know about fast food, but the university hospital cafeteria has a nice breakfast with eggs, biscuits, sausage, bacon, etc. It's really cheap, too.

6>With the first disbursement on the 14th and classes on the 13th, should I be putting my books and supplies on a credit card or should I wait? In undergrad, there was always syllabus day, but I don't want to expect that and only rush around trying to catch up.

You probably can wait. Waiting is actually better because if you don't you have to spend 30 minutes in line. If you wait, you have to go to each department's office to buy the syllabus. Actually depending on your financial situation you might have to wait because you have to write a check or pay cash for the syllabi. With books, you can definitely wait. Actually I'd suggest waiting to buy all books until at least a week of class has gone by. That'll clue you in as to how well the syllabus works for you. Also, books are usually cheaper on amazon.

7>Speaking of, how is the book inventory situation? They know that there are 162 of us. So is it too much to expect that they will have ample NEW books for everyone?

More than ample because most people don't buy books or buy them on amazon. ;)

Speaking of which, are there any books that we definitely should or shouldn't buy?

I already picked up a used Lippincott's for biochem, and Rohen's for anatomy along with some Netter's flashcards (I'm debating buying Netters' atlas).

Is the Moore anatomy book good, and if so, should we get the abridged version or the monster version?

I would stick with where you're at right now and wait until school starts to figure out the rest. I bought the recommended text for embryology and used it some, but it's definitely not something you need.

With anatomy, again we really don't know, which sucks for you guys -- a new prof in the most anxiety producing first year class has to be a little scary. I really liked Moore (yeah, the big monster one :) ), but I'm a reader. I learn best from reading text with paragraphs and sentences and fancy stuff like that and don't get as much out of memorizing lists. I will say that I was probably the only person who used Moore, though. I'd definitely hold off and see what O'Don recommends.

And I probably should have scrolled up to notice that NTT answered everything. :oops: Yeah, listen to him. :)

So I'm going to Colorado today! Once again glad I'm not a 2009 person.

And I probably should have scrolled up to notice that NTT answered everything. :oops: Yeah, listen to him. :)

So I'm going to Colorado today! Once again glad I'm not a 2009 person.
Hey, have a safe trip, Bagel! You going up to the mountains? Don't get stuck in Tucumcari with a bottle of cheap wine again - it'll become a trend. :laugh:

You know, there's always a lot of debate about which books to buy and which not to buy. So, I'll preface this by saying - I'm a book person, and I usually always buy all the books... and I've never even come close to the absurd amount that they allow for books in your budget. Oddly enough, I've noticed that medical school books are not as expensive as the outrageous sums I was paying for upper-division biology courses in undergrad - like $275 for undergrad anatomy (although it's a beautiful book that would look lovely on a coffee table) - med school books seem to all be paperback.

You need a Netter's - definitely. I like Netter's a great deal - took me a while to realize that nerves are not, on the cadaver, brilliant yellow - but Netter's is great for learning structures. I also ended-up buying a used copy of Grant's, because O'Don is quite fond of Grant's and he uses Grant's figures extensively in his PowerPoints - also, Grant's has some charts/tables/commentary that Netter's does not. I found Grant's most useful for head-and-neck, which is the final block - and biggest headache - in Gross.

I absolutely agree with DocBagel - Moore's (full text) is an excellent textbook. I can tell you ahead of time that O'Don will reference his lectures to pages in Moore's - so will McNeill and Dandajena. If you're not a reader, you can do without it - it's quite a time investment to read - but I would sure have a copy handy in case there is something that you don't understand. The big debate for your class is going to be whether or not to buy Chung's BRS Anatomy. Now, let me tell you ahead of time that O'Don is going to tell you that the book is "trash" and not to buy it (long story of ugly internal politics that I'll spare you). You probably heard that Chung's was our "bible" - and it was. Chung is no longer the Course Director - but, look at it this way - questions on exams are usually re-cycled questions with a known "performance curve". There is no way O'Don can avoid using many, many Chung questions for years to come. Were I you, I would definitely have a Chung's and make sure you can work the practice questions at the end of each chapter - 'cause many of Chung's questions are nearly identical. O'Don is going to tell you not to use BRS, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Buy the book for embryo - it's only about a quarter-inch thick. The text is rather hard to wade through at times - and some chapters I used it, and others I didn't - but, there is a significant amount of Embryo on Step I and you need a reference book to keep.

Oh, and Lippincott's is an excellent text - good choice - the primary text for the course - although you won't need it much as the syllabi are very good. I would also recommend buying "Medical Biochemistry" that Leon will recommend - I didn't use it all that much, but it saved my tail more than once. There is also a text called "Medical Genetics" that you can probably do without - Bidichandani will teach you everything you need on genetics.

Keep your Rohen's away from wife/kids and be careful about using it to study in public places like coffee shops - it'll be routine to you very quickly but, for the general public, it isn't.

Keep your Rohen's away from wife/kids and be careful about using it to study in public places like coffee shops - it'll be routine to you very quickly but, for the general public, it isn't.

No problem with the wife as she is an NP. I showed it to some of my engineering colleages and they were actually pretty interested in it, especially the sections through the entire body. They were a little freaked out by some of the head and neck and pelvic dissections though.

I cant wait for september....oh what a glorious month.

Ouch... is surgery that bad? Medicine really hasn't been too bad so far... don't have to get here until 7:30 :thumbup: We have real overnight call though at the VA.

Do they still have overnight call for surgery at Tulsa? They took away our call rooms here, so we only have call until 10pm (but have to be back bright and early the next am for rounds).

Boy it's been a while...

Went to St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands for 8 days. It was lovely and relaxing, but I imagine there are nicer places in the Carribbean that you could spend an equal amount of money on, so I'd probably suggest other places. I got to scuba dive, which was pretty neat - I swam about 2 feet away from a real, live sea turtle!

Came back to work for a week & a half...

Then to Buena Vista, Colorado for a week with my folks. They are looking to buy land & retire there. I got to whitewater raft, which was AWESOME. Highly recommend it to anyone with any sort of a need for thrills.

Back to work now until July 31st. My fiance's son is in town for the month, so I'm step-momming it for the duration of the summer. Then S.O. and I are going to DC for a few days. We fly back in to Dallas at 6pm on Tuesday... thus I will not make it to dis-orientation :(. If there is an after party though, someone better call me. If anyone's going to pre-orientation that would plan on going out for some get to know you drinks afterwards, get my number so I can join in. I'm bummed that I won't be able to make it, but I booked my flight before I knew the exact details of starting school. I thought I'd be totally safe going from 8/4 - 8/7...

One of our mailings said that we sign up for notegroups at pre-orientation. Since I won't be there, how am I supposed to sign up?

Hard to believe we start in one month & 2 days... anyone else feel those butterflies yet?

I think I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome... :( Not sure how to deal with that just yet. On a related note, I'm stressed about health insurance. I'm looking forward to some good coverage. I currently have a reeeeally high deductible insurance policy that I very much don't want. I also have pre-existing conditions and need some scripts that aren't on that wonderful $4 list from Wal-mart. So... when you guys say the school insurance policy sucks, could you give a little more detail on that? Like... say, exact #'s on price/month and disclaimers for pre-exisiting conditions and maybe perscription med coverage? I know we're supposed to get a mailing on it, but I'm not a patient person...

Oh, and BTW I am also signed up for July 18 BLS fam. med course. See ya there, whomever is coming then, although I may be a little ackward about saying "are you _____ from SDN?" cuz it's kinda lame... :rolleyes:
But I won't roll my eyes at you for saying it :).

Surgery is tough, but it is a lot of fun too. We do have overnight call...in fact, im up tomorrow. Im in my 1st patient's room before 5 everyday. My team really gives me a lot of room to "hang myself" This is a little different than some of my friends who have a more structured day. I usually see patients and write notes from 5ish to 7 or 8 depending on the day, then meet my team and go to the OR until 5-6. It makes for a long day, but I usually dont even look at the clock until 4ish. Surgery is fun, but it is also very taxing.

Ouch... is surgery that bad? Medicine really hasn't been too bad so far... don't have to get here until 7:30 :thumbup: We have real overnight call though at the VA.

Do they still have overnight call for surgery at Tulsa? They took away our call rooms here, so we only have call until 10pm (but have to be back bright and early the next am for rounds).

On a related note, I'm stressed about health insurance. I'm looking forward to some good coverage. I currently have a reeeeally high deductible insurance policy that I very much don't want. I also have pre-existing conditions and need some scripts that aren't on that wonderful $4 list from Wal-mart. So... when you guys say the school insurance policy sucks, could you give a little more detail on that? Like... say, exact #'s on price/month and disclaimers for pre-exisiting conditions and maybe perscription med coverage? I know we're supposed to get a mailing on it, but I'm not a patient person...
Welcome home, Jwax!! Why is everyone going to fun places and I'm going to the office everyday? (glp excluded, of course, he's slaving away...) On a serious note, you can go to www.macori.com and see the whole Certificate of Coverage for OUHSC. Everyone complains about it, but - to me - it's not bad coverage for the cost. You have to get your primary care at the OU Family Medicine Clinic, but I got over my snobbishness. Anyway, the big difference between Plan I and Plan II (Plan I is about twice Plan II) is prescription drugs.

On the down side, there is a 12-month pre-ex exclusion. Will you get snagged on pre-ex just for drugs? Probably not, if they'll write 'em for you in the family medicine clinic. But if you might need services for your pre-existing condition that can't be provided within the family medicine clinic, they'll "freeze" those claims until pre-ex is verified.

Hard to believe we start in one month & 2 days... anyone else feel those butterflies yet?

You know that feeling you used to get as a kid the night before your family was going to Six Flags. Very little sleep. Adrenaline rushes.
I catch myself daydreaming about sitting in the lecture hall soaking up every word. Call me a gunner, if you would like, but I've been waiting for this for a very, very long time. I intend to get my monies worth and then some.

BOOMER!!!!!!!!
:cool:

No butterflies for me, but I am too busy for butterflies. I am sure on Aug. 6 it will just hit me like a ton of bricks though.

Oh, and BTW I am also signed up for July 18 BLS fam. med course. See ya there, whomever is coming then, although I may be a little ackward about saying "are you _____ from SDN?" cuz it's kinda lame... :rolleyes:
But I won't roll my eyes at you for saying it :).

I'm there. I just got an email saying it will be going from 6 PM til like 10:30 PM instead of 10 PM, oh well. No need with me to ask about SDN...just look around the room for a really tall guy who you definitely wouldn't want putting all his weight into the chest compressions and that will be me (plus you already know my real name). :D

I will only call you a gunner if you stab me in the back to get ahead...:cool:

Would not. Could not. Never!!!!!

Plus, you're quite a tall tree to chop down.

(plus you already know my real name). :D

I do? :confused: Hmmm... maybe it will come to me in my sleep.

Thanks for the link, non-trad. I've been viewing it in my spare time. Yeah, I think that 12 month exclusion might bite me... Not too for sure, but I don't know if I could hold out on treatment for a year... :eek: May be time to look at my options. State farm looked like they might have a good student health insurance policy... we'll see.

I catch myself daydreaming about sitting in the lecture hall soaking up every word. Call me a gunner, if you would like, but I've been waiting for this for a very, very long time. I intend to get my monies worth and then some.
I'm so proud of myself. I've been giggling at the above for two whole days, but managed to wait until now to post. Hehehe... actually, I truly admire your enthusiasm, soonerfan - that will help get you through the tough days. Something I read recently is probably, to an extent, true - medical schools seek well-rounded, enthusiastic, creative candidates and then proceed to beat all of that out of them!!

Jwax, if you can find other coverage, I would certainly look at that - although, if you have a pre-ex condition, you'll have an impossible time with getting individual coverage underwritten. You might look at the AMSA website - they have medical student insurance and it may have a less-punitive pre-ex clause. They won't underwrite anyone over 40, so it wasn't an option for me. The school-sponsored Macori is a great deal for me since it's priced based on most students being 21-25 - coverage for me as a 45-year old man should cost 2 to 3 times what I'm paying Macori. As a traditional student, you have far more options.

Not too for sure, but I don't know if I could hold out on treatment for a year... :eek:
Well, if you have to go with Macori, just remember that - as long as your condition can be managed by a Family Practice physician in the Family Medicine Clinic, the issue of pre-ex isn't going to come up. I would never suggest that anyone be less-than-honest, but honesty isn't the issue here. Your routine visits to a physician are part of your Student Health Fee and paid by OU, not Macori. Of course, if you became ill and needed a specialist, you'd have a problem. I had to have one "outside" labwork done for a condition that I knew would cause a pre-ex fight - so I just paid for it in cash to avoid the headache.

I think that I remember SoonerEng's name. Hint: Starts with a "J" and ends with a "Y"... or possibly an "ie." But to be fair, I had a personal introduction.

Anyway, I just got back from Central America and I have not yet signed up for a BLS course. Think I will be able to get in on the 18th? That is the one I would prefer... just to get it taken care of.

Also, I had some questions about Student Government. From the first part of this thread, I gathered that most of you dislike the members of student government... and particularly the Notegroups chair.

My questions:
1) Is there a tangible benefit to being in student gov? Does it look good on your residency considerations? Do you get a better Dean's letter out of it? Call me selfish, but I doubt that I would have all that much interest in getting involved if there was not some personal benefit. (Periodic free meals are a personal benefit).

2) The exception to my above statement is if someone screws something up that affects me... like Notegroups. What exactly was the flaw with Notegroups? I would consider running for Notegroups chair if I felt that I could at least make sure that they are useful. I sort of know the 2010 Notegroups chair, and he seemed like a pretty capable guy. Would it be worth while to put myself out there for it or does the system in place set the chairman up for failure?

3) Are there any worthwhile student organizations to get involved in? I don't really think I will end up in family practice, but there is that organization that I assume I will attend the cook-out for on the 8th. Would it be worth joining? I don't have my paperwork here, but it is like Oklahoma Family Medicine Association or something.

More questions soon!

I think that I remember SoonerEng's name. Hint: Starts with a "J" and ends with a "Y"... or possibly an "ie." But to be fair, I had a personal introduction.

I'm impressed SoonerGeek, although I have to admit I have forgotten your name. I remember where you used to work (I assume you quit early since you went to Central America), what you look like, and how old you are (which is easy since we were about the same age), but I can't remember your name for the life of me. :oops: Funny how the brain works like that.

About the BLS, I don't know if the class is full or not, but email Audra. She was pretty quick about answering her email for me.

BOOMER!!!!!!!!

I smell a future homeschooler, who'll look back on this post in a couple years and be like "What the hell was I thinking?":laugh:

(This was me, BTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.